Interest check: Star Trek (prime universe) group role play.

Started by Tamhansen, April 05, 2013, 04:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

The year is 2395. 20 years have passed since the dominion wars, and 8 since the Hobus supernova destroyed the Romulan homeworld. With the cardassians still building up their empire, and the Romulans locked in a bloody civil war, the only true powers in the alpha and beta quadrants are the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon empire. Once great allies, they've drifted apart and current relations are tense at best.

3 months ago a Federation research expedition found a new stable wormhole. Only the second one ever discovered, and like the one near Bajor, it leads to the Gamma quadrant, albeit far away from that one. The Federation has decided to send out a small scout ship to look for a good spot to build a star base and establish a foothold in the Gamma quadrant. The USS Amsterdam is a refitted intrepid class vessel, equipped with the best technology the UFP has to offer.

I'm looking for players to play the crew of the Amsterdam on their adventure. It is a free form system with very little rules. The game will be episodical, with each episode having a main story goal and obstacles, but the players can decide how to handle this. The synopsis for the first episode is in blue at the end of the post.

Character creation is very simple:

Name:
Race:
Position:
Sexual orientation:
Bio:
Picture or description:

I will not accept canon characters, and any links to canon characters must be tenuous at best. Also be sure to give your characters interesting strengths AND weaknesses. I've no issues with Mary Sues but perfect characters bore me. Any role on the ship is open except for the first officer, which is mine, and the Captain is to be a female, but anyone can play her. Minor positions are open to be used as NPC's, and any encountered aliens are open npc spots as well.

I'm not looking to actively gm this, nor do I think anyone needs to. I have a tendency to drop off for a bit time and again. I will however set up an episode plot every few weeks, so as not to stall the game. Any ideas for episode plots are welcome, and please expand on any plot given as you wish.

As the crew of the Amsterdam, newly assembled by the admiralty starts their journey and gets acquainted with one another (in more ways than one) it becomes clear that emotions run high. Higher in fact than was to be suspected. Amid irritations, arguments, lust, and merriment, the crew struggle to discover the source. This turns out to be an alien energy based entity which feeds of the chemicals released by emotions, and has learned how to enhance them in humanoids

ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Baalborn87

I'd be interested in taking role of ships doctor/Chief medical officer. If that's Ok

Tamhansen

ons and offs

RubySlippers

Have room for an engineering hologram, the next stage of holographic Federation personnel wired in with a portable emitter reversed engineered by Starfleet. A small ship unlikely have lots of room a Hologram might make sense and be fun.

Tamhansen

Sounds interesting Ruby. Mobile emmiter technology has improved and become more commonplace. Could lead to some unique situations.
ons and offs

rikka

Are Federation races, other than humans and vulcans, allowed? From Andorians to the Aurelian bird men; from the catlike Caitians to the tentacled Sulamids?
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

Tamhansen

I'd be up to allow any canon race either within the federation or aligned to it. Even any others if the story is right. I'd prefer those without special environmental requirements though.
ons and offs

Phaia

do you have a concept for the female captain or just that you want her to be female?

Phaia

Tamhansen

Just female. I like the dynamic of a female CO with a male XO ala voyager. The idea is based a little bit on Janeway yes, but the character need be nothing like her, except of course being a skilled commanding officer.
ons and offs

Latooni Subota

Got room for a red shirt- . . I mean . . uh  . . helmswoman? Everyone needs a good navigator for jumping through wormholes, and piloting shuttles back and forth, right? *Cough*
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Baalborn87

Phaia

I was thinking either Betazoid or Vulcan for the captain and going with this look

never know what you can find online

Summer Glau for Star Trek

Phaia

Tamhansen

I like all the ideas posted so far. Just want to see the simple Character sheets if possible. I'll note it here again for ease.

Character creation is very simple:

Name:
Race:
Position:
Sexual orientation:
Bio:
Picture or description:

I will not accept canon characters, and any links to canon characters must be tenuous at best. Also be sure to give your characters interesting strengths AND weaknesses. I've no issues with Mary Sues but perfect characters bore me. Also you see rank isn't in the bio. I will decide rank based on the composition of the crews, the bios and discussion with the players most department head functions will be lieutenant with variation in rare cases to lieutenant commander or lieutenant junior grade.

'm also thinking of putting this in NC exotic. This because mind control, slavery and aggression are very common concepts in the series itself.

Positions

Commanding officer: Open
Executive officer: Katataban as Commander Tam Hansen (char sheet below)
Chief medical officer: Baalborn87 as Lieutenant George Manez
Chief operations officer: open
Chief Navigational officer: Open
Chief tactical and security officer: Raziel As Lieutenant Commander Kaylen Sheppard
Chief Science officer: open
Chief engineering officer: Open
Ship's councilor: open

Any junior roles can be filled by secondary characters, please consult the relevant department heads if they are assigned to avoid conflicts. If none is assigned please consult me.
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Name: Tam Hansen
Race: Betazoid
Position: Executive officer
Sexual orientation: Bi but prefers females.

Bio: (Short version) Born on Betazed in 2367 as the son of Deanna Hansen, matron of the second house of betazed and Reittan Elbrun. His mother was a major player in the federation diplomatic corps, and only months after Tam was born, she helped draft the Federation Cardassian peace treaty, ending 20 years of hostilities, though it wouldn't last long. Tam was raised to follow in his mother's footsteps as was his elder sister Alana. When Tam was 4 years old, the dominion wars started. His mother was needed to help sign treaties with various Alpha and Beta quadrant powers, including the famous triple alliance. Alana and Tam were sent to live with their aunt on Risa 6. Three years later, disaster struck and Betazed was occupied. Both of Tam's parents died, making Alana the new head of the second house. Tam, only seven years old was destroyed by the news. He kept up his training, and eventually got into the diplomatic corps. He also attended the academy as he wanted to serve the federation should another war break out. While at the Academy he learned the true reason behind the easy capture. Admiral Hayden had assigned it's protectors, starfleet's tenth fleet, to a training run, even though the fleet's commander, rear admiral Masc had warned of rumours an attack was impending.

Tam vowed to find out the whole truth, and in this he found an ally in Lieutenant Dodgers of the JAG corps, who was part of the liberation force of Betazed 12 years earlier. Dodgers got Tam a position in Hayden's department, and for nearly nine years Tam worked to out Hayden. a year ago, he finally managed to bring enough proof to Dodgers and his companions to start an indictment, and Tam had to be reassigned to avoid people finding out. He was sent to the Commander's course at the Academy, and after that was assigned to the newly built USS Amsterdam as its Executive officer.
ons and offs

Baalborn87

Name: George Manez
Race: Human
Position: Chief Medical Officer
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual
Bio: (brief) Born in 2367 aboard a his parents federation cargo vessel. George  spent most of his life travelling to different planets. Spending most of his time studying or helping about the ship. He wasn't the only child aboard the vessel, his best friend. A young girl named Thelia was also aboard with her mother, who happened to be ships doctor. Thelia's mother being the protective sort had them play where she could keep an eye on them. So George spent a lot of time in and around the sickbay, playing at orderly. Soon discovering a knack for medicine, nurtured by the doctor and supported by his parents (who were more than happy that he was going to make something of himself) he threw himself into his studies. A few years later the ship came across a federation starship which had been attacked and needed aid. Having a decent degree of medical experience, George was chosen to assist the doctor. Displaying exceptional skill with emergency medicine, the starship's own doctor took note of George and upon enquiring with his parents told them about Starfleet academy.

Joining up as soon as he was old enough George was able to attain his doctorate in internal medicine. Completing his training he has been posted aboard different starships, ranging from small scout vessels to large battleships. Always proving himself well in the heat of combat and during humanitarian missions equally.
His warm demeanour and relaxed attitude setting the most nervous of patients at ease.
His current posting aboard the Amsterdam is his first in which he is in charge of his own sickbay and he is throwing himself into it with his characteristic gusto.

Tamhansen

I accepted both your characters. I put both on Lieutenant, will consider Sheppard for LC once I had a talk with the Captain. Think it will not be a problem.
ons and offs

Latooni Subota

Actually, after further thought, I decided not to go for this after all. My excitement over the concept overwhelmed my remembering what sorts of RPs I do well in. >.>
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Tamhansen

too bad Latooni, if you change your mind be sure to check back
ons and offs

Photo

Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Phaia

i will see about getting this done later to day

have some other posts that i need to catch up

Phaia

Tamhansen

ok. While we wait for Phaia and any others still coming I've started the OOC thread here https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=170937.0
Will start IC later today.
ons and offs

RubySlippers

I won't play either freeforms to me are not games, games have for me roleplaying rules (sheets and stats and skills) and rolling lots of funny shaped dice ideally.

Hyena Dandy

Might it make sense to separate tactical and security? That's something that bugs me in Trek a lot. It seems to me you'd want your tactical guy to be able to focus on shooting enemy ships even if there's a boarding party. And remember, Worf didn't originally start out with both roles, Yar was Security until she died.

I'm interested, so either way is fine. Just a question. :)

I have a few Trek-set characters that I can use, depending on the role.

ElvenKitten

Would be interested in the Ops position, will have a character done soon.

Joanne87

Name                       : Nelosi
Race                         : Trill (without a symbiont and not interested in get one)
Position                    : navigation (if still available)
Sexual orientation    : hetero but never say never
Bio                            : when its done
Picture or description: -
"Wenn du dich mit dem Teufel einlässt verändert sich nicht der Teufel, der Teufel verändert dich."