Hogwarts A Future

Started by Kendra, January 03, 2012, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

Quote from: The Golden Touch on January 09, 2012, 08:12:22 PM
What number of threads are we going to have? Meaning, are we having a thread for each table plus a Great Hall thread that can include the Sorting Ceremony, or are we going to have the twenty-seven plus people in one thread?

Multiple, Diagon Alley alone will be having 3-5 threads. The castle...quite a few and various places that we felt were needed to fan out all our players evenly.

The Golden Touch

Quote from: Aiden on January 09, 2012, 09:24:43 PM
Multiple, Diagon Alley alone will be having 3-5 threads. The castle...quite a few and various places that we felt were needed to fan out all our players evenly.

Awesome, thank you! 

Also... Your current avatar freaks me out a little.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Kendra

Quote from: TheHangedMan on January 09, 2012, 08:11:10 PM
Will their be a special midnight launch party?  ;D

there'd have to be a few as we're all on different time zones ;)

bubby

*Squees through, stops to hump Aidens avi, and squees back out again*

Holy crap...I might join just to hook up with Lunar's char...M-E-O-W!

Kendra

*spanks bubby's sweet butt*  >:)

@ DylanTheVillain - do you have any image at all for your character, sort of a necessity ;)
if you need help scouring for a suitable visual just holler - human images only, no cartoons  :-)
thank you

Haibane

Question: Can muggle parents of a wizard travel by floo-powder?

Minty is a Half-Blood with a wizard father and muggle mother. I'd quite like both parents to come with her to Diagon Alley and if floo powder is possible we can go straight to the Leaky Cauldron but if not, we'll have to get the muggle train down from the midlands or leave poor mum at home ;(

Kendra

Quote from: Haibane on January 10, 2012, 06:05:39 AM
Question: Can muggle parents of a wizard travel by floo-powder?

Minty is a Half-Blood with a wizard father and muggle mother. I'd quite like both parents to come with her to Diagon Alley and if floo powder is possible we can go straight to the Leaky Cauldron but if not, we'll have to get the muggle train down from the midlands or leave poor mum at home ;(

I'd imagine so, providing they are in the company of a witch or wizard. Never did know how Hermione's parents traveled there but I'd imagine once Minty's mother has the floo powder and does everything as instructed then it is fine for her to travel. Just once she doesn't say 'Diagonal Alley'  ;D

Swashbuckler

Quote from: Kendra on January 10, 2012, 06:10:46 AM
I'd imagine so, providing they are in the company of a witch or wizard. Never did know how Hermione's parents traveled there but I'd imagine once Minty's mother has the floo powder and does everything as instructed then it is fine for her to travel. Just once she doesn't say 'Diagonal Alley'  ;D

*eyes wide*

Now that IS a good idea....I wonder where Tommy would end up...

LunarSage

Quote from: bubby on January 10, 2012, 02:56:18 AM
*Squees through, stops to hump Aidens avi, and squees back out again*

Holy crap...I might join just to hook up with Lunar's char...M-E-O-W!

*grins and snogs bubby yet again*

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Zealously Jaded

Kendra... I thought that Taryn was approved! :( I don't have a image tag thingy!

LunarSage

*Snugs Tori*

GMs:  What's a galleon anyway?  Is it like a dollar?  How would we be able to judge how much money our characters are likely do have?  Is 11 galleons a lot?

Zealously Jaded

*snugs back* I think he'd more since Harrys wand was 7 galleons. I think best bet would be a 1:1 ratio so people dont get confused.

Kendra

Quote from: Swashbuckler on January 10, 2012, 06:35:03 AM
*eyes wide*

*cringes* don't even want to hazard a guess  ;D

Quote from: Absinthe Tori on January 10, 2012, 06:43:38 AM
Kendra... I thought that Taryn was approved! :( I don't have a image tag thingy!

my apologies Absinthe -- I knew I was missing someone ;)
leave it with me and I'll have her image up in a few mins  ;D
*hugs*

Quote from: LunarSage on January 10, 2012, 06:50:12 AM

GMs:  What's a galleon anyway?  Is it like a dollar?  How would we be able to judge how much money our characters are likely do have?  Is 11 galleons a lot?

it's the unit of wizarding currency
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Galleon - for more of an explanation

but also if you think it might help here is a currency cash converter - though totally not needed :P
galleon cash converter

CurvyKitten

Figures the US dollar is nearly worthless lolz. But since we are converting UK pounds it looks like 20 Galleons per 100 pounds.

Nadir

There are 29 knuts in a sickle, 17 sickles in a galleon. One galleon is equal to almost 5 pounds sterling, almost 30 pence to a sickle and a knut is basically a penny.

The wizard money system is based on the old English system of pounds, shilling and pence.

Kendra

best rule of thumb is when a shopkeeper asks for so much money, haggle once get at least a few sickles off and be happy  ;D

Absinthe that's all taken care of - sorry again hun ;)

CurvyKitten

Mina is gonna suck at haggling, I foresee her getting taken advantage off...lolz

LunarSage

So the best broom out there is essentially only $120?  That's a lot cheaper than I figured.  I was thinking like over a thousand dollars or something outrageous.

I'm imagining a full year's school supplies including top of the line Quiddich stuff would be less than $1000... significantly less than the cost of college supplies in real life.  I'm really surprised actually.

Nadir

Just so you know, the models on display are really bad. I mean, in 91 the Nimbus 2000 came out, and the only versions for sale in the shop of the 1000 and the 1500. The 1000 was produced in 67, sooooo I think that's a realistic price for something that old.

Haibane

Quote from: Swashbuckler on January 10, 2012, 06:35:03 AM
*eyes wide*

Knockturn Alley I don't doubt!

BTW, thanks Kendra. I think I'll have Mrs Doggerel definitely only travel in company with her husband or daughter, probably holding hands a bit like a portkey works. As for Hermione's parents I think they got to Charing Cross Road by muggletrain and muggletaxi, then their magical daughter no doubt showed them the door to the Leaky Cauldron.

LunarSage

Huh, I thought the Nimbus 2000 was in reference to the year 2000, which was the year that I always thought the first movie took place in (since the movies came out just after 2000).  The very next year's model was the Nimbus 2001, which seemed to confirm that.  I just figured the movieverse was different than the bookverse.  :-)

Nadir

For the Comet series at least, the number indicates how many times they had to test out the broom before they were satisfied. Given the high performance demands on the Nimbus series, it's fair to think the same applies to those brooms.

I think the best brooms in the shop are the Comet series, the cleansweeps, the silver arrow and the moontrimmer, though the latter two are antique. 

Haibane

Quote from: CurvyKitten on January 10, 2012, 07:06:08 AM
Mina is gonna suck at haggling, I foresee her getting taken advantage off...lolz
Minty will look after her *cuddles*

Quote from: Eden on January 10, 2012, 07:16:17 AM
Just so you know, the models on display are really bad. I mean, in 91 the Nimbus 2000 came out, and the only versions for sale in the shop of the 1000 and the 1500. The 1000 was produced in 67, sooooo I think that's a realistic price for something that old.
Yes, I think we need to stop and do a complete gear-shift mentally with the wizarding world. Forget about muggle economies and cash flow and inflation and consumerism and capitalism and all that fun stuff, I think all that is TOTALLY irrelevant to wizards who have their own economy which is far more static. As Eden says the Nimbus 1000 was first made in 1967 and the 2000 in 1991, presumably the 1500 coming out sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Its not like car manfacturers in our world with an upgraded model every year (and the consumerist hype that makes people want to buy it), the wizarding world is almost medievallly static with little to no advertising, no consumerism and no mass manufacturing. Almost everything is hand-made magically by craftsmen and small shops like Ollivanders have just one outlet in the entire world. Bertie Botts is definitely no Willy Wonka. There's no demand for iPods, iPhones, PCs, washing machines, dishwashers - a wizard or witch simply masters a few spells and their own skill replaces all these mechanical and digital machines. This kind of influence in an economy WOULD turn consumerism on its head - as it has done so in J.K.Rowlings books.

There's no doubt plenty of home-made brooms in the world. How does one value those or their impact on the broom-making industry?

A top quality broom working out at $120 may not seem much to us but most likely that is VERY expensive to wizards and might equate to a top of the range BMW or Audi in the muggle world, despite the apparent exchange rate. On the other hand there might be no meaningful comparison to make at all. Wizards are just different. It might be good to know what the average Ministry clerks wages are though - that might help put broom prices in perspective.

Anyway, readjust your brains. Think possibly renaissance Italy in the 1500s as far as manufacturing, buying and selling. Diagon Alley in the movies looks like a medieval street because basically it is.

I also vote we stick with the canon Galleons, Sickles and Knuts. There's loads of good web resources telling you what each is worth.

Kendra

Your welcome Hai ;)

I'm gonna jiggle the numbers around on the brooms to make them more up to date series and slap prices to match :P
will that please  ;D

will keep a few at a low price for those who can't afford the expensive stuff ;)

Eden thanks a million hun *hugs*
you are a mind of useful info ... *fifty points to ... * will wait until you get sorted  XD

Nadir

You're welcome ^_^

(such a tease with those points!)