Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss... (Pratchett fans read)

Started by Callie Del Noire, March 18, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Remiel

As someone who has nearly the entire Discworld collection, I say:

There can be no such thing as too much Pratchett!

And yes, Hogfather was a commendable effort, given the difficulty of transcribing books to film.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 18, 2011, 04:37:30 PM
As someone who has nearly the entire Discworld collection, I say:

There can be no such thing as too much Pratchett!

And yes, Hogfather was a commendable effort, given the difficulty of transcribing books to film.

"It's one in a million....maybe...hopefully..."

Sigh.. makes me wish the old Discworld game was still going.. we were 'contracted consultants ' for the watch. Our pay was doing this for the Patrician gratis .. for a variety of reasons.

I played a Unseen student turned Small God, there was a con-artist (he was on 'loan' from the thieves guild. A 'Work Release', he worked for the Patrician the Guild 'releases' him from his death sentence' and so on.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 18, 2011, 05:57:27 PM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/08/terry-jones-adapting-good-omens-into-a-tv-series/

AND GOOD OMENS.. all goodness. :D

I wasn't sure which bit to squee at in that article.  My gaming group went through a few months shortly after Good Omens came out where we read the book out loud on 'between game' nights.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

grdell

AWESOMENESS!

Yet one more reason I wish I lived in the U.K.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Remiel

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 18, 2011, 05:48:14 PM
"It's one in a million....maybe...hopefully..."

Sigh.. makes me wish the old Discworld game was still going.. we were 'contracted consultants ' for the watch. Our pay was doing this for the Patrician gratis .. for a variety of reasons.

I played a Unseen student turned Small God, there was a con-artist (he was on 'loan' from the thieves guild. A 'Work Release', he worked for the Patrician the Guild 'releases' him from his death sentence' and so on.

What game was this?  I WANT TO JOIN

At an online Christmas party once, I went as Death of the Discworld.  I didn't expect anyone there to know who or what I was, at least until, as fate would have it, someone showed up as the Librarian.  I can only imagine that our conversation must have seemed quite strange to those not in the know:

YES, BUT WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT, WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT, I MEAN REALLY?

"Oook!"

REALLY? IT'S THAT SIMPLE?

"Ooook! Ook ook ook eek, ook oook ook oooooooook ook ook ook oooky eeek ook."

WELL, YES, I SUPPOSE SO, WHEN YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT.

Oniya

We had someone play the librarian in a 'bring your own character' game.  (The system was created based on what characters showed up - it wasn't unusual to see a D&D fighter working alongside a Shadowrun decker when we played these.) 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 20, 2011, 01:45:20 AM
What game was this?  I WANT TO JOIN

At an online Christmas party once, I went as Death of the Discworld.  I didn't expect anyone there to know who or what I was, at least until, as fate would have it, someone showed up as the Librarian.  I can only imagine that our conversation must have seemed quite strange to those not in the know:

YES, BUT WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT, WHEN YOU GET RIGHT DOWN TO IT, I MEAN REALLY?

"Oook!"

REALLY? IT'S THAT SIMPLE?

"Ooook! Ook ook ook eek, ook oook ook oooooooook ook ook ook oooky eeek ook."

WELL, YES, I SUPPOSE SO, WHEN YOU PUT IT LIKE THAT.

It bombed out after the 'first case' the GM turned out to have let a minor into two of his other games and he got banned from the site. We (the rest of the players) had to send a mail to the site admin that we were all above the age of consent for our area and were refraimed from playing in an adult game for two months.

I missed that character.. He had become the 'oh-goddess' of sex due to an accident during Hogsfather involving Hex, a Thuam Accellerator, a 'liquid lunch' from the Mended Drum and a trio of rubber bands. Needless to say, that was how the character got to be an Ex-student of UU.

Her speciality was L-space and looking 'hot' in anything (which was typically a full body cloak and concealing wizard's robes.

One of the other players, the 'thief on loan' had been retrieved by 'golem parole officer'.

Callie Del Noire

And IF I recall the 'exchange student from the Counterweight continent' insulted the librarian.

No, he didn't use the M-word.. he criticized the library.

Remiel

And now you're making my head churn with ideas.  Stop it, stop it!  ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 20, 2011, 03:05:01 AM
And now you're making my head churn with ideas.  Stop it, stop it!  ;D

Nudge nudge.  <wants to play the small goddess again>

Hy3na

My fiance found footage of Pratchett himself talking about the prospective TV show, which means that its more than just a rumor. I'm having trouble finding it because my google-fu isn't as strong as hers is. But YAY! Confirmation!

NotCarrot

I had seen the bit about the Discworld series, but Good Omens, too? *manful squealing*

Related note, has anyone seen the 'Colour of Magic' TV adaption? I'd kind of like to see it, but David Jason as Rincewind makes me a bit wary (I liked him as Albert, but... Rincewind...).

Ramster

It's brilliant, and covers both The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic. David Jason is good at playing any Pratchettian bedraggled old man, it seems!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: NotCarrot on March 26, 2011, 04:44:26 PM
I had seen the bit about the Discworld series, but Good Omens, too? *manful squealing*

Related note, has anyone seen the 'Colour of Magic' TV adaption? I'd kind of like to see it, but David Jason as Rincewind makes me a bit wary (I liked him as Albert, but... Rincewind...).

I'm a bit spoiled by the idea of him as Albert too. He did a great job at it. :D

HairyHeretic

I like David Jason, but to me he just isn't Rincewind. I think Nigel Planer could have done well in the role though. They cast him as another wizard in Hogfather though, so I guess that ruled him out.

Good Omens I'd like to see on screen, as well as Wee Free Men.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 26, 2011, 06:27:02 PM
I like David Jason, but to me he just isn't Rincewind. I think Nigel Planer could have done well in the role though. They cast him as another wizard in Hogfather though, so I guess that ruled him out.

Good Omens I'd like to see on screen, as well as Wee Free Men.

Oi Crivens!

HairyHeretic

Billy Connolly would have to be recruited to play a Nac Mac Feegle  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

NotCarrot

Heh. The Tiffany Aching stuff would probably do well as a miniseries, I think. The major trick'd be striking a balance with the Nac Mac Feegle effects between real-people-green-screened in, and fake-looking CGI like the Smurfs, who shall remain nameless.

grdell

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 26, 2011, 09:23:50 PM
Billy Connolly would have to be recruited to play a Nac Mac Feegle  ;D

Yes, yes, yes! I can think of no one better!  ;D
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Callie Del Noire

I'm trying.. hard.. to think of another actor.. it's hard.

Remiel

Ewan McGregor as Not-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock Jock?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on March 28, 2011, 01:36:13 PM
Ewan McGregor as Not-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock Jock?

Good one. :D

But who would you pick out for...

Rob Anybody
Duft Wullie
Wee Billy Bigchin...

Callie Del Noire

Random Quote time!

"Woof bloody woof."

-- Gaspode the Wonder Dog