Ever Watch too Much Ninja Anime...?

Started by indarkestknight, January 29, 2007, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indarkestknight

And then want to play a ninja game? Too much Naruto, in my case, and though the same basic principles will probably apply, it'll probably be placed long before or after the show, so no real foreknowledge of the world is needed...

I'm hoping for a one-on-one for this one... anyone up for it?

Hunter

I routinely watch too much Naruto myself.  Might make a good group game....

indarkestknight

True, with the emphasis on squads in the show, but, then, it also depends on how many are interested.

Jefepato

I'd be interested in a game like this.  You have any system in mind, or just freeform?

HairyHeretic

I've heard more than a few people talk about Naruto, but I've never seen it. What's it like?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hunter

I'd have to say I'd be interested as well.

indarkestknight

Freeform, more likely, since I haven't really ever seen any system that adequately covers the insane things that can be done in anime, and the insane amounts of power some of the inexperienced (in system terms, low EXP) characters have.

Naruto is an interesting show. It's difficult to stay interested at first, because the three main characters are all, in their own ways, difficult to like, though that was actually done on purpose. Still, as the show moves on, particularly to the Chunin exam arc, a lot of character growth begins to take place, and the cast begins to widen as previously minor characters take on importance, and, likewise, those minor characters who were once thought to be boring or meant to be disliked actually gain a lot of fans as their characters are developed.

In terms of actual content? A regular mix of fighting and shenanigans, and, while generally percieved as targetted towards younger audiences, the young adult crowd (teens and early twenties) has taken to it quite well, from my experience. Each character has specialties, sort of like a fighting game, though most start out with only basic ninja skills and perhaps one unique skill, though each expands their repertoire as it goes.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Glabrezubane on January 30, 2007, 09:46:07 AM
Freeform, more likely, since I haven't really ever seen any system that adequately covers the insane things that can be done in anime, and the insane amounts of power some of the inexperienced (in system terms, low EXP) characters have.

Have you had a look at Exalted?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

indarkestknight

I've heard a lot about it, however, with D&D, I haven't had the resources to look into it, particularly since no one seems to know of an online database from which I could get the gist of it.

Jefepato

I've actually seen Naruto conversions for both d20 and Exalted.  The former was pretty bad; the latter looked better, but people are a lot less familiar with the system and I don't believe there's an online reference for it.

(People have also built Naruto characters for Mutants & Masterminds, but although they did a good job, I don't think that system suits the setting well.)

indarkestknight

Yeah... judging from that, what's the gernal opinion? If all of you are familiar with Exalted and would prefer it, I have some connections that might be able to get me enough to let us play that way, but, of course, there's always freeform.

Jefepato

I like to have some kind of guideline in place for just how able my character is, but there's no real need to learn an entire complex system just for this.

Hokage

I love naruto!!! Except for the fillers that started about a year ago. In my opinion the fillers nearly killed the show. Anyway on  a lighter note, new episodes, non filler start the 15th of february, with the Kakashi gaiden.

On a side note I have switched my anime viewing consumption to Death Note. Now that is an amazing series.
I aim to please

indarkestknight

Mmm... Not too fond of the filler, myself, truth be told... Still, from what I can tell, they've gotten far enough ahead in the manga that there won't be a terrible amount of filler for some time to come.

Hokage

I have read the manga up to date, I won't spoil anything but it does get a hell of a lot better, especially in anime form the upcoming stuff is going to look amazing. They have almost a year and a half of manga to go through so we shouldn't be seeing a filler for a long time.

And I would be interested in a Naruto game ^_^

I aim to please

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Glabrezubane on January 30, 2007, 09:50:43 AM
I've heard a lot about it, however, with D&D, I haven't had the resources to look into it, particularly since no one seems to know of an online database from which I could get the gist of it.

Here's a couple of links that might help

http://www.white-wolf.com/exalted/

Thats WWs own home page.

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/wiki.pl?WelcomeToExaltedWiki

And thats a wiki site that seems fairly popular. Here's the intro blurb from White Wolfs site:

Exalted is a game of epic fantasy set during the Second Age of Man, a time before our own.
It is an age of magic and adventure, when heroes of legend are reborn into a time of woe.

At the dawn of the First Age, the gods gave power to men that they might slay the gods' Primordial enemies. Anointed by the gods, these beings were thereafter known as the Exalted.

The greatest of the Exalted were the Solars, the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun, the mightiest of the gods. So great was their power that, when a Solar died, his power was quickly made manifest in a new individual - a reincarnation of sorts, but into a mature adult rather than a newborn.

The Exalted triumphed over the enemies of the gods, and in reward, the gods gave the Exalted dominion over the Earth. For a timeless age, the Exalted ruled justly over Creation, and their kingdom was invincible.

But the enemies of the gods had pronounced a terrible curse against the Exalted. This dark magic ate away at the hearts of the Chosen. The benevolence of the Solars turned to tyranny, and peace turned to civil war. It was prophesied that the madness of the Solars would bring about the destruction of the world. Seeing no other alternative, the lowliest of Exalted, the Dragon-Blooded, murdered the decadent Solar Exalted and locked their souls away.

And so, a Second Age descended upon Creation.

The greatest of the gods' servants no longer walked the earth, and the Realm of the Dragon-Blooded was but a shadow of the lost old Realm. Solar Exalted whose power escaped to be reborn were slain by Dragon-Blooded inquisitors known as the Wyld Hunt, and the Realm claimed dominion over Creation. For more than a thousand years the Solar Exalted remained imprisoned and defeated - until now.

The Scarlet Empress, the Dragon-Blooded ruler of the Realm and controller of the Wyld Hunt, vanished five years ago. Without her might to enforce order in the Realm, the Great Houses of her Scarlet Dynasty have fallen to squabbling over the reins of power. And in this time of crisis, the Solar Exalted have returned. It is as if a gate was opened and the heroes of old rushed through it and returned to the world.

Your character is among those individuals who have become Solar Exalted. You are a being of legend, as mighty as a demigod and as cunning as an asp. Will you be the savior of Creation or one of the terrible menaces that beset your world?

- - - - -

In short, you're a reincarnated demigod, with powers enough starting to take on a small-ish sized army (especially if you play a combat monster Dawn or sorcerous Twilight).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

indarkestknight

Hrm... It could be adapted, I suppose, though the fit is somewhat awkward...

Hunter

If you want to go with a system style game, we could easily use either BESM or dX.
I'd almost rather go freeform, though.  It'd be easier to do.

indarkestknight

Hrm... Vote, then, I suppose. Freeform or system, and go from there. Gentlemen?

Hunter

Muse

I'll even go so far as to play freeform, but I'm actualy far more in favor of etiher an adaptation of Exalted: The Dragon Blooded, with hidden villages for Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Wood, things like Sand being simple variants, and things like the shadow replciation technique being advanced, high essence, original charms. 

Another VERY good option for a system is Big Eyes Small Mouth.  This is a very simple system, made specificly to emulate anime across the board.  (There's even a popular hentai varient, Big Breasts, Small Waist.)  I have yet to aquire the third edition released just last week, but could digitaly loan the second edition around. 

I am, however, inclined to think that a slightly expanded version of second edition exalted, the dragon blooded, is the best representation of the variety of techniques used in Naruto.  Big Eyes, small mouth might be a bit harder to buy all the tricks you want to buy. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Quote from: Muse on February 02, 2007, 01:34:19 AM
I am, however, inclined to think that a slightly expanded version of second edition exalted, the dragon blooded, is the best representation of the variety of techniques used in Naruto.  Big Eyes, small mouth might be a bit harder to buy all the tricks you want to buy. 

Slightly expanded?  You'd have to overhaul the Charms entirely to even vaguely fit Naruto.

And although people have in fact done this (see: http://www.thefreedomstone.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2792 ), I'm unconvinced that it's worth going through the learning of a new and sometimes-confusing system just to run this game.  I'll vote freeform.

Hunter

If you're going to insist on using a system, I'd recommend dX because there's a power called "dynamic" which pretty much lets you do anything....

I still vote freeform, though.

indarkestknight

Well, at this point, it depends on Hokage's vote...

indarkestknight

Alright, Hokage's been out the past few days, and since he just got back from what looked like a rather extended leave of absence, I'm not sure how likely it is that he'll be able to post with any measure of regularity. If he hasn't posted by Midnight, PST, tonight, then I'll make the executive call here and say we go freeform. Either way, you can probably at least get started working on your characters' backgrounds, personalities, and a general idea of their powers.

Also, gentlement, we have before us a dillemma: do you want to work as a squad, initially? What's the male/female balance in terms of characters (given that we all are, in fact, gentlemen)? Do you even know each other at the start? Are you from different villages?

Regardless of the answers to the above, you'll all be considered Chunin, or "middle ninja" at the start, about where the Konoha Eleven and the Sand siblings are during the Hurricane Chronicles, to give you some idea of where you stand.