News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Mutants & Masterminds 2e

Started by MasterMischief, April 19, 2015, 06:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

I would love a Mutants & Masterminds game, preferable second edition.  Full on four color, Power Level 10 or even higher.  My heart flutters at the thought of having more than 150 Character Points to spend.  A mystic themed campaign would be lovely.

Muse

I'd love to play in such a game too. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MasterMischief

Yay!  I am not alone.  Two more and we have a right group.

Muse

Groups are easy to get, GMs are the challenge. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Callie Del Noire

I'd like to try it too. :( good luck finding a Gm.. sigh..

Crash

Yeah, finding GM's are the hard part.  Was in a fun Magic-Girl game on RPOL for a long time, but that is the only one that lasted.

Anyone check out AMP: Year One?  It looks like an interesting take on superpowers mutants ala Heroes.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Ironwolf85

I would love to learn this game by the way, I hear about it in conversation snippits all the time.
what can you do with it?
and what is the usual theme?
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Muse

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 12, 2015, 09:36:21 AM
I would love to learn this game by the way, I hear about it in conversation snippits all the time.
what can you do with it?

Iron, Mutants and Masterminds is a GURP.  It's default theme is superhero, but you can use it for pretty much any setting.  Unlike GURPS, it defaults to the comic book level of reality.  You can knock people out without killing them, people recover from injury with some ease.  if you have a power, you can usually use it reliably and repeatedly.  Heroes occasionally pick up a new trick, or get better at a skill or power but they don't change power level very often or very fast. 

It's in it's third edition right now.  The third edition is arguably even better for lower power level concepts like a fantasy or sci fi. 

It's got the d20 system as it's core mechanic.  Where in D&D, characters suffer hit points of damage 'til they're put down, in Mutants and Masterminds damage is one of many kinds of effects you make a saving throw against. 

Ironwolf85

debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Pumpkin Seeds

It certainly can be if a bit complicated for noobs like me.  I have to rely on Muse to make my stuff.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 13, 2015, 07:14:43 AM
It certainly can be if a bit complicated for noobs like me.  I have to rely on Muse to make my stuff.

It is less complicated than Pathfinder and more complicated than say Fate.  For me, it is in a happy medium of crunch without bogging down into accounting.

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 12, 2015, 09:36:21 AM
what can you do with it?

In my biased, but correct opinion, it can handle any kind of cinematic campaign.  By 'cinematic' I mean you can get away with crazy stunts without being weighed down with realistic penalties.  It does not simulate realism well.  It was not designed to.  It is not quite Exalted level, but certainly is not G.U.R.P.S.  I would rate it a little more 'cinematic' than Pathfinder, although with the new Unchained stuff...maybe not.

I ran a Gangbusters style game with it.  I allowed powers, but they had to be cleverly disguised.  For example, the doctor had Healing, but he had to make a skill roll and it took time.  As far as the world was concerned, he was just a good doctor.  The pugilist was immune to unarmed damage.  Again, as far as the world was concerned, he was just really tough.  No one was flying around shooting rays out of their eyes.

I have run several Fantasy games with it.  Magic is easy enough since the system is built with the assumption of Super Powers.  Magic can feel comic book-y since the default version is not really skinned to feel like arcane rituals.  This is easy enough to fix, but does add work.

Psionics are in the core system, so they do not need any extra tweaking.  I have wanted to run a Sci Fi game with it too.

Ironwolf85

sounds good actually, makes me want to run a post-apocalyptic game with it

MasterMischief

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on May 26, 2015, 08:15:19 AM
sounds good actually, makes me want to run a post-apocalyptic game with it

I believe it would work well for a post-apocalyptic game assuming you did not want a lot of realism.  You could do the most recent Mad Max remake quite easily with it.

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd love to see a Hellgate London style game done with it.

eternaldarkness

I could easily be persuaded to run a small M&M game, depending on what people wanted. My GM style does not mesh with everyone though- whatever the skin you put over it, the meat and bones of my stories are always high-powered and over - the - top.

That being said, my preferred types of genres lean more toward Dragonball Z and the Avengers than, say, street-level mystery men, but I can even do that in my preferred style with players willing to buy in to the premise.

Muse

That sonuds pretty awesome to me, Darkness. 

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Muse on June 18, 2015, 12:31:50 AM
  That sonuds pretty awesome to me, Darkness.

I consider a campaign where at least one world, or at least a tri-state area has been blown up to be a smashing success, especially if the PC's did it, and I like proactive players who just do stuff and justify it later. I can work with anything if it's cool enough.

Kolbrandr

I'd be cool with a high scale M&M game, it would be a refreshing change from the lower than even basic starting points one that I find tend to dominate pbp.

Ephiral

eternaldarkness, you sound fairly close to my ideal GM. (I maaaaay be responsible for a hiatus in my last superheroes game, when my solution to "universe-threatening horror lands on Earth" was "Let's throw Ceres at it!".) Colour me interested.

Foxy DeVille

I might be keen too depending on how things pan out.

Pumpkin Seeds

World destruction is always a neat thing..err...to avert..to avert.

MasterMischief

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 17, 2015, 11:07:26 PM
the meat and bones of my stories are always high-powered and over - the - top

Will you have my llama babies?

Hells yeah, I'm in!  I know nothing about Dragonball Z, but let's blow up the Earph!

Pumpkin Seeds

I thought I was having your llama babies!?  :: cries::

eternaldarkness

Well, given the enthusiastic response, let's talk setting and power level. All interested parties give me an idea what kind of setting elements you want, and where we'd like to start power level wise.

My idea was to split it between roleplay/side story scenes and action/mission scenes. At the end of a given thread, power points would get awarded. I would want to give out pretty good amounts of Power Points so we don't have the usual problem of feeling like you're getting nowhere character-wise. We would keep the action in the mission scenes fast and furious and let side scenes go at their own pace. With a max of 5 players to start I could easily juggle some more personal plots.

My setting idea, which is open for suggestions to make it better/more fun:

-Rise of the Old Gods. In this one ancient and very large godlike beings start appearing and fucking shit up in a big way. These are the original rulers of the earth who have been dormant for longer than recorded history, and something - maybe lack of faith, maybe a crazy cult messing with powers man was not meant to mess with, or maybe just because their nap time is up - has awakened these massive inhuman entities of vast primal power.

Naturally, somebody needs to do something about these guys, and that's where you come in. One of the gods does not want the others ruling over the earth, so it summons the descendants of its former high priests and gives them powers and their marching orders: beat that godly ass and save the world, because these other gods are seriously harshing his mellow with their mass destruction.

Now most conflict would be with minions of the other gods - they had their own high priests too, and plenty of people willing to obey beings that are obviously hella powerful.

So, thoughts and suggestions?