Ultimate Teen Titans (Interest Check for Freeform RP)

Started by chaoslord29, March 14, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord29

Gone is the Golden Age of Super Heroes. Gone is their silver twilight, their dark reflection, their gritty, over the top rebellious phase. We are on the cusp of a new era with new wonders; modern marvels very different from those imagined by the original super scientists and mad doctors of yor, and in it are a new brand of super heroes. The more things change though, the more they stay the same; and while these heroes may be new, the roles they fill, the games they play, the battles they fight have all come before, but never played out the same way twice. It's your role then to take your place in the newest line up of would be super heroes for the next generation! Whether you're a visitor from a different world, a budding teenage mutant, a rebel without a cause, or an existential threat to humanity waiting to happen, there's a place for you as a hero to the people, of the people, and for the people! We'll help you develop those hidden talents, that latent potential into something truly amazing! This is your chance for fame, glory, adventure, all while working with the premier corporate conglomerate in the most exciting fields of research, and humanitarian efforts in the Country. Sign up now at LexCorp office or affiliate and find the nearest recruitment center to you!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
All applicants must undergo testing and screening, all findings of which are the property of LexCorp Multinational and it's affiliates, who may not be held responsible for any damage or malpractice; no obligation or purchase necessary.

Greetings to all those interested parties! Lately I've been of a mind for a particular kind of superhero/villain roleplay, and rather than try and take on such an undertaking all on my lonesome, I'd like to open it up to all of you to get involved. It's an idea I and a few others tried once before on another forum as a strictly play by post role play game (no adult themes) but didn't get very far for reasons best not dwelt on. This is an interest check to see who might like to help me resurrect it, and how we'd like to go about it.

Inspired by "Ultimate" Marvel reboots of various series into a modern setting with modern twists from their original/60s/80s/90s formats, this RP would be predicated on a similar idea for the DC Universe. Instead of happenstance bringing together a group of spry and youthful superheroes and heroines, this will be a new Teen Titans for the 21st century, a team of team superheroes processed, packaged and sold to the public at large as the latest and greatest Teen Sensations; and who better to back such a project than the megalomaniac corporate mastermind himself, Lex Luthor! Just imagining his own personal band of corporate capes, dependent and loyal to him, and what better way to make the Justice League look like the stodgy, goody-two shoes, stick in the muds they are than with a band of edgy teenage supers all the easier to manipulate. Or at least, that's the surface pitch, wit Luthor there's always something more going on behind the scenes . . .

But that's jumping ahead a little. I am proposing to run a Role Play based on the recruitment and assembly and adventures of said teen super heroes, and would like to see if their are similar like minded individuals. Right now, that's all I need from you guys, state your interest, along with some potential character concepts, and a preference for either free-form or a play-by-post rules and dice system, and we'll see where that takes us. I'm happy to run the game in addition to everything else, taking on the role of Luthor, various heroic and villainous adversaries and whatever extras are required. Some other guidelines and requirements to follow . . .

Give it your best shot all!
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

chaoslord29

Rules at this stage:

• At this point I'd like to limit the field to Canon DC Super Heroes; that is, you may create an original persona, with an original background, even with an original alias/identity, but they should be inspired by or bear some likeness to a DC Universe character.
  • In line with that, all DC Super Heroes and Villains are potentially on the table, no previous or canonical affiliation with the Teen Titans is necessary. Want to play the Joker as class clown of the new Teen Titans? That's fine. Want to make a normal goth girl whose "powers" are simply stage iillusions? Want to call those characters Wild Card and Lady Gray without there ever being any other characters like them in this particular continuity? Go for it!
  • Just because you or someone else has declared there interest in a specific character does not mean they are "taken". Their are enough various incarnations of pretty much every Super Hero and Villain that there's room for people to apply with different concepts of the same "character" and even have them all included in the RP. That will be worked out one we progress from the interest check phase.
  • Feel free to talk and chat as you propose various character ideas, and I will do my best to keep track in this post. If I've left someone out or missed someone, just send me a pm, and I'll update it as often as I can. Furthermore, feel free to discuss any ideas with me you might have, or inquire as to the setting as it's being constructed.
  • All characters will of course conform to Elliquiy's age limit policies and I would encourage all players at this point to put their best foot forward in terms of literacy and potential character content.

Character Guidelines:
While this is obviously a pretty Flexible RP, there are a few guidelines I'd like people to keep in mind during the interest and character creation process for the sake of coherency and thematic reasons:

• Please design your character to fit with the above outline. All other elements of their background and persona are up to you, but they must have come to Mr. Luthor's Teen Titans by some reason or another, and have some reason to participate as part of the team. Could be coercion, brainwashing, naivete, greed, but even if you're submitting Teenage Lobo, I don't want your opening post to be "The Main Man works alone!" as you storm off to do your own thing.
  • Again, in keeping with the theme, try and throw in some flair and get creative with the idea of Corporate Capes. Luthor has conceived of his Titans to be sort of flagships or mascots for his company, great for PR, and even better for potential sponsorships, and while your character doesn't have to like that, it should factor into their membership on the Titans one way or another. If you want examples or ideas, please feel free to contact me and we can hash things out.
  • While we're only in the interest check phase right now, I had envisioned this as a higher level role play, plenty of intrigue and drama with the potential for intimacy of course on the table. The focus of this RP will not be however, a smut driven role play for every boy superhero to score with Starfire and Power Girl. Female characters will not be sex dolls, and male characters should not be focused around that notion. Following the interest check, there will be an application process and preference will be given to complex and well thought out and interesting characters with the most potential for plot hooks and team dynamics.

Character Submission Guidelines:
Given the interest shown so far, we will be moving into a formal character application process, and I would encourage all interested parties to submit a character either here in the thread or by PM to me, according to the profile below. Please keep in mind everything during the interest check phase still applies with preference given to those characters with the best written and most interesting character profiles (as judged by me, with due credit and weight given to public lection). I will be accepti

Character Profile for Submission:

[spoiler]
[b]Real Name, Alias:[/b] Your characters given name, followed by their alias as a Teen Titan
[b]Age:[/b] Effective age should be late adolescence: 16-19 for humans.
[b]Gender:[/b] As it pertains to your character.
[b]Height & Weight:[/b] Doesn't need to be in feet and pounds; could be as simple as tall/slim/short/stocky
[b]Personality:[/b] Just a few sentences to give us a feel for your characters normal demeanor and persona, maybe hinting at the deeper elements to be brought out during play. Followup with any significant and relevant character 'flaws' for completeness.
[b]Abilities:[/b] The specific attributes of your character that make them "super": whether that's the strength to benchpress a bus or simply peak physical fitness; super-science gadgets or duct tape; heat beam eye blasts or throwing cards (whether or not they explode). What gives your character the edge over the average and mundane citizens of this world?
[b]Character Background:[/b] Feel free to reveal as much as you like, or pm me with anything you'd like to remain hidden. Should provide at the very least your origins, the circumstances you grew up in, and the development of any super characteristics, and your characters reasons for looking to join the Titans.
[b]Decription:[/b] A written description of your character is mandatory, even if it is only a few sentences accompanying a picture. All pictures should be in concordance with the Elliquiy rules for public pictures in forums.[/spoiler]

Interested Parties/Proposed Characters:
Chaoslord29- Jason Todd as Robin
Cold Heritage- Majestros as Majestrate
AK47- Starfire
Apygoos- Dick Grayson as Nightwing
Shadow879- Raven
AribethAmkiir
Zenpai- Teen Deathstroke
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

apygoos

my young jutice RP has gotten slow moving. need quite a bit of patience before itll get rolling.
i dunno if id be up for "Teen Titans" thoguh

Cold Heritage

I'm interested. I would like to call dibs on Superboy.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 14, 2013, 11:18:16 PM
I'm interested. I would like to call dibs on Superboy.

Haha, no dibs at present, just proposals for potential characters. Once there's a decent amount of interest I'll ask people to submit formal character applications and work out with one another who exactly they'd like to play and the dynamic they're looking for.

Keep in mind too this is a universe where the Justice League already exists and is somewhat established. Now, that doesn't mean any or all of those characters are off the table. After all, what Comic Book superhero doesn't have 2 or 3 separate incarnations as various individuals and identities throughout various continuities? Not to mention the potential for clones, alternate universe identities, doppplegangers, etc.

So just because you've picked Super Boy, doesn't mean that someone else couldn't play a different superboy. I'm going to play as Luthor, but also as Jason Todd's incarnation of robin. No rules saying someone else can't play as Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, or Damien Wayne also.
My Guiding Light-

Cold Heritage

Fair enough. I'd probably go find something else if you end up using M&M anyway, because the point build is not kind to Paragons.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 14, 2013, 11:28:41 PM
Fair enough. I'd probably go find something else if you end up using M&M anyway, because the point build is not kind to Paragons.

Especially at the Teen Hero PL8 stage as well.

Well that's one vote against M&M. I should probably clarify it would be 3rd Edition . . . .
My Guiding Light-

AKunoichi

I Have an old idea for a re-imaged version of starfire. I don't know much about MnM though, I used MHR to stat her up in a game that fell apart.

chaoslord29

Quote from: AK47 on March 15, 2013, 12:00:53 AM
I Have an old idea for a re-imaged version of starfire. I don't know much about MnM though, I used MHR to stat her up in a game that fell apart.
Cortex System eh? Never played that version myself, but the latest iteration of Marvel's RPG uses the d20 Based Mutants and Masterminds system, very smooth, very simple and if you've played any sort of D20 game (D&D or otherwise) your liable to take to this one like a fish to water.

That said, right now I think even I'm leaning towards a free form Role Play.

I'm curious though about this Starfire idea, and whether you'd like to play it.
My Guiding Light-

Cold Heritage

Really? I'd be keen to check out a Marvel iteration of M&M. Didn't really like the Cortex version.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 15, 2013, 12:12:14 AM
Really? I'd be keen to check out a Marvel iteration of M&M. Didn't really like the Cortex version.

Google it if you like, it's just 3rd Edition though with Marvel on the cover. I will point out this game is DC though XD
My Guiding Light-

AKunoichi

Well I think I'd prefer freform.

As for my starfire idea, her powers are more technical and slightly higher level, the same way Ultimate versions of existing characters are, but her biggest difference is that this version is a nudist. She needs sunlight to recharge her powers, she can survive in any environment, and her culture just doesn't have any nudity taboos.
If somebody asks her to cover up, she'll passive aggressively ignore them, after all normal people can't exactly tell her what to do, and most superheroes don't think it's worth getting into a fight with an alien warrior princess over.
It also helps that her body emits light, which de-emphisizes her naughty bits, so most people let it go.

Differences in powers wise, Aside from the standard flight, super-strength, and invulnerability, she has control over all forms of solar radiation, She can see the entire spectrum, shoot lasers, make a thermonuclear explosion centered on herself (She rarely does this because it drains all her power and causes considerable collateral damage), and possibly if you allow it, turn herself into photons to fly at exactly the speed of light.

Personality wise she'd be a slightly more mature version of the Animated Starfire, rather than the bland personality of new52's slutfire, but she would be just as promiscuous as the latter.

apygoos

freeform if i was going to have any interest in this at all. With Jason Todd as Robin there, it would be odd for me to use my Nightwing so..hm..

also, Starfire has ALWAYS been a slut, but she always comes back to Dick, haha.

chaoslord29

Quote from: AK47 on March 15, 2013, 12:20:36 AM
Well I think I'd prefer freform.

As for my starfire idea, her powers are more technical and slightly higher level, the same way Ultimate versions of existing characters are, but her biggest difference is that this version is a nudist. She needs sunlight to recharge her powers, she can survive in any environment, and her culture just doesn't have any nudity taboos.
If somebody asks her to cover up, she'll passive aggressively ignore them, after all normal people can't exactly tell her what to do, and most superheroes don't think it's worth getting into a fight with an alien warrior princess over.
It also helps that her body emits light, which de-emphisizes her naughty bits, so most people let it go.

Differences in powers wise, Aside from the standard flight, super-strength, and invulnerability, she has control over all forms of solar radiation, She can see the entire spectrum, shoot lasers, make a thermonuclear explosion centered on herself (She rarely does this because it drains all her power and causes considerable collateral damage), and possibly if you allow it, turn herself into photons to fly at exactly the speed of light.

Personality wise she'd be a slightly more mature version of the Animated Starfire, rather than the bland personality of new52's slutfire, but she would be just as promiscuous as the latter.

Got to admit that it's an original take on Starfire's powers, but this is a good a time as anyway to elaborate on something that inevitably comes up in superhero RPs and Games. You've got a lot of focus here on Starfire's powers and while I laud your creativity on that front, it ultimately effects relatively little about her RP wise, because the powers of the superhero are really just the flavor of how the deeper elements of the character are expressed. True, powers are a core component to any caped hero, but at the end of the day it's the comic characters with the most compelling stories and dramatics that make the best heroes, not the ones with the "coolest" powers. For that reason, I'd like to encourage you to flesh out her background and personality a bit more than "Like the anime character but more sexually promiscuous and mature".

Quote from: apygoos on March 15, 2013, 12:21:32 AM
freeform if i was going to have any interest in this at all. With Jason Todd as Robin there, it would be odd for me to use my Nightwing so..hm..

also, Starfire has ALWAYS been a slut, but she always comes back to Dick, haha.

Cute, and like I said, there's no reason Jason and Richard can't roll in the same club. Be cool to see Nightwing and Red Robin working side by side (till Todd decides it's time to hood up).
My Guiding Light-

AKunoichi

AribethAmkiir

Don't believe I'm as interested as I was a few minutes ago.

chaoslord29

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on March 15, 2013, 12:48:22 AM
Don't believe I'm as interested as I was a few minutes ago.

That's unfortunate. But you still posted, is there anything that could be done to change your mind?
My Guiding Light-

apygoos

Dick and Jason never really worked together, not on the same level he and Tim did.

Cold Heritage

Rather than play Superboy, I may explore playing a Czarnian, or perhaps a Kheran. Perhaps a New God, even.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Cold Heritage on March 15, 2013, 01:00:10 AM
Rather than play Superboy, I may explore playing a Czarnian, or perhaps a Kheran. Perhaps a New God, even.

I would love to see Teenage Lobo played, and I think it totally fits to have a badass biker as part of the 'edgy teen supers' even if he is an alien.

Quote from: apygoos on March 15, 2013, 12:58:12 AM
Dick and Jason never really worked together, not on the same level he and Tim did.

Well no but the point here is to do something unique and original still within the vein of the DC Universe with a 21st Century "Ultimate" kind of feel to it.
My Guiding Light-

zenpai

I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

apygoos

A red Lantern is generally viewed as evil.
While i understand were trying to give it an ultimate universe feel, I dont think ultimate Nightwing would be around until Todd has already been killed.

chaoslord29

Quote from: zenpai on March 15, 2013, 01:03:59 AM
can there be red lanterns ?

All depends on how you think you can make a Red Lantern work as part of Luthor's team of corporate pop star super heroes. Got to be honest mate, I can say with no sarcasm that I would love to see you try.

Quote from: apygoos on March 15, 2013, 01:11:56 AM
A red Lantern is generally viewed as evil.
While i understand were trying to give it an ultimate universe feel, I dont think ultimate Nightwing would be around until Todd has already been killed.

Apygoos, I appreciate your input, but that's for the individuals who would like to play the characters of Nightwing and Jason Todd to work out. Players are free to get as original as they like with their backstories and I would encourage them to work together in crafting them as well. Don't feel constrained by what has been done within the DC Universe, get inspired by it!

Hell it occurs to me that Jason Todd would make a great Red Lantern.

@Everyone:
Rules and Guidelines updated.
My Guiding Light-

apygoos

well when you say it like that, What if the Nightwing alias came about becoming a Blue Lantern Corps member? I would say GL, but theres a million earth GLs already.