Let Me Google That For You

Started by Oniya, November 23, 2011, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Silly question, but how exactly does someone create one of these links?  It's not often, but sometimes I run into someone who tries even my patience for looking things up.  That, or I want them to see for themselves that I'm not being a b*tch, but the files really are proprietary.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

jouzinka

You go here: http://lmgtfy.com/

And enter the search phrase into the field. The site does the rest and provides the specific link to the search results. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Malina

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2011, 09:21:48 AM
It's not often, but sometimes I run into someone who tries even my patience for looking things up.

That is actually possible?  :o  ;D

jouzinka

You're welcome, Oni. It does get tiresome if you have to answer the very same question for the umpteenth time. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

Quote from: Malina on November 23, 2011, 09:39:13 AM
That is actually possible?  :o  ;D

It's rare - usually comes in the form of 'How do I open this file?' - followed by 'Isn't there a way to open it without paying money?'

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2011, 09:44:50 AM
It's rare - usually comes in the form of 'How do I open this file?' - followed by 'Isn't there a way to open it without paying money?'

"If you're willing to trade three years in Club Fed instead, yes. Otherwise no."

Vekseid

It works best if you dress the link to make it look like it's going to Google or Wikipedia.

Oniya

With the computer knowledge we're talking about, I can simply do a Here's the answer link, and be all set.

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2011, 09:44:50 AM

And cue facepalm:

QuoteBut there's got to be a way.  Don't know any hackers?  I'm super pissed at them.  They knew I only wanted the CD, not the $100 worth of prints that I bought to get the CD and no one bothered to tell me that the CD was low res.  I can't even print a 3 1/2 x 5.

Haloriel

This is great, seriously.  It really made me laugh!  I had no idea you could do such a thing. 

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on November 23, 2011, 12:45:52 PM
And cue facepalm:

That's because they make money off the hi-res prints you want, dumb-ass.

Oniya

That's the thing - she also does photography, and links to her business site in every single email she sends.  I asked her if she'd be okay with someone running off as many of her hi-res prints as they wanted and only paying her once.  She whinged about how they didn't 'tell her' that the hi-res photos couldn't be printed.  I sent her a link to copyright law.  She then asked 'What are you trying to tell me?  Haven't you ever tried to get your way?? ?'

I told her that - having had a husband in the photo industry (Mr. Oniya, that is) - I wasn't going to give her any other answer, and as a photographer herself, she should have already known who owns the copyright.

There's a new email from her in my inbox.  I'm leaving it alone.  They can use me as the 'relative to gripe about' at Thanksgiving - spare the rest of the family.

Trieste

Why would they need to tell her that the CD pics aren't hi-res? Like, seriously, she's in the business. She knows how this shit works.

And if she's so damned determined to get her way, she should take her own hi-res holiday pictures and use those all she wants. Consider it a $100 lesson in smart business practices. :P

Oniya

'Zactly.  If I knew what brand of camera she used, I'd be tempted to order her a remote shutter release for under $50 for Christmas.  (The CD has reproducible low-res files suitable for things like web-pages as well as the hi-res proprietary files.)

I've got no sympathy for her on this one.

Malina

*groans* Ooooooooooooooouuuuuch.

I'm no longer surprised that even you ran out of patience eventually.