News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

BB code hates Imageshack?

Started by Remiel, December 28, 2009, 02:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Ever since I terminated my old file server account, I've been forced to rely on Imageshack for my image uploading needs, since my ISP is being a little bitch about webspace.   Unfortunately, when I try to link to the hosted image in my profile signature (through Forum Profile, Modify Profile) it just doesn't seem to take.    Linking to other domains seems to be no problem.  The image is 197x69 px, well within the size constraints, and I've tried both .png and .jpg; it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Eventually I was able to circumvent the issue by uploading the image to the wiki and linking to it there, but I'd really rather not make this a habit.

Does the forum code blacklist free image server sites like Imageshack and Photobucket?

Skye

Hi Remiel. -waves- I'm not sure if it's just an imageshake issue; the site regulates signature images. (Dunno if I worded that right?) They want it linked from your pc to the wiki. After you've uploaded the image from your computer into Elluiwiki, it can be deleted from your pc to free up space.
some helpful info
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Haibane

I think Reign is right... my understanding is that all images used in avatars and signatures must be on the Elliquiy server and not held externally. I believe  - though I am not certain - that there were issues earlier in the year with forum slow downs caused by linked external images loading very slowly.

Oniya

Quote from: Haibane on December 28, 2009, 07:42:32 AM
I believe  - though I am not certain - that there were issues earlier in the year with forum slow downs caused by linked external images loading very slowly.

That's correct.  Specifically, it was issues with dragcave being down and holding up the launch of the SB code while the signature images were failing to load.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Remiel

Quote from: Haibane on December 28, 2009, 07:42:32 AM
I think Reign is right... my understanding is that all images used in avatars and signatures must be on the Elliquiy server and not held externally. I believe  - though I am not certain - that there were issues earlier in the year with forum slow downs caused by linked external images loading very slowly.

Well, the forum seems to have no problem with avatar images being linked to a non-wiki source; it's just images in the signature that it seems to have a problem with.  (EDIT: Never mind. It appears that I'm wrong.)

But thanks, everybody.

Caeli

Avatar images can be linked from anywhere, I believe, since Elliquiy's server actually saves them into its own domain.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

Ah, Caeli, thanks. I didn't know that. But the end result is the same isn't it since Elliquiy stores them on its own server?

Caeli

Quote from: Haibane on December 29, 2009, 07:49:11 PM
Ah, Caeli, thanks. I didn't know that. But the end result is the same isn't it since Elliquiy stores them on its own server?
Yes. The difference is that the signatures doesn't do this, which is why you're required to upload them to the Elluiki.

I'm pretty sure that's what happens, but I could be wrong, since it's been a while since I last asked Veks about how these work. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on December 28, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
That's correct.  Specifically, it was issues with dragcave being down and holding up the launch of the SB code while the signature images were failing to load.

The year before that, it was Nanowrimo's widget.

A lot of stuff on Elliquiy requires trailing javascript to run - including the Shoutbox, so the shoutbox won't load if external images are called and thy fail to load.

We have 6 terabytes per month of bandwidth, and are running nginx. We're barely using 5% of said bandwidth, and static files are no problem for the server.