1 on 1 based on Bladerunner

Started by Sardr, July 04, 2010, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sardr

I am looking for a one on one roleplay to ease into the forum a little, awaiting approval and still getting my bearings in this huge community.
I was thinking about something fairly low key, not too intricate, but with an interesting theme and setting.
Yesterday, I was listening to the soundtrack of Bladerunner, a great movie and something that I think could be a good starting point for something. For those not familiar with the movie, it is set in the near future, in a sort of cyberpunkish L.A. and revolves around a police unit, called bladerunners, who hunt down illegal replicants, which are synthetically created humans. In the movie, a veteran bladerunner is called upon to hunt down a group of these reps, but finds himself in way over his head and even begins to doubt the ethic of his line of work at some point.
So what I'm aiming for is perhaps a couple of bladerunners working together to hunt down a renegade replicant, maybe two replicant trying to avoid the law, or perhaps a bladerunner paired with an advanced replicant trying to pose as a bladerunner, or at least a human acquaintance of the bladerunner. The general tone would be a bit dark and brooding. Would anyone care to try this with a newbie on the forums?

Florence

It's been a while since I've seen Bladerunner, but if you wouldn't mind another newbie, I'd be up for it xD

I get it if you'd rather have someone more familiar with this forum, of course, so don't worry about it if you wanna do that xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Sardr

Hey there, fellow newbie. I'm sure we will do fine. :)
What kind of take has your fancy, though? Let me know what you would prefer and we can start off.

Florence

I kinda like the idea of one of us being a replicant posing as a bladerunner. Would you want to play the replicant or would you mind if I did? Of course, I guess another question would be what his motive would be. Whether he's trying to help other replicants avoid capture, actually helping capture them for some reason or what :O
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Sardr

I have no problem with you playing the covert rep. :)
About his motives, well, replicants do seem to think a little strangely, since they don't have that much life experience and lack complex emotions, so it's probably something to do with cold efficiency or a weird urge to comply to something. Maybe after the replicant had escaped, he heard a lot of praises about bladerunners making society safer, and aspired to become one, or maybe hiding in plain sight, next to your deadliest enemy is simply the most successful plan he devised. At any rate, I think it would be justifiable to either let the replicant be of a series that doesn't have the age limitation, or still be a Nexus 6 or something, with a faulty genome, which enables him to live longer than the average rep.

Florence

Alright, sounds good, and yeah, he can have a faulty genome or something, or be an experimental model that lacks an age limitation in exchange for some new kind of control mechanism (that apparently didn't work xD)

Any ideas for the over-arching plot, or a general direction?

Sardr

How about this:

October 2018. Fall has come to L.A. again, or at least, the calendar says so. Sure, it has become colder and it rains more often, but in this concrete jungle, in a world that has completely destroyed it's global climate, the only thing that is a sure way to identify one season from the other is the names of the months. Two bladerunners have been set on a particularly strange case. It seems a case gone cold has suddenly become active again, after a regular street cop was killed by a skin-job who very closely resembled a renegade rep from some time back.
In 2016, Tyrell had already introduced it's Nexus 6, with a capped lifespan of four years. In an experiment to slightly shorten or prolong these lifespans, Tyrell created the Longevity program to study the possibilities. The first results of the program were two replicant 'brothers' called Gil and Enki. They had been created to have a lifespan of six years, but instead the genome ruling this trait was corrupted and did not set a predetermined lifespan for the two. As word about the brothers spread, the project was soon cancelled, and the brothers were to be retired. Instead of retirement, the two managed to escape in a long and bloody chase through the industrial area around the Tyrell building and disappear. Nothing was heard from either of them, until today.

The cop killer was identified by ESPER security footage as Enki. The file on the Longevity program was dusted off and Metro put it in the hands of Bryant and that backstabbing bastard shoved it in our direction. 'Not very high profile, so right up your alley.' Seriously, that's what the bastard said. As if everyone has to be a perfect runner like Holden. Hell, Deckard made enough mistakes in his day, didn't he? Still, a job's a job. The crime scene is cold, but that Enki character was last spotted hanging out at some seedy downtown bar doubling as a brothel. Who knows why a rep would willingly seek out the company of real people? They're weird, unnatural, although not without their unique traits. They're more like pets, though, which is what they should stay. Companions and worker drones.

So we'll be off to that watering hole, see if we can find something on that Enki character. Probably changed his name, so I'll bring a few hard copies of his mug along. While we're at it, we might even trace his brother, Gil. That one still hasn't been found. If he is still alive, that is. Not having a predetermined lifespan means jack in this city. One well placed bullet, a knife in your back or too much of Chun Huang's famous noodles is enough to put anyone down, even some perfected skin-job. Still, a little bonus for finding the rep's brother would be good. Especially with the tax rise on synthetic pets of last month. Even though she's fake, I'm not going to take my Lexa to the trash.

Florence

Sorry for the delay, I had to re-educate myself on the basics, and that sounds like a pretty nice plot :O

Sardr

Alright, glad to hear that.
So shall we get started? If you don't mind, I will make the opening post. I'm thinking about dropping us at the front of the bar I mentioned in the introduction.

Florence

Alright, I think I got a pretty good idea of my character, so just point me at the main thread when it's up.

Sardr

Here is the link to the first post: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=74542.0

I think it would be cool to have either of us incorporate a few lines of thought in italics before or after an important event, just like in noir movies. It could help to give a little more depth to the characters and the story, and make it a little more like a movie kind of thing.

Florence

Nice ^^ I looked at the post and I'll work on mine soon, I just wanna get this writing prompt I was given done first.