Senate Candidate attacked for playing World of Warcraft

Started by TheGlyphstone, October 06, 2012, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Oh, hey...

http://blastr.com/2012/11/world-of-warcraft-player.php

Quote...have we outgrown the gamer stigma to the point where someone who plays an MMORPG can be elected to high political office?

The answer, it seems, is a resounding yes!—as Colleen won her senate seat last night.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Stattick

Kewl. Now maybe she can lead a raid against the GOP.  >:)
O/O   A/A

Chris Brady

Quote from: Stattick on November 07, 2012, 04:15:03 PM
Kewl. Now maybe she can lead a raid against the GOP.  >:)
Why?  They don't have any good drops...  Specially not for a Rogue...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Stattick

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 08, 2012, 12:29:01 AM
Why?  They don't have any good drops...  Specially not for a Rogue...

Dude, are you kidding? They're full of money. You just whack them them until they burst, and like a piñata, they spill money everywhere. That's why you don't see those guys in poor neighborhoods.
O/O   A/A

Skynet

The GOP made a huge mistake in not just attacking the candidate, but the gamer subculture as well.  Over 100 million Americans have played video games, ranging from elementary school children to middle-aged people.  It shows how out of touch her opposition is with US citizens.

Moraline

FOR THE HORDE!

This news makes me happy. It's like a great big F@#$! U to all the old farts in politics that are stuck living in the past.

Congratulations, Colleen Lachowicz.

Lux12

This is stupid on so many levels. It's one thing to criticize someone for their political stances which are much more important than someone's hobbies, but to attack someone on something that does not in and of itself have any baring on the political climate of the nation is ridiculous. So what if someone in politics plays WoW? There are people in politics who make a pass time of mismanaging funds, and general abuse of power and they make a fuss over someone playing World of Warcraft. It's not like she's killing people in real life. It's fantasy for God's sake.

Chris Brady

Lux, congratulations, you just described the entire GOP general practice.  They can't/couldn't accuse anyone of any of that because it would be all, kettle, pot, black.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 08, 2012, 11:51:33 PM
Lux, congratulations, you just described the entire GOP general practice.  They can't/couldn't accuse anyone of any of that because it would be all, kettle, pot, black.

No. It is NOT the entire practice of the GOP to do this.. it IS the practice of the Party leadership. Please remember that there is a difference.

Lux12

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 08, 2012, 11:51:33 PM
I've been studying their methods for quite some time.It's hard not to notice it.They do this every time they catch wind of something they don't like.Their strategy is based around creating smoke screens so that people soon forget the real issue.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 09, 2012, 12:01:57 AM
No. It is NOT the entire practice of the GOP to do this.. it IS the practice of the Party leadership. Please remember that there is a difference.
I meant the party, not the constituents.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 09, 2012, 12:18:40 AM
I meant the party, not the constituents.

SOME of the elected members aren't total tools either.

yeah.. I'm a RINO Republican these days. (Republican In Name Only.. according the the Tea Partiers who hijacked my party0

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 09, 2012, 12:25:01 AM

yeah.. I'm a RINO Republican these days. (Republican In Name Only.. according the the Tea Partiers who hijacked my party0

I've been seeing a lot more of those as of late. I suspect it has to do with the increasing radicalism within the party.

Oniya

Yup.  It's likely going to stay that way until more of the stodgy, old men at the top die off, unless someone comes out of the centrist demographic with enough charisma to pull in the saner Republicans.  I still think it's a schism waiting to happen.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 09, 2012, 09:01:28 AM
Yup.  It's likely going to stay that way until more of the stodgy, old men at the top die off, unless someone comes out of the centrist demographic with enough charisma to pull in the saner Republicans.  I still think it's a schism waiting to happen.

The whole reason I voted for Senator McCain in 08 was I THOUGHT that it would give him leverage to reclaim the party from the idiots. It was a hard call between him and the President. This year I had NO GOP candidates I could honestly respect enough to put in office.

Being a centrist sucks. 

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 09, 2012, 09:01:28 AM

Indeed. I've been thinking the same thing for some time.However I don't believe I could ever support that party after some of the things they've done.I'm honestly hoping for one or two of the third party groups to rise  to prominence so at the very least we aren't left with this obnoxious partisan deadlock. So that they might balance things out.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 09, 2012, 12:25:01 AM

Sorry man, as long as the Tea Party nuts are in charge, they ARE the GOP.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 09, 2012, 12:25:01 AMyeah.. I'm a RINO Republican these days. (Republican In Name Only.. according the the Tea Partiers who hijacked my party

You have my sincerest sympathies, though.  It sucks when your ideology is under attack by the people who used to represent you.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 10, 2012, 12:13:55 PM
Sorry man, as long as the Tea Party nuts are in charge, they ARE the GOP.

You have my sincerest sympathies, though.  It sucks when your ideology is under attack by the people who used to represent you.

And it's that broad brushing, rather than examining officials individually, that undercuts the social moderates with folks outside the party.  Sorry, I'm a firm judge of judging the person by their own sins. 

Case in point, the complete LACK of backbone that Sen McCain has shown in the last 2 years.  Total lack of respect. The withdrawal of true statesmen (or in this case STATESWOMEN) like Olympia Snow. Regret that service to her country and being a true leader in a party of lackspittle jackasses is rewarded by betrayal and backstabbing. She deserved better.

Lux12

This is one of the reasons George Washington warned against the formation of political parties. He believed that factionism would eventually tear the country apart and lead to divides that would create a political climate unfavorable for anyone in the country.

Skynet

Quote from: Lux12 on November 11, 2012, 05:55:16 PM
This is one of the reasons George Washington warned against the formation of political parties. He believed that factionism would eventually tear the country apart and lead to divides that would create a political climate unfavorable for anyone in the country.

Given the way candidates act, we'd do this anyway.  Adams and Jefferson gave birth to negative campaigning, but genuine disagreements of policies and a shared desire to gain the Presidency were instrumental in creating a negative atmosphere and us versus them mentality.

Lux12

Quote from: Skynet on November 11, 2012, 07:26:41 PM
Given the way candidates act, we'd do this anyway.  Adams and Jefferson gave birth to negative campaigning, but genuine disagreements of policies and a shared desire to gain the Presidency were instrumental in creating a negative atmosphere and us versus them mentality.

True.Humans are bound to band together with like minded individuals no matter what measures are taken to prevent factionism, but I think it begins a much greater problem when we codify or formalize certain groups.

sirtree

You play golf how dare you! You rich time wasting scum! Ya just about the same thing.

Oniya

Quote from: sirtree on November 12, 2012, 12:36:45 PM
You play golf how dare you! You rich time wasting scum! Ya just about the same thing.

Except golf courses have exclusive memberships.  Blizzard only cares if you can fork over whatsit - $20 a month?  And that's only if you want to go over a certain level, if I remember right.  ;D

sirtree

Also I fail to see how this is modern.... Been in politics for a while now. Also it's like golf in that your attacking a person that enjoys a certain pursuit if its gambling, playing Wow, or whatever examples you comE up with it is a excuse to attack a persons character regardless if it is golf or... Idk fishing. Or eating sail fish or attacking a bear in skyrim (a much better game)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 12, 2012, 01:17:52 PM
Except golf courses have exclusive memberships.  Blizzard only cares if you can fork over whatsit - $20 a month?  And that's only if you want to go over a certain level, if I remember right.  ;D

Yeah.. they don't care what church you go to.. if your name ends in 'stien' or anything else besides 'your check didn't bounce..welcome..'