News:

Main Menu

Food Network

Started by King_Furby, April 08, 2008, 04:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

To those of you that get Food Network (american tv) i was wondering what you think of the channel and what are your favorite shows.

I am not a chef, i don't cook but i do like the channel. I think it's well designed, i think the stars are all good people and they got interesting personalities. I never really thought food would be interesting to learn about, but lately i am watching the channel more and more.

My Top Favorite Shows
Throwdown w/Bobby Flay
Guy's Big Bite
Iron Chef America
Good Eats
Dinners, Drive In's, and Dives
Unwrapped

I really get into those shows, i think throwdown is the best show on food network. Bobby Flay has such a great tv personality, he keeps things interesting, is a great sport, really knows how to cook. I like seeing the peoples faces light up when Bobby flay shows up and issues a throwdown.

Bliss

I ADORED Good Eats; Anton Brown is dleightfully fun, wry, and knowledgeable - Gotta love a guy who can get me excited about food science.

Unwrapped is fun, it's neat learning about the history of candies long-forgotten, or even regionalized.

Throwdown with Bobby Flay is a good time; it's great to see a celebrity chef with a go get'em attitude AND humility.

Iron Chef has to catch me in the right mood; others I don't much care for.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

WyldRanger

Good eats is a wonderful show...love Alton Brown, but I don't get to see it that often  :(

King_Furby

my brother cant stand paula deen. I think her show is just okay, but country cooking just isn't something i like all that much.

I like ace of cakes too. They really make some wonderful stuff, and the cake decorators all got personality and i love to see their comments.

I don't like jamie at home or barefoot contessa, those shows i just simply do not like.

Apple of Eris

Well, after seeing this I made the mistake of mentioning Food Network to my bf who is a chef. I had to sit through a ten minute tirade about how horrible most of the 'chefs' on the network are. Then he made me watch a youtube clip of anthony bordain ranting about the Food Network.

Like the only person on food network he liked was Alton Brown because that's food science. All the rest he loathes, especially bobby flay. Since he is currently on the sofa while I saw this and mentioned it he insists I add his commentary.

Basically, Bobby Flay is a flake. According to the bf everything Flay does boils down to "corn breading and and a little spice". He also hates most of the food network shows. He says nine dishes out of ten are terrible food meant for people with terrible taste. And that those food show contests (I don't think those are food network shows anyway- is top chef even on FN?) are pathetic. Basically he says if you want to see good chefs on TV watch Gordon Ramsay and Anthony Bourdain (Like I said he likes Alton too, but for the science, not because he's a good chef). Oh and he just apologized for being a food snob and making me write this.

*rolls eyes*
Now if I could get him to shut up and feed me :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Kazae

I would change teams for Alton Brown.

He is now one of two people I would do so for.

That said, I FUCKING LOATHE BOBBY 'SOUTHWESTERN CUISINE' FLAY.

He can die in a fire, while eating a bowl of dicks.

I used to almost...ALMOST...dislike Chef Sakai from the original Iron Chef that much.   But Bobby Flay is a complete and utter TOOL.

And while I'm spewing hate, DIE RACHEL RAY DIE.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
..........................'...../
..........''............. _.·´
..........................(
Yes, I'm probably over-thinking.  Yes, I'm going to continue over-thinking.
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

Bliss

Quote from: Apple of Eris on April 09, 2008, 11:16:34 PM
Basically he says if you want to see good chefs on TV watch Gordon Ramsay and Anthony Bourdain

Tell me tell me TELL me that he has seen Kitchen Confidential? :D
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kazyth

I love love love Anthony Bourdain.  He drinks, he smokes, he swears, he makes fun of people, and the man knows his food.  How can you not love him?

On that note, I would also totally switch teams for Alton Brown, as long as I had a signed and notarized something from him stating that it happened.  ;D
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

King_Furby

I like most of the food network stars.

One person i simply cannot stand is anthony bordain. For one his show was on the travel channel, food network just is rerunning it which i think is stupid. He isn't even as brave as people think he is. Andrew Zimmer from the travel channel show "wierd foods" i think is way more brave. That dude eats anything, mr bordain wouldn't eat half that stuff. Even on bordains show, he didn't eat anything that exotic. I think bordain has the worst tv voice possiable, to me he comes across as fake. He acts all friendly on the show to people but he is a total jerk. Knows his food? I have seen no evidence on his show that he knows anything about food other then eating it.

Well we may disagree with things as evidence of these posts, at least most of us agree we like alton Brown.

I don't think it's possiable for people to hate Alton Brown. =)

Apple of Eris

Doesn't know food? You do realize Bourdain is a three star rated chef right? That's pretty good, plus he works in a real kitchen. Having worked in restaurants while in college (and occasionally helping at my bf's restaurant), that's a lot hader than standing in front of a tv showing off food other people made.

And how can you say that about his travel show? First off his show is about travel with a culinary bent, not about weird food, that said, Bourdain eats stranger stuff than that other guy. Weird Foods or whatever is such a lame show!

But I like Rachel Ray and some of the other FN chefs. Probably since I can't cook, I watch Rachel Ray and I'm like, "Hey, I can do that!"
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Kazae

My dislike of Rachel Ray comes of loathing her speaking, her 'turns of phrase', her demeanor, and just about every so-called-recipe she puts forth that comes out of a box or some such.

It is a massive personal pet peeve. 

That, and the way that so many people get a boner over her after being in one of those 'I wanna be Playboy-lite' mags...Maxim, Stuff, one of those garbage-rags.  She's just...UGH.

I may not be an underwear model, but yes, in fact, I would kick her out of my bed. 

There, I said it.
...................__
There are enough people out there running on autopilot;someone has to make up for those lost synaptic cycles, and it may as well be me.

Push Button...

King_Furby

If i hear Rachel Ray say "EVOO" one more time i am going to barf. What is wierd is she never used to say it that often.

Apple of Eris

"comes out of a box"

That's why I like her. I'm a terrible cook, just ask my wife or bf! I bought pancake mix once and tried to make pancakes and totally screwed that up. I had to have the boy show me how before i could make them. So.. at least I can make pancakes now! But really, RR is like easy food for incompetent people like myself! ;)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Kazae

Quote from: King_Furby on April 11, 2008, 03:42:52 PM
If i hear Rachel Ray say "EVOO" one more time i am going to barf. What is wierd is she never used to say it that often.

Hearing her say evoo makes me want to kick her in the vagoo.

And that is VERY unlike me.

Quote from: Apple of Eris on April 11, 2008, 03:47:52 PM
"comes out of a box"

That's why I like her. I'm a terrible cook, just ask my wife or bf! I bought pancake mix once and tried to make pancakes and totally screwed that up. I had to have the boy show me how before i could make them. So.. at least I can make pancakes now! But really, RR is like easy food for incompetent people like myself! ;)

SILENCE!  You are not allowed to be incompetent!

You must now be the best in the universe at EVERYTHING.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

I kid, of course, but I think it's highly likely you not only sell yourself short on the culinary front, but possibly have problems stemming from mishap or misinterpretation, and deserve better than to have that simpering bint being stupid at you.  Alton Brown is not only more informative, he doesn't talk to you like you need a drool-cup!
...................__

Push Button...

Apple of Eris

Well KAz, I am pretty horrible in the kitchen, I've ruined a pot and pan in the last couple months. Plus, I usually have no time or desite to cook! So if I can't get my boy to bring me food from his restaurant (or cook for me), or offer the roomie money for her to make extra food, I'm stuck trying to cook for myself. And I hate it, so I want something fast and easy and RR is better than those meals in a can you see in grocery stores. :)

Plus she's goofy and funny. I like that! ;)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Kazae

Quote from: Apple of Eris on April 11, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
Well KAz, I am pretty horrible in the kitchen, I've ruined a pot and pan in the last couple months. Plus, I usually have no time or desite to cook! So if I can't get my boy to bring me food from his restaurant (or cook for me), or offer the roomie money for her to make extra food, I'm stuck trying to cook for myself. And I hate it, so I want something fast and easy and RR is better than those meals in a can you see in grocery stores. :)

Plus she's goofy and funny. I like that! ;)

Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I don't find RR goofy and funny; I find her irritating and annoying.  But at the same time, I like Alton Brown because, to me he IS goofy and funny and neurotic and doesn't take himself overly seriously...

And to contrast, I also like Giada De Laurentiis, five-head and all. 

Then again, I also have a shrine to Julia Child hidden in my residence, so I'm not exactly the sanest judge of taste. :D

If you like indian food, I would recommend an absolutely FAILURE-PROOF book called 5 spices, 50 dishes; it helped improve my already good indian cuisine to the level of people begging me to share my lunch with them at work...and once being commisioned to make something.  ;D
...................__

Push Button...