Ideas and Scenarious you wish happened.

Started by Lustful Bride, November 03, 2014, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 08, 2015, 08:35:35 AM
Well unlike Star Trek which lived through TV after Return of the Jedi was released that was the end of the Star Wars available as visual media (besides a short lived Ewok show) the main plot of star wars was done with by thst timfore. Howeved people still wanted to enjoy storiesin that universe. Like what happened to Luke did he bring back the Jedi? Did Han and Leia ever get married? ( all the above did happen) Lucasfilms basically granted rights for other forms of media to make stories like books, comics, games and so on. The games are really nkt considered canon but the bulk of the books post Return of the Jedi essentially continued the story. It did that somewhat well and it followed a timeline where it reached the point the original gang reached their elder years. This is basically what the Expanded Universe was a continuation of the story.

Plus...its one thing for a fan to write an alternate story like if Anakin didn't turn or Leia remained Jabba's sexy slave. However when your a professional movie director and you say 'hey I am throwing a bulk of the history away to do things my way and make it canon without rebooting the whole universe' That is a really big middle finger to a lot of Fans who know the Expanded Universe and love the stories. Which is also a considerable amount of the group your wanting to pull into watch this film.

I am keeping an open mind about Episode VII but JJ Abraham's fan fiction approach to changing canon bugs me. If you don't have the guts to follow or use pre established events in a universe then make it an alternate universe instead of twisting canon around.

Wow, that's kind of like going in reverse from how comic book fans hate how the movies are portraying them. Since Star Wars started out on the screen and the follow-ups took the form of print, I don't really get how them going back to their roots and doing a film isn't then okay to make all that fanwritten stuff non-canon. My only concern (but honestly I stopped caring since the prequels all sucked) is that there won't be any improvement at this stage either.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Vorian

Quote from: Mathim on February 08, 2015, 10:51:16 AM
Wow, that's kind of like going in reverse from how comic book fans hate how the movies are portraying them. Since Star Wars started out on the screen and the follow-ups took the form of print, I don't really get how them going back to their roots and doing a film isn't then okay to make all that fanwritten stuff non-canon. My only concern (but honestly I stopped caring since the prequels all sucked) is that there won't be any improvement at this stage either.

For one, a lot of the written stuff is infinitely better than any of the movie or TV followups since the original trilogy.

For two, since it was presented as the canon continuation of the 'verse for so long (unlike Star Trek, where the books were never treated as even remotely canon) that's the universe at least a good portion of the fans are invested in.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Vorian on February 08, 2015, 11:51:57 AM
For one, a lot of the written stuff is infinitely better than any of the movie or TV followups since the original trilogy.

For two, since it was presented as the canon continuation of the 'verse for so long (unlike Star Trek, where the books were never treated as even remotely canon) that's the universe at least a good portion of the fans are invested in.

*nods* I was so upset because I was told that the new trilogy would have bene about the Vohng which in the SW are basically the Borg...only more evil and sick.

Vorian

I'd actually consider the Yuuzhan Vong just about the exact opposite of the Borg - they're technophobic, xenophobic religious fanatics bent on genocide whereas the Borg are fundamentally about incorporating the best of other cultures into themselves in the pursuit of perfection. They fill a similar plot role as powerful outside context villains, but that's all they have in common.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas

Mathim

It just seems a bit like they would have been better off making some canon out of the post-episode VI stuff by doing cartoons and whatnot of those instead of the Clone Wars crap.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

I just realized that in The Man Of Steel. they missed a perfect opportunity to have a Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) cameo.

When the Air Force was fighting with Zod and his forces one of the pilots could have proven to be trouble some for them and they threw him out of his plane, only for him to be saved by Clark, and on his vest his name would read "Jordan" or something like that.  :P

Vorian

Speaking of Man of Steel, I wish they would have used Lois as the main viewpoint character. It would have been a chance to actually develop her as a character, and the plot would have flowed so much better getting the flashbacks of Clark's childhood as Lois found out about them.
Ideas

Lustful Bride

Say hello to the new ghostbusters team everyone...four women ive never heard off and after looking them up have not laughed even once.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/first-photo-of-the-new-ghostbusters-cast-together-kristen-wiig-melissa-mccarthy-leslie-jones-and-kate-mckinnon-unite/ar-BBhHp4s?ocid=HPCDHP

*flips table* They should have just brought the old cast in with some random young characters (and I mean random) and made it just a callback to the old movies or something...this sucks!

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 18, 2015, 08:03:48 AM
Say hello to the new ghostbusters team everyone...four women ive never heard off and after looking them up have not laughed even once.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/first-photo-of-the-new-ghostbusters-cast-together-kristen-wiig-melissa-mccarthy-leslie-jones-and-kate-mckinnon-unite/ar-BBhHp4s?ocid=HPCDHP

*flips table* They should have just brought the old cast in with some random young characters (and I mean random) and made it just a callback to the old movies or something...this sucks!

Two of the Bridesmaids (at least that I remember) reuniting for this? Can any of them even pass for a scientist? The real Ghostbusters had two legit brainiacs, what are they going to do about these women? I've honestly seen Wiig and McCarthy in stuff that I'd never buy them as being college-educated. But if this is going to be as funny as Bridesmaids (the only time I laughed was when they got diarrhea while fitting dresses) then I won't be disappointed because my expectations will be below rock-bottom.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on February 18, 2015, 08:29:50 AM
Two of the Bridesmaids (at least that I remember) reuniting for this? Can any of them even pass for a scientist? The real Ghostbusters had two legit brainiacs, what are they going to do about these women? I've honestly seen Wiig and McCarthy in stuff that I'd never buy them as being college-educated. But if this is going to be as funny as Bridesmaids (the only time I laughed was when they got diarrhea while fitting dresses) then I won't be disappointed because my expectations will be below rock-bottom.

I know..i personally will be sticking with the IDW comics and the 360 Ghostbusters game, they feel much more faithfull to the franchise....hell! The comics even make mention and include the rookie ghostbuster you play as in the videogame!

>_< God Hollywood execs are idiots...*gonna spend all day fanraging over this and grumbling to herself*

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 18, 2015, 08:33:05 AM
I know..i personally will be sticking with the IDW comics and the 360 Ghostbusters game, they feel much more faithfull to the franchise....hell! The comics even make mention and include the rookie ghostbuster you play as in the videogame!

>_< God Hollywood execs are idiots...*gonna spend all day fanraging over this and grumbling to herself*

Why can't they just be the offspring of the original Ghostbusters in this sequel? Maybe Oscar and his younger sibling if Dana and Peter ever had another kid. Ray's kid, Egon's kid, maybe even Winston's kid too. That way there could be a more open group dynamic, some males, some females, and it won't feel like transparent pandering. And the reason they could give for why such an otherwise lame concept brings all the kids together is to fulfill some kind of prophecy.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on February 18, 2015, 08:44:00 AM
Why can't they just be the offspring of the original Ghostbusters in this sequel? Maybe Oscar and his younger sibling if Dana and Peter ever had another kid. Ray's kid, Egon's kid, maybe even Winston's kid too. That way there could be a more open group dynamic, some males, some females, and it won't feel like transparent pandering. And the reason they could give for why such an otherwise lame concept brings all the kids together is to fulfill some kind of prophecy.

.....Sir..i think yu might have a thousand more braincells than Hollywood. T_T that's not a half bad idea.

They could of even had it be that Oscar was always haunted by ghosts all his life due to his connection with Vigo and almost being controlled by him as a baby.  Possible same thing for Ray's children. *shrug*

There was originally a script somewhere where the ghostbsters were supposed to fight Satan after the apocalypse began...I would pay every last dollar I own to see that! A post apocalyptic ghostbusters!

Edit:...that would be a good group game perhaps.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 18, 2015, 08:49:26 AM

.....Sir..i think yu might have a thousand more braincells than Hollywood. T_T that's not a half bad idea.

They could of even had it be that Oscar was always haunted by ghosts all his life due to his connection with Vigo and almost being controlled by him as a baby.  Possible same thing for Ray's children. *shrug*

There was originally a script somewhere where the ghostbsters were supposed to fight Satan after the apocalypse began...I would pay every last dollar I own to see that! A post apocalyptic ghostbusters!

Edit:...that would be a good group game perhaps.

Or maybe just have them descend into hell to prevent the apocalypse. Getting a little tired of New York as a backdrop to stuff like this. Give me the underworld any day.

CaptainNexus616

I'm more than annoyed they decided to reboot the franchise. They were planning on doing a third SEQUEL till Harold Ramis passed away (RIP). Now that he is gone. Hey lets just do another Reboot because that's the cool way to do things and rake in all the money from a famous franchise *Slams head into desk*
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Oh, another reboot? I mean, if they did it right the first time, a reboot/remake is unjustified. Unless it exceeds the original(s) in every way, then that can't be permissible. And does anyone honestly think it could achieve this?

And to get back on track, I really wish Star Trek Into Darkness hadn't just been a reboot of Wrath of Khan. Here's how it should have gone down in my opinion:

Keep the whole John Harrison thing the way it is, we didn't need to see him being all super soldier-y outside of his use of strategy or technology until Cronos. We come to find out he's a mercenary hired by a rogue faction of Klingons that is actively trying to push the rest of their civilization into total war against the Federation. He's captured by the crew but they are intercepted by the Klingons before they can get back tot he Enterprise. It is at this point that he reveals he's been experimented upon and has the kind of strength Khan does, but it doesn't make him practically invulnerable just so it's believable that a tag-team of Kirk and Spock could take him down together later on. Another chase by the Klingons nearly destroys them but then their pursuers are blasted away by the Vengeance which is revealed also to have cloaking technology. Admiral Marcus reveals that in fact it was he who made the arrangement with the Klingons who hired Harrison, because he was the one who wanted to start the war in the first place, on his terms, and that now that Kirk and the rest knew the truth, they had to be eliminated. Harrison, who had basically been blackmailed into this whole thing, being a former criminal whose sentence was suspended due to his voluntary participation in the procedure that gave him his strength, also wants to help. And that's when the whole "Khan takes over the Vengeance" thing happens. I think from that point it would have been fairly good as long as they completely went away from the Khan thing. Oh, and no need to rehash that whole "Kirk/Spock dying' thing. Those little references were cute the first time but they didn't devote entire scenes to them.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on February 19, 2015, 08:09:43 AM
Oh, another reboot? I mean, if they did it right the first time, a reboot/remake is unjustified. Unless it exceeds the original(s) in every way, then that can't be permissible. And does anyone honestly think it could achieve this?

And to get back on track, I really wish Star Trek Into Darkness hadn't just been a reboot of Wrath of Khan. Here's how it should have gone down in my opinion:

Keep the whole John Harrison thing the way it is, we didn't need to see him being all super soldier-y outside of his use of strategy or technology until Cronos. We come to find out he's a mercenary hired by a rogue faction of Klingons that is actively trying to push the rest of their civilization into total war against the Federation. He's captured by the crew but they are intercepted by the Klingons before they can get back tot he Enterprise. It is at this point that he reveals he's been experimented upon and has the kind of strength Khan does, but it doesn't make him practically invulnerable just so it's believable that a tag-team of Kirk and Spock could take him down together later on. Another chase by the Klingons nearly destroys them but then their pursuers are blasted away by the Vengeance which is revealed also to have cloaking technology. Admiral Marcus reveals that in fact it was he who made the arrangement with the Klingons who hired Harrison, because he was the one who wanted to start the war in the first place, on his terms, and that now that Kirk and the rest knew the truth, they had to be eliminated. Harrison, who had basically been blackmailed into this whole thing, being a former criminal whose sentence was suspended due to his voluntary participation in the procedure that gave him his strength, also wants to help. And that's when the whole "Khan takes over the Vengeance" thing happens. I think from that point it would have been fairly good as long as they completely went away from the Khan thing. Oh, and no need to rehash that whole "Kirk/Spock dying' thing. Those little references were cute the first time but they didn't devote entire scenes to them.

Reboots sadly are all Hollywood Execs can come up with anymore in between counting their money. Even then they put 1/4 the effort into it and just let the franchises reputation do the rest to put butts in chairs. The fans may hate it but all the Execs care about is the profit they pulled in. The whole reason why Michael Bay is making another Transformers and Ninjas Turtles as we speak.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 19, 2015, 08:25:45 AM
Reboots sadly are all Hollywood Execs can come up with anymore in between counting their money. Even then they put 1/4 the effort into it and just let the franchises reputation do the rest to put butts in chairs. The fans may hate it but all the Execs care about is the profit they pulled in. The whole reason why Michael Bay is making another Transformers and Ninjas Turtles as we speak.

Yeah, it seems like upwards of 50% of all movies coming out are reboots/remakes, sequels, prequels or alternative universe/spinoffs (kind of like how This Is 40 wasn't really a sequel to Knocked Up).

CaptainNexus616

Just when I didn't think it was possible....when I didn't think it was possible. They are doing a Reboot Looney Toons film. Looks like one of the producers for Harry Potter whom also produced I am Legend, Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, and Yes Man is part of the team. While Steve Carell will have the lead role. Seems like its going to be much like its predecessor movies being a mix of CG and live action.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 20, 2015, 10:51:36 AM
Just when I didn't think it was possible....when I didn't think it was possible. They are doing a Reboot Looney Toons film. Looks like one of the producers for Harry Potter whom also produced I am Legend, Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, and Yes Man is part of the team. While Steve Carell will have the lead role. Seems like its going to be much like its predecessor movies being a mix of CG and live action.

You know what they should do instead? "Who Discovered Roger Rabbit". It was supposed to be the prequel but it never got made. It would be an awesome idea in my opinion; the first one won an Academy Award, I think.

Lustful Bride

Was I the only one who ever wished to see a movie or book or whatever based off of this music video?

its a wonderful song and I was always fascinated by the little story we saw here and it could just be taken any number of ways.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 20, 2015, 09:21:32 PM
Was I the only one who ever wished to see a movie or book or whatever based off of this music video?

its a wonderful song and I was always fascinated by the little story we saw here and it could just be taken any number of ways.

That song always annoyed me. But there's a hentai comic with that same title.

Aeons

This is a great thread, I have a lot of these sort of ideas.  one that pops into mind right away is Nolan's Batman trilogy.  I felt like the third movie really missed the mark on what could have been a great concept.  My recipe for fixing it, in much less detail than it exists in my own head:

Dark Knight Rises needs to be split into two movies.  You need to build up the stakes, which they were much too rushed on.  the first movie is Batman's fall.  Bane arrives in Gotham, operating from the shadows and slowly destroys Batman bit by bit--his fortune gone, his technology stolen, his new girlfriend killed, his identity discovered, the police hunting him.  In utter suicidal desperation, Batman finally faces Bane.  Catwoman betrays him, Bane defeats him and breaks his back.  Gotham is now in Bane's hands while Batman languishes in capture, forced to watch it come under martial law. 

That is the first movie, it ends on a very sour note.  However, during it we meet Catwoman and Blake.  Blake is dogging Batman's steps the whole time, demonstrating his ability as a detective.  The second movie revolves around Batman finding his way back from total defeat, but also him witnessing that there are others willing to defend Gotham.  Catwoman makes a turn from villain to hero, fighting against Bane and his occupation, Blake finds the Batcave and takes up teh mantle of Batman.  Inspired, Batman trains himself back to health, returns to fight Bane (and wiser this time, instead of just trying to punch him... again).

Along the way it is revealed to us and Bruce that his girlfriend who Bane killed was actually Talia, and that she is behind this, not really Bane.  Bane wants to rule Gotham, to rid of it crime in League of Shadows fashion, but Talia wants revenge.  The end involves not just finding a way to beat the unbeatable Bane, but to outsmart Talia.  Bruce learns he has to rely on others, not just himself, and Blake and Catwoman help to save the day.

*drops mic*

Mathim

Quote from: Aeons on March 02, 2015, 12:36:39 PM
This is a great thread, I have a lot of these sort of ideas.  one that pops into mind right away is Nolan's Batman trilogy.  I felt like the third movie really missed the mark on what could have been a great concept.  My recipe for fixing it, in much less detail than it exists in my own head:

Dark Knight Rises needs to be split into two movies.  You need to build up the stakes, which they were much too rushed on.  the first movie is Batman's fall.  Bane arrives in Gotham, operating from the shadows and slowly destroys Batman bit by bit--his fortune gone, his technology stolen, his new girlfriend killed, his identity discovered, the police hunting him.  In utter suicidal desperation, Batman finally faces Bane.  Catwoman betrays him, Bane defeats him and breaks his back.  Gotham is now in Bane's hands while Batman languishes in capture, forced to watch it come under martial law. 

That is the first movie, it ends on a very sour note.  However, during it we meet Catwoman and Blake.  Blake is dogging Batman's steps the whole time, demonstrating his ability as a detective.  The second movie revolves around Batman finding his way back from total defeat, but also him witnessing that there are others willing to defend Gotham.  Catwoman makes a turn from villain to hero, fighting against Bane and his occupation, Blake finds the Batcave and takes up teh mantle of Batman.  Inspired, Batman trains himself back to health, returns to fight Bane (and wiser this time, instead of just trying to punch him... again).

Along the way it is revealed to us and Bruce that his girlfriend who Bane killed was actually Talia, and that she is behind this, not really Bane.  Bane wants to rule Gotham, to rid of it crime in League of Shadows fashion, but Talia wants revenge.  The end involves not just finding a way to beat the unbeatable Bane, but to outsmart Talia.  Bruce learns he has to rely on others, not just himself, and Blake and Catwoman help to save the day.

*drops mic*

While I agree and pretend that this third one never happened, I'd have gone a different route. First, leave Bane's origin growing up in a South American prison in a war-torn sort of place, rising to prominence as a warlord and simply deciding to hunt the Batman, as bats also haunted him in the prison, from a similar childhood incident. Then instead of simply turning Gotham into a ticking timebomb under mob rule, he distributes Venom in order to give the criminals of Gotham an edge over the Batman. This would also not take place too much after TDK, 8 years was ridiculous.

Bane, being the biggest Venom abuser of them all, easily whups Bats and the whole imprisoning thing goes according to how it did in the movie but no Talia at all. Before Bats returns to Gotham (which would be a lot easier to explain since he'll be in South American instead of overseas; no one questions Bruce Banner getting back to the States by hitchhiking in The Incredible Hulk so this would prevent that from being asked here too) we see Bane experiencing some debilitating side effects from Venom and having to stop even though the withdrawal will hit him even harder. This way Batman has a more fair fight when he comes back and his triumph isn't just some bullcrappy "I'm not going to be caught by surprise this time" type of thing. His whole deal with Catwoman and her redemption should stay, but I would have omitted the John Blake character entirely. I don't know what it is but Joseph Gordon-Levitt just can't stop giving off that smug look on his face like he's such hot shit, it's more irritating than Owen Wilson's insincere expression he can't seem to get rid of.

Aeons

I agree with you on the 8 year think, and JGL's smug grin.  I have a hard time taking his characters seriously.  And the 8 year thing was really my biggest problem with the movie.  Mostly because coming into it we as viewers not only had to accept that we'd missed 8 years, but we were supposed to believe Batman had stopped being Batman for eight years.  Sorry, you're going to have to earn that point.  Espeically if you want to make it a dramatic point that he decides to be Batman again.  Guess what, last we knew five minutes before walking in the theater, he *was* Batman.  I thought that was poor storytelling.

Mathim

Quote from: Aeons on March 03, 2015, 07:26:21 AM
I agree with you on the 8 year think, and JGL's smug grin.  I have a hard time taking his characters seriously.  And the 8 year thing was really my biggest problem with the movie.  Mostly because coming into it we as viewers not only had to accept that we'd missed 8 years, but we were supposed to believe Batman had stopped being Batman for eight years.  Sorry, you're going to have to earn that point.  Espeically if you want to make it a dramatic point that he decides to be Batman again.  Guess what, last we knew five minutes before walking in the theater, he *was* Batman.  I thought that was poor storytelling.

I also wish Nolan would do a better job with his female characters. So many of them have really bad parts and dialogue, it's like he has no idea how to write for female characters. The only one even remotely tolerable was Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. He really should never have cast Marion Cotillard in any of his films, she's awful when it comes to delivering dialogue in English.