What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Sara Nilsson

https://www.theroot.com/new-video-shows-students-account-of-what-chicago-police-1834010550

Chicago police claims the young teenage girl attacked them. But now we have video evidence that is.. horrific. Two grown police offers push a teenage girl down the stairs, kick and punch her, oh and lets not forget using a taser. One of them drag the poor girl down the stairs by one of her legs! And they claim she was problem. I am sorry even IF and she wasn't aggressive two grown police officers should be able to handle a teenage black girl without having to do all these things. Isn't that what they are trained for? But apperently all black girls have some form of secret Wakanda technology that makes them superhuman.

The police offers .. no longer work in schools. But still have their job and everything. And I will be surprised if they get anything other than a slap on the wrist while she is facing charges. Yes that is right, she is the one facing charges

QuoteDnigma, on the other hand, now faces two felony counts of aggravated battery stemming from the police confrontation. At a hearing last Friday, she was also placed on electronic monitoring and a Cook County Juvenile Court judge banned her from the Marshall High School campus.

https://www.theroot.com/chicago-police-removed-from-school-for-using-stun-gun-o-1832360498

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 15, 2019, 01:54:05 PM
This is a disaster.

Yes it is. Much of the middle section of the church seems to be beyond rescue. I hope they will be able to save the two western towers and the apse, but many of the famous glass paintings will have been badly damaged or destroyed by the heat.  :'(

Even then, if the fire is mostly limited to the naves, it will take many years to restore the edifice.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tolvo

From what I understand many of the important objects and art within are currently saved, since they were mostly in the vault. The Cathedral has been bombed before so a lot of it has already been rebuilt and is not actually it's actual design from history. This does suck but not as much as people think is being lost, there are some things that will be but it appears much of what matters has been saved.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Tolvo on April 15, 2019, 03:38:11 PM
From what I understand many of the important objects and art within are currently saved, since they were mostly in the vault. The Cathedral has been bombed before so a lot of it has already been rebuilt and is not actually it's actual design from history. This does suck but not as much as people think is being lost, there are some things that will be but it appears much of what matters has been saved.
It escaped major bombings during the world wars -  Hitler wanted to destroy Paris, including Notre-Dame, before the Nazis left the city but his plan was stalled by the local German commander, a cultured man, at the peril of his own life (he could have been hanged for treason on Hitler's whim).

The Cathedral was renovated quite a bit in the mid-19th century though, and with great care; before that time it was not in a good shape at all.

Tolvo

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 15, 2019, 03:58:26 PM
It escaped major bombings during the world wars -  Hitler wanted to destroy Paris, including Notre-Dame, before the Nazis left the city but his plan was stalled by the local German commander, a cultured man, at the peril of his own life (he could have been hanged for treason on Hitler's whim).

The Cathedral was renovated quite a bit in the mid-19th century though, and with great care; before that time it was not in a good shape at all.

I mean before then, during riots and revolutions, many of the statues and windows are modern attempts at recreation, same for much of the internal and external designs. I think the original statues of the Kings of Jerusalem(That revolutionaries thought were French Monarchs and tried to destroy) were in the vault and thus would be saved.

Mechelle

From what I hear, although the damage is clearly severe, the cathedral's structure has been saved from total destruction.  One firefighter has been hurt; hopefully, there are no further injuries.

Tolvo

Thankfully I haven't seen any reported fatalities, hopefully it stays that way.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Mechelle on April 15, 2019, 04:04:48 PM
From what I hear, although the damage is clearly severe, the cathedral's structure has been saved from total destruction.  One firefighter has been hurt; hopefully, there are no further injuries.

True, a guy reporting for BBC News - he's in Paris - just said that it looks like they'll be able to save most of the essential structure of the church. It's the roof that's burning, not so much the lower parts of the entire church. And the vaults don't seem to be falling in either.

And the western part, with the two towers, seems to escape without too bad damage. :( Hope the great organ and the big rosette window will escape too, they're next to the western front.

gaggedLouise

Officials are saying the western towers will survive without too serious damage. I figure that's footed on what the fire brigade told them. :)

Also, the fire doesn't seem to have spread to other old buildings on the crowded island. There are several other famous buildings there, another very famous church, the Sainte-Chapelle with fabulous glass paintings that were cleaned and renovated just a few years ago (I saw those in 2016), and old bridges over the Seine.

Sara Nilsson

Markus

Do we know what exactly started this fire anyway?

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

Sara Nilsson

probably the renovation. some tools or something.

but if you believe some on the internet (aka the assholes) they have it "confirmed" that it was either a left wing atheist or a Muslim extremist.

Markus

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 15, 2019, 10:38:55 PM

Well that sounds pretty damn negligent if that is the case.

but if you believe some on the internet (aka the assholes) they have it "confirmed" that it was either a left wing atheist or a Muslim extremist.

I see. And these people are basing their theories on what exactly?

мαякυs's αωσℓ ησтιcε

ᴀɴᴅ ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡʙᴏʀɴ ɢᴏ ғʀᴏᴍ ʜᴇʀᴇ? ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴛ ɪs ᴠᴀsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴғɪɴɪᴛᴇ.

legomaster00156

Wow, people managed to confirm an arsonist's identity and religious history, even as the Paris police ruled out arson? What incredible sleuths!

"A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes."

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: markus on April 15, 2019, 10:45:15 PM
Well that sounds pretty damn negligent if that is the case.

I see. And these people are basing their theories on what exactly?

The 100% correct way: pulling it from their arses

Beorning

I really hope it will be possible to restore the cathedral...

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 15, 2019, 02:19:32 PM
https://www.theroot.com/new-video-shows-students-account-of-what-chicago-police-1834010550

Chicago police claims the young teenage girl attacked them. But now we have video evidence that is.. horrific. Two grown police offers push a teenage girl down the stairs, kick and punch her, oh and lets not forget using a taser. One of them drag the poor girl down the stairs by one of her legs! And they claim she was problem. I am sorry even IF and she wasn't aggressive two grown police officers should be able to handle a teenage black girl without having to do all these things. Isn't that what they are trained for? But apperently all black girls have some form of secret Wakanda technology that makes them superhuman.

The police offers .. no longer work in schools. But still have their job and everything. And I will be surprised if they get anything other than a slap on the wrist while she is facing charges. Yes that is right, she is the one facing charges

https://www.theroot.com/chicago-police-removed-from-school-for-using-stun-gun-o-1832360498

From what I understand, the charges have been dropped? Also, I wonder if race was a factor here - I may be wrong, but one of the officers seems to be black, too?

Anyway, this video *is* outrageous. As I understand, the officers were called to remove this girl from school... and I wouldn't suprised if she was uncooperative. But it doesn't justify her being dragged down the stairs like that! And tasering her after she started kicking because of it!

Those guys should be kicked out of force immediately - or face some severe disciplinary measures. They obviously don't know how to do their job!

Also, the idea of calling cops on a kid in school... seriously? Why just not call the parent? American schools are weird...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on April 15, 2019, 11:24:33 PM
American schools are weird...

Understatement of the year really.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 15, 2019, 11:25:48 PM
Understatement of the year really.

+1.

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 15, 2019, 10:29:38 PM

Seems the damage so far isn't too bad. https://twitter.com/areinaud/status/1117916691353067521

I was pointing out to Little Oni that Notre Dame is an amazing piece of engineering - the arches you can see there make the building incredibly resilient. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

I read and article that said the most dangerous time for a site like Notre Dame is when it is being renovated because of welding and burning need to be done to the structure.

If I can find it I'll post a link.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 16, 2019, 01:51:06 AM
I read and article that said the most dangerous time for a site like Notre Dame is when it is being renovated because of welding and burning need to be done to the structure.

If I can find it I'll post a link.

Yep, I'm hearing that too: it's not that uncommon for carelessly used tools or electric failures to cause fire incidents during renovation. Most of them are much smaller-scale and are quickly put out, of course, but the odd one can cause great havoc, and not least if it happens high up on a roof and with lots of wood to feed the fire nearby (most old churches have a superstructure of wood in the attic, between the inner vaults and the outward roof).

It may have been due to some careless workers and a company wanting to cut corners and chipping down on the proper safety of the work. :(

gaggedLouise

Hundreds of millions of euros are being donated for the reconstruction of the damaged cathedral just from business companies within France, and no doubt there will be more from across Europe.

Meanwhile both Queen Elizabeth and Vladimir Putin have expressed their profound sadness at hearing of the conflagration: "what happened tonight to the Notre-Dame strikes pain in the heart of Russians" the Kremlin declared in a message to the French people and president Macron (article in French)

gaggedLouise

Best roundup I've seen so far of what was saved/left unharmed of the artistic and other treasures of the Notre-Dame:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/15/europe/notre-dame-artifacts/index.html

Sara Nilsson

https://splinternews.com/fox-friends-idiot-ok-so-notre-dame-fire-bad-but-ra-1834075401

Fox news has the REAL scoop around Notre Dame.

Quote“It’s just amazing when you have one thing happen in one famous city and the whole world watches and has a stake in it,” Kilmeade said on the show today. “And probably, I imagine, the ratings around the world went through the roof because everyone was talking about it.”

The ratings!!! This is what is important.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 16, 2019, 10:14:59 AM
https://splinternews.com/fox-friends-idiot-ok-so-notre-dame-fire-bad-but-ra-1834075401

Fox news has the REAL scoop around Notre Dame.

The ratings!!! This is what is important.

Yeah I bet Fox was the only US network that could offer continuous updates about it - it's not as if CNN and BBC World were covering the fire live for much of the afternoon US time? *snerk*