Ideas and Scenarious you wish happened.

Started by Lustful Bride, November 03, 2014, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

I kind of wish we would see more stuff of The Reanimator.

I miss my Dr. West.

If I could pick anything to be done with his character, I would want him to be played by Adrien Brody in a remake.

Or have an anime made after him!!  ;D. Something which perhaps tries to portray him more sympathetically, as he runs around with assistant(s) trying to get his re-agent to work while also hunting and killing his many failed experiments.

Yeah about 90% of the time it would be his own fault that these things were running around eating people, and hes only stopping them because he believes in cleaning up your own mess/ not shitting where you eat.

Mathim

I wish they'd made the ones they did more faithful to the original H.P. Lovecraft works, "Herbert West: Reanimator". While I appreciate the more modern touches, I think it's somewhat more macabre (and less Peter Jackson-esque in terms of similarity to Brain Dead) to watch West's slow descent to the point where he'll murder victims to obtain fresh specimens. But I don't think Adrien Brody would be a good choice. Jeffrey Combs was always so perfect, I can't think of anyone today who really resembles him well enough (maybe Stephen Colbert if he could get serious, but aside from him, I'm coming up blank).

Stuart Gordon directed quite a few films based around Lovecraft stories, some are fairly decent despite deviating from the originals. What I'd really like to see is a big-budget, modern production of At the Mountains of Madness. Now, THAT would be a great use of Lovecraft storytelling. Surprised we haven't seen much of that lately, actually.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on March 03, 2015, 10:50:42 PM
I wish they'd made the ones they did more faithful to the original H.P. Lovecraft works, "Herbert West: Reanimator". While I appreciate the more modern touches, I think it's somewhat more macabre (and less Peter Jackson-esque in terms of similarity to Brain Dead) to watch West's slow descent to the point where he'll murder victims to obtain fresh specimens. But I don't think Adrien Brody would be a good choice. Jeffrey Combs was always so perfect, I can't think of anyone today who really resembles him well enough (maybe Stephen Colbert if he could get serious, but aside from him, I'm coming up blank).

Stuart Gordon directed quite a few films based around Lovecraft stories, some are fairly decent despite deviating from the originals. What I'd really like to see is a big-budget, modern production of At the Mountains of Madness. Now, THAT would be a great use of Lovecraft storytelling. Surprised we haven't seen much of that lately, actually.

Last I heard of it, the movie was stuck in development hell sadly.  :-(

Mathim

Which one, the reboot of Reanimator or the Mountains of Madness? I know I heard they were remaking Reanimator but never caught wind of any follow-up. But Mountains of Madness? I thought that would be a pipe dream. Would be awesome though, if they could get some big names like Matt Damon or Leonardo Dicaprio to play the scientists on the expedition. That movie deserves to get as many people to see it as possible. I think too few people really know how much Lovecraft inspires and should be exposed to more direct adaptations of his works.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on March 04, 2015, 07:45:09 PM
Which one, the reboot of Reanimator or the Mountains of Madness? I know I heard they were remaking Reanimator but never caught wind of any follow-up. But Mountains of Madness? I thought that would be a pipe dream. Would be awesome though, if they could get some big names like Matt Damon or Leonardo Dicaprio to play the scientists on the expedition. That movie deserves to get as many people to see it as possible. I think too few people really know how much Lovecraft inspires and should be exposed to more direct adaptations of his works.

Mountains of Madness. I heard about it long ago but since then its been all quiet.

Aeons

Quote from: Mathim on March 04, 2015, 07:45:09 PM

Guillermo del Toro was working on Mountains of Madness, which had everybody wetting their pants in excitement, but not sure if it's going to happen now. 

Mathim

Oh, man, talk about a perfect choice for director! That's this guy's specialty! GDT was also in talks to direct Doctor Strange but they went with the guy who did Sinister. Wouldn't it be awesome to have Del Toro do at least one MCU movie, though? Like, maybe stepping in for Joss Whedon once he's tired of doing Avengers movies? So many movies deserve better direction (or scripts) and guys like these should be kept busier to make sure they get all the opportunities possible.

Aeons

Quote from: Mathim on March 05, 2015, 08:17:48 AM
Oh, man, talk about a perfect choice for director! That's this guy's specialty! GDT was also in talks to direct Doctor Strange but they went with the guy who did Sinister. Wouldn't it be awesome to have Del Toro do at least one MCU movie, though? Like, maybe stepping in for Joss Whedon once he's tired of doing Avengers movies? So many movies deserve better direction (or scripts) and guys like these should be kept busier to make sure they get all the opportunities possible.

Del Toro is supposedly working on a Justice League Dark movie, so DC apparently will be the ones to get the Del Toro touch.

Beorning

I admit I don't share the love for Del Toro. The only movies of him I've seen that were somewhat remarkable were Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labirynth. The rest of them? Nothing too special.

I really don't understand the popular opinion that Del Toro would do wonders with Mountains of Madness...

Aeons

After watching Pacific Rim, I've lost that excitement too.  Pan's Labyrinth was amazing, and intelligent, and I thought he would transform a monster vs. robot movie into something that was that, and visually interesting, but smart too.  And he didn't.  So I am less sure what he would make of Cthulhu or even Justice League Dark at this point. 

Beorning

Oh, Pacific Rim was... okay, IMHO. Nothing too amazing, but it was watchable. Both of the Hellboy movies, in turn? I found them awfully lacking.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on March 05, 2015, 09:50:54 AM
Oh, Pacific Rim was... okay, IMHO. Nothing too amazing, but it was watchable. Both of the Hellboy movies, in turn? I found them awfully lacking.

Yeah, the Hellboys were just 'okay' but I really think that Del Toro has a flair for the giant scale beasties the way Michael Bay could only ever WISH for. So when you think about the large-scale horrors in Mountains of Madness, that would be especially well done with Del Toro at the helm.

CaptainNexus616

Really wish Fox News would shut down.

Yeah I get it. Its hard filling 24 hours with fresh content which is replayed throughout the day but...come on,... When they start bringing in these "experts" who make heavy contributions then you lose the concept of NEWS it just turns into a talk show where these guys are just making opinions which they declare the FACT. They act like they are the Saint Saviors of America and they really need to get off their high horse.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Lustful Bride

Am I the only one who has gotten tired of the almost post apocalyptic, dark and damp future that is in Cyberpunk games?

it might just be me but I have kidn of wanted recently a cyberpunk game but set in a beautiful future where we fixed all the environmental and social problems of the past, only for our characters to see it is a new guilded age.

Beautiful on the outside, but corrupt and sinister on the inside.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 21, 2015, 09:26:10 AM
Am I the only one who has gotten tired of the almost post apocalyptic, dark and damp future that is in Cyberpunk games?

it might just be me but I have kidn of wanted recently a cyberpunk game but set in a beautiful future where we fixed all the environmental and social problems of the past, only for our characters to see it is a new guilded age.

Beautiful on the outside, but corrupt and sinister on the inside.

There's plenty of those, too. Besides, the darker ones have more conflict and are more fun because of it. Plus then there's hope for rebuilding and advancement, whereas with the pretty stuff all there is to look forward to is its destruction.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on March 21, 2015, 04:35:18 PM
There's plenty of those, too. Besides, the darker ones have more conflict and are more fun because of it. Plus then there's hope for rebuilding and advancement, whereas with the pretty stuff all there is to look forward to is its destruction.

I guess you have a point there.  :-)

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 21, 2015, 04:40:48 PM
I guess you have a point there.  :-)

Speaking of those types of movies, though, I really wish there was a sequel to Idiocracy.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on March 21, 2015, 10:52:21 PM
Speaking of those types of movies, though, I really wish there was a sequel to Idiocracy.

Im fine with it not having a sequel. You can only make the "Everyone else is an idiot" joke so many times.

Mathim

Aw, come on, give Mike Judge the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if Luke Wilson started people back on the path to intelligence, it would be fun to see how badly the idiots fuck up along the way.

Lustful Bride

john Wick: Just John Wick.

I have not had so much fun with an action movie in so long. I just agghh *geeking out* I love it! I love that for once in an action movie we see a protagonist (I wouldn't use the word Hero for Wick) play things smart. He wears a bulletproof vest under his clothes because he knows he is likely to get hit, carries more than one weapon on him and shock of all shocks! He actually reloads his gun, constantly in fact.  XD  Hell he even runs out of ammo! And I love how he actually gets hurt, requiring stitches, painkillers and a hospital by the end of the movie.

I love this movie and I hope future action movies pay attention to it and are taking notes.

Joel

@#$# such a pleasant surprise that movie.  I was leery of it at first, but it was so refreshing to have an action flick be so grounded.  And there's that overarching theme in it where it's a conflict between the emotional rational and the logical rational.  All the characters are insane of course, but couching their insanity inside of the hyper rational order of the Hotel and the coin system just does it for the movie I think.  Likewise, Wick's response to bad things happening to him is to pretend like his responses are rationally motivated when it's precisely the opposite and everyone in the movie knows that.  If there wasn't the bad stuff happening to him to give him a reason to act that way then he'd read as a little psychopathic.  If he was just acting out of rage and revenge then he'd just be a maniac.  Having the two at the same time though, the emotional and the rational... makes him not only compelling, but super intimidating right? 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Joel on March 23, 2015, 05:23:39 PM
@#$# such a pleasant surprise that movie.  I was leery of it at first, but it was so refreshing to have an action flick be so grounded.  And there's that overarching theme in it where it's a conflict between the emotional rational and the logical rational.  All the characters are insane of course, but couching their insanity inside of the hyper rational order of the Hotel and the coin system just does it for the movie I think.  Likewise, Wick's response to bad things happening to him is to pretend like his responses are rationally motivated when it's precisely the opposite and everyone in the movie knows that.  If there wasn't the bad stuff happening to him to give him a reason to act that way then he'd read as a little psychopathic.  If he was just acting out of rage and revenge then he'd just be a maniac.  Having the two at the same time though, the emotional and the rational... makes him not only compelling, but super intimidating right?

I know what you mean. Though I thought the whole
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
bit about him going to get revenge over his dog being killed
might have been meant as a playful jab of sorts to the standard movie idea of 'A Man out for Revenge!'. But what do I know?  :P

Still I loved all the world building that they did too and I could see all manners of spinoffs being made in this world they have made.

By the way one of the guys in the scene I posted has the same beard as your avi!  :o

Joel

the world was so downplayed.  you know.. it really felt like a samurai story.  the overemphasis on order when the reality of it is the furthest thing from order.  you go through all these conventions, but in the end the reasons for going through those conventions is because the people involved in it are craaazy.

and ha! I loved that mechanism too with the dog.  it's instead of doing the normal thing like having them kill his wife and kid (e.g., mad max), they'd kill the dog, which became the surrogate of his wife.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Joel on March 23, 2015, 05:36:36 PM
the world was so downplayed.  you know.. it really felt like a samurai story.  the overemphasis on order when the reality of it is the furthest thing from order.  you go through all these conventions, but in the end the reasons for going through those conventions is because the people involved in it are craaazy.

and ha! I loved that mechanism too with the dog.  it's instead of doing the normal thing like having them kill his wife and kid (e.g., mad max), they'd kill the dog, which became the surrogate of his wife.

Im not gonna lie when I heard
the sounds of the puppy crying as Greyjoy and his chronies beat it to death
I flinched and covered my ears. It hits at home and by the end of it I was like "Make em scream John."

CaptainNexus616

Its a clever angle really concerning the dog. While it is tragic to see a person lose their family it is by standard a cliché narrative one that many people will not care about the family as they did not have time to build the family's characters up. You don't need to worry about that with dogs that much.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌