Looking to start a WoD Vampire: The Masquerade game.

Started by Vampyre Valkyrie, July 21, 2013, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snickerz

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 31, 2013, 07:18:37 PM
Here you go a path for thaumaturgy you should consider.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Path_of_Technomancy

Rituals could offer lots of options to abuse this further.

Damn there's a lot of stuff on this game. That looks really cool. I love the telecommute. :-)
I think I may actually go with that, but when I get a bit more down time I'll do some snooping.

RubySlippers

Well basic chain of command as a newly minted Tremere your everyone else that matters little bitch, but you can only go up. Your the bottom of a Pyramid the top is well the Top its a long way up.

My character will like you she can't afford to be picky.  :D

Snickerz

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 31, 2013, 09:41:20 PM
Well basic chain of command as a newly minted Tremere your everyone else that matters little bitch, but you can only go up. Your the bottom of a Pyramid the top is well the Top its a long way up.

Lmao... I think I could handle that. Especially being completely new to the game.

Imogen

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 31, 2013, 09:41:20 PM

The Tremere are not known for sharing knowledge of their ranks with outsiders, so her position within the pyramid should not matter to anyone outside of Clan Tremere. And for a Caitiff, befriending a Tremere is not being "not picky"; In Camarilla terms, where the two are more likely to meet than within the Chantry Halls, it's the Caitiff that are anyone's bitch. And yeah, that includes a very young member of Clan Tremere, who consider themselves one of the pillars of the Camarilla.

Not saying anyone should play it as such. To each their own. Just that Clan Tremere is something I do enjoy playing so thought I'd clear up a misconception ;-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Snickerz

Quote from: Imogen on July 31, 2013, 11:15:56 PM
The Tremere are not known for sharing knowledge of their ranks with outsiders, so her position within the pyramid should not matter to anyone outside of Clan Tremere. And for a Caitiff, befriending a Tremere is not being "not picky"; In Camarilla terms, where the two are more likely to meet than within the Chantry Halls, it's the Caitiff that are anyone's bitch. And yeah, that includes a very young member of Clan Tremere, who consider themselves one of the pillars of the Camarilla.

Ok so, as a Termere, If I answered to anyone it'd be the other two Tremere's of my clan then?

Imogen

Quote from: Snickerz on July 31, 2013, 11:19:08 PM
Ok so, as a Termere, If I answered to anyone it'd be the other two Tremere's of my clan then?

I'm always thrilled to see someone take on a Tremere!

For Tremere, it's Clan first, Sect second and person last. So yeah. I am not sure but I expect the GM's will provide for a regent (the leader of the Chantry), who is practically the decision maker for that area. Normally, it's expected that a lower ranked character defers to the higher ranked apprentice and treats those older and wiser with the respect they deserve. After all, their betters decided they earned that position.

But it'd go a bit far to go into clan politics which can be diverse and very entertaining, or non-existant, depending on the game set-up and the amount of Tremere in game.

While Clan Tremere holds strict to its own hierarcy, it still functions within the Camarilla.

This means that members of Clan Tremere are subject to the same chain of command as the other kindred. Prince, Seneschal, Sheriff, Scourge, Keeper of Elysium;  you don't want to piss them off. Then there are the Clan Primogen: these are the kindred that represent their clans, and it's safe to assume those dudes earned their position.

I hope you will enjoy playing your Tremere :-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

RubySlippers

I did break the Tremere power chain once I played a Tremere whose young and stupid Sire didn't realize she was Magic Resistant since she couldn't use Thaumaturgy at all the clan left her alone, where she focused on the two Disciplines she could use. Basically she was no good to anyone in the Clan so made her haven and was a social flower of the clan. Made a good rep brokering work for clanless and independent clans with the Camarilla power structure.

Was fun she broke the mold.

Imogen

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 31, 2013, 11:43:11 PM
I did break the Tremere power chain once I played a Tremere whose young and stupid Sire didn't realize she was Magic Resistant since she couldn't use Thaumaturgy at all the clan left her alone, where she focused on the two Disciplines she could use. Basically she was no good to anyone in the Clan so made her haven and was a social flower of the clan. Made a good rep brokering work for clanless and independent clans with the Camarilla power structure.

Was fun she broke the mold.

Oh sure, if the GM allows it, it can be done. You can have a Brujah that never loses her temper, you can have a Toreador that never falls in trance, you can have a Nosferatu with rugged good looks, sound amount of dots in obfuscate and false reflection and have her become a succesful runway model, you can have a Malkavian whose only derangement is that he believes he is normal .....  Basically, you can kick any clan flaw to kingdom come. If the GM allows it, anything can be done.

But that doesn't mean it has anywhere near general acceptance.

Still, if the GM accepts it...*shrug*
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Nicolae

I've got a Nosferatu voyeur character that I'd love to use. It doesn't look like many people are going Sewer Rat on this one.
O/O   Ideas

RubySlippers

Quote from: Imogen on August 01, 2013, 03:19:03 AM
Oh sure, if the GM allows it, it can be done. You can have a Brujah that never loses her temper, you can have a Toreador that never falls in trance, you can have a Nosferatu with rugged good looks, sound amount of dots in obfuscate and false reflection and have her become a succesful runway model, you can have a Malkavian whose only derangement is that he believes he is normal .....  Basically, you can kick any clan flaw to kingdom come. If the GM allows it, anything can be done.

But that doesn't mean it has anywhere near general acceptance.

Still, if the GM accepts it...*shrug*

Well the clan weakness was there, and there were social consequences she was socially above a ghoul and under an Apprentice with no chance to go up in the clan. Even a Ventrue that opts out of blending finances and opts to live on their own as long as they respect one custom aiding another Ventrue when asked - they could still go up. Hell most clans you are not locked into a hierarchy really save the Tremere.

And to be technical being in a hierarchy is not required there are Tremere Anarchs after all and they could just tell the clan to Bugger Off, the one step blood bond would only kick in of one of the Seven showed up and decided to invoke it a local Primogen has no such authority and even Camarilla Law doesn't demand you obey clan leaders.

Imogen

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 01, 2013, 07:55:35 AM
Well the clan weakness was there, and there were social consequences she was socially above a ghoul and under an Apprentice with no chance to go up in the clan. Even a Ventrue that opts out of blending finances and opts to live on their own as long as they respect one custom aiding another Ventrue when asked - they could still go up. Hell most clans you are not locked into a hierarchy really save the Tremere.

And to be technical being in a hierarchy is not required there are Tremere Anarchs after all and they could just tell the clan to Bugger Off, the one step blood bond would only kick in of one of the Seven showed up and decided to invoke it a local Primogen has no such authority and even Camarilla Law doesn't demand you obey clan leaders.

But we are discussing Clan Tremere.

Camarilla Law - Clan Loyalty/Tremere Hierarchy = two different things.

Also, it is very true a Tremere won't have to obey orders from the Ventrue Primogen, but unless she is very well respected kindred with a lot more prestige than this city council member she'd better take damn good care to be as cautious and respectful about refusing reasonable requests. Unless of course you like to be ripped apart by the harpies. No one likes an upstart neonate who doesn't pay proper respect to their elders. Unless, of course, you are playing an Anarch game and the leaders just go hulk-smash on the silly young vampire. The Camarilla's ways of making the younger listen to their elders may be less blatantly violent, but no less brutal.

Also, the Clan Hierarchy is indoctrinated into the newly embraced. That means a state of mind that doesn't require one of the seven. I mean, really.... requiring one of the seven's presence to invoke the tremere hive mind??? Well, that'd be quick fail, wouldn't it? I seriously doubt Whitewolf would have bothered to write the Tremere as they have, if the caveat was "but only if one of the seven is present to enforce it".

Still, I do agree there are exceptions to every rule and that they can be fun to play.

However, in this case we were answering to a new player's questions about Clan Tremere.

In my opinion, and that is just my opinion, when a player just starts out learning a system (or in this case, a clan), it is better to start explaining the general consensus. Basics first. Exceptions/outcasts etc. should be played once a firm understanding is in place. That's not what we're talking about here.

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

RubySlippers

Well I would say the new player should side with the Progressives in that Tremere "secret society" that one is no secret or largely not an issue its built in associates and work up the chain of command being different. Different as in serve the clan but forging a modern technology path and innovations in those areas.

She just needs to avoid the Traditionalists and pissing them off who are most of the serious Elders especially in the Old World.  ;D

Imogen

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 01, 2013, 09:16:38 AM
Well I would say the new player should side with the Progressives in that Tremere "secret society" that one is no secret or largely not an issue its built in associates and work up the chain of command being different. Different as in serve the clan but forging a modern technology path and innovations in those areas.

She just needs to avoid the Traditionalists and pissing them off who are most of the serious Elders especially in the Old World.  ;D

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree :-)

As long as everyone is having fun, it's all good.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Vampyre Valkyrie

*Waves* I'll be reading over this stuff soon. Need to make sure my kid eats and stuff.

Quote from: Calrond on August 01, 2013, 05:14:07 AM
I've got a Nosferatu voyeur character that I'd love to use. It doesn't look like many people are going Sewer Rat on this one.
The Prince is a sewer rat dear, as is my PC...and another one that hasn't been submitted yet. I also have a bevy of Nos NPC's due to parts of the manditory read post that will be going up when the game starts :D We could always use more Nos.

As far as the whole tremere elietest stuff goes....I've seen it played to the extreme before. I'd just like my players to keep in mind that I want them to interact outside their clan. I understand that much like the ventrue, tremere have their own hirearchy and stuff, but much like Imogen said...everyone still has to deal with the Camarilla hirearchy. As long as people are having fun that's what matters....but make sure to interact with one another.

Now...to comment on Ruby's mention of Ventrue going against the "clan norm" I have a story to add. My first, and only, ventrue character went by the name of Alora, who was Primogen. She was the most disliked ventrue by the rest of the clan (excluding the other's from the brood she was from, and even some of them didn't like her.) 99% of the time she spent her evenings with a Brujah (Follower of Set...he actually worshiped Set) Anarch on Path of Ecstacy. She would get wasted on Setite drugs then go to court (in ripped jeans, converse, a tshirt, and blazer jacket.) Sit in clan meetings with headphones in listening to said Brujah's satilite radio station and drink from her flask (that had setite wine in it) throughout the meetings.

She HATED that she was ventrue, but her profession was lawyer, and she was good at what she did. Which in the end, is what got her sired. While the clan may have hated her and wanted her killed, they never did it. 'Why?' you might ask seeing as how big of a fuckup she sounds like she would have been. Because at the end of the day...she knew were her loyalties were, with her clan. She would have bent over backwards for clan Ventrue, because they were her clan. She ended up with a higher rank in the ventrue ranking system too, I just can't remember what.

So. I guess what I was trying to say with that story is you can go against the "clan norm" and still make it work within the clan. As long as you are good at what you do, do what you want. (That was Alora logic)
“Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time."

|

RubySlippers

Well clan norm is mutable the Brujah have mostly fighters but also scholars, social butterflies and computer hackers that can be said about all the clans even the Tremere they seem to get new ideas and ways can be added if the clan is respected adding technology magic seems to me necessary since its so important now to be able to use it daily. So figured its one of those cases the older guard are not happy, the young guard are going don't be afraid its all a kind of blood magic and the normal differences in the generations.

Harmony

I sure hope I am not the only Brujah  :-[ amongst Tremere lol

RubySlippers

Just do this take Clan Prestige (Progressives) 1 Dot, the traditional old time Warlocks will have issues but who cares the ones that are the forward thinkers will find you a good ally and to the clan the two outlook secret societies are not so secret. Two paths to power and all that the old ways and screw that it the modern age - I want my laptop!

:D

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Harmony on August 01, 2013, 05:23:57 PM
I sure hope I am not the only Brujah  :-[ amongst Tremere lol
There will be Brujah NPC's, so you won't be completely alone even if there are no PC's.

|

Red Woman

Hi Vampire Valkyre,

One of the reasons I was looking for a roleplaying site was to look for a VtM rp. Since I got approved yesterday, you're the first I want to address.
A friend of mine told me a lot about VtM and I totally got excited about it, but have to say, never played it, don't know the rules yet etc.
I did download some books to look stuff up, also noticed a sheet to fill in and send to you.
Have been thinking about a character though, but not quite there yet. It will definitely be a Brujah.
First question: Would you accept someone who needs to learn yet?
If so: can you tell me how many points I can divide between all the attributes, abilities and advantages, then I can start on my character.
Can you also tell me if you'd mind and how I could contact you directly (I'm new on E as well), in that way I can ask my questions on the game directly.
Hope to hear from you.
Cheers,
Red

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Red Woman on August 02, 2013, 08:00:16 AM
Hi Vampire Valkyre,

One of the reasons I was looking for a roleplaying site was to look for a VtM rp. Since I got approved yesterday, you're the first I want to address.
A friend of mine told me a lot about VtM and I totally got excited about it, but have to say, never played it, don't know the rules yet etc.
I did download some books to look stuff up, also noticed a sheet to fill in and send to you.
Have been thinking about a character though, but not quite there yet. It will definitely be a Brujah.
First question: Would you accept someone who needs to learn yet?
If so: can you tell me how many points I can divide between all the attributes, abilities and advantages, then I can start on my character.
Can you also tell me if you'd mind and how I could contact you directly (I'm new on E as well), in that way I can ask my questions on the game directly.
Hope to hear from you.
Cheers,
Red

Character Creation
Attributes:

Attributes are defined by the rulebook as “the natural abilities and raw capabilities a character is made of.” There are three categories of attributes: Physical, Social and Mental. And in each of these categories, there are three specific traits:

•   Physical which includes strength, dexterity and stamina
•   Social which includes charisma, manipulation and appearance
•   Mental which includes perception, intelligence and wits

Every character starts with a minimum of one dot (or * in the case of our character sheets) in each trait. From there, you have to prioritize each category of attributes (ie. Physical, Social, Mental etc.) as primary, secondary and tertiary. For whichever category you choose as your primary, you are allowed to add an additional seven dots between the three traits. For the category you choose to be secondary, you can add an additional five dots. For the category you choose as tertiary, you can add an additional three dots. As a warning, most GM’s in my experience do not allow starting characters to have any more than four dots in any trait at the beginning.

Once you have decided on your attributes, you then move on your selecting your abilities.

Abilities:

Abilities are also divided into three categories: Talents, Skills and Knowledges. Talents can be described as abilities that are intuitive. Skills are abilities learned through training and practice and Knowledges are the things you can learn in a book. In each of these categories there are ten specific traits which you can see listed below:

Talents:          Skills:         Knowledges:

Alertness:                Animal Ken:         Academics:
Athletics:                 Drive:         Computer:
Awareness:               Etiquette:               Finance:
Brawl:                      Firearms:               Investigation:
Empathy:                  Larceny:               Law:
Expression:              Melee:         Medicine:
Intimidation:             Performance:      Occult:
Leadership:              Stealth:         Politics:
Streetwise:               Survival:              Science:
Subterfuge:                        Crafts:         Technology:

Like attributes, you priorities each category of your abilities as either primary, secondary or tertiary but unlike the attributes you do NOT start out with any dots. For the category that you choose to be primary you can assign thirteen dots. For the category you choose to be secondary, you can assign nine and the tertiary category gets give. Also, generally none of the abilities can be raised beyond three dots during character creation.

I'll PM you with my messenger info

|

MasterOfMyFate

Hello Vampyre Valkyrie (love the huntress image),

I have been gone from Elliquiy for quite awhile and I am curious if I could join this rp as to reestablish myself back into this site? I LOVE the game VtM: Bloodlines and would like to immerse myself more into the WoD version of Vampire. Willing to take in a Venture or Malkavian? (Those were the two roles I am interested in. I usually played Malkavian in the game)
"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: MasterOfMyFate on August 03, 2013, 12:14:09 AM
Hello Vampyre Valkyrie (love the huntress image),

I have been gone from Elliquiy for quite awhile and I am curious if I could join this rp as to reestablish myself back into this site? I LOVE the game VtM: Bloodlines and would like to immerse myself more into the WoD version of Vampire. Willing to take in a Venture or Malkavian? (Those were the two roles I am interested in. I usually played Malkavian in the game)
Always willing to take more people!

|

Harmony

*Jumps for joy at the aspect of another Brujah.*  ;D Do we have a possible start date yet, no rush just curious.

RubySlippers

But Brujah suck, well, so do all vampires. lol  :D

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Harmony on August 03, 2013, 07:30:35 PM
*Jumps for joy at the aspect of another Brujah.*  ;D Do we have a possible start date yet, no rush just curious.
I'm working on that. I actually purchaced a laptop yesterday so that I wasn't restricted to what hours I can use the computer. Once it gets here I'm going to start getting things written up in a bit more detail and post them. Now that I can be on whenever I damn well please things will pick up. ;D

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 03, 2013, 08:15:11 PM
But Brujah suck, well, so do all vampires. lol  :)
Brujah are one of my favorite clans personally, but it's because they take me out of my element. I am not a strong person IRL, and they are just big and badass  >:)

|