Letters instead of Candy for Halloween.

Started by Silver, October 30, 2013, 01:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valthazar

Quote from: Anjasa on November 03, 2013, 12:51:56 PM
I bet a lot of children are really going to hate themselves after receiving a letter like that (if I was a kid, I would have read it immediately, and if I was over the age of 4 or 5 I'd have a clear grasp of what she was saying).

It's just incredibly mean. There are much better ways to handle... any of her concerns.

But there probably thousands of "mean" things that happen to kids as they grow up.  We can't immunize them from all the bad influences in life - all we can do is teach them how to deal with these not-so-positive encounters in a healthy manner.

Anjasa

Oh absolutely. We can't control other people's actions, only our own. And unfortunately, overweight kids are often a target of these... I don't even really want to say well meaning, but I think that's what they are... reprimands.

I just don't think that the letter-writer's actions are likely to help anyone actually struggling with their weight.

Valthazar

I agree that the letters accomplish anything.  It is a sensitive topic, and if she was serious about making a positive difference, there are many other ways she could go about it.

Oniya

Quote from: ValthazarElite on November 03, 2013, 01:17:48 PM
But there probably thousands of "mean" things that happen to kids as they grow up.  We can't immunize them from all the bad influences in life - all we can do is teach them how to deal with these not-so-positive encounters in a healthy manner.

Maybe like this one:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-leaves-hilarious-note-pumpkin-thief-article-1.1499942
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: MissBAMF on October 31, 2013, 11:40:04 PM
Bleh. I know it's meant in fun, but really, the hating on my state is just insane. Sorry, I'll just hop outta here and not make more of a fuss. Just a bit bummed that this story had to have a jibe about the location. I mean, yeah, we're a bass-ackwards state in many ways, but...bleh. Sour taste left in my mouth now. Sorry, guys.

Take heart, Miss.  No state can be seen in as poor a light as we in Mississippi are.   ;)

Shjade

Quote from: BeckyAnnn on November 03, 2013, 02:31:20 PM
Take heart, Miss.  No state can be seen in as poor a light as we in Mississippi are.   ;)

I thought Idaho was supposed to be the be-all, end-all of "worst state?"
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: BeckyAnnn on November 03, 2013, 02:31:20 PM

Texas. Just... Texas.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shjade on November 04, 2013, 12:48:54 AM
I thought Idaho was supposed to be the be-all, end-all of "worst state?"

At least people remember Idaho exists. Poor North Dakota exists solely as an expansion pack for its southern neighbor.

BAMF

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 01:53:58 PM
At least people remember Idaho exists. Poor North Dakota exists solely as an expansion pack for its southern neighbor.

This made me giggle. "Expansion pack for SD." I've never heard that one before.

*falls over in giggles*
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 01:53:58 PM

Does it at least increase the level cap?
◕/◕'s

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shjade on November 05, 2013, 05:43:32 PM
Does it at least increase the level cap?

Nah. They call it an expansion pack, but it's more like a playable demo for Canada, and the rest of the state is DLC.

Shouron

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 06:09:05 PM
Nah. They call it an expansion pack, but it's more like a playable demo for Canada, and the rest of the state is DLC.

That made my day, honestly, and here in Alabama it was all rainstorms and misery on Halloween so no one ate candy that night.

However, on topic, I feel the woman is right to do that but in all seriousness.. I was so mad when I read the article it was beyond me. I thought "Man, I wonder who pissed in her cheerios?"
but after a while it made sense. She is trying to be some kind of "moral crusader" for the sake of Halloween, but couldn't she have saved it for another day? Kind of paints the holiday black for the poor kids who visited her house and that's just cruel.
When you look at yourself in the mirror, who is it that stares back at you?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 06:09:05 PM

It could be worse. You could be in FarmVille Wisconsin.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on November 05, 2013, 08:07:30 PM
It could be worse. You could be in FarmVille Wisconsin.

For the existence of its cheese, and its cheese alone, Wisconsin has earned the right to exist.

Though wearing it as hats is a bit much.

Yukina

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 08:15:03 PM
For the existence of its cheese, and its cheese alone, Wisconsin has earned the right to exist.

Though our drunk driving rate and other alcohol related problems seem to squander that right. You should see how many bars and taverns exist in my town alone.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 05, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

Bears fans have taken to wearing cheese-graters on their hats.

@Yugishogun: We have roughly 1 bar per 500 people in town. Fairly large bars too.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Yukina

@Shadowfox: Every neighborhood in my town has about 2 or so bars/places that sell beer. What's even more ridiculous is the law in Wisconsin that allows minors to drink with parental supervision.

TheGlyphstone

I still consider New Hampshire to be 'home', despite not having lived there for a few years, and all it's got going for it is becoming important once every four years with its rabidly defended first-in-the-nation presidential primary. And occasionally stealing credit from Massachusetts for 'where the American Revolution started', because people can't do geography. Vermont gets all the attention for maple syrup, Maine takes credit for clam chowder and lobster.

Even our landmarks get bored and leave.

Shjade

Quote from: Shouron on November 05, 2013, 07:03:12 PM
She is trying to be some kind of "moral crusader" for the sake of Halloween, but couldn't she have saved it for another day? Kind of paints the holiday black for the poor kids who visited her house and that's just cruel.

What she should've done was write the notes inside the candy wrappers. That way the kids get to enjoy candy, then afterward have the guilt and shame of seeing, "Now you're fat, fatty! :D"

Yes, I'm sure that would have been the best possible options. *nods sagely*
◕/◕'s

vivaciousvixen

Well fortunately, no kids were harmed in the making of this prank.....

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/Is-North-Dakota-womans-fat-shaming-Halloween-letter-to-obese-kids-a-radio-station-prank

But the good thing about these wild news stories that people run with is it gives us a chance to think about the situation, and what we think is right and wrong.

Like many have said, she could have just quietly kept her opinion to herself instead of handing it out to a select few kids. That being my personal opinion, there is ultimately nothing wrong with what she did. She has the right to hand out letters to kids who accept them.

Neysha

But if it was a fake, then whose house did I egg on Halloween?  :o
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)