Alternatives to Windows for viewing images on PC.

Started by Nachtmahr, December 19, 2017, 02:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachtmahr

I would really love to never use the built-in gallery feature for Windows 10, but before my upgrade I had never used anything other than the old Windows Photo Viewer (As I believe it was called?) and I know find myself without anything to use when viewing pictures. Does anyone have an freeware preferences when it comes to gallery or image viewing software?

Thank you in advance.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

SithLordOfSnark

Just out of curiosity, why do you like the built-in gallery viewer?
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Nachtmahr

I used to like the old Windows photo viewer thing on Win7, but the one in Win10 is just ugly in my opinion. Completely without soul or charm. Like many new "modern" designs, it comes across as clinical and uncomfortable.

I've heard rumors that it essentially sends snapshots of what you're viewing to Windows HQ, along with all the other stuff they want to keep a record of, but I frankly don't know if that's true. While privacy is a concern of mine, I don't particularly care if someone finds out about the staggering amount of adult art I've accumulated over the years.

I'd really just like something that's a bit different.

Oniya

Are there any other features that you would like to have?  (Simple editing like cropping/rescaling, effects, etc.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nachtmahr

Some editing features would be neat, but they're not a must-have. What I'm mostly looking for is a program that will allow me to continuously browse images in a folder. So far, I've only managed to find a few programs that allowed me to view one picture at a time, and then there's IrfanView which seems less than ideal as well.

Ket

ACDSee Organizer, viewer, and editor all in one. The free version is pretty darn good.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Ket on December 19, 2017, 03:56:08 PM
ACDSee Organizer, viewer, and editor all in one. The free version is pretty darn good.

Does it simply go to a free version after the trial expires, or is it possible to download a free version directly? And which program is it exactly that I'm looking for? >.< Their site is absolutely flooded with buttons and information, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding out exactly which program it is that you're recommending.

Ket

As far as I remember it reverts back to a limited access program after the trial, but one that still allows the organizing capabilities. I haven't used it in awhile, back before they had three different program options.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

midnightblack

As far as Windows systems are concerned, I've been using Irfanview for the last 15 years or so. It's a completely free viewer with (as far as I understand, though I never use them) some solid photo editing features. Not sure if it can help you out in the gallery department.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)