Utangard - An AoT Inspired Story (An Interest Check)

Started by TheSithChicken, December 09, 2017, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSithChicken

Warning: Poster may (definitely) be in an (exceedingly and almost obnoxiously) weird mood today. You have been (woefully inadequately) warned.

About a year and a half ago I attempted to run an Attack on Titan game here on Elliquiy - and by the word "attempt" in the description you can guess how well that went. It failed for a number of reasons. Not the least of which being me not having a real plan for the game beyond "Holy shit this game is fun and I want to inflict it upon run it for people!" Not my best moment as a GM but - to be fair - far from my worst. Seriously. My early days as an a GM were a complete shitshow. Weirdly, and in spite of my earlier failure, one of my players from the original game contacted me about trying my hand at the game again. At first I was thinking no but then I figured if he could embrace masochism to that extent the least I could do was pick up the whip again.

So let's get to the game and what I am thinking - and then we'll see if anyone wants to give this a shot.

Long ago, the world belonged to humans. Those days vanished, however, when the Titans came.

The origins of the Titans remain shrouded in mystery. All we know is that their rise was sudden and brutal, and soon, they were everywhere. Massive and all but indestructible, the Titans sought nothing but to eat humans.

And eat they did - before long, humans had been pushed to the brink of extinction. Now this world belongs to the Titans.

All that remains of humanity lives in a single nation, surrounded by three enormous walls. The world beyond the walls is a dangerous one, full of ravenous Titans that seek nothing more than to consume human flesh. Behind the walls, humanity is safe - but all it would take is a single breach to plunge humanity into chaos once more.

If the first wall were to break, half of humanity’s territory would be lost. If the second were to break, what little remained would not be able to support even its own population, let alone the refugees from outside.

If the third wall broke, then every last human would surely be devoured.

You have just graduated from the military training corps, and been trained in the dangerous craft of fighting Titans.

People like you patrol the walls, keep the peace, and go on expeditions beyond the walls to unearth resources and information.

You do not know the true horror of battle between man and Titan.

But you will.

Utangard will be a game based off of the premise of the Attack on Titan anime/manga and it's themes but that's it. No prior knowledge of the anime/manga or system (more on that later) is necessary. The anime/manga will not determine the direction of the story. This is only inspired by AoT. I will also be drawing inspiration from the Xcom games (more on that in a second), the Shadow of Mordor/Shadow of War games (did you know the Nemesis system translates easily to tabletop games?), Cthulhutech (my Titan Shifters will be a little different narratively), and the swirling madness that passes as my brain with a dash of steampunk because of Rule of Cool.

So what does all of that mean? You might ask, oh theoretical reader of this post - and that is a great question! Even if I did basically ask it of myself. It means that this will be a harsh, unforgiving, and bloody game without a safety net. No one has plot armor and death can come at basically any time.

The Xcom influence lies in what D&D players call the Westmarches Style. Basically Westmarches Style campaigns are ones without a singular party, but a collection of people who sometimes form parties.  They go out on discrete adventures to gain loot, glory, and, most importantly, information that will uncover new adventures and advance the various plot threads strewn about.  This means you won't always venture forth with the same group of people, or at all, giving time for free form social RP. Very Xcom mission style. You will have a roster of rookies and soldiers that you can choose from for each mission as others are still recovering from injury or mental trauma. Missions will have different goals and scenarios with different rewards ranging from resources to plot hooks.

The Nemesis System is a behind the scenes* kind of thing. A system in my hands to make the players occasionally scream "Oh shit!" Don't worry about it. It's there to give more variety and personality to the Titans as well as occasionally fuck up your day in amusing ways. I'm a GM. It's what I do.

Basically what I am imagining here is a military group (The Scout Regiment) attempting to reclaim territory from the Titans and learn the truth about them. Imagine rapelling** out of an airship*** into a ruined town overrun by monstrous giants looking for a scientist that reports have said may still be alive. Life and death struggles with no guarantee of survival. Monstrous mysteries behind the downfall of humanity. Knowing me those mysteries will probably be Lovecraftian in origin. Relations built and broken on the battlefield - and explored between missions. Loss and grief and triumph bound together by a ruthless world and system.

System wise I will be using the Powered by the Apocalypse system Titan World. The game is free and very simple. Every roll is 2d6 + Stat. 6 or less is a failure with consequences, 7-9 is a partial success, and 10+ is a success. Anyone can play it. Below I will link to my original game thread which has the link to downloading the book as well as a complete in thread explanation of the game and it's inner workings. Don't worry if you're new. I love introducing players to systems and settings.

One last thing I feel the need to cover. I call this the Mandatory Elliquiy Talk. The sex talk. While the game is in the Extreme section it is so more for themes, violence, and the Condom Theory (It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it) than sexual content. While I as the GM will probably never be involved in a sex scene I recognize that is Elliquiy and this shit happens. As such there will be a hanky panky thread***** for such things to occur however I want to keep it the E version of family friendly. By this I mean avoiding the more extreme kinks and sexplay. Basically I don't want someone who may be interested in the game walk away because of the German Shepherd gangbang occurring in one of the threads. If you have questions about what counts as extreme just ask. Fair enough?

So is anyone interested in this rambling mess of a game advertisement?

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279707.0
Game Info: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279702.0

Setting FAQ

Will there be more than one city state for humanity? Maybe. Explore and find out. Just remember that I am a Lovecraft fiend and love Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Will there be any important cultural differences from what is shown in the show and manga? No. I may flesh out the culture more over the course of the game but it will functionally be the same.

Will the Survey Corps exist? Yes - and all the characters (at least at the beginning) will be a part of it.

With it being more steampunk change the equipment we have access to? Not in most areas. The swords, flares, and maneuver gear will be the same. The artillery support will be different and you will have access to an airship (read as zeppelin) for travel. Other stuff may come up but that is all I have planned at the moment in my sleep and League ravaged brain.

Am I asking too many questions? Not at all!

Is my ignorance of the show an issue? Nope!

Can we take a little poetic license? Sure! Just run anything you want to add to the setting past me first in case I have any questions or concerns about it.

Will the artillery be able to kill a Titan? Yes but not at all easily. Artillery will actually serve a purpose in my version of things.

How will Titan Shifting be handled? My Titan Shifters have a different origin than the ones in the show. However you will have to learn about them in game. Can't give away all my secrets now can I? It will be rare though and it will be well documented on the classified side of things even if not fully understood.

The Premise:

Since there seems to be more than enough interest I will lay out some story specifics. The game - much like the anime in question - will begin with the Attack on Shinganshina and the fall of Wall Maria. From there the game will begin with the Survey Corps trying to retake the areas conquered by the Titans - or at least reclaim valuable resources from it. There will be missions, some strategy and resource management, and the like. The more missions are undertaken the more plot hooks will be uncovered for you.

Take not that this is only how the game begins. There will be a larger story or stories going on.

Here I Expound Upon My Asterisks By Explaining And Rifftraxing Myself While Using Unnecessary Capitalization:

* Mostly anyway... I don't want to get hung up on mechanical details here when they will be relevant to only a few characters while the rest will only experience narratively.

** Yes I know it's called fast-roping in this instance but more people will recognize and visualize this term.

*** I like steampunk and hate horses****.

**** Seriously. Fuck Horses.

***** I may only be joking about the name but I'm not sure. I am in a weird mood today.

Lustful Bride

TheSithChicken

DartimusRae

TheSithChicken

Lustful Bride

How much does this version of AoT differ from the Manga and the series?

I see mention of an Airship but I have only gotten so far in the manga itself. To the part where they are all stuck in a tower I think? And one guy is depressed as he is eaten because someone drank all the alcohol and he didn't get a piece.

TheSithChicken

It will differ on pretty much everything except the premise. This is basically my take on the same idea.

DartimusRae

Will any of the canon characters be in the game universe? Or not at all?

TheSithChicken

None of the main characters (Erin, Mikasa, or Armin) for sure. I'll almost certainly replace the other Titan Shifters as well  to better reflect differences in the backstory of the setting. Other than that I will probably be keeping good chunks of the cast in some form or fashion. Details of their backstories may be altered to fit my changes though.

DartimusRae

Hobbes1266

I watched a little bit of the attack on titan anime but lost interest when they brought the main character  (who I don't remembers name) back from the dead, and my interest in trying to push past that was crushed when I heard that the writers didn't actually have an explanation for the titanshifting thing.

That being said, this sounds really fun, so long as dead characters stay dead (with minimal exceptions that are reasonable and fully fully explained) I would be happy. Always interested in seeing a new gaming system, thanks for sharing a new one!

TheSithChicken

A slight correction. The anime's writers didn't have an explanation for the titan shifting (the manga writer definitely did) and they never brought anyone back from the dead. A guy was presumed dead.

But, yes, actually dead characters will stay dead. There is no resurrection in the setting. Canon or otherwise. Death is the end. It's why it's so easy to make new characters! They're like popcorn. Grab a handful and go!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: DarkPrince on December 10, 2017, 12:05:13 PM
A slight correction. The anime's writers didn't have an explanation for the titan shifting (the manga writer definitely did) and they never brought anyone back from the dead. A guy was presumed dead.

But, yes, actually dead characters will stay dead. There is no resurrection in the setting. Canon or otherwise. Death is the end. It's why it's so easy to make new characters! They're like popcorn. Grab a handful and go!

We are playing by Xcom rules everyone. >_<  Don't get attached to characters because Death is always watching.

TheSithChicken

Hobbes1266

That was just my understanding of it, and I wasn't sure if what I'd heard was just about the writers of the anime or the manga as well (but thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it) I went into the show expecting it to be a lethal show that didn't pull punches, and I guess when it pulled the very first punch it threw I lost interest.

But enough of me getting side tracked :D we're here to discuss a game!

I've always wanted some good character deaths, and I'm sure this will definitely provide plenty, especially since the system doesn't even seem to have any kind of hit points, you end up in a titans mouth and no one saves you, you get munched.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Hobbes1266 on December 10, 2017, 12:41:43 PM
That was just my understanding of it, and I wasn't sure if what I'd heard was just about the writers of the anime or the manga as well (but thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it) I went into the show expecting it to be a lethal show that didn't pull punches, and I guess when it pulled the very first punch it threw I lost interest.

Yeah... the show is kind of like later seasons of Game of Thrones. It's not going to off the most popular characters but the side characters will go down harshly. If you want a lethal anime that doesn't pull punches you watch Berserk.

Quote from: Hobbes1266 on December 10, 2017, 12:41:43 PM
But enough of me getting side tracked :D we're here to discuss a game!
I've always wanted some good character deaths, and I'm sure this will definitely provide plenty, especially since the system doesn't even seem to have any kind of hit points, you end up in a titans mouth and no one saves you, you get munched.

Oh yeah... this system is fucking brutal. It gives you a lot of chances to avoid death but only because it's one and you're done, son. Combat at the table is edge of your seat tense. It's a lot fun and will hopefully add some gravitas as relationships are built between characters.

Hobbes1266

I have my (first) character written up. How are the other characters coming along? Since this is only based on attack on titan rather than set in attack on titan, are there any differences to the setting we should be aware of? Will there be more than just the one settlement unlike in aot? Are there any important differences in culture we should be aware of? Will there be the survey corps or something different but similar? Steampunk was mentioned, would that change the equipment we would have available? Am I asking too many questions?

Ontan

There’s the obvious issue of me having never read / watched AoT, but even so, I’d definitely be interested. Thanks to some Wiki-skimming, I’ve got an understanding of the broad strokes (setting, technology, Titan physiology), but I’ll still be relying on this:

Quote from: DarkPrince on December 09, 2017, 08:07:28 PM
Utangard will be a game based off of the premise of the Attack on Titan anime/manga and it's themes but that's it. No prior knowledge of the anime/manga or system (more on that later) is necessary.

Provided my ignorance of the genre isn’t an issue, this is still a game I’d be really excited to join.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 10, 2017, 12:09:24 PM
We are playing by Xcom rules everyone. >_<  Don't get attached to characters because Death is always watching.

I’ve always been a sucker when it comes to games like that (Darkest Dungeon deserves a special mention!), and I can’t wait to see how it plays out in RP format.

Quote from: Hobbes1266 on December 10, 2017, 05:44:45 PM
Steampunk was mentioned, would that change the equipment we would have available? Am I asking too many questions?

I was wondering about that too. Do we have to stick with manoeuvring gear and swords, or can we take a little poetic licence? Could we be a pilot or artillerist aboard an airship (or even just the walls) rather than the melee type? Would use of said artillery be plausibly capable of killing a titan, or only disabling them until someone could deliver a killing blow with their swords? Am I asking too many questions now?

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Hobbes1266 on December 10, 2017, 05:44:45 PM
I have my (first) character written up. How are the other characters coming along? Since this is only based on attack on titan rather than set in attack on titan, are there any differences to the setting we should be aware of? Will there be more than just the one settlement unlike in aot? Are there any important differences in culture we should be aware of? Will there be the survey corps or something different but similar? Steampunk was mentioned, would that change the equipment we would have available? Am I asking too many questions?

I don't think anyone else has started making characters as this was just an interest check but there is obviously enough interest. No such thing as too many questions. Let me do a little brainstorming and I will update the first post with the answers to that.

Quote from: Ontan on December 10, 2017, 11:28:06 PM
There’s the obvious issue of me having never read / watched AoT, but even so, I’d definitely be interested. Thanks to some Wiki-skimming, I’ve got an understanding of the broad strokes (setting, technology, Titan physiology), but I’ll still be relying on this:

Provided my ignorance of the genre isn’t an issue, this is still a game I’d be really excited to join.

Definitely not an issue.

QuoteI’ve always been a sucker when it comes to games like that (Darkest Dungeon deserves a special mention!), and I can’t wait to see how it plays out in RP format.

Darkest Dungeon should always get a special mention.

QuoteI was wondering about that too. Do we have to stick with manoeuvring gear and swords, or can we take a little poetic licence? Could we be a pilot or artillerist aboard an airship (or even just the walls) rather than the melee type? Would use of said artillery be plausibly capable of killing a titan, or only disabling them until someone could deliver a killing blow with their swords? Am I asking too many questions now?

Maneuvering gear and swords will still be the main weapons and gear. If only because I like the idea of steampunk spider-men fighting giant flesh eating titans. There will however be artillery options. I'll get to that after the aforementioned brainstorming.

Hobbes1266

Quote from: DarkPrince on December 11, 2017, 10:09:10 PM
I don't think anyone else has started making characters as this was just an interest check but there is obviously enough interest. No such thing as too many questions. Let me do a little brainstorming and I will update the first post with the answers to that.
Sorry I just enjoy making characters for different systems in my free time anyways, and I only mentioned it in hopes of sparking some kind of discussion.
Quote from: DarkPrince on December 11, 2017, 10:09:10 PM
Maneuvering gear and swords will still be the main weapons and gear. If only because I like the idea of steampunk spider-men fighting giant flesh eating titans. There will however be artillery options. I'll get to that after the aforementioned brainstorming.
Maneuvering gear is practical for fighting giant man eating behemoths with one very specific weak point, as are swords designed to damage said weak spot. There are cannons in the show, and I assume in the manga as well. Some kind of single use explosive charge could be a potentially useful item that could be added to equipment, less need for precision than a blade but  potential for collateral damage, missfires, and such. A lantern might be an alternative to a torch, though it would serve the same function it would just provide a different bit of flavor.

How would the titan shifting be handled in this? Would it be a well documented but possibly not fully understood phenomenon? What causes it? How rare would it be?

TheSithChicken

Updated the first post with a FAQ and a very basic story premise. Feel free to ask more questions.

TheSithChicken

Alright since there is more than enough interest I have opened up OOC and the Game Info thread. Links to both will be edited into the first post. Always willing to answer questions. Well... as much as I can without spoiling things.

DartimusRae

I'm sorry to rouse the game back up, only to have to bow out. Best of luck, have a fantastic story all

TheSithChicken

Ontan

Quote from: DarkPrince on December 09, 2017, 08:07:28 PM
Will the artillery be able to kill a Titan? Yes but not at all easily. Artillery will actually serve a purpose in my version of things.

Good enough for me, heh.