News:

Main Menu

Roguelikes

Started by Inkidu, November 29, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Does anyone know any action based Roguelikes? I've been playing Ziggurat, a fun little first person shooter with Roguelike elements to it. The levels are randomly generated, filled with special conditions and trials, alters you can go to for random blessings that can change your next fight, and all the upgrades you get carry over to your next game.

I was desperate for some kind of edge, so I sacrificed almost all of my health to an altar and ended up with infinite Staff energy until I got hit. I had 1 health left. So I go into the next room, the door locks, and dozens and dozens of skeletons start charging after me. So I just held down the trigger and started screaming like I had a minigun with a 6 mile long chain.

...I won too :3

Inkidu

Rogue Legacy plays like a hardcore platformer and roguelike. It's got the jump slash magic blasting action thing. Kind of like 2D Castlevannia games. Some of the fairy chests (which contain the runes) are mini challenges that usually need a certain build or class.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

I went a full week with maybe a half a quarter of a weeks sleep playing Rogue Legacy, and still I only managed to take out the easiest boss. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or that the game is just that ridiculous, but it was so fun.

Cycle

Got a Blue win.  Their start was harder than Red's, because of the 10 less hp, but I countered that by fighting over corpses.  The end fight was much easier.  Only needed to use two pearls (a white to stop the shaman from healing wave repeatedly, and a black to get away into the corner while recharging -- still had a couple whites, a green, and a blue left at the end).  Thunderclap is awesome not so much for the damage but for the 3 stun turns.  I used that, followed by Chain Lightning, followed by Breath, then Wing Buffet, then Trample.  Took out some of the bad guys and then I invisoed and ran for better terrain, Biting to heal as necessary.

Some other things I've learned about Drakefire:

1.  This game really isn't about using melee.  I do way better when I play using breath was my only means of attacking.  So when it is loaded, I fight.  When it is recharging, I move away.  Against early bears, for example, one shot may not be enough so I shoot, back up until I reload, then shoot again.

2.  The AI doesn't track you very well when you break line of sight.  So just hugging an outcropping along the wall or rounding a corner is often enough to survive a mob. If you are Blue with Blink, breaking LOS is much easier.

3.  Getting a Stamina as your first boost (if you are not Red) is actually not such a bad idea.  It boosts HP by a good chunk for level 2 and also powers up your breath.  I am starting to go Sta and then Str, rather than just Str all the way. 

4.  There is a way to skip turns!  Using the 5 key on your number pad.  But as Brad Pitt said in World War Z:  "movement is life."  Standing still and fighting = death in this game.  Move to lure enemies to fight where you want to.  Ideally over a corpse farm you've set up earlier or a good LOS break.  And then 5 to make them come to you.

Stats

Blue Great Wyrm
Won in 4054 turns.
Scored 106954 points.
Strength: 22, Stamina: 17, Will: 17.
Abilities gained:
Bite, Thunderclap, Line Breath, Devour,
Chain Lightning, Frightful Presence, Gem-Encrusted Hide, Hardened Scales,
Magic Resistance, Rake, Trample, Wing Buffet.
9 orbs were found.
165 enemies were killed:
10 barbarians
27 cave bears
  5 deathknights
11 druids
22 earth gnomes
16 giant rats
  3 hunters
  8 mages
  6 monks
12 paladins
  6 priests
12 rogues
10 shamans
  9 warlocks
  8 warriors

Cycle

Got the White win now.  Still can't seem to get Black.  That does seem to be the weakest color since its highest tier Will and Sta powers are both pretty lousy.  White's max Sta power was very useful.  It does seem that raising Sta instead of Str is a viable path to victory since it makes your hardened scales so good at stopping damage.  At one point I had three or four warriors and death knights bashing on me and was losing only 50 hp at a time.  Time to give Black another try...

Stats for White

White Great Wyrm
Won in 3869 turns.
Scored 106237 points.
Strength: 20, Stamina: 17, Will: 18.
Abilities gained:
Bite, Line Breath, Deep Breath, Devour,
Frightful Presence, Gem-Encrusted Hide, Hardened Scales, Whiteout,
6 orbs were found.
166 enemies were killed:
  6 barbarians
29 cave bears
  9 deathknights
15 druids
17 earth gnomes
20 giant rats
  6 hunters
  2 mages
  9 monks
  7 paladins
  9 priests
  7 rogues
13 shamans
11 warlocks
  6 warriors

Cycle

Done.  Got the Black win.  It really was the hardest color for me.  Not very tough, doesn't do a lot of damage, and has lousy Will powers.  I ended up going heavy Str and pretty much ignoring Will as much as I could.  Took Wilting as my last power and it was alright.  The key is to use it after you've damaged stuff (with say, Buffet), since it scales to the target's health status.

Black Stats

Black Great Wyrm
Won in 4054 turns.
Scored 109355 points.
Strength: 20, Stamina: 16, Will: 19.
Abilities gained:
Bite, Horrid Wilting, Line Breath, Deep Breath,
Devour, Frightful Presence, Gem-Encrusted Hide, Hardened Scales,
7 orbs were found.
164 enemies were killed:
  7 barbarians
27 cave bears
12 deathknights
12 druids
25 earth gnomes
13 giant rats
  8 hunters
  6 mages
  4 monks
  4 paladins
  7 priests
11 rogues
  9 shamans
  8 warlocks
11 warriors

Final Fight

I started off positioned well to hit 4 targets with a line breath, and then Trample/Buffeted.  From there it was alternating between Black Pearls, Biting, and Green Pearls to cut down enemy numbers.  The Death Knights prevented me from positioning properly, but I was able to heal enough with Bite to wear them down.  Wilting was the finisher.

Last adventurer left.  Come're you little snack...

Cycle

So, as a "thank you" to Blythe for introducing me to Drakefire, I went and found another 7-day RL:  PrincessRL

You get to train a princess over the course of a year to be some kind of awesome something or other.  Fighter?  Mage?  Not too sure...  I'm still trying to figure it out, but it seems to have a lot of potential!

Blythe

Quote from: Cycle on December 14, 2014, 04:13:34 PM
So, as a "thank you" to Blythe for introducing me to Drakefire, I went and found another 7-day RL:  PrincessRL

You get to train a princess over the course of a year to be some kind of awesome something or other.  Fighter?  Mage?  Not too sure...  I'm still trying to figure it out, but it seems to have a lot of potential!

Ooh, I'll give this a try. The 7 day RL's seem to be interesting.  :D

Re: Drakefire--I agree with your assessment of the Black dragons; they really are the worst to try to get a successful run-through with. The order of easiest to hardest for me was: Red, Blue, Green, White, then Black.

Inkidu

Despite my constant complaints FTL is allowed here, it's just... WHY!? WHY IS IT SO FUN BUT I CAN'T WIN ONE GAME! *Ocular gushing*

EDIT: Anyone who said the Engi cruiser made the game easier needs to be dragged out into the street and flogged (not serious, by the way). >:(
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dhi

According to Steam, I have

5 hours in FTL
7 in Sword of the Stars: The Pit
27 in The Binding of Isaac
36 in Rogue Legacy (enough to make it impossible to pick back up)
37 in Risk of Rain
84 in Spelunky
285 in Dungeons of Dredmor

Teleglitch and One Way Heroics have gone unplayed so far.

There were some cruder roguelikes I used to play, but I'm having a hard time remembering all of them. There was a lot of the 8 bit Spelunky, Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, less of Desktop Dungeons, Doom: The Roguelike and a Nethack clone where you could play as different types of monsters, and very little of Dwarven Fortress, which I never cared for.

I always liked the customization, the sense of discovery and the cipher quality to them where each time you're using your mind to analyze new patterns and information rather than most games where you develop skill through repetition. Now that I'm nominally growed up, I like that I can pick them up for 15 minutes here and there. I cannot dedicate a whole Saturday to playing video games like I once could.

Teo Torriatte

Another action oriented game with roguelike elements I don't think I've seen mentioned here before is Counter Spy. There is no PC version, but I think you can get it for PS3, PS4, iphone and perhaps Andriod.

I have the iphone version, and it is fun as hell. Its basically a stealth game, with the levels and enemies layed out randomly. It features permadeath, but you get to keep the money you earned along with persistent upgrades and such.

Blythe

If I ever get a smartphone or PS3 or 4, I'll have to try that out, Luna. ^^ Shame there's not a PC version.

Quote from: Dim Hon on December 11, 2014, 09:34:09 AM
I have been playing Desktop Dungeons lately. Very awesome game, you need some mad strats to master it, though. The alpha version is on their site for free. I'm not sure I'd recommend this came at its full price but keep an eye on steam/GOG sales

I nabbed Desktop Dungeons for half price, and it's pretty addictive. I've heard the alpha and the purchased version differ a lot in gameplay, though--but I've only played the version on Steam as of today.

That game is...terribly deceptive. It says you can just play for 15 minutes, and then 15 minutes later, bam, you know you're going to be on there at least an hour trying dungeons out. I'm going to lose so much time playing this, heh. <3

Torterrable

ROGUELIKES?!

ROGUELIKES!?

I like roguelikes!

Binding of Isaac is my favorite, as I have over 300 hours between the two games combined. Sunless Sea comes in second, with 120 something...Our Darker Purpose is a pretty fun and dark one, and has great story. I've also got Shattered Planet, which is fun but a bit simple, One Way Heroics, which seems fun though I can't get into it, Runers, which is good though the art is lacking, and Crypt of the Necrodancer, which is just eh.

I've really wanted to try FTL and Desktop Dungeons, though; I've heard they're great, and pretty famous! Has anyone played Dungeons of Dreadmor or Sword of the Stars here? I've wanted to check them out, but I don't know....

Inkidu

FTL is not a roguelike. It's a slot machine with roguelike elements. >:[

I got the SotS Pit complete on the holiday sale. Need to install it. Tricky thing for me.

I also got Steam Marines and Dungeons of the Endless. :)

Blythe

Quote from: Inkidu on December 27, 2014, 09:51:20 AM
FTL is not a roguelike. It's a slot machine with roguelike elements. >:[

Am forced to agree with Inkidu on this. FTL is fun, although I have no idea why, considering it is also the most infuriating game I've ever played. >_<

Quote from: Inkidu on December 27, 2014, 09:51:20 AM
I also got Steam Marines and Dungeons of the Endless. :)

Ooh, once you play Dungeon of the Endless, I know I would love to hear about that. I've been curious about that game for a while now.

Quote from: Torterrable on December 27, 2014, 09:47:36 AM
I've really wanted to try FTL and Desktop Dungeons, though; I've heard they're great, and pretty famous! Has anyone played Dungeons of Dreadmor or Sword of the Stars here? I've wanted to check them out, but I don't know....

Dim linked to a free and legal alpha build up-thread, which might be neat to try out if you are interested in Desktop Dungeons. Haven't played SotS, but I do have Dungeons of Dreadmor. DoD isn't too bad--it's meant to be goofy and lighthearted, and in truth, the difficulty can be scaled down quite a lot. I love the little references in the game and how the monsters all insult your character badly, though. I think one monster told me my father smelt of elderberries or something like that (can't remember if that was it exactly--either way, the monsters are amusing). ::) Very fun--I'd recommend it, especially if it's on sale

Dhi

The reason I have so many more hours logged in Dungeons of Dredmor than the others is due to the modding community. The Steam Workshop has given it a life of its own. In fact, if I remember right, one of the expansions (the free one) adopted elements from the modding community that were especially brilliant.

Torterrable

Oh? Yeah, I've heard some bad things about FTL's luck mechanism, so I guess I'll avoid that one for now.

I  own Dungeon of the Endless and have played it a bit. Personally, I didn't enjoy it. The gameplay is pretty good, though, and the character bios are awesome, but the fact remains that I am shitty at resource management and tower defense, both of which are central to DotE's gameplay.

Inkidu

Quote from: Torterrable on December 27, 2014, 05:09:13 PM
Oh? Yeah, I've heard some bad things about FTL's luck mechanism, so I guess I'll avoid that one for now.

I  own Dungeon of the Endless and have played it a bit. Personally, I didn't enjoy it. The gameplay is pretty good, though, and the character bios are awesome, but the fact remains that I am shitty at resource management and tower defense, both of which are central to DotE's gameplay.
Unless you have a blue option or know the negative outcome intimately don't take any of the events on, especially giant spiders. :\

Things that are random in FTL

Everything but the final boss and your starting ship and crew.

Cycle

I think FTL on "Easy" is relatively well balanced and perfectly playable.  On "Normal," however, you can get unwinnable scenarios if the RNGs decide to take a disliking to your crew.  I heard they came out with some kind of update or new version for it, but haven't played it to see if it addresses the balance issues.

Inkidu

Quote from: Cycle on December 27, 2014, 05:16:19 PM
I think FTL on "Easy" is relatively well balanced and perfectly playable.  On "Normal," however, you can get unwinnable scenarios if the RNGs decide to take a disliking to your crew.  I heard they came out with some kind of update or new version for it, but haven't played it to see if it addresses the balance issues.
Does not, just adds more randomness. :P

If you play FTL on easy (which I'm not belittling at all, I've thought about it at times before I quit playing) the community at large will probably drag you over the coals. The game likes to shame you for playing on easy, too. It locks in your achievements at the difficulty you unlocked them at. :|

I do not like easy-mode shamers. If you provide the difficulty level you don't get to make fun of the people who want to use it.

Cycle

Quote from: Inkidu on December 27, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
If you play FTL on easy (which I'm not belittling at all, I've thought about it at times before I quit playing) the community at large will probably drag you over the coals.

*laughs*  Why would anyone care what the FTL community thinks?

Inkidu

Quote from: Cycle on December 27, 2014, 05:30:38 PM
*laughs*  Why would anyone care what the FTL community thinks?
I'm just saying, if you're ever looking for help just don't admit to playing on easy. More of a friendly warning than anything.

Cycle

Thanks for the warning.  I have noticed that a lot of game forums have an overdose of machismo.

Blythe

Quote from: Inkidu on December 27, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
I do not like easy-mode shamers. If you provide the difficulty level you don't get to make fun of the people who want to use it.

I really like easy mode in games, actually--I can use them to get a feel for and learn a game before trying harder difficulties, FTL aside (which easy difficulty doesn't help with, bleh).

Quote from: Torterrable on December 27, 2014, 05:09:13 PM

Hmmmm. On the one hand, I'm not bad with tower defense stuff, but ooh, I'm awful at resource management if it's an integral part. I might need to give that a pass. :(

Torterrable

It's pretty basic resource management, with only four resources and mostly straightforward ways to spend them, but balancing them is nasty business, especially at higher levels. On easy, it's apparently pretty simple, and so long as you play smart, you can end up with nice excesses, but...I've never felt that, especially when time starts to work against you.