Starcraft RP Interest Probe! I know, I know, too soon.

Started by Rachubka, July 28, 2010, 12:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachubka

Your second thought would probably be: "A GIRL IS DOING THIS!?!?!?!"

Yes.

Anyway, inspired by the awesome artwork and just the universe in general of Starcraft, I thought I might try my hand at making an RP in the setting. I have not put an ideal setting into place yet, but have thought about a few things that I would like to have happen (and consequently not happen).

1. All characters are going to have to be Terran. What I'm imagining for an RP is for them to be just on the crest of discovering the Zerg and the Protoss amongst them in space. That's not to say there can't be a Protoss all down the line (WAY down the line if this actually takes off).

2. A lot of Starcraft 2 tech will be out of the question! I imagine there is some wiki here or there that will outline which units have what (not everyone is going to be a marine... perhaps a dropship pilot or a Goliath pilot will be in order. An SCV too, if someone so pleases). I may make an exception to something that is really cool in SC2... I just don't know THAT much about it!

3.  I guess I'm looking for something that would resemble a squad of soldier heading down to a remote world. What they're doing, I don't know yet, but that would mean that not everyone is going to be a Marauder or something shooting rockets at those tiny zerglings. Probably one Ghost (naturally, that's me! :P), a few marines, a medic, pilots of vehicles, a firebat, etc. Basically I want this to be as realistic as possible.

4. I'll get to this once I have everything sorted! But probably won't even bother getting things sorted if no one is interested! Soooo... let me know, yes? :O

Again, let me know of your interest if... you're interested. I honestly do have the credentials to run this RP. I was a member of my public school's Starcaft Club, by the way! Nothing could stand against my Protoss! Bwahahaha.

Oh, and I'll take idea for settings IF they make sense. If it wasn't going to be when I thought it would, I could imagine it being during the period between SC and SC2, though that would definitely mean a lull in Zerg activity. Then I guess it would just mean more time for rumping, huh?

kingOFcalifornication

I'm completely and entirely interested in this. I've been waiting for a Starcraft RP for ages. Lolz.

Essentially, whatever plot you might have devised, I'm down. (:

Question Mark

I'm down as well!

I own SC2 right now, but my comp is too shit to even load it, let alone play it.   >:(  *i.e. no spoilz please*

Rachubka

Rachubka

Quote from: Question Mark on July 28, 2010, 12:47:24 PM

:) Kidding?

Anywho. I've decided that this will actually take place before the start of the first Starcraft game. What will this mean for the RP? Well, it will mean that no one has really heard of the Zerg or the Protoss, as the characters will be part of the UED. If you remember, there were the Sons of Korhal, led by Mengsk, who essentially wanted independence. The UED don't like them. In respect to the Koprulu sector, the UED are seen as a threat but if you think about them as simply looking out for Earth's best interest, then it's okay! :D

I am still building the basis of this RP, but thought I'd put that into place at the very least. I was considering to place this in between the gap of the two games, but a lot of the details get a little messy, and if I want to keep this RP mostly from the Terran perspective, I'd have to make our group either UED remnant (which is alright, I guess...) or part of the Terran Dominion (which I really would not like!).

Again, any ideas or what have you, throw them at me! I'll make a true and blue opening post in another Application Thread pending more interest.

kingOFcalifornication

Lolz. I'm about to buy it, once I check the specifications for it to see if my laptop will play it.

And everything sounds good. UED Remnant or Terran Dominion, either is fine with me.

Question Mark

The UED didnt arrive until after the first game, long after the Terran worlds were overrun by aliens.

Scya

I would be interested in playing a medic or a scv pilot
A&A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=78650.0

A bit braindead at the moment so please excuse longer wait times then usual.

Rachubka

Quote from: Question Mark on July 28, 2010, 05:46:43 PM
The UED didnt arrive until after the first game, long after the Terran worlds were overrun by aliens.

Oh, I know! That's why I didn't say that UED would be all 'Rawr rawr' with the Dominion before hand. I just said that the characters would definitely be a part of the UED if I were to leave things before the first game. Well, I think the UED were called something else before then, but whatever. I swear the next time I post I'm going to have the setting SET! No more changing my mind!

Three people have declared interest soooooo I think I can go ahead and write on OP. You guys will be the first to know! And for those still reading, yes... I'm still taking people.

Aiden

Ohhh I so want to be a Kel Morian Miner/Pilot.

I'll work my way in there somehow, I follow the story pretty well.

Posting interest for now.

Odin

This doesn't really need to be set around the game. You could have had the Terran empire send dropships to various destinations to expand, perhaps even a fleet or something(You'd need a dropship carrier to take them there, most likely) and they lost contact with the homeworld. That way, you can still discover the Zerg and Terran without trying to work the game details in to it.

Anyway, I'm posting my interest. I'd prefer to be a Ghost, since I mostly always play snipers and such, but if it comes to it I guess I'll settle with Marine.

Rachubka

Yeah, that's mostly what I was going for. Ack! I said I wouldn't post until I had everything settled!

As for you, Odin, I'll tell you why I'm not too keen on having multiple ghosts. Considering their training and that, they aren't very good socially. Especially if they are with the UED because of the silly disruptors in their heads. The squad is going to have a chain of command and my character won't even be the at the helm of it! I'm going to trust that to someone... trustworthy. I myself will still guide the RP, but who 'runs the show' in the RP will be someone else.

Aaaaaaand for everyone else, I'll just post up what I think the squad should compose of! Just so I feel that I made this post useful. We can do without some of the units, surely, but it just means that these are the units people can be!

2 - 4 Marines
1 Firebat
1 Marauder
1 Medic
1 SCV (We're not going to be mining for minerals. We do not require more Vespene gas.)
2 - 3 pilots (Vulture, Goliath, Dropship)
2 Siege Tank crew members (Probably one person RPing the pair so that one doesn't have to wait for the other)

Again, I don't expect 12 people to join this RP, but these are the units you can be in it! Pilots won't be in their machines 24/7... I imagine sex in those things won't be too lovely. Well, besides the Dropship.

Aiden

Question Mark

kingOFcalifornication

Odin

Quote from: Rachubka on July 29, 2010, 07:46:23 AM
As for you, Odin, I'll tell you why I'm not too keen on having multiple ghosts. Considering their training and that, they aren't very good socially. Especially if they are with the UED because of the silly disruptors in their heads. The squad is going to have a chain of command and my character won't even be the at the helm of it! I'm going to trust that to someone... trustworthy. I myself will still guide the RP, but who 'runs the show' in the RP will be someone else.

I'm not sure what you think when you hear Ghost, but mainly they are used as Scouts. Most snipers, infact, are the scouts, despite what you see in movies/games. And it is extremely unwise to send your only sniper off by themselves, Ghost or not.

But it is your RP, and your call. I'm still considering my position in the RP.

Question Mark

Quote from: Odin on July 29, 2010, 08:02:16 PM
I'm not sure what you think when you hear Ghost, but mainly they are used as Scouts. Most snipers, infact, are the scouts, despite what you see in movies/games. And it is extremely unwise to send your only sniper off by themselves, Ghost or not.

But it is your RP, and your call. I'm still considering my position in the RP.

Yes, sniper/scout teams can function as scouts, or deployed as on demand firepower, or w/e.  Ghosts, however, are not snipers.

Ghosts kind of fill the "specialty" spot in the Starcraft-verse that, IRL, is filled by Green Berets, SWAT, sniper squads, cover agents, and so on.  They are trained to deal with all those situations, trained to adapt and to specialize on demand.  A Ghost can scout, but no Terran commander would ever waste a priceless resource such as the Ghost on something that can be accomplished much quicker and more efficiently with satellites, radar, or aircraft. 

In Starcraft, the traditional sniper roles are filled in by specially trained marines (as seen in Heaven's Devils) that wield sniper rifles instead of the more traditional gauss rifles.  Ghosts CAN snipe, but that doesn't mean their snipers.  They are much more likely to be deployed for espionage, sabotage, intelligence, or even nuclear purposes.  They're also so rare and valuable that they're not attached to military units like marines, tanks, aircraft, etc. are.  Ghosts are deployed on demand and temporarily attached to a battle group if said battle group will likely encounter problems that Ghosts are made to solve.

tl;dr Having more than one Ghost in such a small squad would be military folly.  If you want to play a sniper-scout, play as a marine sniper-scout.  Ghosts won't be doing much sniping.

Rachubka

Yay! I like you, Question Mark.

If you'd like to be something more of a scout / sniper, you may want to consider the Vulture pilot role. For each and every pilot, they are going to have a sort of secondary weapon. There may be parts in the RP where vehicles aren't going to be reasonable so they'll have to resort to walking about. This is based on the Starcraft game and that's just the point. We can deviate as much as we please! Or, well, as much as I allow you to please.

So, if you're inclined to being a scout, you can roll around on a vulture and carry a sniper rifle around. If the vehicle is just not what you're looking for, then I may consider just being a Marine, but geared more towards a scouting role, ie no powersuit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm going to be away most of the weekend, but expect a full OP for the RP / application thread! In regards to the other characters, just know that this squad is being assembled of what is believed to be the best of the best. Your characters may have little quirks and such that make them better / different from the standard marine or whathaveyou. 

Any other questions can go here! If you feel silly doing that, PM me!

Aiden

Have you decided on the time setting?

Depending on what specific (Doesn't have to be exact year) time, my character will be in line with the time.

Pre-guild wars.
During
After Guild wars
[Time before First and the bombing of Korhal which led to the "sons of Korhal"]
First war/meeting alien races
Second War (UED)
[Time between rise of Queen of blades]
Starcraft 2 Current setting.

Rachubka

Timelines are goofy... I just know I really don't want to be part of a 'Confederacy" if I were to do it around about the time of the First War. I'm going to be taking artistic liberties and assuming that the 'UED have interests in the Koprulu Sector and such and have operations, but it's not the one and the same fleet that came in to fight with the later formed Dominion. Anyone have problems with that? I will take heed of any suggestions until... Uh... Sunday night (About 36 hours!)?

I'm going to thank everyone ahead of time for following this building process! I'm sure once I get a more formulated OP made that I'll still get some interest and we'll be alright. :)

GolGol

I kinda like this idea actually ^^

If there still is a spot I'd like to play the SCV. I see him more as the engineer of the team and not only as the mineral gatherer. Also if possible I'd like to play the eventual protoss further down the line ^^;;

Thanks!
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Question Mark

Well...  Urgh.

The UED is light years away from the Koprulu Sector, and the only thing that ever interested them were the aliens.  Hell, the UED didn't even exist at the beginning of the First Starcraft.  The UED was formed when everybody on Earth was looking at the Koprulu Sector and collectively shat their pants at the sight of super advanced demigods and ravenous swarms of huge locusts.  The UED formed out of that panic - it's suggested that prior to the UED, there was a loose peace, similar to the modern UN, but the UED formed an actual authoritarian government out of that alliance.

If you really don't want to be part of the Confederacy, we could always do the Kel-Morian Combine...  An independent military force similar to the Sons of Korhal...

Aiden

Quote from: Rachubka on July 31, 2010, 12:38:34 PM
Timelines are goofy... I just know I really don't want to be part of a 'Confederacy" if I were to do it around about the time of the First War. I'm going to be taking artistic liberties and assuming that the 'UED have interests in the Koprulu Sector and such and have operations, but it's not the one and the same fleet that came in to fight with the later formed Dominion. Anyone have problems with that? I will take heed of any suggestions until... Uh... Sunday night (About 36 hours!)?

I'm going to thank everyone ahead of time for following this building process! I'm sure once I get a more formulated OP made that I'll still get some interest and we'll be alright. :)

If we wish to be natives of the Korpulu Sector

There is Umoja
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Umoja
(Still independent from confederacy rule)

Moria
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Moria
(KEl Morian) serving the confederacy but they HATE the confederacy

And there is always the Mercs and Nomads, people who float from port to port and sell their services to bidders and people can pick where they are from.

Considering the UED, since they are "nothing" in this sector until the fleets rolls in, they can have a small colony outpost in the sector and be gathering information.

I personally want to be a Kel-Morian, I like their story quite a bit.

Rachubka

Well, alright then. I wasn't going to focus too strongly on the fact that the group of characters were from Earth, but if it does boggle the mind a little too much, then either of the natives would work fine. The storyline that I was thinking up is generally fictitious with nice little tid bits of genuine lore sprinkled about. Maybe I'm just not the greatest at running it if we're trying to run with the timeline. I don't know if that makes sense, but whatever.

Sunday night / Monday morning everything will be set! Promise! Unless I breakdown or something. D: