Steffy's Magic Shop

Started by Steffy, July 04, 2018, 09:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steffy

(DANGER AL!  DANGER!)

“That braggart Steffy, says ‘Sure, I know Al, Al Terego.  We’re friends.  He’s cool.’ 
I’m not so sure she does.  Definitely trying to show off! 
But I am sure I’ve heard he hangs out at this bar. 
A . N. D. I intend to bump into him. 
I’ve heard he says there are some who don’t want to associate with him.  Modesty indeed! 

Ooh, is that him?!?”

Al Terego

Al Terego

Quote from: Al Terego on November 03, 2018, 04:42:35 PM
The stories are available on Rachel's Haven [...]

Wonderful news!

The first "Tails of Monkey" is now being posted on E!
You can go here, and click "Notify" to get an update when the next part lands.

Steffy

Self-appointed
Book Club President

Well, isn’t this nice?  Who but someone like me (maybe Al) would think of having a book club discussion in a Magic Shop?  Al, it is your turn to bring stunning literature to our attention and all indications are that you did quite wonderfully.  But might I, as an experienced book club moderator . . . and president, prompt you to give us a little more background on the story?  I mean for those of us (not me) who have not yet read the work.

Al Terego

A little bit of context here.

Some history:

Catherine and I play in a group RP on another site.  She is currently the GM, but at the beginning she was just a player.  Due to a careless wish to a Genie, her character was transformed into Monkey -- a 4 foot tall cute and mischievous girl with a monkey tail that sometimes has a mind of its own.  Catherine enjoyed playing Monkey, but she did not really fit in an adult-themed game, so Catherine spun her off into a separate story titled "Tails of Monkey", in which Monkey narrated her (PG-rated) adventures in the first person.

We got to enjoy the story as it was written, chapter after chapter.  Some time after the story ended, another thread was made with a sequel and more zany adventures.  Then I managed to convince Catherine to post the first story (edited and cleaned up) here on E.  It is still being posted in instalments, like it originally was, and is just as much fun.

Steffy

NSDB Steffy
SURE IT'S NOT THE OSCAR, BUT . . .

I have been known to pass out a medallion or two. 

And Al has been known to bring to our attention some writesmanship (I know, not a real word). 

Sooooo I thought I’d mention that there is a fun location for doing some writing. 

It uses the designated day of the year as a prompt which you write on.

It’s fun I’d say.  I snagged a bauble for suggesting what’s really in those pots of gold (March bonus) and for writing 7 stories (7). 

I’d recommend a look at the thread, not of my stories (that’s up to you). 

Pressing on either of the two buttons gets you to the overarching explanation and from there you can find your way around.

March         *****    7 Post Award

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy

Just a teensy question from the schoolmarm.

Probably Courtney knows, but really anyone please advise.

If I follow Courtney’s 'pic-in-a-pic' coding (way up the posts), I get this:

• When one gets to the second pic, there is description atop.  (At least for me). 

• Is this for just me because I have access to the site for downloading or does everyone see it? 

• If everyone, how does one get to just the pic—C’s has just that.

• Thanks!

Al Terego

I only see the picture, no description.
Can you post a screenshot?

Steffy

Grrrr!!!!!

To answer Al’s question, here’s the screenshot that reflects part of what I’m talking about (just more of the above along the whole width).

• The Grrrr!!!! is that when I press on the gift in the thread (here), no problem. •  I checked a PM where it appeared and it had the ‘above’.• Do you think it’s where the item is posted?  Thread v. PM?
Thanks Al!

Al Terego

Looks like a browser add-on to me, or a redirector.

Jaclyn

Quote from: Steffy on March 15, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
  Just a teensy question from the schoolmarm.
Probably Courtney knows, but really anyone please advise.
If I follow Courtney’s ‘pic-in-a-pic’ coding (way up the posts), I get this:

• When one gets to the second pic, there is description atop.  (At least for me). 
• Is this for just me because I have access to the site for downloading or does everyone see it? 
• If everyone, how does one get to just the pic—C’s has just that.
  Guessing the description is browser specific. I don’t get one in Chrome on Windows 10, just the pic on a huge black browser screen. May be a Safari on Mac thing. And yes I have a Mediafire account.

  Reason for dropping by the shop today is I recently had a post where I wanted to quote parts of earlier posts. Back where we came from, we had an indent tag that moved the entire span of the tag right some small distance. Here we don’t have that. So what I usee a table to indent the stuff. Here’s the what it looks like, note the whole thing indents, and then the code. I used two em-spaces to widen the first cell in the table which creates the offset from the left.

    Content to be offset: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

[table][tr][td]  [/td]
[td][b]  Content to be offset[/b]: Lorem …[/td][/tr][/table]

Al Terego

Nice!
Is there anything that can't be done with tables?  :)

Jaclyn

  Yes, a way to absolutely set the width of a column as a percentage of the browser width. In HTML, not in our language. Though could have used the Terego separator for absolute width in the first cell of the table.

Steffy

Teacher who looks like Steffy
Thank you Jaclyn!

In school, we learn from each other. 
The teacher’s role is to facilitate.  Is it not? 

I have a ruler. 
Does that help you Al and Jaclyn?

Jaclyn

Al Terego

Quote from: Steffy on June 07, 2019, 09:49:04 AM
I have a ruler. 
Does that help you Al and Jaclyn?

Thank you Steffy, but I didn't really plan on getting into a measuring contest with Jaclyn.

Al Terego

Greetings, witches and warlocks!

Today's metaphysical topic is colour, or more specifically: a colour.

Yes, I am fully aware that I have already touched upon the subject, but there was one magical colour that I neglected to mention.

No my friends, it is not octarine -- I would never presume to trespass on the late Sir Terry Pratchett's turf so blatantly -- but rather a hue so elusive, that it raises the phylosophical question of whether it is a colour or a lack of one.

I am talking about "transparent".
Soylent Green
is people!!!

But what use is a colour that cannot be seen?
What can you do with it?

It turns out that there are some interesting uses...

You can use it as an "inline spoiler" that appears blank until you select it.

For example:

Q. What is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything?
A. [42]

Go ahead, select that empty space between the brackets...

This is how it's done:

Q. What is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything?
A. [[color=transparent]42[/color]]

Moreover, it can be used to embed secret messages in your posts, concealing them from the prying eyes of the FBI, CIA, NSA, and SMS.
In fact, this very post contains such a message.  Can you find it?

Take care,
-- Al

Steffy

NSDB Steffy

Let’s see.  I can do this! 

M-kay.  To let Al know, but not to be a complete spoiler: Last century a film story unfolds—In the year 2022, 40 million people live in New York City, and there is a shortage of water, food and housing. 

And Al is a Terry Pratchett fan no less!  That’s always a Good Omen(s).

Jaclyn

  So has anyone tried it? What color is “Octarine” and is it cute?

  Guess it’s ignored as a color name. Alas.

Jaclyn

Fun with Character Name Blocks
Notice the difference between these two character name blocks?
The first is as above and used spaces surrounding the overstrike to get about 10 pixels of padding for the whole block.
The second uses a 1 row two column table. The first column contains the same content as the first except the overstrike has no extra spaces to achieve the width needed to keep the text standing off to the right. The second colum uses the Terego separator (https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/4/4d/AlTeregoSeparator.png) sized at 10×10 pixels to make the second column precisely 10 pixels wide.
The net effect is the second is against the left side of the posting area.

Jaclyn Rosendahl
Entrepreneur
About Jaclyn
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Notice the difference between these two character name blocks?
The first is as above and used spaces surrounding the overstrike to get about 10 pixels of padding for the whole block.
The second uses a 1 row two column table. The first column contains the same content as the first except the overstrike has no extra spaces to achieve the width needed to keep the text standing off to the right. The second colum uses the Terego separator (https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/4/4d/AlTeregoSeparator.png) sized at 10×10 pixels to make the second column precisely 10 pixels wide.
The net effect is the second is against the left side of the posting area.

Steffy

Steffy
_____

Forlorn - Pondering
STORING PICS
bye-bye free PHOTOBUCKET AND TINYPIC

I’m a simple girl.  I like to find pics, download them and use them. 

I like free.  Indeed at the Magic Shop, one can find great ways to use pics.  BUT as happens, things change.
(Giggle.  No, there will be no charges at the Shop.  DO NOT WORRY!)

Such changes include a change in Tumblr policies. 

Recently, Photobucket started charging and TinyPic is going out of operation in some fashion in 2019 per their announcement.

I’ve retrieved some pics from TinyPic. 
I’ve told some about this last development with TinyPic. 
They’ve suggested alternatives: mediafire.com, tumblr.com, Elluiki (here)—Thank you, Jaclyn and Courtney. 

There’s the issue of censorship on some sites to consider, depending on what you want to save. 

I also have found bdsmlr.com which could lend itself to storing pics (I understand many Tumblr-ites(?) to have moved their activities there.

Anyways, this is a public service announcement which as always would really, really like suggestions from others about dealing with this or, really, anything else.

Jaclyn

  Tumblr still carries some NSFW images, though significantly less than it used to.

  Here’s a link to one of the sites Steffy mentioned. https://bdsmlr.com/. Far right is a pic from there. It feels a lot like Tumblr.

  There’s also https://humblr.social/. I didn’t like the navigation so wouldn’t suggest it for NSFW pics.

  And finally Discord. https://discordapp.com/. Elliquiy has nsfw-images and nsfw-images-extreme forums if you wish to use other’s work or share with a group of like-minded pervers. Second from right is an image I shared via Discord in a Direct Message (DM) to a friend there.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
  Discord has a use I hadn’t considered before. I’m using it via DM to write three stories elsewhere here at Elliquiy and another in Google Docs. Works nicely for that, as good as the old Yahoo and other IM stuff I used when I furst started back in 2009.

Suzie Shalmirane

Just curious, I navigated to bdsmir.com and my screen turned red with dire warnings of danger ahead. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Suzie Shalmirane

As always, the truth will be revealed! I had typed bdsmir. When I used the proper name, there wasn't a problem. Thanks for your help.

Jaclyn

  Hmmm, I got none of that  and I like to think I’m very well protected. I use Brave Browser for privacy reason, on Windows 10. A couple of questions.

0) You say bdsmir.com, not bdsmlr.com. Which did you try again?

1) What was the message?

2) What browser are you using, running on what kind of machine?

3) Do you have any Parental Control software running?

40 Can you get a screenshot and share it here or via a PM?