Wanna be a Rockstar?

Started by Apple of Eris, March 07, 2008, 12:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

Only a few months ago they were playing seedy bars and clubs, then after winning a local band competition in Philly on 104.5 FM, the band Violator was signed to an independent label and given recording time in a pro studio to cut their own cd. After a couple months of hard work, it was done, the band's first professional LP 'Anarchic Language' was set for release in March. Even before its official release, the CD started getting some good airplay on the east coast and Wire, Rolling Stone, and Spin were calling it the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind. The album hit the net over the next couple weeks and started getting heavily downloaded. Now with the release about to hit and a US tour about to start, their lives are going to change forever...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game will start at the CD release party for the band the day before the start of the tour and their first show in their "hometown" of Philadelphia, PA. The band is joined by a small group of essential extras and hangers-on such as their manager, a couple roadies/techs, and maybe a journalist who is joining the up and coming band for their first ever tour. Oh, and the band is a punk rock style band! ;)

The Band:
Alexandra X - Lead Vocals & Rhythm Guitar - Cherri Tart
Jenna Watson - Lead Guitar - appleoferis
? - Bass - ?
? - Drums - ?

Supporting Cast:
Road Manager
Tech(s)/Roadie(s)
Journalist(?)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Kalen

I'd love to be the nearly invisible bass player.. or even a series of bass players.  They're all interchangeable, right?

DreadD

I'd be quite pleased to run a male journalist or something, I'm not sure I could pull off a band member, but I'd love to be along for the ride.

Deathnote

I'd like to join as the drummer.  :p

Hikari

I play drums in the Rock Band video game!  Am I qualified?

I'm thinking Irish goth-punk hyperactive drum-machine slayer!

...  nuts, scooped.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

HairyHeretic

If the posting rate doesn't need to be that intense, I can come aboard as the engineer / pit crew. Dreams of rock stardom of his own, frustrated by the minor fact that he just has no ability to play or sing. Maybe secretly writing lyrics, and having a thing for either / both of the girls, unrequited and likely unknown, cos hey, who looks at the guys that set stuff up. Pyrotechnics, sound, general techie, he can turn his hand to pretty much any of it, and has at one time or another.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AKunoichi

Deathnote

Quote from: Hikari on March 07, 2008, 01:29:10 PM
I play drums in the Rock Band video game!  Am I qualified?

I'm thinking Irish goth-punk hyperactive drum-machine slayer!

...  nuts, scooped.

Well... I could always pick up another instrument or take up another role instead.  :p

See... the kind of character I have in mind is someone with very little confidence in his abilities, but talented nonethless and simply needs someone to bring him out of his shell.  The reason why he started following the band in the first place was to become as strong as them.  ^_^

Fyrangel

I'd be glad to do the Road Manager, setting up the gigs, making sure things are the way they are supposed to be. 

Apple of Eris

Okay okay... hang on here, lots of responses...

First off, Drummer, yep, sorry Hik, you got beat there by 3 minutes. So in the interests of fairness I'm giving dibs to Deathnote, but I'll wait to see the results of your negotiations. If you like though, I don't think Cherri would mind giving up Rhythm guitar for another player. I don't want to speak for her though, so we'll see what she says. ;)

hh - I put you down as sound engineer. I doubt the posting rate will be astronomical. As for your wanting to write lyrics? You'll have to take that up with Alexandra, she's kinda crazy though, so... *grins* :)

AK - Yes

Fyr - Cool, one manager found... you'll have your hands full with this group! *wink*

Violator (the band):
Alexandra X - Lead Vocals & Rhythm Guitar - Cherri Tart
Jenna Watson - Lead Guitar - appleoferis
? - Bass - Kalen
? - Drums - Deathnote or Hikari

Supporting Cast:
Road Manager - Fyrangel
Roadie1 - AK47
Sound Engineer - hairyheretic
Journalist - DreadD

---------------------------------------------------

If I missed anyone please let me know and I'll fix this up right quick :)
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stattick

This is not far from an idea I had not too long ago...

In my idea, a young woman with very good technical skills with the guitar is trying to break into the big time, and decides that maybe the way to do so is by becoming a groupie w/ an established act. The thing is, although her technical skills are superb, she just doesn't have the soul, grit, and angst yet to be great because of her priviliged life. Nevertheless, because she's young, hot, and oh so innocent, the band greets her warmly with every intent of corrupting her and probably discarding her once they tire of her...

Anyhow, so where's the groupies on that list?  ;D
O/O   A/A

Apple of Eris

*laughs* I think we could fit a groupie or two into the mix.

And oh yes, she most definatley would end up corrupted with this bunch. *grin*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Stattick

Well I am tempted to run a groupie, and specifically a shy sub, but...

I've never had a problem playing or portraying female characters. Being a long time GM and even a longer time writer, I've always had to do so anyway. The thing is, after joining E here, I've seen that often when guys portray girls, especially with the more intimate stuff, the characters just tends to ring false when compared to the genuine article (female portraying a female). So when I joined, I never had a problem with cross-gender portrayals, but now it just doesn't feel as genuine as it should. It doesn't squick me out or anything like that, but I guess it's made me a bit gun shy of wanting to try it. I dunno, it's probably less of an issue in a mult-person game then it would be in a one-on-one. Still, I think the part(s) would probably be better served by actual female player(s).
O/O   A/A

DreadD

I think, really, even if you find the portrayal rings a touch false, I would definately say that if you want to play it... Go for it!  You might think your portrayal isn't as good, but I would definately say it's better than no portrayal.  No it's not exactly my place to say, but I'd support it.  Look at it this way: No one else will play that exact character, so if you want to see what potential that role has...  Well it's you or no one.

Hikari

I could do rhythm guitar, too.  I'm a Guitar Hero!(*)  Either way would be fine for me, depending on what Cherri and Deathnote want to do.  I'm last in line, so it's not my say.

*Disclaimer: Does not denote the ability to play the guitar or be heroic.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Cherri Tart

hey - i'd love to pass the guitar job over to Hikari - i had originally just signed on to sing, so really, it's not at all a problem :)

PS - apple calling me kind of crazy is sort of like the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it? *grins*

pps - Stattick -  i vote, give it a go - the only way to improve writing, is to practice, and if you really want to write a girl, you should :)  it IS a game, after all, and it's meant to be fun.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Fyrangel

I hope so, where would the fun be if a Punk rock group wasn't a handful... or two handfuls depending on the lady.  *wink* 

Deathnote

Yay!  That means we got ourselves a band, right?  ^_^

Let's see... what name should I give the character...?  >_>

Hikari

I'm just brainstorming, but what I'm thinking right now...

Mary O'Connel--she's trying to get the nickname 'Bloody Mary' to stick, in the great tradition of guitarists like Slash and Flea--is an Irish-born girl who became deeply interested in music at a young age, specifically 'classic' British punk rock.  As a teen, she dropped out of school and pissed away to England to try and make it as a musician, but found the scene wasn't really to her liking...  she remembered the UK as a powerhouse of rock innovation, so influential that even foreign acts would try to fake a Cockney accent to land some easy credibility, but that's pretty far from the modern reality.

After bouncing from band to band without much success to speak of, Mary landed a spot in a moderately-successful 'emo' band Vassago.  The band never made it big, but they got enough label pressure behind them to do a stateside tour, at least.  While there she met one of the other members of Violator and ultimately ended up jumping ship to join the forming group, citing, "Fuck this pop-tart shite!"

Mary is an extremely talented guitarist, but everyone's learning quickly to keep her away from a microphone...  both during sets, and interviews.  As a vocalist she only has two settings: 'hum' and 'fullmetal screamo gnashing teeth', and as a subject of media attention she's no more reserved; she seems to have poor impulse control and a nose for the sensational, and while her over-the-top attitude and hypersexualization can certainly generate publicity, it's not always the good kind.

There's some lingering goth-emo accents to her style from her time in her last band, but Mary's punk at the core.  Fishnets and spikes are awesome, but ankhs and black eyeliner are for pansies!  Everyone should have crazy hair!  Fast music!
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Fyrangel

Jaiden Harrison,  aka Jade.   

A fiery red head with jade green eyes.  Sometimes called the Dragon Lady for her fierce way of getting her band their gigs and what they want.  Not to mention enjoying the Toys and groupies along the way.

Heather

I think that the idea of  being a groupie sounds very interesting. Hehehe.

Phunnie Bone

I see that Hairy Heretic is the only Techie, and I think he may need some company! I'd love to make a sidekick for him, so that he won't be doing the sound check all by his lonesome.
"..words concocted from the lyrical locksmith, deadly as ten droplets of ricin toxin.."

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

There appears to be one roadie, but a second won't go amiss.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cherri Tart

btw, i thought i'd share this, seeing as how Apple is the only one who's read it so far, and it should give a good idea of the flavor - btw, loved Bloody Mary's history and i'm looking forward to playing with her! wow - i mean, this is going to be one hell of a ride :D

Alexandria Irglovia was an ordinary girl.  She’d been born to ordinary parents in and ordinary town.  She grew up with ordinary friends, went to an ordinary school, got ordinary grades, and had ordinary dreams.  She’d lost her virginity in an ordinary way to an ordinary boyfriend whom she then broke up with in an un-extraordinary way.

Alexandria was ordinarily pretty with mousy brown hair, dark eyes, and ordinary smile.  Her figure and height were ordinary for someone of her age.   It was as if she had been destined to be no one.  Just another ordinary girl who would grow old, marry, lead an ordinary life, then die an ordinary death.

Then she met Zinck.  There was nothing ordinary about Zinck. He was dangerous, brutal, savage, passionate, full of a dark energy.  The first night that they had met, he took her to a party and got her drunk.  Afterwards he’d fucked her in the bathroom, up against the wall, then again on the kitchen table, in front of everyone, making her beg him to cum.  That night her world had changed.  Her shell cracked and the ordinariness of her being bled out and for the first time in her life she experienced a dark, savage joy.  It was life, freedom, ecstasy.  Once tasted, never forgotten. At the age of 17, she threw off the shackles of an ordinary life and moved out of the life that once had been so comfortable, even as it devoured her body and soul.

She moved to Philly, reinvented herself.  No longer Alexandria Irglovia, she became Persephone, lived in a squat with extraordinary people, artists, musicians, poets, writers, rebels, addicts and drunks, pimps and prostitutes.  Lost souls.  She learned how to rage and revel and create and destroy.  Chaos fueled her.  She took lovers and collected tattoos and piercings, looking for a way to channel the fire that burned within her, consuming her from within.  She took to drink  and drugs, stole for the joy of it, waged a one woman war on the city around her, losing her way in the darkness, unfocused, searching for meaning within and without, and never finding it, each failure killing her by increments, until there was nothing left but a cracked and empty shell, hollow eyes staring out of a ghost like face…

And then, came salvation.  One night.  One unforgettable night, she walked into a club and was met by a wall of noise that touched her spirit, brought her to her knees, saved her soul.  The band had been called Tabala Rasa, and they were well named.  She had walked into the club, her soul stained and dirty, and the music had scrubbed her clean, destroying Persephone once and for all, leaving Alex X in her wake.   Two days later she was standing in a garage, disgorging every hurt, every fear, all the hate and rage and pain that had left her soul in tatters, scar upon scar, in a cacophony of words, turning them to a dark and fierce joy.  Finally, she had found her true calling and discovered the only weapon she had for the war she was about to wage against an ordinary world.  Her voice.

And so, she began writing songs about life, about love, about…

Addiction

Doesn't matter what I believe
You fuck me up and I want you to hear
Get it right boy, yeah I want you to hear
When you walk, when you talk
Every promise that you make
you're so full of lies, you’re just a mistake

I don't care what you're like
I don’t care what you want
Cause I want to believe
Yeah, I want to believe
And I need to believe
That I want to be free

Cause I'm addicted to you
Yeah baby, I'm addicted to you
Motherfucker, I'm addicted to you
Cause you get me through
Yeah, you get me through

Doesn’t matter if I am free
Cause I am hungry for truth, I am hungry for you
It ain't no lie what I believe
It ain't no lie what I believe
Every promise that you make
Every promise that you break

Burn me clean of your infection
Burn me clean of your rejection
I want you to hear
You mess me up and I want you to hear

Cos I'm addicted to you
Yeah baby, I'm addicted to you
Mother fucker, I'm addicted to you
Cos you get me through
Yeah, you get me through
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Apple of Eris

Okay...

The last couple who asked to be in Welcome to the game. I think we'll freeze admittance there though since this thing is getting crowded.
I'll be posting an OOC in a moment where we can place character stuff and I'll put in the whole cast list so far as well.

Anyway, Jenna's story, since Cherri showed hers :)

Jenna Watson was anything but ordinary. She was born to parents who were each wealthy in their own respect, Jenna's mother was a daughter of old Main Line suburban money., while her father had made millions in the stock market and real estate. Their house was one of the big stone three story mansions out in Gladwyne, away from most of the hustle and bustle of the city. It was kind of silly Jenna always thought, to have a huge place for just her parents, brother, and herself. Her father always insisted though, that one had to keep up appearances. Jenna, like her older brother, was a model child of rich parents. She went to the finest private schools in the area, took lessons in everything from horseback riding to tennis. Of course it was in music where her talents really started to shine through. Her father encouraged Jenna's musical studies, happy to see that his own father's musical talents, while maybe having skipped him, seemed to have found their way into his daughter. Her mother though, decided Jenna was spending far too much time with music, and while that was fine as a hobby, it just wouldn't do to let her spend so much time on it.

After making it through to college, Jenna enrolled at Wells College in New York, originally as an International Studies major, just to keep her parents' satisfied. However, once there she switched to Music and proved to be quite talented on Piano, Guitar, and Bass. She could even sing a little, though she was a bit shy about her voice and so didn't sing all too often.

By the middle of her second year, her parents discovered the change in majors, and while neither approved, her mother had a near fit. Telling Jenna if she refused to switch majors to something respectable, she could pay for school herself. Jenna refused to change back and was forced to drop out of the school. Once home, she gathered her things and moved out. Crashing with some friends who had been renting a house in north Philly. She didn't have much money, really just her clothes and instruments, and her friends, being protective of the always sheltered girl told her not to worry. Still, she felt like she should contribue, pay something, so started selling her jewelry and other nice things her parents had given her, even the Mercedes they bought for her on her sixteenth birthday.

Her friends introduced her to a few people who played in local bands, and Jenna started spenindg a lot of time playing other peoples' songs. She had a true talent for picking up songs with only a couple listens and could keep up with even the meanest axe-men of the city. Still, she really hadn't found her own voice, though she discovered a love for old style punk rock. The rebelliousness of it, the deep-rooted anger against the hypocrisy and oppression around them, that was what she felt even though she had never been able to express it.

In truth she felt alienated, just like those old punk rockers. She had a small group of real friends she stayed with, but other than that she never connected with anyone. She avoided personal relationships like people avoided lepers, afraid to become connected to anyone. Still she couldn't express that anger, that sense of not belonging though her guitar because she didn't know how. Despite that, her reputation among local musicians continued to grow simply because she was a pretty girl, and she damn well could play.

She found her voice finally on a night in Philly's old city. She had been invited to fill in for the guitarist of Tabula Rasa who had come down with the flu and couldn't play that evening at the show. Jenna got a hold of their songs and learned them quickly enough to do a decent job during the show. Fortunately, that led to a meeting two days later in the dingy garage attached to the house she and her friends rented, and there, she found her voice.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking