Brinkwood: Blood of Tyrants (recruiting)

Started by ShadowFox89, November 08, 2021, 11:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Do you like hunting vampires? Do you hate the greedy, rich aristocracy? Do you like games like castlevania? Then this may be the setting for you. Brinkwood is a dark tale of fighting against monsters in the world and trying to take your lands back without losing your own humanity along the way.

To quote the basic premise from the introduction of the book

QuoteThe world is not as it should be. The rich feed—literally—upon the poor, as blood-sucking
vampires who barely bother to conceal their horrific, parasitic nature. The downtrodden
people of the world struggle under the burdens of rent, payable through the sweat of their
toil or the blood of their veins. Evil has triumphed. Many have given in to despair. But all
is not lost.
In Brinkwood, you take on the role of brigands: renegades, thieves, and rebels struggling
for freedom and liberation in a castylpunk world controlled by vampires. Radicalized by
tragedy, you have taken up arms and fled into the forests, where you were taken in by
unlikely allies—the fae, forgotten creatures of myth —who offered a different path and the
means to fight back against your oppressors.
Masks, forged of old wood and older magic, are the final tool left to fight a war long ago
lost. If you wear them, they will take their price, etching themselves upon your very soul.
But they will also let you spill the blood of the rich and powerful vampires that now rule
the land, and from that blood you strengthen yourself and your movement.
Drink the rich, before they drink you. 

This isn't a recruitment thread just yet, I'd like to gage interest in the idea first. The system used is Forged in the Dark, which has quickly become my favorite rules lite system.

Now recruiting!

Character Creation: Basics of what goes into the book. No underage characters, obviously, and please don't make someone that isn't gonna play well with others. Edgy loner is fine as long as they don't sit and sulk away from the team.

Character Sheet:

[spoiler][u][b]Name[/b][/u]:
[u][b]Alias[/b][/u]:
[u][b]Pronouns[/b][/u]:
[u][b]Pact[/b][/u]: (VENGEANCE, JUSTICE, SOLIDARITY, FREEDOM, WISDOM, INDUSTRY, BEAUTY)

[u][b]Physical Description[/b][/u]:

[u][b]Background[/b][/u]: Don't make it too long, please, I only need 3-4 paragraphs at most.

[u][b]Folk[/b][/u]: Saltfolk, Sylfolk, Fairfolk, Dvarfolk, Deepfolk, Beastfolk, Scalefolk
[u][b]Upbringing[/b][/u]: Foundling, Peasant, Scion, Cogscamper, Apprentice, Student, Faithful
[u][b]Profession[/b][/u]: Poacher, Cutpurse, Friar, Bard, Deserter, Healer, Ascetic, Sailor, Wastrel, Alchemist
[u][b]Class[/b][/u]: Commander, Herald, Ranger, Rogue, Messenger, Mage, Warrior, Saboteur
[b][u]Tragedy[/u][/b]: Your motivation, reason for joining the rebellion and swearing bloody vengeance upon the Vampires.

[u][b]Stress[/b][/u]: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

[spoiler=Attributes]

[u][b]Insight[/b][/u]
[b]Hunt[/b]: [ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Study[/b]: [ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Survey[/b]: [ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Tinker[/b]: [ ] [ ] [ ]

[u][b]Prowess[/b][/u]
[b]Finesse [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Prowl [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Skirmish [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Wreck [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]

[u][b]RESOLVE[/b][/u]
[b]Attune [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Command [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Consort [/b][ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Sway [/b][ ] [ ] [ ][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Equipment 3 Light 5 Normal 7 Heavy]
Blades and Melee
[1] Blade or Two [2] Longsword [3] Spear [1] Blackjack

Firearms
[1] Pistol [1] Second Pistol [2] Rifle

Bows
[3] Crossbow [3] Longbow [3] Shortbow [3] Hunting Bow

Shields
[1] Buckler  [2] Round Shield [3] Knightly Shield

Armor
[2] Leather Armor [3] Chainmail [3] Plated Jacket

Tools
[1] Lantern [1] Censer [1] Manna Wood [1] Burglary Kit [2] Tinkering Tools [2] Demolition Tools [1] Subterfuge Supplies [1] Climbing Gear

Contraband
[1] Ashwood [1] Black Powder
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=EXPERIENCE]Mark 1 XP each if
you brought into play...
your background or
personal history.

tragedy, triumph, or scars.

relationship to your fellow
brigands, the rebellion, the
masks or the Fae.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Position]◆ Desperate: You’re in
serious trouble...
◆ Risky: Most actions.
◆ Controlled: You have an
advantage or a safety net[/spoiler]
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Steir

Hexed

Is forged in the dark the same as blades in the dark?

Ixy

I love the sound of this premise, and would like to hear more about content and player expectations. 

himawari

Interested and would be the greedy, rich aristocratic vampire XD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

Steir

I think players are assigned to be part of the rebellion, and judging from what I was able to read from the book we are supposed to put down the vampires in varying styles.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: himawari on November 09, 2021, 08:33:21 AM
Interested and would be the greedy, rich aristocratic vampire XD

That's not what this is about, unfortunately, this is about fighting the rich, greedy, aristocratic vampires. You're a revolutionary fighting for the people (or maybe your own selfish reasons like revenge). Think any of the early 20th century revolutions but with vampires and fae.

Quote from: Hexed on November 09, 2021, 07:21:31 AM
Is forged in the dark the same as blades in the dark?

Same game system, slightly modified. There are a few variants floating around now and I've been itching for one for a while ever since a friend got me into Scum and Villainy.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Avalon29

pdragon

So about the setting for the game, what's the general time period/region/aesthetic the game is going for? I looked up "castylpunk" and literally only got this game as a result. 
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Hexed

From what I've seen on the book/site it's sorta steampunk with castles n fantasy stuff. About a paragraph description is all I found at home

ShadowFox89

Pretty much what Hexed said, it's got some elements of steampunk with a tech level around Victorian Era for the most part but a socio-efonomic situation more like early Renaissance Europe. Guns are prevalent (and banned by the vampire lords) but bow and arrows are also around.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

pdragon

How prevalent is magic? Would characters have access to it or is it only vampire enemies?

Request Thread

ShadowFox89

You gain magic in the form of Masks to be able to fight the vampires. If you've played other forged in the dark systems, the masks are your classes that give you abilities, actions, and xp triggers.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wolfling72

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

ShadowFox89

I think that's enough people to call this a successful interest check. I'll update the first post with character generation info and session 0 type stuff.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Sorry for the delay, the first post has been updated with a character sheet. We'll give it, say, two weeks since there's a holiday next week before the deadline is made.

Since Masks are shared between players, when we finish and a character sheet thread is up, I'll put a post up with all the Masks together in their own sheet that I'll edit when a change is made.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Steir

Work in Progress that will be filled out further.

For Foundling upbringing which one would you prefer?

Nightshade
Name: Maple
Alias: Nightshade
Pronouns: She, Her
Pact: VENGEANCE

Physical Description:

Maple stands at 5'6" in height and sports long, brown hair that reaches down to her waist. She usually ties her hair up in a bun or a high ponytail to keep it from getting in the way. While her figure is relatively trim, her curves are at the right places. She keeps fit by constantly practicing her skills. Her choice of attire is usually a plain fitted shirt and pants of dark colors, leather gloves and thigh-length boots. She sometimes uses a cloak with a hood when circumstances demanded it.

Background:

Ever since she was small the only thing Maple remembered was growing up in the midst of the wilderness, watched over by the Fae that was as mysterious as the woods itself. She learned how to get around the woods, making good use of what it had to offer and help care for it in exchange. When Maple grew older, it was when she dared to visit out of the woods and see the villages. She met people who were oppressed and learned of their plight from her parent - vampires took everything they wanted from these people and left them downtrodden.

A young woman in that village caught her attention - she was a nice maiden who helped others. The only daughter watching after his ailing parents and ensuring their rent was paid for. She was welcoming and they met in secret, Maple learning about what the world was like from her - Kataline, while Maple shared tales about the woods with her. Maple couldn't stand seeing Kataline, her parents, and the village being oppressed - so she did what she could to help her friend.

Maple stole from the vampires. In the outskirts it was very easy to sneak around past the lightly guarded bases. It allowed her to steal some meager provisions that could at least help ease the hardships her friend had to bear. Things went well - eventually she was able to recover more to help the village get by the winter. Seeing Kataline happy made her heart swell with happiness as Maple went back to the woods to attend to some matters.

Her return at spring was anything but pleasant - the village was burnt to the ground and inhabitants slain where they stood. Maple found Kataline's body in the fields, burnt together with what remained of plants tended there. She wept and she cried for her friend before burying her remains and taking what was left of her friend's ribbon. Maple sought out her parent, wiping the tears in her eyes before asking what she could do to avenge her friend.

Folk: Saltfolk
Upbringing: Foundling, Fae-loved
Profession: Cutpurse
Class: Rogue
Tragedy: Seek out the vampires responsible for the death of her friend Kataline and make them pay.

Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Associates

Ather, a beast you met in the forest
Ionea, a reliable fence

Traits

Fae-loved: Raised by the fae, they take a special interest in you. They may offer you things, provide guidance, and generally dote upon you.
Thief: Gain +Effect when climbing or breaking into a location.
Pickpocket: Gain +Effect when picking someone's pocket or picking a lock.

Attributes

Insight
Hunt: [-] [ ] [ ]
Study: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Survey: [-] [ ] [ ]
Tinker: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Prowess
Finesse [-] [ ] [ ]
Prowl [-] [-] [-]
Skirmish [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wreck [ ] [ ] [ ]

RESOLVE
Attune [ ] [ ] [ ]
Command [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consort [ ] [ ] [ ]
Sway [-] [ ] [ ]

Equipment 3 Light 5 Normal 7 Heavy

Blades and Melee

Firearms

Bows

Shields

Armor

Tools
[1] Lantern [1] Censer [1] Manna Wood [1] Burglary Kit [2] Tinkering Tools [2] Demolition Tools [1] Subterfuge Supplies [1] Climbing Gear

Contraband

EXPERIENCE
Mark 1 XP each if
you brought into play...
your background or
personal history.

masks or the Fae.

Position
◆ Desperate: You’re in
serious trouble...
advantage or a safety net

ShadowFox89

I have no preference on the upbringing, That's entirely on how you want to make your character.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Wolfling72

Syn
Name: Trieste
Alias: Syn
Pronouns: They/Them
Pact: Freedom

Physical Description: At a slim 5'8" and with a dark oaken hue to their flesh, Syn has short green hair, wide black eyes, and freckles upon the bridge of their nose. They dress in fitted clothing so that nothing is left loose to grab or get caught, in various hues of brown, orange, rust, and green.

Background: Don't make it too long, please, I only need 3-4 paragraphs at most.

Folk: Sylfolk
Upbringing: Apprentice
Profession: Healer
Class: Ranger
Tragedy: Your motivation, reason for joining the rebellion and swearing bloody vengeance upon the Vampires.

Attributes

Insight
Hunt: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Survey: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Prowess
Finesse [ ] [ ] [ ]
Prowl [ ] [ ] [ ]
Skirmish [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wreck [ ] [ ] [ ]

RESOLVE
Attune [ ] [ ] [ ]
Command [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consort [ ] [ ] [ ]
Sway [ ] [ ] [ ]

Blades and Melee

Firearms

Bows

Shields

Armor

Tools

Contraband

EXPERIENCE
Mark 1 XP each if
you brought into play...
your background or
personal history.

masks or the Fae.

Position
serious trouble...

Saving this here for when I get a chance to do some more investigation
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Steir

I only have the background and tragedy left to fill out. Went with Fae-loved for Foundling.

Avalon29

Quote from: Steir on November 18, 2021, 02:32:21 AM
I only have the background and tragedy left to fill out. Went with Fae-loved for Foundling.

Don't forget your 3 free assign attribute points Steir.

You get 4 from your profession and class then another 3 to assign for a total of 7 dots.

Working on my own character. Torn between a soldier turned priest, lots of rabble rousing, mob building, and louder stuff or a magically inclined saboteur.

Steir

Quote from: Avalon29 on November 18, 2021, 03:02:26 AM
Don't forget your 3 free assign attribute points Steir.

You get 4 from your profession and class then another 3 to assign for a total of 7 dots.

Working on my own character. Torn between a soldier turned priest, lots of rabble rousing, mob building, and louder stuff or a magically inclined saboteur.

Thanks for pointing that out Avalon. Turns out I only assigned 4 dots based on profession and class. So I completely forgot about the three free dots.

Edit: finished up what needed filling up.

pdragon

I think I have this all sorted properly.

Serana

Name: Serana vi Marrion
Alias: Red Mary
Pronouns: She/Her
Pact: VENGEANCE

Physical Description: 5'5 115lbs. At just 20 years old Serana is a model of youthful vigor. Even after leaving her old life behind her peachy skin and raven hair still show the luster of years of pampered grooming. She bares the soft curves of one raised on good food, yet the fit figure afforded by her family's personal trainers. All in all her's is a body chiseled by privilege, along with painted beauty that she still maintains even after her fall, as if it were a point of personal pride and dignity.

Background: Serana was born into the Marrion family, an upstart noble family that had only recently pulled itself up from the middle class. While relatively small-time, her family was plenty rich enough to afford Serana and her siblings all the fineries in life. She wanted for nothing growing up, and due to being the fourth of six children, firmly obscured in the middle, she was given more freedom to explore her interests than her responsibility-burdened older siblings. These interests turned out to be partying, gambling, and hunting, often mixing the three together. Serana turning out to be surprisingly passionate and skilled at hunting, and especially loved poaching prohibited beasts as a way of showing off her daring and privilege (naturally believing herself immune to the consequences of such things).

However just because the family were dipping their toes into the noble sphere, that didn't mean the vampires saw them as one of them. Their attempt to rise through the ranks was to them a fun amusement, but in truth they may as well haven been cattle playing dress up for all the difference it made. This was made soberingly clear one day when Serana's mother, Maria vi Marrion, caught the eye of a vampiric noble her father had been conducting business with. The vampire didn't even bother with plot or conspiracy, such was the gap in their influence and power, and Serana's father was forced to stand there and smile as his wife was whisked away back to the nobleman's mansion. They never found out for certain what he had done to her in that time, but it wasn't hard to surmise from his lustful stares, and two weeks later her mother's body was returned to them, drained to the last drop and discarded without a care.

Serana was stricken near mad with grief and anger, however what truly made her snap was her family's inaction. Not only did they not try to avenge her, they grew even more complacent in their dealings, seemingly content to fall in line and continue groveling for prestige, as if her mother's life had simply been the cost of doing business. Their sniveling complacency disgusted her, leading her to disown the lot of them and flee to join the rebellion, heart burning with a desire for revenge.

Upbringing: Scion
Profession: Wastrel
Class: Rogue
Tragedy: The enslavement and murder of her mother

Attributes

Insight
Hunt: [ x ] [ x  ] [ ]
Survey: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Prowess
Finesse [ x ] [ x ] [ ]
Prowl [ x ] [ x ] [ ]
Skirmish [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wreck [ ] [ ] [ ]

RESOLVE
Attune [ ] [ ] [ ]
Command [ ] [ ] [ ]
Consort [ x ] [ ] [ ]
Sway [ ] [ ] [ ]

Blades and Melee

Firearms

Bows

Shields

Armor

Tools

Contraband

EXPERIENCE
Mark 1 XP each if
you brought into play...
your background or
personal history.

masks or the Fae.

Position
serious trouble...

Request Thread

Avalon29

Here we go, still a bit in progress but going well

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Yseult
Alias: Abbot
Pronouns: He/Him
Pact: SOLIDARITY

Physical Description:

Background: Yseult at a young age was identified as someone blessed with the sight and taken in to study the old faith. While there he studied the scriptures old and new, learning what he could of what things were like in the before times. Friar Gallin who helped raised him taught him everything he would need to know and what was able to be shared in public and what was not, avoid attention, everything one needed to know. He was happy with his life there and although he had heard rumors of what went on outside the Abbey he did not often get a chance to see outside of it. Inevitably though things changed.

The vampires came demanding tribute but the Abbey had none to give at he time. In order to avoid trouble he volunteered himself as payment and was taken to fight at the borderlands. He saw things there, things he could have never dreamed of before his time there. He got a taste of what the outside world was like and when his time on the borderlands returned he returned to the abbey hoping to lose himself in the scriptures once more.

On his return he greeted Friar Gallin, older now, with a smile and tried to return to how life was before. But things were different now. He could not ignore the cries of those at the nearby villages. He now knew what was happening. News of what was going on was passed to him by the fiery minister Yanna who he made friends with. He started speaking with the people, encouraging change, spreading the old faith over the lies that the vampires spread. Eventually just words weren’t enough and he soon found himself in the forest of the fae, looking for anything more he could do to change things, even if that meant putting his former skills to se.

Upbringing
: Faithful
Profession: Friar
Class: Warrior
Tragedy: Time fighting on the borderlands turned to time in a monastery to escape the violence. But one thing that she could not escape was the sounds of suffering from the communities they were supposed to be help.

Associates

Friar Gallin: A kindly monk who helped raise you
Yanna: a wandering minister

Traits

True Sight Heart: You may see the hearts of folk

Preacher: Gain +Effect to Resolve actions when interacting with the faithful.

Attributes

Insight
Survey: [-] [ ] [ ]

Prowess
Finesse [ ] [ ] [ ]
Prowl [ ] [ ] [ ]
Skirmish [-] [-] [ ]
Wreck [-] [ ] [ ]

RESOLVE
Attune [ ] [ ] [ ]
Command [- ] [ ] [ ]
Consort [-] [ ] [ ]
Sway [ -] [ ] [ ]

Blades and Melee

Firearms

Bows

Shields

Armor

Tools

Contraband

EXPERIENCE
Mark 1 XP each if
you brought into play...
your background or
personal history.

masks or the Fae.

Position
serious trouble...

Hexed

Huzzah for WIP.

So query. This a good pic?

Leah

Name:Leah
Alias: Tick Tock
Pronouns:Her/She
Pact: INDUSTRY

Physical Description: Leah stands around five foot in height with a slim build  and pale skin. Vibrant blue hair hangs wildly about her face while the back is braided into an almost ankle length cord that swishes with her movements. Large azure eyes peer from beneath her bangs and a heavy dusting of freckles runs across her nose and cheeks. Tattoos of gears and steam crawl up her right side starting at mid thigh, running across her toned stomach, curling around the side of her pert bust, and flowing down her shoulder to spill along her arm. Her garments are worn with numerous belts keeping the material cinched tight against her.

Background: The churning, hissing, and clanking of factories are all Leah's ever known. Taken at an early age to pay her parents debts she spent the early years of her life crawling among the machinery of Keth Lamar's factory keeping things in working order. It was here that she made a friend in a young Cogscamp named Fillin and here that she watched from above as his arm was caught in the gears and shredded.

Time passed and she grew up somewhat, her small size letting her scamper for a few years more then most. But eventually she couldn't fit and was sent on her way with barely anything to her name but the clothes on her back and a dram of blood sterling.  She used her learning from being in the guts of the machines to draw a living on the edge of town as a you call and I come mechanic and chemist. It was on one of these fixing trips that she bumped into an old woman by the name of Agata. After a few months of helping the lady off and on Agata sat her down and entrusted her with a few secrets that sent her knowledge in unexpected paths.

Whispers eventually drew her back to Lamar's factory, stories of Keith cutting every corner he could to milk the funds for something filling her ears. She arrived at the factory just in time for something to rupture and a series of explosions shattered the building. Darting past the crowd of gawkers she tried rescuing all that she could, a few burns and scrapes the only thing she dragged out of the crumbling building. Her assault on Keith as he cried about his profits set the guards on her and sent her fleeing the city and into the depths of the woods. There she calmed herself and swore to show them up, to create better and safer machines to bring the corrupt fools to their knees.

Folk: Deepfolk
Upbringing: Cogscamper
Profession: Alchemist
Class: Saboteur
Tragedy: The owner of the factory she was raised in cut corners trying to amass enough blood silver to become a vampire. This predictably led to catastrophic failure that left her as the only survivor swearing to end blood silver in its entirety.

Traits

Cogscamper:Scampsense:You don't survive the factories without being very lucky or very observant. You will always have a chance to avoid a trap, machine, or other environmental danger.
Alchemist:Resourceful: You may take 2 extra loads worth of items on every foray.

Associates:

Cogscamper: Fillin, an unlucky cogscamper who lost a limb.
Alchemist: Agata, a witch in hiding

Attributes

Insight
Survey: [ x ] [ ] [ ]
Tinker: [ x ] [ x ] [ ]

Prowess
Finesse [ x  ] [ ] [ ]
Prowl [ x ] [ ] [ ]
Skirmish [ ] [ ] [ ]
Wreck [ x ] [ x ] [ ]