What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

TaintedAndDelish

Immodium abuse. Please, let's not make this stuff illegal. It's the only thing that really works when you have the shits.

http://cnycentral.com/news/local/way-too-much-imodium-is-newest-way-of-getting-high

Mithlomwen

.....how do people even find out that this stuff will get them high? 

I feel bad for a lot of people in today's society.  You have 'Big Pharma' continuing to steamroll the never ending pill machine, doing it's damndest to keep the American public dependent on what they offer so they can rake in billions in profit, while trying to keep medicinal uses of things like marijuana (which sometimes end up doing a better job than synthetic chemicals on healing/helping with issues) from becoming legal, because it would cut into their profits. 

They keep pushing pills, and then make it more and more difficult for people to get those pills....and then wonder why things like this are happening, and why heroin addiction is at an all time high.  Gee....let me think.   
Baby, it's all I know,

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/azealia-banks-racist-anti-zayn-tweets-just-lost-her-a-music-festival-gig/ar-BBsVdbg?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Azeila Banks (some rapper lady I never heard of until now) ends up losing her next gig for racist tweets she made directed at a Zayn Malik, insulting his middle eastern heritage, among other things I wont repeat.

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on May 11, 2016, 09:40:58 PM

At least with OTC drugs, they have a reason to consider ingesting them in the first place.  Have you ever looked at what goes into meth production?

I imagine in this case, someone with an opiate addiction got the runs (not unlikely, considering that 'eating right' isn't a high priority), took the Imodium, and discovered that they didn't feel the cravings as much.  Went from 'Hey, I can put off getting my next fix' to 'Hey, maybe this could be my next fix...'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Mithlomwen on May 11, 2016, 09:40:58 PM
My best guess? Five minutes research on the internet.

Get a list of known opioids (in bet you won't have to go much further than wikipedia for that) and cross-reference with a database of FDA-approved drugs. Could be as simple as that. No idea if the FDA information is open to the public, but even if not, I suspect a lot of people have access to that information, from pharmcists to nurses to students of various fields of medicine or chemistry.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on May 12, 2016, 06:50:15 AM
RSPCA on high alert after spate of cat shootings

WTF is wrong with people? >:(

Whoever's doing this doesn't need to get a psych evaluation. They're psychopaths, plain and simple.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Valerian

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/12/477769731/george-zimmerman-auctioning-off-gun-with-which-he-killed-trayvon-martin

Every time I think this guy has run out of ways to prove what a horrible person he is, he comes up with something new.   >:(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Valerian on May 12, 2016, 08:46:43 AM
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/12/477769731/george-zimmerman-auctioning-off-gun-with-which-he-killed-trayvon-martin

Every time I think this guy has run out of ways to prove what a horrible person he is, he comes up with something new.   >:(

Its this kind of asshole that makes the rest of us gun owners look bad. Everytime he does something its like he is actively trying to cause as much outrage as possible.

Lustful Bride

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mississippi-toddler-dies-after-being-left-in-her-moms-car/ar-BBsWIiv?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

2 year old dies after being left in a hot car...

Why is this such a fucking problem! Oh my God every summer there is always a rash of children dying from this!

Every Summer without Fail! Oh god it makes me so angry!

Valerian

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 12, 2016, 09:21:22 AM
Its this kind of asshole that makes the rest of us gun owners look bad. Everytime he does something its like he is actively trying to cause as much outrage as possible.
I think he got addicted to being "famous" during the trial and wants that back at any price, not realizing or caring that he's only making himself infamous.  Any press is good press as far as he's concerned.  :(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Mithlomwen

I feel so sorry for the Martin family.  :/  Every time he does something like this, it must be like rubbing salt into a never healing wound.
Baby, it's all I know,

Beorning

Meanwhile, back here, the PiS government continues with its "good change". One news bit that really hit me: the Ministry of Justice withheld all funding to Centrum Praw Kobiet (Centre for Female Rights), an organisation that helps female abuse victims.

The rationale? Apparently, the ministry doesn't like the fact that CPK "narrows its help to a pre-defined group", meaning women...

Seriously, this is so idiotic that I can't help thinking that it's more than a case of bureaucratic stupids. No, it really must a case of right-wing distrust for promotion of female rights...

God, I really am starting to feel like a Lovecraftian character when I observe what this government is doing. Meaning, I have the urge to sit in a corner and rock mindlessly, wailing to the cruel, unresponding skies :(

(I wish I had a link for you, guys, but there's no English-language article on this news bit, AFAIK)

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

wow this news terrifies me.

44% of Honeybee colonies have died/disappeared in the last year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-bad-news-for-honeybees-beekeepers-lost-nearly-half-their-colonies-in-the-past-year/ar-BBt1u9a?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Well, there goes the food supply.

*starts hoarding canned food*

AmberStarfire

gaggedLouise

Ukraine wins the Eurovision finale after a final-inches vote battle with Russia and Australia (yes, guesting this year)- and with a song that the Ukrainian singer plainly admitted has some clear messages about conflicts with Russia past and present. To make it even more loaded, songs with political subject matter aren't really supposed to be a part of this contest. Also, Ukraine won the "expert juries vote" but Russia got the highest viewers' vote across Europe.  ;)

I fully expect the state departments of Ukraine and Russia to begin drafting protest notes to one another by monday.

And how on earth are they going to stage a glossy, expensive finale in Kiev next year? The country is practically bankrupt, there's a low-level war going on and a huge pan-European show event in Kiev would be a security nightmare.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Scientists accidentally introduce the concept of Prostitution after teaching monkeys the concept of money.

http://www.zmescience.com/research/how-scientists-tught-monkeys-the-concept-of-money-not-long-after-the-first-prostitute-monkey-appeared/

I would never show my face after this.

Because from now on you are the scientist that taught monkeys prostitution, that shall be your legacy.

Lustful Bride

North Korea detains passing Russian Ship and Crew.

They have now been released.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nkorea-frees-russian-yacht-crew-detained-by-mistake-russian-media/ar-BBt4jXs?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

The NK officials stated they did so by mistakes. *makes Jack Off motion*

I think more likely they didn't want an angry Russian Bear beating down their doors once they realized Russia is less apt to negotiate with them.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 15, 2016, 01:48:54 PM
North Korea detains passing Russian Ship and Crew.

They have now been released.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nkorea-frees-russian-yacht-crew-detained-by-mistake-russian-media/ar-BBt4jXs?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

The NK officials stated they did so by mistakes. *makes Jack Off motion*

I think more likely they didn't want an angry Russian Bear beating down their doors once they realized Russia is less apt to negotiate with them.

I'd call coming real close to pissing off Russia a 'mistake', personally.

Blythe

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/surprising-turnabout-oklahoma-eyes-medicaid-expansion-39135178

Oklahoma's finally starting to have to address the Medicaid expansion, although not perfectly.

They'll have to do something. Health care system in Oklahoma is nearing something like collapse for the poorer parts of the state in particular (this has been coming for a few years now), and the budget deficit in my state isn't looking good (shortfall of $1.3 billion), partly due to oil prices decreasing, but there are other factors. The situation isn't the most dire it could be...but it's definitely not great right now.

Lustful Bride

Two Canadian Men in trouble after walking in a Yellowstone hotspring that is not allowed to the general public.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/men-face-complaint-after-walking-to-yellowstone-hot-spring/ar-BBt9WSQ?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*too lazy to read it all* I'm guessing that its because the hot spring is for scientific research and they polluted it with outside bacteria.

U.S. Senate signs bill to allow families of 9/11 victims to sue the Saudi Arabian government for possible perceived roles in the Setp 11th attacks.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/senate-approves-sept-11-legislation-despite-saudi-threats/ar-BBta6rK?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I am unsure how to feel on this. I say maybe the Saudi's should just kick anybody who was involved, if there are any, and leave it at that. If they commited a crime they should be punished and it would be good PR for SA in showing they are against terrorism and willing to work with others.

Either way this bill gives me a headache @_@

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 17, 2016, 04:20:55 PM
U.S. Senate signs bill to allow families of 9/11 victims to sue the Saudi Arabian government for possible perceived roles in the Setp 11th attacks.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/senate-approves-sept-11-legislation-despite-saudi-threats/ar-BBta6rK?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

I am unsure how to feel on this. I say maybe the Saudi's should just kick anybody who was involved, if there are any, and leave it at that. If they commited a crime they should be punished and it would be good PR for SA in showing they are against terrorism and willing to work with others.

Either way this bill gives me a headache @_@

This is a very... strange bill. I mean... How does this even work legally? What if one of these families decides to sue the Saudi-Arabian government. What happens next? How does a US bill force the hand of the Saudi government in any way to lend the lawsuit any credence?
As for whether it makes sense, I guess it depends to what degree Saudi-Arabia played a part in the attacks and whether proof of this involvement is sufficient.
Still, really weird.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI