One of two small group games: Exalted or D&D 3.5/Pathfinder

Started by kongming, July 27, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

So I've learned my lesson about starting massive games. But I could run a small group game, one that doesn't have too many of my own subplots and detailed Npcs. It's just a matter of what interests more people:

1. Exalted: Scarlet Blade. You play an all-female team of Alchemicals, specially trained as a strike force. The gates opened to Creation, and Creation is practically destroyed - high Essence weapons in the wars, and the Wyld influence that crept in while the factions were too busy fighting. Now, you need to restore the world.

2. D&D Souled Out. You were great heroes. But demonic forces conspired against you, and you only won because of a group of Devils. They kept you informed, one step ahead of your enemies, and gave you powerful magic items - uou didn't sell your souls, you just signed up for one major service after you die.

And then you started to lose the war. Demons were closing in, and you had only one option: sell a fifty percent share of your souls, in exchange for cheating death. Funny thing: nobody ever found your bodies, or your gear, but you must have died, right?

So now you awaken quite a distance away, a year after your defeat. And now, each only has half a soul, and has been influenced by a devil. Do you want to earn full ownership back? Claim your souls from the corpses of your co-owners? Just feed on new souls? And what of your old legacy - and old enemies?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Question Mark

Option 2 is intriguing, but I'm need a lot more info before I make a decision.  For example, what was the conflict, and how did it get so bad that four characters needed to resort to selling their soul?

Meliai

While I would normally pounce on any mention of an exalted game, I actually really really love the set-up for the second game.

Definitely consider me interested if you go with that one and choose pathfinder.

Initial PC idea would be a "reluctant hero" sort of sorceress, an Aasimar (if non-standard races are allowed, the half-elf daughter of a couple famous heroes if not) who was kind of pressured into trying to play Big Damn Hero due to her heritage. Bad decisions because of peer pressure, yay!
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Question Mark

Quote from: Meliai on July 27, 2014, 10:25:13 PM
While I would normally pounce on any mention of an exalted game, I actually really really love the set-up for the second game.

Definitely consider me interested if you go with that one and choose pathfinder.

Initial PC idea would be a "reluctant hero" sort of sorceress, an Aasimar (if non-standard races are allowed, the half-elf daughter of a couple famous heroes if not) who was kind of pressured into trying to play Big Damn Hero due to her heritage. Bad decisions because of peer pressure, yay!

On that note, I'd much prefer a Pathfinder system as well.  DnD is nice, but I'm just so used to all of the little niceties in PF that switching would be a sore experience.

Also, now that I've had some time, here are some specific questions regarding Souled Out (awesome name by the way):

-- So that I have this straight, our characters pulled a Vaarsuvius with some devils in order to gain an edge.  Then, when this edge wasn't enough, we sold half of our souls to become temporarily immortal (chest death).  However, we were instead cheated by the devils, lose, and wake up a year later.

-- So now we have a devil sharing our body with us...  Is this a distinct alien being inside our mind that's fighting for control of our faculties, or is it more of a new and malign presence that is as much a part of us as our own intellect, influencing us subtly?

-- What's the setting?  Is it post-apocalyptic, all wastelands and fallen kingdoms, or was our conflict only a minor one in the grand scheme of things and the world is more or less still intact?

-- Are we still intact and alive, i.e. Are we undead?

-- Were all part of the same adventuring party?  I hope so; we could have a lot of fun making up past events on the fly.

kongming

Ultimately, it will be 3.5 as I can't be fucked learning all the tiny and stupid changes of Pf. That said, feats will still be "every odd level" and you can use any feats, classes, spells etc from Pathfinder. So mostly I imagine people will use PF classes (as they give extra class features and options and all that) but 3.5 feats and spells (because they're better). Unusual races are allowed, and people should definitely use the PF races.

Traits are still in (two to start). I like plenty of PF "stuff", I just hate the changes to the system itself.

You are properly alive, yes, and can be killed again. The devils didn't cheat you, they just basically moved you away and brought you back as though by True Resurrection. They didn't kill your enemies, however.

Yes, you were a team before, and I encourage the making up of past adventures.

I have some maps at home I can upload, it's a fairly wartorn fantasy setting, but there wasn't some massive cataclysm so characters actually can have maps and history books.

The devils only co-own your souls. Your bodies are yours to do with as you please... though obviously,  death would turn out to be unfortunate for you. Similarly, your shareholder might slowly influence your personality if you (as a player) want, and has a big bargaining chip, but you control your actions.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Meliai

Ah, I'm afraid I'll have to bow out then. I don't know 3.5 well enough to be comfortable mixing the two systems.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

kongming

I understand completely. The two are similar enough with just enough differences that if you're mostly used to one, the other is an incredible pain and everything you know has to be re-checked.

Ons/Offs:

Muse

Kong-chan! 

*poucne* 

Exalted?  Pretty please?  With a silk whip on top? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kongming

Muse: if a few others are up for it, it might be the one I go with. As is, we have one person maybe interested in the D&D thing, and for Exalted there's you and possibly one other. So it could go either way still.

Question Mark: you were originally just a team of adventurers, out for wealth and fame. Then you disrupted a minor demon cult - people that wanted some quick power (and the idiots they fooled). After that, the demons that were in on a good deal before you came along, they decided to make it personal. More and more often, you didn't need to go searching, trouble would look for you. Assassination attempts at night. Thug teams ambushing you on the road. Whenever the element of surprise would actually be enough for them to win, those were the times the devils gave free advice. In their untrustworthy words: "information of this sort is free, because these demons are our enemies. We need to make sure they fail at all they attempt. But if you want anything else, we can talk prices..."

As you became more powerful (and richer, and better-known), more and more forces were gathered. It was as though the things sent to kill you were just there to distract you from the army that was being formed, with legions of the undead, with the grimlocks and their medusae masters, with humanoids simply working for coin. The war was broadly about gaining territory (or creating corpses for animation), and forging their own massive kingdom, but in truth, the demons at the helm just wanted you dead. Several towns were reduced to ruins in the process, and there were a great many lives lost.

Ons/Offs:

Rajah

I love Exalted, but...that second idea is just too awesome not to vote for. Epic quests of vengeance and redemption while suffering under a terrible debt to terrible powers? Sign me up.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

VonDoom

I'm not that big a fan of 3.5 ever since Pathfinder stole my heart away nor of mixing the two, but the second option sounds too delicious not to denote interest.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Empyrean

With the Exalted setting, could you explain more about how Creation broke and the Alchemicals got involved?

kongming

I don't actually get credit for the Souled Out, that goes to the (now defunct) WCW.
That said, all the interest for that one comes down to people wishing it were Pathfinder.  I tolerate the existence of PF but I don't have to *like* it. I wanted to provide the options there as a halfway measure, but it's kind of looking like this isn't going to work.

Empyrean: when the gates of Autochthonia opened, Creation was already fucked. You're there to fix it, but it's not your fault. However, the time spent separated from Creation seems to have made you resistant to the Wyld corruption,  so you might actually be able to do it.

What happened: the Dragonblooded engaged in so much Dynastic infighting that when Solars fought them to reclaim their glory, they no longer had the military advantage.  The fight was long and drawn out, which in turn meant the belligerent forces of the Abyssals and Infernals had the perfect opportunity for unleashing a full assault. As a result, the three Solar factions fought bitterly, free to use High Essence Charms and artifacts. Destruction was widespread, and thanks to the accursed Solar Bond, nearly all Lunars were dragged into it. With the guardians pulled away from fighting against the Wyld, that is what the Wyld needed: the land became corrupted and infected.

There weren't enough left to fight it when it happened. Like a disease or creeping radioactive leak, it spread. Many souls were destroyed by this, preventing reincarnation. Some Abyssals fled to the relative safety of the Underworld. Some Infernals fled to their hellish prisons. SomeTTerrestrials with low Essence survived, too weak to function as a beacon. The Sidereal Exalted that chose to intervene perished with the others, so most just hide in Yu Shan. The only remaining Lunars are mutated monsters of the Wyld.

Ons/Offs:

Rajah

Quote from: kongming on July 28, 2014, 09:17:21 PM
I don't actually get credit for the Souled Out, that goes to the (now defunct) WCW.
That said, all the interest for that one comes down to people wishing it were Pathfinder.  I tolerate the existence of PF but I don't have to *like* it. I wanted to provide the options there as a halfway measure, but it's kind of looking like this isn't going to work.

I prefer 3.5 to Pathfinder. I appreciate giving everyone a higher baseline, because it needs to happen, but it doesn't fix the serious problems and it's really hard to homebrew. I'd rather play 3.5 where every player brought their own class from GITP or brilliantgameologists or wrote it up just for the game because it only takes a couple hours and it's a lot easier than dealing with five thousand wiggly bits that still won't make your monk viable in a serious, character-driven and consequence-based game where the DM won't hold your hand just because you forgot to be a full caster.

I like what they did with skills and I like that they understand the principles of how much stuff should be happening per level at a minimum, but they just don't go far enough. I think a halfway measure is great because you have Pathfinder classes for people who won't touch homebrew or for people who get nervous about someone's pet class with its own little subsystems or whatever but you're still acknowledging what makes D&D 3.5 great, that it's an unholy mess with an enormous amount of creative freedom. I'd be fine with straight 3.5, though.

While people have some reservations about systems, you're at least getting great feedback on the idea. I'm really interested in it. It's simple on the face of things but it has just so much potential.

The Alchemicals game sounds fun, too. I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic Exalted and the splats that support transhuman weirdness (Alchemicals, TAW Lunars, and Infernals, and to a lesser extent Abyssals) so I won't be sad if it goes in that direction.

Question Mark

Quote from: kongming on July 28, 2014, 09:17:21 PM

Well, to be fair, I only voiced my interest because it was an intriguing plot hook.  The system business is secondary.  I prefer PF because I like PF more, but I would hardly say that's the source of my interest.

kongming

Okay, that sounds reasonable.  So at the moment there's support for both ideas. I'll wait a bit longer for other people to poke their head in and will answer questions in the meantime.

And yeah, I'm generally good with classes and such from BG or gitpg or tgd, or custom homebrew stuff, for D&D.

Ons/Offs:

VonDoom

Quote from: Question Mark on July 28, 2014, 09:53:38 PM
Well, to be fair, I only voiced my interest because it was an intriguing plot hook.  The system business is secondary.  I prefer PF because I like PF more, but I would hardly say that's the source of my interest.

Same here.

O&O

Muse

I'd honestly enjoy either game. 

Pertaining to the Exalted idea, Alchemcials are very good at building, and Creation needs a lot of that in any era--specifically this one you speak of! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kongming

Yeah, it will involve clearing the corruption out of places, rebuilding, forcing your technology on the land to prevent the Wyld taint from returning, making contact with communities of survivors, punching Wyld creatures in the face, discovering lore about Creation, trying to stop servants of the Void from stepping in... and of course, there will be some defectors from Autochthonia who want to do their own thing, and may need fighting and then some rather vigorous convincing to repent. Likewise, the more the world is cleaned up, the more likely there will be a return of those factions that retreated, and they may need killing, or perhaps rather vigorous convincing.

In other words, there will be opportunities for many things. Including sexy stuff. And there's a reason to keep it to one faction rather than my disastrous attempt previously to balance Solars and Dragonblooded and whatnot all as playable things. (Dear White Wolf: on behalf of all the people who might like a mixed game: fuck you. Oh wait, WW went out of business, they don't exist any more. VENGEANCE IS MINE.) I might put some extra Charm trees in for people (including various ones that expand the caste-specific abilities so being Starmetal or Jade actually means something).

As for D&D, I'm thinking the level should be pretty decent, in the 7-10 region where you actually could lead an army, and where fighting some demons is actually reasonable (what with the only CR 1-3 fiends basically being smaller than my dog). There'd still be a bunch of "dungeon-like places" that could be adventured in if you ever decided you wanted to get sidetracked and find weird crap. But you also have things you can do - re-establish your presence, make people know you're alive (if you wish to do that), soul-related things, negotiations with devils...

Ons/Offs:

VonDoom

Going evil due to the partial soul loss seems within the scope of things, considering eating souls was presented as a viable approach. This pleases me. I hope a willingness to still work with former comrades and not be stupid about it is a prerequisite?

Also, any opinions on/knowledge of Psionics? And would they be viable for this?

O&O

Rajah

Quote from: VonDoom on July 29, 2014, 08:42:03 AM
Going evil due to the partial soul loss seems within the scope of things, considering eating souls was presented as a viable approach. This pleases me. I hope a willingness to still work with former comrades and not be stupid about it is a prerequisite?

I can't say I'm the MOST interested party in building a character who can work with things that eat souls, but I can roll with it...that said, the whole "Lawful Stupid" thing kinda falls apart when you're talking about consuming the immortal essence of other sentient creatures. That's not evil like the rogue who robs the rich and also everyone else, that's Evil with the kind of capital letter you PRONOUNCE. :P

Quote from: MuseI'd honestly enjoy either game.

If everyone wanted to play a Warforged we could totally hybridize them. :P

Quote from: VonDoomAlso, any opinions on/knowledge of Psionics?

They're great, just not always setting-appropriate...but, I mean, how much of D&D is ever really setting appropriate? I've never seen a write-up that makes monks and druids not feel awkward. "Over here is the Forest of Druids, where druids live, right next to the Monastery Mountains..."

VonDoom

Eh, I don't specifically want to eat souls with my character, I just took it as an indication that being evil is an option.

O&O

Question Mark

I gravitate towards good and chaotic with my characters, but I could see myself playing a lawful or neutral.  In other words, I'd be cool with a party that leans evil.

Empyrean

So with the Alchemicals game, what Essence would we be starting out? A bunch of E2s fresh out of the Vats or experienced heroines? And what sort of things might they have been allowed to requisition for the operation? Also, would Adamants have been revealed to Autochthonia/sent on this mission? I sort of have an Orichalcum in mind but thought I'd ask.

kongming

D&D: any alignment is fine as long as the actual party gets along together. I am fine with psionics. I mean, the crystals are weird, but then the material components for fireball are "basic napalm" so magic has stupid jokes - how can I complain about the psi stuff just being weird?

Exalted: you've all had specialist training, so the characters would be created as normal, then raised to Essence 4 and given some specific bonus skills and charms, then a bit of xp to spend as you wish. And one or two free Artifacts to help with your job. A bit generous but it's nice to start with a character who has options and feels competent. Given the state of the world and the extraordinary circumstances,  the Adama t caste are now known to Autochthonia. The inhabitants of Creation may still have a hard time remembering them when motes are spent, though.

Ons/Offs:

Green Goo Theory

The 3.P game sounds itneresting.  I don't know exalted at all. 

I can also play 3.5, Pathfinder, or mix.  And for those of you that are unsure it's incredibly easy.  Remove a few rulse and you get skill points/feats differently and that's it.

I am willing to learn a new system like exalted though if there was any kind of available source of info. 
Coming soon...

Question Mark

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on July 29, 2014, 09:22:42 PM
The 3.P game sounds itneresting.  I don't know exalted at all. 

I can also play 3.5, Pathfinder, or mix.  And for those of you that are unsure it's incredibly easy.  Remove a few rulse and you get skill points/feats differently and that's it.

I am willing to learn a new system like exalted though if there was any kind of available source of info.

I'd also be willing to learn Exalted, although I'll admit thenExalted story hook isn't nearly as intriguing as the 3.P one.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Question Mark on July 29, 2014, 09:24:04 PM
I'd also be willing to learn Exalted, although I'll admit thenExalted story hook isn't nearly as intriguing as the 3.P one.

Being ignorant of exalted stuff we (since I feel the same way too) may be missing some important things that might make it way more interesting. 
Coming soon...

Question Mark

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on July 29, 2014, 09:40:49 PM
Being ignorant of exalted stuff we (since I feel the same way too) may be missing some important things that might make it way more interesting.

Fair point, I retract my previous statement pending further information.

Rajah

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on July 29, 2014, 09:40:49 PM

Alchemical Exalted are cyborg Communist superheroes who must balance their need to be human with humanity's need for them to be more. They live inside their robot god and fight his cancer, which gets into his trillion component souls and turns them into things that tend to look like Event Horizon, Alien, and Hellraiser had a xenomechanical nightmare child. They have powers with names like Personality Override Spike (this is a literal spike you jam in the back of someone's head to do exactly what it says on the tin) and Piston-Driven Megaton Hammer (there's not a lot that needs to be said, except that it has an upgrade called Unstoppable Impulse Engine) and Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations (have you ever wanted to be the sexual equivalent of a high-end-performance computer, and also the literal equivalent, at the same time?). When they get bored of stuff like that, they invent things like Thousand Wounds Gear Style, a supernatural martial arts tradition based around the gyroscopic chakram. The gyroscopic chakram, if you're wondering, is a chainsaw that flies.

So just saying "Alchemicals" gets a lot of people excited.

I still like the D&D game better, but Exalted is always awesome.

Empyrean

I have a very rough sketch of an Alchemical here. The idea of her is that she's a young but experienced Adamant who was very taken by her time spent in Jarish, and is excited to be openly working with other Alchemicals. I know she needs a lot of work, I just thought I'd get the sketch up for review.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Transcendentally Elegant Optimizer
Caste: Adamant

Caste Attributes

Strength 5
Perception 3
Appearance 5

Favored Attributes

Charisma 3
Stamina 3
Dexterity 3

Tertiary Attributes

Wits 2
Manipulation 2
Intelligence 3

Abilities

Martial Arts 3
Performance 3
Linguistics 1 (Old Realm, Autochthonic)
Integrity 3
Presence 3
Survival 3
Awareness 3
Resistance 3
Dodge 3

Backgrounds (0/10)

Mentor 5 (free) (Her mentor is the Divine Minister Runel)
Artifact 3
Eidolon 2
Command 2
Familiar 3
Savant 1

Virtues

Compassion 3
Conviction 2
Valor 2
Temperance 2

Willpower 5

Essence: 2
Dedicated Charm Slots: 4
General Charm Slots: 4

Dedicated Charms: Fourth Strength Augmentation, Sixth Dexterity Augmentation (Dexterity+Martial Arts), Fourth Charisma Augmentation, Sixth Charisma Augmentation (Charisma+Performance)
General Charms: Perfected Lotus Matrix, Whistling Analog Signal, Subcutaneous Armor Plating, Multiphase Divinity Regulator

BP: 9/15

kongming

Given I'm able to post from my phone at work, and can mostly set the posting pace, I now think I shall run both options - just need to sort out who wishes to play in which game.

So for Souled Out: run races and classes by me, but I will probably say yes. Let's call it level eight. Do people want me to roll up some ability score arrays to choose from, or do you want to just use point buy? People can basically have whatever mundane equipment they want, and eight magic items, but I will go into more detail on that a bit later.

Similarly, I will get the Alchemical training packages posted up in a bit, but it's basically medic, patriotism provoking sword swinging protector,  energy cannon "sniper", pistolier/demolition expert, whip wielding martial arts expert, chainsaw throwing maniac, and clawed ninja. And anyone can personally focus in crafting x or robo-control or piloting or whatever.

Ons/Offs:

Question Mark

Quote from: kongming on July 31, 2014, 09:57:02 PM
So for Souled Out: run races and classes by me, but I will probably say yes. Let's call it level eight. Do people want me to roll up some ability score arrays to choose from, or do you want to just use point buy? People can basically have whatever mundane equipment they want, and eight magic items, but I will go into more detail on that a bit later.

Gut reaction is a human illusionist/archer sorcerer.  I'll sleep on it and see what else I think of.

Empyrean

I was thinking of making Optimizer a dual whip-wielding martial artist. :)

Rajah

I prefer point-buy over basically everything.

I'll see about rigging up some kind of tortured knight thing. Armor, hellish powers, the Sublime Way, that kind of thing. Maybe some psionics if I can fit them in somewhere, since they go so nicely with armor and since divine would be a little too cliche.

Here's a little whatsit I wrote just for this game. I don't know that I'm going to bother to finish it, but it was fun.  :P

Swallowing Darkness (Discipline)
There are many paths to the Sublime Way, only a few of which - the so-called Nine-Petaled Lotus - were deemed worthy (or known of, depending on which version of things one believes) by the legendary master Reshar. Most are focused quite directly on the defeat and subsequent butchery of one's enemies; they are killing arts, first and foremost. But is it truly killing that elevates an adept on the Way? Hotly debated is where the true warrior's devotion should lie - to life or death, love or hate, war or peace...young adepts with a certain charming mix of compassion and courage sometimes seek out tutelage in Swallowing Darkness, believing it to be a philosophical expression of their chosen answer. Its origins, of course, are not quite so lofty: Swallowing Darkness was invented by the erinyes Erembour who, tired of being mistakenly summon by idiot practitioners expecting something not unlike her demonic cousins, decided to master the lover's arts she was constantly tasked with so that she could use them as a vehicle to return to her singular passion of ripping living things limb from limb. A particularly staunch crusader put an end to her reign of terror, and over the course of their epic duel learned much of the principles by which she had slain so many - principles he later used to instruct his husband, who went on teach the Hammer Prince during their sordid three-year affair...and so has Swallowing Darkness spread, through whispers and midnight sparring, ever beneath the dignity of the so-called Masters of the Nine. Even the disciples of Reshar's Lotus, however, dare only hold the discipline in contempt - as its founder proved time and time again, those who fall prey to its appearance...well, there is no good end awaiting the prey of Erembour's legacy.

Associated Skill: Sleight of Hand
Discipline Weapons: Flail, Kusari-Gama, Spiked Chain, Unarmed Strike, Whip

Level 1 Maneuvers
Loving Openly Approach
Swallowing Darkness (Stance)
Level: Martial Adept 1
Initiation Action: Swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Stance

Love and hate, it is said, are two sides of the same coin. Practitioners of Swallowing Darkness disagree; to imply that there are sides to be chosen is to embrace tragedy. What a warrior should embrace, say such adepts, is her sisters. While in this stance, once per round when an opponent misses you with an attack or fails a grapple check against you, you may gain a +4 morale bonus on grapple checks against them that lasts until the end of your next turn. If they missed by 5 or more on an attack you may additionally start a grapple with them (you may make an opposed grapple check as a free action even if it is not your turn) which does not provoke attacks of opportunity and, if they are larger than you, ignores up to one size category worth of grapple modifiers until the end of the grapple.

Kissing the Spear
Swallowing Darkness (Counter)
Initiation Action: Immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

A Swallowing Darkness adept has nothing to fear from the violence of her opponents - and much to anticipate, for in their eagerness to strike at her heart they are easily devoured. Whenever an enemy makes an attack against you, you may initiate this maneuver. Any attribute bonus to damage the opponent would enjoy is ignored for that attack; if the attacker was suffering a penalty to AC (such as from a charge, bestow curse, or a barbarian's rage) your attacker is additionally rendered flatfooted until the end of your next turn.

Silk-and-Butterflies Burst
Swallowing Darkness (Strike)
Initiation Action: Standard action
Range: Melee attack
Target: One creature
Duration: Encounter
Save: Reflex negates

Nothing gets between the dedicated adept and what he wants. As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack against an opponent. If the attack hits, then the foe must make a Reflex save or suffer a penalty to AC based on your Sleight of Hand ranks as shown below. If this penalty exceeds the AC bonus of the opponent's armor, it (along with any nonmagical clothing the opponent is wearing) are scattered into the air around the opponent where they float until the end of his next turn, at which point they drop in his square. The opponent may take a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity to recover his poise, removing the AC penalty from this maneuver and re-equipping any floating equipment before it falls.

Sleight of Hand |AC penalty
1-4-2
5-8-4
9-12-6
13-16-8
17-20-8
21+-10

This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Muse

Ah, ha ! Alchemicals please! 

Oh, Empyrean's using Live Wire form?  Okay, I'll come up with something else.  :) 

Snake

I'd be interested in a 3.5e game. 

But  wouldn't that mean everyone has a level of the BoVD class Soul Eater to be able to consume souls as a bonus level where didn't have to meet requirements for it or something?

kongming

Empyrean: looks good. I'll also be changing the names and flavour (and final charm) of the Laughing Wounds style (Scroll of the Monk, Abyssal style), so Alchemical whip-wielders can have a Terrestrial AND Celestial art.

Rajah: that sounds pretty good, and Swallowing Darkness seems acceptable.

Snake: no, that would be silly. If characters want to eat the souls of others (and that's just one option), they can do it the hard way, by buying them from fiends or using soul-stealing weapons-spells and extracting them that way.

Ons/Offs:

Empyrean

Okay. If you could, could you post up what exactly we are to get in character creation? I know Essence 4 but things like what bonus charms, how much xp, and whatever else we get?

Warlock

Souled-Out seems really interesting, especially since we're mixing both Pathfinder and 3.5 and the premise is yummy. Can't comment much on Exalted since I don't know the system, but it seems to be a nice premise. On the point of dead levels, since you speculated on having us start at a higher level I don't think it would be too much of an issue since you have the opportunity to start with prestige classes and have enough feats to be somewhat into the feat-trees you want, giving you enough options from the get-go.

Empyrean

A question came up when I was looking at Optimizer. Would you allow Celestial Battle Armor with the Oblivion's Panoply features (from Wonders of the Lost Age pp. 90-91)? Normally it's something only Abyssals with the Liege background can have, but considering that Autochthon created soulsteel I was just curious. If not, no problem. I just wanted to know where the outer limits are in creating a character.

kongming

Well I'm okay with that, but keep in mind that it is worn armour, which can be a problem with martial arts.

Note: the new charms are all jotted down basically as dot points. I'll properly write them up in future edits.

EXALTED: SCARLET BLADE

Create as normal, with the following changes:
1. You are Essence 4, no more, no less. This does not cost Bonus Points.
2. Everyone gets three Excellencies of choice for free, including the Slots for them.
3. Your training package gives you five free Charms plus the necessary Slots for them. They must be attuned. If you don't meet the prerequisites, they won't be active.
4. Your training package gives you five free dots of Abilities. These happen after you distribute your Abilities, but before BP are spent, so it can't take you above the maximum.
5. Everyone gets a free 3-dot Artifact of their choice.
6. You can take Manse, thanks to the new contact with this world - some hearthstones have been brought back and as a good strike group, you are allowed these valuable things.
7. You have 18 BP (as per the Scroll of Eratta)
8. Willpower is 5 before applying BP (as per the Scroll of Eratta)
9. If Intelligence is Favoured or Caste for you, then Protocols are 2xp cheaper (as with Spells for others who have Occult as Caste/Favoured)
10. 25xp added on top. Yes you can spend it right now or store it for later. You can't buy your Essence rating up, so don't save up for that. It increases for all of you when you achieve massive stuff.

"Protector"

Bonus Skills: Integrity, Presence, Melee, Resistance, Survival
Bonus Charms: Barrier Projection Array*, Salient Aggression Transmitter*, Strain-Resistant Chassis Modification x1, Subcutaneous Armour Plating x1, Patriotism-Provoking Display
*New, see below

"Medic"

Bonus Skills: Investigation, Awareness, Presence, Lore, Medicine
Bonus Charms: Life-Preservation Apparatus*, Serotonin Stabiliser Override*, Multi-Function Hypodermic Apparatus, Chemical Fog Generator, Synergy Promoting Upgrade
*New, see below

"Punisher"

Bonus Skills: Archery, Stealth, Awareness, Survival, Integrity
Bonus Charms: One-With-Weapons Uplink*, Essence Signature Tracking Flare*, Optical Enhancement, Anticipatory Simulation Processor, Aim-Calibrating Sensors
*New, see below

"Dervish"

Bonus Skills: Thrown, Ride, Martial Arts, Dodge, Athletics
Bonus Charms: Perfected Lotus Matrix, The Circle Screams, Gear Catches Gear Defence, Thousand Wounds Gear Form, Secondary Sensory Upgrades

"Stalker"

Bonus Skills: Melee, Stealth, Larceny, Occult, Dodge
Bonus Charms: Thermoptic Sheathing Process*, Oscillating Trauma Upgrade*, Optical Shroud Enhancement, Personality Override Spike, Limb Extension Armatures
*New, see below

"Warden"

Bonus Skills: Martial Arts, Performance, Investigation, Athletics, Awareness
Bonus Charms: Perfected Lotus Matrix, Acceptance of Discipline*, Searing Punishment*, Correction of Miscreants Form*, Accelerated Response System
*See Below

"Protector Charms"

Regardless of Attributes, these can all be used in Dedicated Slots for the Protector
Barrier Projection Array:
Requirements: Essence 2 Stamina 3
Cost: 4+m [1m]
Duration: 1 Scene
Type: Simple (Speed 3)
Keywords: Obvious, Combo-OK
The back of each hand bears a small hexagon of jade, with etched-in orichalcum "circuitry". Activating this is an action that does not provide a penalty to Parry DV. One fist of choice will project a hexagonal barrier around one yard across, granting a +2 bonus to the Parry DV for the duration. Additional motes may be spent, increasing the bonus by 1 for each 2 additional motes. The highest bonus to Parry this charm can give is equal to the Exalt's Essence rating. An Exalt of Essence 5+ can reflexively spend 2 motes while this is active to remove the [Unblockable] tag from an incoming attack. Doing so is not a Charm Activation.
*Subroutine (3xp): Kinetic Conversion Protocols: feedback patterns are added to the circuitry, allowing impact to divert energy inwards. While the Charm is active, the Exalt regains 1 spent mote every time they use their Parry DV to successfully stop an incoming attack, providing the attack had a damage rating (including bonuses) at least as high as the Exalt's Essence. This can be taken a second time, doubling the number of motes gained.
*Subroutine (3xp): Sacrificial Shielding Unit: small Essence capacitors can help absorb high-impact attacks, stopping serious injuries but temporarily shorting the system out. If a [Crippling] effect hits the Exalt while the Charm is active, she may automatically end the Charm to negate the attack altogether. Doing so prevents the Charm from being activated again until a Dramatic Action (about one hour) is spent fixing it. At Essence 5+, the shield can be sacrificed and reactivated (Stamina) times before it shorts out and needs to be recalibrated.

Diverted Barrier Projection:
Requirements: Essence 3 Stamina, BPA
Cost: 1m [-]
Duration: see below
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Obvious, Combo-OK
Special Adamant lenses are added to the Barrier Projection Array, allowing it to be extended further and moved about. With a Reaction, the Exalt may apply her already-active BPA (along with any Subroutines) to any ally within her melee reach - including any expansions due to movement or reach-extending Charms that can be activated with a Reaction. She may likewise use a Reaction to use any of the reflexive uses of the Charm and subroutines on behalf of an ally within reach.

Kinetic Weapon Reinforcement:
Requirements: Essence 3 Stamina 4, BPA
Cost: : 2m [1m]
Duration: Instant
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious
Additional orichalcum circuitry extends into the palm of the hands, helping to channel energy into the hands and wielded weapons. Small additional lenses help adjust the shape of the barrier. This may be used to augment an attack with a melee weapon, or an unarmed attack, as long as Barrier Projection Array is active. This allows the attack to hit dematerialised targets, and adds the user's Stamina as a bonus to the raw damage. While this is in effect, the bonus to Parry DV does not apply against any incoming Counter attacks.

Kinetic Impact Reinforcement:
Requirements: Essence 4, Stamina 4, KWR
Cost: 6m [1m]
Type: Simple (Speed 5)
Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious, Knockback
This charm expands upon its prerequisite, continuing the etched lines along the arms, down the sides and along the legs to the knees, with smaller projectors located there. Activating this causes the Exalt to project a very close barrier for a short duration - she may unleash a charging melee attack as a Speed 5 action (Def -2), with a Damge rating equal to that of the weapon as normal, including Strength and threshhold successes, plus her Stamina. This is all dealt as Bashing damage, but gains the [Piercing] and [Unblockable] tags and can hit Dematerialised foes. Struck foes are then hurled back (Essence + Strength) yards, and must pass a Difficulty 1 Dexterity + Athletics test or fall prone. If this is used while Barrier Projection Array is already activated, it does not deactivate BPA against any counter attacks, and the activation cost is reduced by 3.

Kinetic Shockwave Projector:
Requirements: Essence 4, Stamina 5, KIR, DBP
Cost: 5m [1m]
Type: Simple (Speed 4)
Keywords: Obvious, Combo-Basic, Knockback
Additional circuitry wraps around to various key points on the body, with empowered adamant lenses designed for brief pulses of energy. The Exalt may gather a brief field of energy, then unleash it, expanding outwards against all targets, even dematerialised, within (Essence) yards. This is an [Unblockable] attack, made with Essence + Stamina to hit, Damage of Essence + Strength + threshhold successes in Lethal damage with the [Piercing] tag. BPA must be activated to use this, and doing so deactivates it for 1 tick. The attack reduces Defence by 2.
*Subroutine (6xp): Photon Bombardment Projector: the energy shield forces a thin layer of energy particles out, flinging them into targets with deadly effect. For +3m 1WP to the activation cost, the damage becomes Aggravated and any damaged target is afflicted with radiation poisoning, treated as Green Sun Waste (Virulency equal to Essence rating). Against creatures of the Wyld, or creatures with actual permanent mutations (not temporary ones created by Charms or Sorcery), each additional dose counts as a new day of infection, speeding death along. Alchemical Exalted are not affected by radiation sickness.

-

Salient Aggression Transmitter:
Requirements: Essence 3, Charisma 3
Cost: 1m [-]
Duration: Scene
Keywords: Combo-OK, Compulsion, Emotion, Obvious
Tiny orichalcum and adamant "flares" are threaded through small plates on the Exalt. By channelling a mote through them, the Exalt lights up, similarly to flaring her Anima. Stealth becomes impossible for the Exalt, although foes are compelled to look at her, granting all allies her Appearance rating as bonus dice on Stealth tests, and any time she successfully hits an enemy with an attack, she may instantly make a Presence attack against their MDV of choice, to force Unnatural Influence of "focus your attacks against me" for the duration.

Dedication-Provoking Attitude:
Requirements: Essence 3, Charisma 3, SAT
Cost: 3m 1WP [1m]
Keywords: Combo-OK, Compulsion
More than just an attitude, small starmetal wires extend from the head to the shoulders, where tiny orichalcum transmitters help conduct resilient dedication to allies. While this Charm is active, all allies within (Essence * 3) yards may subtract the Exalt's Charisma from their wound penalties.

Effort-Inspiring Display:
Requirements: Essence 3, Charisma 3, SAT
Cost: 4m [1m]
The prerequisite Charm is extended with starmetal wires, leading to small mote-flaring projectors. This Charm may be activated to supplement a melee attack. If it hits, all allies within (Essence) yards regain 1 spent mote as part of the energy feeds back to them, and they may each be freed from one Unnatural Influence. If her Essence rating is 5, the allies get two motes each. If her Essence is 6 or higher, they get three motes each.
*Subroutine (6xp): Effort-Rewarding Feedback Loop: the wiring of this causes a (limited) positive feedback loop: all benefits apply to the Exalt herself, as though she were her own ally.
*Subroutine (6xp): Morale-Inspiring Protocols: the energies of the Charm invigorate everyone affected - they also regain 1 Valour channel and 1 Willpower.

Resolute Loyalty Programming:
Requirements: Essence 4, Charisma 4, DPA, EID
Cost: 6m 1WP [-]
Duration: until the user's DVs next refresh
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK
Adamant reinforcements line the inside of the body, linking to the prerequisite charms, so that willpower alone can sustain her. Using this Charm keeps the Exalt on her feet just that little bit longer. Until her DVs next refresh, she can continue to act regardless of wounds suffered and effects and conditions, unless her body is destroyed. This cannot be extended, merely re-activated, so if she is rendered incapacitated and activates this, she will fall incapacitated when it ends, and be unable to re-activate it.
*Subroutine (6xp): Inspiring Loyalty Display: by sending a pulse of energy to allies, this not only affects the Exalt, but also extends its benefits to allies in (Essence) yards. Furthermore, Effort-Inspiring Display costs zero motes for the Exalt if used as her next available action.

Supreme Allegiance Insinuation:
Requirements: Essence 5, Charisma 5, RLP
Cost: 6m 1WP [1m]
Type: Simple (Speed 6)
Keywords: Compulsion, Emotion, Combo-OK
Brilliant orichalcum pieces are connected to the lips and eyes of the Exalt, allowing her to project waves of mind-altering loyalty. By focusing on an enemy within line of sight, she can make a Presence-based social attack against them at a greatly increased speed (Speed 6 in combat ticks, -2 to Defence). If it succeeds, the target must either spend three Willpower points or change their loyalties, thinking themselves an ally of the Exalt for the remainder of the scene. At the end of the duration, the target forgets what they did and what happened.

"Medic Charms"

Regardless of Attributes, these can all be used in Dedicated Slots for the Medic
Life-Preservation Apparatus:
Requirements: Essence 3, Intelligence 3
Cost: 3m [1m]
Comprehensive Surgery Systems (basic); scalpel set works as Razor Claws if needed
*Subroutine (3xp): Medical Assistant Processor: can be taken twice as the two upgrades to CSS

Precision Medicinal Delivery System:
Requirements: Essence 4, Intelligence 3, LPA
Cost: 1m [1m]
Type: Simple (Speed 4)
Fire injections as though with mini-crossbow, out to (Essence x 10) yards, 1m to instantly load
*Subroutine (3xp): Guided Remote Surgery Process: perform any kinds of Medicine roll out to (Essence x 10) yards for 1m, including attacks with scalpel array

Living Essence Resuscitation Injector:
Cost: 10m 1 WP [-]
Restore 1 Lethal or 2 Bashing heal levels with injection. +10 motes for another 1L/2B.

Essence Refinement Synthesis Engine:
Cost: 6m [2m]
Produce drugs - can load into Charms (+1 to Speed of usage) or bleed (Reaction) or spit (Speed 3)
*Gain 2 drugs known in database, buy more for 2xp each or through Int+Med (Difficulty 1) when exposed to them
*Subroutine (6xp): Fumes of Healing Essence Engine: works as Chemical Fog Generator

Anti-Shaping Dispersion Beam:
Requirements: Essence 5, Stamina 4, PMDS, LERI, ERSE
Cost: 10m [1m]
Keywords: Combo-Basic, Shaping, Obvious
Radiation Beam - Unblockable attack at (Essence x 20) yards, Accuracy +2 Speed 5 Rate 1 attack to remove all Shaping effects. Against Void and Wyld creatures, Damage 12 A + [Radiation Sickness]

-

Serotonin Stabiliser Override: (Essence 3 (Any Social) 4)
[1m] 4m
Augment a Presence attack, ending all Natural Mental Influence and negative Emotions, regain 1 WP
*Subroutine (3xp): Electro-Remedial Therapy: no longer [Obvious]
*Subroutine (6xp): Synaptic Bypass Therapy: +2m to also remove Unnatural Mental Influence, regain 1 Conviction channel
*Subroutine (6xp): Bliss Response Therapy: +2 to also build an Intimacy and regain 1 Compassion channel, reduce Parry MDV against you by (Essence) until non-Intimate

Endorphin Feedback Modulator: (Essence 4 (Any Social) 4, SSO)
[-] 6m
Misc-action trigger a choice in target (perform wanted action or lose (Ess+App) motes and take (App) Internal penalty on actions for Scene). Must already be affected by SSO.

Addiction Response Stimulator: (Essence 4 (Any Social) 4, SSO)
[1m] 2m
Make a Presence check against a target to cause addiction to SSO

Synaptic Rewiring Protocol: (Essence 4 (Any Social) 4, ARS, EFM)
[1m] 6m
Functions as though Presence in Absence Technique

Personality Sculpting Override System: (Essence 5 (Any Social) 5, SRP)
[1m] 5m 1WP
Make a Presence attack, implant (successes) command triggers and mood-altering and Intimacy-altering trigger events.

"Punisher Charms"

Regardless of Attributes, these can all be used in Dedicated Slots for the Punisher
One-With-Weapons Uplink: (Essence 3, Dexterity 3)
[2m]
One Artefact firearm is linked, gets +1 Accuracy, ignore 1 type of penalty, spend WP to negate effects against weapon

Transmodal Energy Regulator: (Essence 3, Dexterity 3, OWWU)
[1m] 1m
Modify a shooting attack: add Burning or Blindness or Radiation Sickness, or hits Immaterial
*Subroutine (6xp): Plasma Shockwave Burst Protocol: fire weapon in alternate mode, in AoE burst out to (Essence) yards
*Subroutine (3xp): Ionic Shock Beam: add Stunning option to TER

Essence Safety Override: (Essence 4, Dexterity 4, TER)
[-] 3m
Augment a shot, add (Essence) dice to damage, suffer (Essence - Soak) Lethal levels as well, adds Blast
*Subroutine (3xp): Gamma Ray Overload System: +1m spent, adds Sickening/Radiation Poison to both sides of the Overload

Arsenal's Mind Protocol: (Essence 4, Dexterity 4, TER)
[1m] 4m
Reactively shoot an Unnatural Mental Influence, exert Unnatural Influence against other weaponry
*Subroutine (3xp): Affectionate Weapon Modification: reactively shoot Shaping effects

Doomsday Arsenal Protocol: (Essence 5, Dexterity 4, ESO, AMP)
[1m] 10m
Augment a shot, range becomes (Essence x 20) miles, blast radius (Essence) miles, disconnects charm until recalibrated, taking 1 hour

-

Essence Signature Tracking Flare: (Essence 2 Perception 3)
[1m] 1m
Speed 3 action, Unblockable shot that merely marks target for instant recognition for (Essence) weeks, future attacks can become Piercing for +1m

Weakness-Targeting Demolition Method: (Essence 3, Perception 3 ESTF)
[-] 1m
Augment an attack, adds a [Crippling] effect. [Piercing] against structures.
*Subroutine (6xp): Destructive Principle Transferral: 1m to add [Crippling] effects to social attacks

Target Rendering Buffer Protocol: (Essence 3, Perception 4, ESTF)
[1m] 2m
Misc. action (0m if marked) to fully scan a target and make a Per+Investigate check to generate bonus dice on future actions against them, learn all details of their body, including hidden items, injuries etc.

Omni-Cognizant Radar Awareness: (Essence 4, Perception 4, WTDM, TRBP)
[1m] 3m
Gain (Essence x 100) yards radar vision for one scene; Essence 6+: (Essence) miles

Infinite Range Targeting Matrix: (Essence 5, Perception 5, OCRA)
[1m] 6m
Augment to make attacks at any range against marked target

"Stalker Charms"

Regardless of Attributes, these can all be used in Dedicated Slots for the Stalker
Thermoptic Sheathing Process:
Requirements: Essence 3 Stamina 4
Duration: Indefinite
Small moonsilver threads extend from the Exalt's shoulders, all the way down their arms to their fingertips. Simply holding an objects creates the link, and as long as the mote remains invested, any held items seemingly vanish, light bending around their forms. This allows easier acts of larceny, granting an effective three-dot Specialty of "Palming". Additionally, there are no social problems from walking around fully armed. While this is in effect, the Exalt can spend 2 motes when making an attack to keep the weapon invisible for the whole process, making the attack Unexpected.

Image-Displacing Refraction Projector:
Requirements: Essence 4 Stamina 4, TSP
Cost: 6m [2m]
Duration: 1 Scene or until struck
Keywords: Obvious, Combo-Basic
More Moonsilver is woven across the Exalt's body, augmented by tiny adamant crystals placed in key locations. When activated, essence flows through the network and bends light around them. The Exalt can move and attack at will, completely invisible, and with a masked Anima Banner/Flare, except their footprints will still leave tiny traces of their material if the Banner is flaring at the required level. Being hit disrupts the light-refracting process, and ends the Charm's effects.
*Subroutine (3xp): Misdirecting Image Projector: by spending an additional two motes, light isn't just twisted around the Exalt, it is displaced - her image appears elsewhere within (Essence) yards.

Multi-Dimensional Phase Blade: (Essence 4 Dexterity 4, TSP)
Requirements: Essence 4, Dexterity 4, TSP
Tiny reservoirs of Starmetal are installed in sheaths along the Exalt's forearms, extending when necessary to infuse with held weaponry, partially phasing across dimensions. This charm can augment any melee attack, granting the ability to hit Dematerialised targets.
*Subroutine (6xp): Cross-Dimensional Phasing Module: the Charm's phasing is more fine-tuned, able to dematerialise and rematerialise at the perfect moments. By spending an additional 4 motes, the attack bypasses Armour completely, ignoring additional Soak or Hardness granted by it.

Molecular Blade Distortion:
Requirements: Essence 4, Dexterity 5, MDPB
Cost: 1m or 3m [1m]
Duration: Until DVs refresh, or Scene (see below)
The prerequisite Charm is upgraded with Moonsilver grooves that lead to small transistors in the palms. Held items can shift and change as the Exalt requires. At any time she can use this to transform an item she is holding. For 1 mote she can change a weapon into a tool or non-magical weapon of the same cost (or less), lasting until her DVs refresh if in combat, or if she has the time to concentrate and focus on the task, lasting for the Scene or until dismissed. This can also be used to transform a wielded Artefact weapon into a different Artefact weapon of the same or lesser cost. By increasing the cost to 3 motes, she may also change the magical material type when doing so. Using this slows the arrack slightly, adding one tick to its Speed (unless already at 6).

Molecular Shell Distortion:
Requirements: Essence 5, Dexterity 5, MBD, IDRP
Cost: 10m 1 WP [2m]
Keywords: Obvious
Tiny fragments of all the magical metals are laid into the shell that makes up the Exalt's body. By activating this, she breaks into a cloud of tiny particles, with the exception of her Soulgem, all held together by a cloud of essence. Although her normal equipment is not affected by this, anything attuned to her is, as it is merely an extension of her body thanks to prerequisite charms. As a nano-swarm, she is immune to all attacks that don't come from Energy sources (which is considered a Flaw of Invulnerability), can move in any direction at her normal speed, even through solid objects (at half speed), and can engage in mass combat as a Magnitude 3 target. She does not benefit from any equipment while in this state, but has a special unarmed Swarm attack (Accuracy +0, 10+Essence damage, Speed 5, Defence -1, Piercing). For every five health levels worth of damage she deals in this way, she absorbs enough matter to reconstitute lost fragments and recover one level of Bashing or Lethal damage.

If knocked out or killed, the fragments slowly recombine to form a whole, starting around the Soulgem.

-

Oscillating Trauma Upgrade: (Essence 3 Intelligence 3)
[1m] 2m
Add a Crippling effect to an attack

Datahacking Blade Thruster: (Essence 3 Intelligence 3)
[1m] 3m
Misc Action to hack electronics or biotech or magitech or 5m Dramatic Action (Scene) to hack a Manse

Micro-Blade Distraction Array: (Essence 4 Intelligence 3, OTU, DBT)
[1m] 2m
Add ongoing Distraction to an attack, increase Wound Penalty by (Essence)

Link-Severing Trauma Array: (Essence 4 Intelligence 4, MBDA)
[1m] 4m 1 WP
Augment attack to erode an Intimacy (must hit MDV as well) or release all invested motes they have

Autonomous Trauma Detachment: (Essence 5 Intelligence 4, LSTA)
[1m] 1 WP and 10m invested
Leave blades continuing to deal damage and act on their own

"Correction of Miscreants Form"

Celestial Martial Art for Alchemical Exalted: Mirror of Laughing Wounds
Acceptance of Discipline = Sensuous Torment
Searing Punishment = Kiss of the Whip
Correction of Miscreants Form = Laughing Wounds Form
Instructive Punishment Method = Instructive Punishment Method
Penitent Tracking Brand = Brand of Obedience
Passing Through Discipline Prana = Insatiable Slave Stamina
Flowing With Impact Technique = Ecstatic Tenacity
Imposition of Restraint = Rapture in Chains
Position-Assuming Command = Groveling Penitence Prana
(Ravishing the Unworthy Heart will be replaced with something more appropriate)

Ons/Offs:

kongming

D&D: SOULED OUT

1. Level 8
2. Ability Scores: 32 points (8: 0 points, 9: 1, 10: 2 points, 11: 3 points, 12: 4 points, 13: 5 points, 14: 6 points, 15: 8 points, 16: 10 points, 17: 13 points, 18: 16 points)
3. Select who your patron is from below
4. You have eight magic items. 2 Moderate Items, 3 Minor Items, 3 Basic Items. At any time you may only have eight magic items attuned to you. Changing your attunements takes an hour.

"Fiendish Patrons"

Naxus: scheming contract-making Osyluth
This bone devil has a very gaunt appearance, as expected - he is an old grey leather stretched out across a skeleton, with a few fine hairs poking out. His tail is like that of a massive scorpion. He seems to always have a solution - and a price. He was the one who first contacted you all.

Kynn: Boisterous and long-winded Cornugon
As you might except, this horned devil is massive and bulky. His scaly skin is a deep blue, and his eyes are globes full of fire. Mighty horns jut outward and forwards, and his wings, arms and tail and huge as well. As typical for a Cornugon, he wields a vicious spiked chain. His oversized fangs don't really fit his mouth, jamming into his gums such that blood leaks out when he talks. He talks a lot.

Lerrus: Wheeling, Dealing, WOO!, Kiss-Stealing, Running, Hiding, Cauchemare-Riding Imp
Somehow he comes across as even smaller than normal for an Imp, hunched over and cowering half the time. However, he is pretty much covered in magical items, so despite looking pathetic, he clearly got something right, and is probably not to be underestimated. He does sometimes ride a Cauchemare, though he's about as big as its head. His long, ropey tail has a sharp stinger in the end.

Hrove: Cold, calculating, exceptionally cruel Gelugon
Hrove has the form of a massive insect, with a broad stance and very thick carapace. His eyes glow pink against his frosty blue chitin, and he always carries a spear that is far too big for him, ending in a massive drill. Wherever he goes, everything turns cold.

Shurne: Professional yet easily-angered Erinyes
Shurne is the typical crimson-haired, blue-skinned Erinyes with raven wings. Everything she does seems designed to tempt, yet she just barely manages to keep "the goods" covered, and seems to enjoy toying with people while making sure they know she's the boss. When people give in to her and accept her as being in charge, she makes things a little better for them. Still, her longsword is ever-sharp and made from fiendish green steel, and her longbow is always nearby, wreathed in flames.

Gyarvis: Red-With-Righteous-Anger, Ascetic-living Barbazu
His skin is crimson, making him always look furious, and his massive black beard is actually well-groomed. However, it is still as sharp as a collection of rapiers. He wears ceremonial armour, and carries a glaive with a wicked crescent blade.

Magic Items: See this

Basically, you can get a number that always scales nicely with your level, instead of having to hunt down a Hat of +4 to X when you outgrow your Hat of +2 to X. And items that are Minor or better get some kind of effect you can add to it, which makes it more interesting than just "being generically good".

Ons/Offs:

Green Goo Theory

Time to start working on the character.  We're all filling the character types (like the whip using martial artist) that you mentioned before? 
Coming soon...

kongming

You do choose one, yes, but people can choose the same role and leave others unfilled or whatever. And you are not required to keep advancing your specialist field - you can grab your basic starting bonus then run in another direction if that's what you want.

Ons/Offs:

Rajah

Faithful Knife of Infinity

Caste:Soulsteel
Archetype:Stalker
Motivation:Find a permanent control method for Dissonance.
Intimacies:
  • Freedom (+Repressed Desire)
  • Gremlin Syndrome (+Sick Fascination)
  • Music (+Love)
  • Design of Autochthon (+Conflicted Devotion)
  • The Populat (+Conflicted Devotion)
  • Sadomasochism (+Conflicted Devotion)
  • Apostates (-Berserk Hatred)
  • Orthodoxy (-Frustration)
  • Yugash (-Loathing)
Anima:A thick black fog bank made up of tiny glittering flakes of tarnished metal and obsidian rather than water vapor, lit intermittently with vicious flurries of sapphire lightning in the shape of Old Realm glyphs for unsolvable mathematical formulae and acts of breathtaking violence. The fog swirls in ominous silence except at these moments, agitated by the lightning into a spark-throwing nightmare of jagged ore crashing against itself and filling the air with the screams of tortured metal and the sharp scents of iron and blood.
Birthday:21st of Ascendant Water
Height:5'6"
Weight:452 lbs
Skin:Pale and silken | Armored soulsteel husk
Hair:Night-dark | Moonsilver fiber sheaths
Eyes:Deep ale brown | Orichalcum mirror-nodes

SOMA: Past Lives
A Lumpen man whose name has frustrated Autochthonia's generally meticulous record-keeping, found impaled by an Apostate's Essence-Seeking Siphon some distance from the Apostate itself. He was apparently able to beat the horror to death with a heavy steel wrench when he discovered it badly wounded and drained of Essence in the maintenance vent he'd been sent to repair, though not before it tore out most of his intestines and replaced them with nearly two feet of soulsteel spike.

A Lector of the Theomachracy of Yugash, whose tireless work to maintain morale faced its greatest challenge when a diplomatic gala she attended was seized by a gremlin-backed Voidbringer cult. Forced into a suit of Metsubo Gremlin Armor, she was able to commit suicide during her integration process - but not before successfully inspiring the rest of the party to do likewise, denying the cult its victory plans and saving the city from the torment and humiliation of having to hunt down local leaders and foreign dignitaries alike.

A shift chief of the Populat who was able to devise a plan to streamline her home metropolis' industry toward shipping resources out to other cities, accelerating its demise due to fouled Essence reservoirs but allowing Claslat as a whole to recover much-needed magical materials  and infrastructural components. She was executed by the metropolis under the pretext of special sanctions enacted in times of civil unrest despite having gone through all the proper channels, but her plan had been sound and later investigators agreed that she had been correct in challenging the city's increasingly selfish self-preservation efforts.
SARX: Personal History
Faithful Knife of Infinity came online seven years ago today, commissioned in response to rising desperation in Nurad, which at the time was enduring an unprecedented wave of assaults by the massed armies of the Void. Knife's methodical infiltration and execution of Voidbringer cults was instrumental in easing the growing paranoia and terror of the Populat enough to open the channels for aid requests and allow foreign military forces to move through Nurad without undue difficulty from fearful natives. As part of the terms of Yugash's dispatch to the beleagured nation, several of Nurad's champions were sent to Yugash to provide intelligence and specialist services as needed, including Knife.

During this period, Knife was given opportunities to socialize and explore far in excess of their focused, militant upbringing in Nurad. They even managed to fall in love. When the exchange ended, Knife was recalled and chose duty over affection - a choice they later came to regret, once when they discovered for the first time the agony of loss and uncrossable distances as Yugash separated from Nurad, and again when, some years later, Knife found that their lover and fellow Champion had become an Apostate in service to what he called "the true purpose of Autochthonia." Knife requested, and was denied, permission to transfer themself to Yugash and handle the hunt personally - a Yugash Assembly was given the task instead, which they completed without difficulty and without sympathy (or perhaps with too much), further denying Knife information relating to the hunt or to their ex-lover's destruction.

It was about this time that Knife's particular quirks began to emerge.
PSYCHE: Inner Directives
Faithful Knife of Infinity is talkative, but never offensively so - they're quiet and generally on point, and seem not to mind being ignored or tuned out as they examine a situation or mull over some aspect of Creation or Autochthonia. They seem somewhat absent the impressive presence and aesthetic design common to most Champions, but Knife is usually so friendly and easy to get along with that they create an equivalent atmosphere within only a little time spent getting to know them.

That all changes when confronted with the Void.

Faithful Knife of Infinity is not Orichalcum or Moonsilver - they are a Soulsteel Caste, and Autochthon's most relentless hunters are not Exalted for their sunny dispositions. Knife has a fanatic and pathological hatred for apostasy and all that it entails, and seems to regard the extended torture, dismemberment, and execution of enemies of the Design of Autochthon with the same overabundant zeal mortals typically display towards long-unrequited love finally consummated or the twilight opus of a life's devoted artifice. They revel in it. It has become a cause for concern, even prompting whispers that Knife themself may be infected.

No aspect of this distressing predilection has been allowed to carry over into Knife's interactions with the rest of the world, however, not even their personal sex life - and it's been checked. Knife has earned no less than four full theopsychological surveys and three investigations, two of which were performed covertly and all of which utilized surveillance aid from other Champions. Knife has shown clean every time, and as the first teams to enter Creation are formally sanctioned, they've been selected both as an apology for mistrust and to keep the Soulsteel Caste's predilections from further disturbing members of the Tripartite forced to read the official reports. It is hoped that they will find some measure of inner peace in Creation, and assumed that if there is one thing Knife is not, it's vulnerable to any actual corruption.

These are terrible mistakes. Faithful Knife of Infinity is perfectly functional, perfectly restrained, and perfectly willing to defend and serve both the human race and their Primordial architect. Faithful Knife of Infinity is also, unfortunately, insane.

Since the death of their first and so far only real emotional connection, Knife has become obsessed with controlling and manipulating Gremlin Syndrome rather than merely destroying it, and at some point crossed over into the heresy that it represents an essential part of Autochthon rather than aberrant disease - that it must be harnessed and not purged. Worse, only part of their conclusions are based on theology and experience; Knife is becoming increasingly aware that they no longer have total control over the intensity of their needs, and suspects that something in their nature is inherently dissonant - a grinding soul-component whose constant wear and tear could be abated, they are certain, if they could only find ways to give it proper outlet...safely, of course.

No one has ever found a safe method of courting Dissonance, though. And now Creation looms vast and vulnerable, full of horrors and creatures of the Void, and the oversight Knife has always consciously worked to appease is so terribly distant, its reach feeble. Anything could be out there: answers, victory, corruption, salvation, damnation, annihilation...despite their cognitive bias, Knife does understand that something is going wrong with them, and whatever they do they can't maintain stasis and hope to survive with mind and soul intact. If there's hope of any kind, it's somewhere in the Wyld-ravaged lands of Creation, and they mean to go find it.

Note: Faithful Knife of Infinity does not actually have Gremlin Syndrome and has never installed a Voidtech component. They're just a little crazy.

THEME MUSIC

Christina Perri - Human
Origa - Rise

Rajah

Comments and questions and stuff welcome.

My questions: how do you feel about Revlid's Mutations?

Empyrean

I like Knife. She's going to be fun to play with. ^_^

And my Dervish is coming along.

Rajah

1) Who's still interested in these games?
2) Is the ST still interested in these games?

kongming

Yes, I am still interested, just been waiting for people to post, then got busy at work for a moment.

Anyway, Knife is certainly not what I was expecting, and I mean that in a good way. Should be fun.

I've had a skim over the mutations document, but haven't gone in-depth into it. Basically, I'm okay with the general idea, but ask me about any specific things you want, so I can read those ones.

Ons/Offs:

Empyrean

Question: What will be the base for the Alchemical's entry into Creation? As in, where are we starting? Would they have claimed Denandsor for example?

Rajah

Quote from: Empyrean on August 08, 2014, 03:47:24 PMWould they have claimed Denandsor for example?

"Not that I really want to go to Denandsor or anything."  :P

Empyrean

:p

Although, the Jewel of the True Self from it's manse might be helpful against the Wyld.

Empyrean

Here's my first draft of my character, minus the mechanical bits. And a picture of her unarmored.

History and Personality: Transcendentally Elegant Insight awakened to life in the metropolis of Qune several years ago. From the moment she drew breath, Insight knew that she was meant to help her people in their time of greatest crisis. She knew that there was something momentous to the times and she wanted to be a part of it. She didn't know how, at first though. Insight knew only that Autochthonia was in danger and that it was the role of a Champion to protect the people in times of crisis. Her sense of heroic duty and destiny drove her out early into the Reaches. She knew that Jarish faced danger from without and within, but she felt that in the Reaches she could do the most good for her people. She could secure needed resources, battle gremlins, and express her faith in the Maker by helping to restore his vital functions. At heart, Insight is a fervent believer in the mercy and goodness of Autochthon. She strives to be an inspiration to her fellows, trying to exemplify Jarishite faith as a panacea to her world's ills. She strongly believes in the concepts of love, romance, and faith both as personal guidelines for herself and as means to try and save her world.

Insight spent the first two years of her life accompanying Harvester and Conductor patrols on trips into the Reaches. She realized early that standing and fighting wasn't her strong suit. She preferred a light and flexible approach to combat, and devoted herself to learning the Thousand Wounds Gear style so she could better protect her people. She would have happily continued to protect her people in the Reaches but she was recalled by the Tripartite for a more urgent matter. A Voidbringer sect, long festering within the nation, launched a direct attack on Jast. They stormed the Tripartite Assembly Hall, killed the High Celebrant, and attempted a complete takeover. Insight, responding to the distress call along with all available Champions, helped to drive off the Voidbringers, their gremlins, and the Apostates who had commanded them. Insight was personally responsible for two dozen confirmed kills and criticially wounding Final Gasp of the Forlorn Gear, a vicious Apostate.

Jarish went into a period of reflection and inward focus after the attack, and Insight found herself working with the preceptors a great deal to root out heresy. She found that the memories of one of her past lives helped her, but she also found herself growing detached from the people, and this worried her. She feared the siren song of Clarity and began cultivating mortal relationships to avoid it.

This led her to Chiara. Chiara was a young lector assigned to assist her in her heretic-hunting duties. The two became close, then became lovers. Insight would have been happy to spent the rest of Chiara's days with her, pursuing heresy and helping their nation. But as their investigations deepened, they uncovered more heresy. More Voidbringers. More evidence of Autochthon's looming demise. They did what they could to help their people but it never seemed to be enough. They felt despair closing in.

Then Yugash opened a portal to the long-forgotten origin world: Creation. Insight was hesitant at first. She didn't think they should tamper with the holy land of their distant ancestors. But when the reports started coming back of Creation's woes, she realized that it too was a world that needed heroes. She came to believe that the two worlds could save each other. With the creation of a new assembly of Alchemicals at home, Insight found herself transferred to the Yugashi project as part of Jarish's contribution to the effort. She quickly made a name for herself as a capable warrior and inspirational leader. Her only request was that Chiara be allowed to come with her. However, when Insight was assigned to the newest strike team to enter Creation, she learned that they would be separated. Insight strives to do her duty but part of her mind is always back in Autochthonia with her love.

Past Lives: There was once a lector in Gulak who looked upon the heretical ideas brought about by the mixing of clades and took a stand. She used her plays and her boundless charisma to rally the Populat and her fellow lectors. She carried the flame of orthodoxy and righteousness to the highest levels of Gulaki governance and started a reformist movement that convinced the High Celebrant to institute sweeping changes that restored orthodoxy in the name of the Great Maker.

A regulator in Estasia once discovered a secret club amongst the Venatore that conspired to coopt the Scholars in order to produce new and extravagantly costly weapons. This young man risked career and even his very life to expose the club and bring the renegade Venatore to justice. And he succeeded, even at the cost of an eye and an arm, in bringing them down.

Once there was a preceptor in Nurad, who, on a hunch, followed the suspicions of a lector about a certain foreman. It took months of investigation and piecing together clues, but eventually the aging preceptor followed the trail to a Voidbringer cult nested deep within the Populat. Rather than rally the regulators and risk open war in the streets, the preceptor subverted a cultist and discovered where they were assembling. Then he redirected a flow of molten metal upon the cultists and removed the cult in a single strike though he died in the process.

A Harvester in Jarish was on a routine foraging mission in the Reaches when her team came under assault by gremlins. The gremlins were fierce and sudden, destroying half the party before they knew what was on them. The Harvester, seeing her friends die, grabbed a power conduit in her bare hand, and touched the floor of the chamber with her other, using her own body to create an electric circuit that fried the gremlins and saved her team.

Intimacies: Chiara (love)
                  Romantic Idealism (positive)
                  Autochthon (admiration and religious devotion)
                  Runel (admiration and religious devotion)
                  The Void and it's champions (hatred)
                  Creation (deep concern)

kongming

"Minus the mechanical bits". In a game about Alchemicals. Also, do I see a Gremlins reference with the electrocution of the gremlins at the end there? Either way, your character history looks good there.

Anyway, to answer the previous question, the Gate that opened was at Lord's Crossing Dominion. There are Autochthonian outposts at Arjuf, Chanos and Werck. It appears that what was once the Imperial City is still inhabited - it was one of the warded places that is currently free from corruption, and if someone could make peaceful contact, a lot of knowledge might be preserved...

No outposts have been established off the Blessed Isle, but others have managed to get to the Northernmost of the Southern Direction, and the Southernmost of the Northern Direction, and reported back. So such places can be reached.

Ons/Offs:

Muse

Sorry I'm taking so long, Kong-chan! 

We only have one concept so far, right? 

Rajah

Two. Faithful Knife of Infinity, a gremlin hunter struggling with inner demons, and Transcendentally Elegant Insight, a lovelorn theophilanthropist. I'm toying with stuff for Souled Out but it looks like the other interested parties for that one have dropped off. Possibly my fault for posting an Alchemical first.

Alright, questions!

1) So, about the Stalker Charms. Most of your sketches are pretty clear how they're meant to work, but a couple I'm less clear on. Image-Refracting Projector sounds like a better version of Optical Shroud. Molecular Blade Distortion; what is being changed? A weapon provided by the Charm? What's the Crippling effect Oscillating Trauma Upgrade inflicts? They all sound amazing, by the way.

2) Can I use Plague of Hats' Tiger Style rewrite as Destroyer Style, emulating the berserker exmachina native to the Great Maker?

3) Since we're in Creation, what happens to the Class background? Vanishes, sublimates into Resources instead?

EDIT: Muse, it looks like Insight is no longer doing Live Wire Style in favor of Thousand Wounds Gear, and Knife is all about ripping people to pieces with razor claws, so that's open for you if you're still interested in it. Not that we couldn't have had two whip-dervishes, it'd just have been a little dangerous what with all the electrified nanomolecular edges in the air.  :P

kongming

I'll flesh the charms out once I get home from work, but I was going for in-combat stealth (ala crystal chameleon style), and the crippling would be limb amputation, spinal damage anx the like - or you could pull your punches to just leave permanent scars in the pattern you choose. Yes, you could etch a full story into their skin for all eternity. Blade distortion lets you change a wielded weapon so you can benefit from specific traits as needed - reach, piercing, more accurate or damaging, whatever.

I'm fine with adapting Tiger Style, yeah. PoH is a dick in person, but he wrote decent stuff for Exalted, with knowledge of the system.

You keep Class for the purpose of your Autochthonian interactions,  but they pay you based on this so you effectivelg have Resources equal to your Class.

Ons/Offs:

Empyrean

So I'm fleshing out the mechanical side of Insight and I was wondering if there's going to be extensive travel involved? I was considering whether or not to invest in a Windblade or Wings of the Raptor.

Also, I'm not sure if you ever answered but would it be possible to purchase Celestial Battle Armor? And if so, to purchase Soulsteel armor with the Oblivion's Panoply feature (from Wonders of the Lost Age).

Rajah

Quote from: kongming on August 11, 2014, 10:55:58 PM
I'll flesh the charms out once I get home from work, but I was going for in-combat stealth (ala crystal chameleon style), and the crippling would be limb amputation, spinal damage anx the like - or you could pull your punches to just leave permanent scars in the pattern you choose. Yes, you could etch a full story into their skin for all eternity. Blade distortion lets you change a wielded weapon so you can benefit from specific traits as needed - reach, piercing, more accurate or damaging, whatever.

Awesome! Optical Shroud does allow in-combat stealth once you've bought out Dynamic Cloaking all the way (usually 10xp; it no longer deactivates with any movement, and 'attacking' is specifically named as a subset of movement in the Charm text), but the other two sound great. Etching an identification number and crime code into someone's face is so Soulsteel Caste.  :P

QuoteI'm fine with adapting Tiger Style, yeah. PoH is a dick in person, but he wrote decent stuff for Exalted, with knowledge of the system.

Not the first fallen idol.  :-( Sometimes I feel like the less I know about people who produce content I enjoy, the happier I'll be. That whole thing was awful, but then EX3E's been making a pretty concerted effort to move away from bad concepts and bad influences both, so I guess it's best it happened when it did.

Do love the rewrites, though.

I'll hopefully have a finished sheet up tomorrow.

Quote from: EmpyreanAlso, I'm not sure if you ever answered but would it be possible to purchase Celestial Battle Armor? And if so, to purchase Soulsteel armor with the Oblivion's Panoply feature (from Wonders of the Lost Age).

She did answer - yes, with a note to remember only full-armor martial arts can handle CBA; Thousand Wounds Gear Style is one such so you should be alright. Post right after you asked, at the tippy-top. Don't forget your Fivefold Harmonic Adapter and 3-dot Manse or Elemental Core.

kongming

Quote from: Rajah on August 12, 2014, 12:35:21 AMEtching an identification number and crime code into someone's face is so Soulsteel Caste.  :P

Precisely!

Quotebut then EX3E's been making a pretty concerted effort to move away from bad concepts and bad influences both, so I guess it's best it happened when it did.

I stopped paying attention when they wanted something like $100 just to get a hardcopy of the rules, and when they thought people might like a preview about rape ghosts.

Empyrean: yep, as noted above.

I'll admit that when I said Scarlet Blade, I was hoping the team would look something like:

So despite one character being fully clad in mecha gear and another being creepy and faceless, I'll just overwrite that in my imagination when reading posts.

Ons/Offs:

Rajah

Knife totally has faces! The ones to their left and right are male/female respectively with Integrated Artifact Transmogrifier active, depending on their most recent use of Husk-Sculpting Apparatus' self-sculpt. The middle's just their I'm-not-putting-on-makeup-for-this face.

Muse

*laughs* 

Okay, Kong-chan, you've inspired me! 

One undressed Orichalum caste girl starting up.  :)

Muse

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FhSa7fmDuefWXaC1pQcCrwgMSplIUyplnWaG_cYaywk/edit

Incomprably Radiant Targe will be a compassionate warrior with the 'protector' package.  Her empathy for every living thing gives her the strength to vanquish that which is evil--and makes her a bit hot headed. 

Edit: 
When using a Power Mace, does anyone know what skill is rolled to attack with the essence beam? 

Targe is from Nurad  Her dedication to protecting the populate--along with her strength and beauty--have made her a favorite subject of prayer during state approved adulation of the Chosen. 

Teo Torriatte

Rajah

Quote from: Muse on August 12, 2014, 07:28:03 AMEdit: 
When using a Power Mace, does anyone know what skill is rolled to attack with the essence beam? 

Archery.

Quote from: LunaIs there any more room for the alchemical game?

There's only three people so far, and six packages suggests preparation for at least that many players, so presumably.

Empyrean

Can we get bonus BP from merits and flaws? Also, I reworked Insight as a Jade.

Re Z L

A&A

Re Z L

Hmmm...  I may be getting a Starmetal together using the Warden kit...

What do you think about TDO's rewrite of Laughing Wounds Style?  (included here since it took me like an hour to track it down)

Kiss of the Whip

Cost:  2m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 4; Type:  Reflexive (Step 1)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Stackable
Duration:  Instant
Prerequisites:  None

With a predatory smile, the martial artist lashes her foe with vicious exactitude, making him cry out in shocked agony. If an unarmed attack enhanced by this Charm hits its target, it deals no damage. Instead, that character suff ers a Crippling e ffect, increasing the wound penalty he su ffers by -1 for the rest of the scene. Multiple uses of this Charm stack their penalties to a maximum of (Martial Arts).

Sensuous Torment

Cost:  3m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 2; Type:  Reflexive (Step 9)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Counterattack
Duration:  One Tick
Prerequisites:  None

The martial artist thrills to the torment that her pitiful enemies fear. This Charm can be activated in response to any attack that hits the martial artist, even if it does not successfully deal damage. She is overwhelmed by a wash of ecstatic essence, numbing her body to all pain. The martial artist gains bashing and lethal Hardness 20 against all attacks for the rest of the tick.

Laughing Wounds Form

Cost:  6m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 4; Type:  Simple
Keywords:  Form-Type
Duration:  One scene
Prerequisites:  Kiss of the Whip, Sensuous Torment

Even as blood runs down her skin, the martial artist laughs savagely, whirling undaunted through battle like a scarlet-streaked demon. While this Charm is active, any wound penalties the martial artist suff ers are not applied to combat-related actions, unless she attacks or defends with a non-form weapon. Whenever she makes an unarmed attack, she adds the magnitude of any wound penalties suff ered by the attack's target to her raw damage. Finally, she may pay a level of lethal damage in place of a point of Willpower to channel Conviction or Valor. If she su ffers a wound penalty of -4 or greater, she need not expend a channel of the chosen Virtue when doing so.

Instructive Punishment Method

Cost:  4m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 1 for attacker, Step 2 for defender)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Emotion
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Form

The proper application of pain swiftly teaches weaklings how to serve. The martial artist may activate this Charm whenever an enemy attempts to attack her, defend against an unarmed attack made by her, or attempts to defend against mental influence exerted by her. With a crack of her whip or a menacing glance, she terrifi es the fool who dares defy her, causing them to suff er a -3 internal penalty on the action.  This is considered to be a wound penalty. If, within the same scene, the martial artist has dealt damage to the penalized character or imposed a Crippling e ffect on them with her unarmed attacks, this penalty is external. A character may pay a point of Willpower to resist all instances of this unnatural mental influence for the rest of their action.

Brand of Obedience

Cost:  3m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 3, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 7)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Obvious
Duration:  Indefinite
Prerequisites:  Instructive Punishment Method

The martial artist truly owns her pathetic disciples, and can mark them as hers if she deems them worthy. If an unarmed attack enhanced by this Charm deals damage or inflicts a Crippling e ffect on the martial artist's foe, she leaves behind a dis figuring scar or an ugly welt. So long as she commits the motes spent on this Crippling e ffect, the wound is enchanted as a symbol of authority, and glimmers with the Old Realm rune for "Mine" if observed with essence sight. If a marked character attempts to attack the martial artist, defend against one of her unarmed attacks, or defend against mental influence exerted by her, she may choose to punish them for their disobedience by paying a single mote. The mark glows red and burns their skin, dealing (Essence) dice of lethal damage to them as a secondary Crippling e ffect. This damage ignores soak and Hardness from armor. Once the martial artist breaks her commitment to this Charm, the magic fades from the scar, though it remains until it is healed naturally.

Insatiable Slave Stamina

Cost:  4m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive
Keywords:  Combo-OK
Duration:  One scene
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Form

Grinning as black bruises darken her skin, the martial artist demonstrates an even greater appetite for pain than she expects from her slaves. So long as this Charm remains active, the martial artist does not fall unconscious if reduced to Incapacitated by bashing damage. Instead, she remains fully aware and active, with further levels of bashing damage being converted to lethal normally. Furthermore, she may soak lethal damage with her full Stamina, and adds an amount equal to the magnitude of any wound penalties she suff ers to her bashing and lethal soak.

Ecstatic Tenacity

Cost:  8m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 7)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Obvious
Prerequisites:  Insatiable Slave Stamina

The most terrible wounds mean less than nothing to one who has re fined her tastes for agony. This Charm can be activated in response to any attack, reducing its raw and final damage to zero. However, this Charm does not prevent the martial artist from su ffering, instead converting the damage to a Crippling eff ect that increases the wound penalties she su ffers by -1 for the rest of the scene. Multiple uses of this Charm stack their penalties. This drawback is considered to be a unique Flaw of Invulnerability.

Rapture in Chains

Cost:  3m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Supplemental
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Emotion
Duration:  Until released
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Style

Victims restrained by the martial artist find themselves unwilling to break free.  If an unarmed clinch attack enhanced by this Charm succeeds, the martial artist's whip or chains seem to come alive as they twine around her foe, slipping into impossible knots of painful tightness. Whenever the grappled enemy rolls to establish control of the clinch, any wound penalties that apply to his roll are converted to external penalties. In addition, each time the martial artist would successfully deal damage to a clinched opponent by crushing him, she may instead cause him to lose a point of Willpower as an Emotion eff ect. If a character is reduced to zero Willpower while clinched, he gains an Intimacy of submissive lust towards the martial artist.

Groveling Penitence Prana

Cost:  7m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 3, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Compulsion
Prerequisites:  Rapture in Chains

Daring to oppose the mistress's will is like begging for humiliation. The martial artist may activate this Charm whenever she holds a clinched enemy, rolling (Charisma or Manipulation + Martial Arts) as a reflexive social attack against his Dodge MDV. If the martial artist's roll succeeds, her foe falls to his knees in submission. He is incapable of acting for the rest of the scene as if he were clinched, even if the martial artist releases him from her clutches. This unnatural mental influence can be resisted for a cost of three Willpower.

Ravishing the Unworthy Heart

Cost:  10m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 4, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Supplemental
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Obvious, Servitude
Prerequisites:  Brand of Obedience, Ecstatic Tenacity, Groveling Penitence Prana

Shaping her lips into a kiss, the martial artist reaches forward to stroke her foe's chest. Then, with a grinning snarl, she plunges her hand through his ribs to rip out his heart. An unarmed attack supplemented by this Charm deals aggravated damage, leaving behind smoldering welts or bloody scars. In addition, if the martial artist's target su ffers a wound penalty that exceeds their (Valor), then the attack is unblockable and undodgeable. If the penalty exceeds their (Valor + 3), it is also unexpected. Characters that have no temporary Willpower always su ffer from an attack that is unblockable, undodgeable, and unexpected. If an attack enhanced by this Charm would slay the martial artist's enemy, she is faced with a choice. If she wishes, she may execute him, pulling out his heart with her bare hands or the tip of her whip in a gruesome fatality. A more merciful mistress, however, may choose to cancel all damage past her foe's Incapacitated health level in order to impose a Servitude e ffect on her victim. The victim's Motivation is replaced with a new Motivation of obeying the martial artist. Characters enslaved by this Charm may pay two Willpower to resist it for one scene, and are freed once they have spent a total of ten Willpower resisting this unnatural mental influence.
A&A

kongming

Luna, Re Z L: Yes, there is still space for others if you want in.
Empyrean: you can spend BP on merits or get BP from flaws, yeah. Limit of 7 BP gained from Flaws, and run any merits and flaws past me first.
Re Z L: having looked over the re-write, there are enough differences there that I'll allow anyone to take one version or the other - you can't learn both versions, and you can't pick and mix. That seems fairest.

Ons/Offs:

Teo Torriatte

Im looking at working on a moonsilver. More details forthcoming.

Muse

Muse

Is anyone taking the Medic package? 

If so maybe I shuold back off on my healing charms?  I didn't even realize their WAS a medic package when I took them. 

Re Z L

A&A

Muse

Hey Kong-chan.  :)  Should we be taking some followers, either for military purposes or in the form of engineers?  (Or both.) 

I know Targe can't do her own maintenance.  And we are far from home. 

Hm...  I was just going to give her a swift rider, but maybe her artifact background can also support some kind of magitech transport and some engineers? 

Edit: 

Would the battlefield's of Autchathon be big enough to support a Battle Carrier or even an indomitable conquest platform?    Erm, I mean Mobile Fabrication Platform. 

Do alchemcials have training charms?  And/or is Autochathon's educational system good enough to justify followers who are engineers, crossbowmen, and soldier enough to defend their stations in hand to hand? 

Rajah

I'm taking Savant so I can maintain my Repair 2 armor. I don't know how much Repair you're talking about but if it's 2 or under Knife can handle it.

Empyrean

I was thinking of taking two Flaws.

1.) Enemy: Final Gasp of the Forlorn Gear. The Apostate Starmetal that she crippled during the Voidbringer attack on Jast. Final Gasp lost a leg and a hand, but still managed to get to safety when her Void cultists carried her out of the Tripartite Assembly Hall as they retreated. Final Gasp has neither forgotten nor forgiven the impudent young Jade who crippled her and helped thwart the Voidbringer ascension. She's made it her business to stalk, hunt, and try to kill Insight on no less than five occassions in the years since the failed assault. Final Gasp is a cunning, analytical, and strategic foe when she's thinking logically, but devolves into berserker rages when defeated or in the throes of dissonance. (5 pt. Flaw)

2.) Vice: Sweets. Ever since she got a taste of sweets imported from Creation, she's been hooked. (1 or 2 pt. Flaw).

Also, there's an artifact called the Wondrous Globe of Precious Stability in Wonders of the Lost Age. Basically, it creates a pocket of Creation that Raksha can't affect, and the field is big enough to protect a skyship or building. It also gives five dice to resist any Raksha charm. There are about 34 and the Realm has 18. The Lunars discovered some as well. The Realm can't replicate them because they use all five magical materials. I'm wondering if the Autochthonians would have confiscated or made any new ones for use in Wyld-tainted Creation, and if so could one of us purchase one?

Re Z L

A&A

Muse

kongming

The bases have humans that can handle basic engineering and repairs, as well as "trained mortal" level of combat. You won't need to take Followers, but doing so means you actually have your own loyal retinue and can choose their traits based on what you want from them.

Empyrean: I am okay with both flaws, though a Vice for sweets is just one point unless it leads you to plan all missions for the purpose of raiding sweet stores and such. The artefact... Autochthonia does not have one yet, but if you discovered one and brought it back for replication, they would be very appreciative.

Ons/Offs:

Muse

Cool. 

Is a Battle Carrier appropriate tech for Autochathon? 

I'm helping Luna with her punisher.  Were those charms supposed to pair with a specific archer weapon? 

When you talk about the charm that 'links' the weapon, does that mean it's built into her?  Or do we  use the preexisting charms for that?  (Trancendent Multimodal Artifact Matrix.) 

kongming

Battle Carriers are appropriate - remember that at Essence 6+ Alchemical Exalts become massive.

For archery I would recommend either Assault or Onslaught crossbows (Alchemical book) or the various firearms in things like the Gunstar Autochthonia book.

The link is more a magical or mental one. You'd need to use other charms for a physical link.

Ons/Offs:

Muse

Quote from: kongming on August 14, 2014, 09:22:56 PM
Battle Carriers are appropriate - remember that at Essence 6+ Alchemical Exalts become massive.

For archery I would recommend either Assault or Onslaught crossbows (Alchemical book) or the various firearms in things like the Gunstar Autochthonia book.

The link is more a magical or mental one. You'd need to use other charms for a physical link.

*smiles*  thank you for clarifying.  I think Luna wanted an essence cannon, but I was curious what themes you wanted for the Punisher. 

kongming

Yeah, Essence Cannons are fine. They have a high base damage value, but given the usage costs (and number of charms that boost melee rather than ranged), it should be balanced.

Ons/Offs:

Re Z L

Vague ideas of the direction I'm going at the moment so people have an idea of what I'm doing:

Pictures

Charms

Alchemical Charms:
Perfected Lotus Matrix
Accelerated Response System (dodge)
Sixth Intelligence Augmentation (Int+Craft)
First Dexterity Augmentation
Second Manipulation Augmentation
Transcendent Multimodal Artifact Matrix (Monofilament Scourge)
Omnitool IMplant
Rogue Cell Isolation Protocols
Dynamic Reaction Enhancement
Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations
Paramagnetic Tether Beam
Precalculated Evasion System
Fourth Appearance Augmentation
Tanspuissant Dexterity Upgrade
Creator Fugue Construction Engines
Second Intelligence Augmentation

Martial Arts Charms:
Acceptance of Discipline (Sensuous Torment)
Searing Punishment (Kiss of the Whip)
Correction of Miscreants Form (Laughing Wounds Form)
A&A

Rajah

Faithful Knife of Infinity is pretty much 100% infiltration and ripping faces off. All of Tiger Style except for Spine-Shattering Bite and the capstone, Piston-Driven Megaton Hammer and Essence Corona Irradiation, and then everything else is the usual husk-sculpting identity-recalibrating thousandfold-courtesan-calculating medley (and their Stalker Charms, of course) for being totally inconspicuous until the stabbing starts.

Muse

Quote from: kongming on August 14, 2014, 09:36:59 PM
Yeah, Essence Cannons are fine. They have a high base damage value, but given the usage costs (and number of charms that boost melee rather than ranged), it should be balanced.

Actually, I was going to ask if we could give  Beam a Small Essence Cannon instead of Very Small and still intigrate it into her arm? 

Failing that, should I downgrade the Power Mace a little? 

Muse

For Alchemicals, do stackable charms all occupy the same charm slot?  Or am I just being confused? 

Re Z L

Quote from: Muse on August 15, 2014, 12:44:03 AM
For Alchemicals, do stackable charms all occupy the same charm slot?  Or am I just being confused?

No, they each need their own charm slot, if you're thinking of things like their Ox-Body.  Some Stackable charms just stack the effects of multiple activations.

Charm Slots, while neat, are really mostly just kind of annoying.  Especially when you start needing to take prerequisite charms and install them just to have access to the actual one you wanted to use   >:(
A&A

Empyrean

And here's what I have for Insight both fluff and mechanics wise.

Name: Transcendentally Elegant Insight
Caste: Jade
Anima: A whirling series of gears, each a different color of jade, and each with a staring eye in the center that swirls about to observe everything around and behind them.

Caste Attributes

Stamina 4
Charisma 4
Wits 3

Favored Attributes

Strength 4
Dexterity 4
Perception 3

Tertiary Attributes

Appearance 4
Intelligence 2
Manipulation 1

Abilities

Martial Arts 5
Performance 3
Linguistics 2 (Old Realm, Autochthonic, High Realm)
Integrity 4
Presence 3
Survival 3
Awareness 3
Resistance 4
Dodge 4

Backgrounds (0/10)

Class 4
Artifact 3: Adamant Gyroscopic Chakram (free)
Manse 4 (Candent Carbuncle)
Manse 5 (Iron Soul Stone)
Manse 3 (Adder Eye Stone)
Artifact 5 (Soulsteel Celestial Battle Armor (Oblivion's Panoply, Enhanced Healing), Essence Capacitor (3-dotx3 with Trisocket adapter), Jade Fivefold Harmonic Adapter x2)
Artifact 2 (Jade Wings of the Raptor, Moonsilver Trinket of Dignified Conduct)
Eidolon 3

Virtues

Compassion 3
Conviction 2
Valor 2
Temperance 2

Willpower 7

Permanent Essence: 4
Peripheral Essence: 51 (26/51 committed)
Dedicated Charm Slots: 4
General Charm Slots: 10

Dedicated Charms: Fourth Stamina Augmentation, Strain-Resistant Chassis Modification, Subcutaneous Armor Plating, Industrial Survival Frame (Crystal)

General Charms: Perfected Lotus Matrix, The Circle Screams, Gear Catches Gear Defense, Thousand Wounds Gear Form, Secondary Sensory Upgrades (Tympanal Receptor Nodes), Fourth Dexterity Augmentation, Fourth Strength Augmentation, Multiphase Divinity Regulator, Auxillary Essence Storage Unit, Fourth Perception Augmentation

In Storage: Optical Enhancement (Crossphase Scanners x2, Ultraperipheral Awareness)

BP: 0/18
25xp (Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Charm Slot, 1xp left)
Flaws: Enemy (Final Gasp of the Forlorn Gear), Vice: Sweets

History and Personality: Transcendentally Elegant Insight awakened to life in the metropolis of Qune several years ago. From the moment she drew breath, Insight knew that she was meant to help her people in their time of greatest crisis. She knew that there was something momentous to the times and she wanted to be a part of it. She didn't know how, at first though. Insight knew only that Autochthonia was in danger and that it was the role of a Champion to protect the people in times of crisis. Her sense of heroic duty and destiny drove her out early into the Reaches. She knew that Jarish faced danger from without and within, but she felt that in the Reaches she could do the most good for her people. She could secure needed resources, battle gremlins, and express her faith in the Maker by helping to restore his vital functions. At heart, Insight is a fervent believer in the mercy and goodness of Autochthon. She strives to be an inspiration to her fellows, trying to exemplify Jarishite faith as a panacea to her world's ills. She strongly believes in the concepts of love, romance, and faith both as personal guidelines for herself and as means to try and save her world.

Insight spent the first two years of her life accompanying Harvester and Conductor patrols on trips into the Reaches. She realized early that standing and fighting wasn't her strong suit. She preferred a light and flexible approach to combat, and devoted herself to learning the Thousand Wounds Gear style so she could better protect her people. She would have happily continued to protect her people in the Reaches but she was recalled by the Tripartite for a more urgent matter. A Voidbringer sect, long festering within the nation, launched a direct attack on Jast. They stormed the Tripartite Assembly Hall, killed the High Celebrant, and attempted a complete takeover. Insight, responding to the distress call along with all available Champions, helped to drive off the Voidbringers, their gremlins, and the Apostates who had commanded them. Insight was personally responsible for two dozen confirmed kills and criticially wounding Final Gasp of the Forlorn Gear, a vicious Apostate.

Jarish went into a period of reflection and inward focus after the attack, and Insight found herself working with the preceptors a great deal to root out heresy. She found that the memories of one of her past lives helped her, but she also found herself growing detached from the people, and this worried her. She feared the siren song of Clarity and began cultivating mortal relationships to avoid it.

This led her to Chiara. Chiara was a young lector assigned to assist her in her heretic-hunting duties. The two became close, then became lovers. Insight would have been happy to spent the rest of Chiara's days with her, pursuing heresy and helping their nation. But as their investigations deepened, they uncovered more heresy. More Voidbringers. More evidence of Autochthon's looming demise. They did what they could to help their people but it never seemed to be enough. They felt despair closing in.

Then Yugash opened a portal to the long-forgotten origin world: Creation. Insight was hesitant at first. She didn't think they should tamper with the holy land of their distant ancestors. But when the reports started coming back of Creation's woes, she realized that it too was a world that needed heroes. She came to believe that the two worlds could save each other. With the creation of a new assembly of Alchemicals at home, Insight found herself transferred to the Yugashi project as part of Jarish's contribution to the effort. She quickly made a name for herself as a capable warrior and inspirational leader. Her only request was that Chiara be allowed to come with her. However, when Insight was assigned to the newest strike team to enter Creation, she learned that they would be separated. Insight strives to do her duty but part of her mind is always back in Autochthonia with her love.

Past Lives: There was once a lector in Gulak who looked upon the heretical ideas brought about by the mixing of clades and took a stand. She used her plays and her boundless charisma to rally the Populat and her fellow lectors. She carried the flame of orthodoxy and righteousness to the highest levels of Gulaki governance and started a reformist movement that convinced the High Celebrant to institute sweeping changes that restored orthodoxy in the name of the Great Maker.

A regulator in Estasia once discovered a secret club amongst the Venatore that conspired to coopt the Scholars in order to produce new and extravagantly costly weapons. This young man risked career and even his very life to expose the club and bring the renegade Venatore to justice. And he succeeded, even at the cost of an eye and an arm, in bringing them down.

Once there was a preceptor in Nurad, who, on a hunch, followed the suspicions of a lector about a certain foreman. It took months of investigation and piecing together clues, but eventually the aging preceptor followed the trail to a Voidbringer cult nested deep within the Populat. Rather than rally the regulators and risk open war in the streets, the preceptor subverted a cultist and discovered where they were assembling. Then he redirected a flow of molten metal upon the cultists and removed the cult in a single strike though he died in the process.

A Harvester in Jarish was on a routine foraging mission in the Reaches when her team came under assault by gremlins. The gremlins were fierce and sudden, destroying half the party before they knew what was on them. The Harvester, seeing her friends die, grabbed a power conduit in her bare hand, and touched the floor of the chamber with her other, using her own body to create an electric circuit that fried the gremlins and saved her team.

Teo Torriatte

I thought I remembered taking some charms for Golden Nova (a character in another game) that did actually stack. But I could be mis-remembering.

Empyrean

Muse

kongming

I'm still very much here, I'm just hoping people finish getting sheets together so we can start this. LastFirst completed character gets a spanking! (I remembered where I am)

Ons/Offs:

Empyrean

Insight's done and posted, I think, pending final review.

Muse

I'm still very excited.  Let's see how i'm doing. 

Muse

Targe is ready.  (Her ally is not, and I still need to work with Luna a bit more on her character and her ally.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FhSa7fmDuefWXaC1pQcCrwgMSplIUyplnWaG_cYaywk/edit

Did I ask earlier if it was feasible for my followers to both be soldiers sorcerer-technicians? 

kongming

Okay, sorry about delays, but we have the OOC board here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=212457.0
Please post sheets up there, and then I'll get things started. For those who haven't finished their sheets, as long as you have the basics down you'll at least be able to participate in the early scenes before the action really starts.

Ons/Offs:

Muse

Karasu

SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Muse

Karasu-chan, the Pathfinder game didn't make.  The Exalted game did.  It involves a little used form of exalted called the alchemcials.  They're sort of magitech-cyberpunk exalted. 

If you're interested and Kong-chan has room for you I can help you get in. 

Karasu

Karasu

Is this Ealted or Pathfinder? and If it's not pathfinder, Why didn't that amazing Idea win?!

Muse

Kong-chan was going to run them both.  But the players for the pathifnder idea never sent in characters. 

kongming

Yeah, basically people were chatting much more about the Exalted idea, and although I had said "Hmm, I could run both!" it then occurred to me that working and studying actually do limit my time.

Ons/Offs:

Karasu

awwww... but pathfinder..  that idea is absolutely brilliant! I had actually started forming a character too.. I guess exalted will have to do then..