Interest Check: A Battletech game (MUL)

Started by The American Patriot, July 21, 2008, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anathanasia

I believe FASA originally had the right to use designs from several anime (Macross, Crusher Joe, and one or two others I forget). But they didn't renew or somesuch. Then got sued by the big Japanese studios' parent companies.

But yeah, either way, I say we stick to the original looks of the original 14 mechs (I just want to state it for consistency). The newer mech designs are mostly complete piles of steaming feces.

I'm in the same boat as sleepingferret, I think I still have most of the Battletech books I bougt in the late 80s and early 90s, but they in a box in the storage lockup somewhere. I know there's lots of good online sources yet, so I'm in no hurry to go digging.

Someone who's not me going to start something up? ;D
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

JadeCore

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 11, 2008, 05:50:20 PM
This thread is going on what, 2 weeks old?  And the OP hasn't responded at all.  :'(

I got an email from the OP explaining their sudden absence. Patriot was in a car accident back at the end of July and is still in the hospital; internet access is fairly limited and while Patriot wants to get back as soon as possible, getting better is his main focus.

sleepingferret

Well send him our best wishes from all the Battletech nerds from E, and tell him to get better soon so at the very least we can all duke it out in the Solaris circuit. :P

Oh and I at least found my Battletech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare (FASA 1690), my 2nd edition Mechwarrior book, and the 3050 and 3055 tech readouts.  Can't seem to find my other stuff though, I know I had stuff like the Mercenaries book, some earlier tech readouts, at least the 3057, if not the 3058 as well...and the revised edition of the 3050.

Knowing my luck probably got mixed up with my friend's stuff, that I haven't seen or talked to in ages.  Oh well, I got at least the basic stuff sitting by my desk again.  And I'm looking around the net for copies of things, including considering rebuilding my miniature collection for any tabletop games.

Seereous

I have the 3rd edition MechWarrior RPG book. Tech Readouts 3050, 3055, 3058, 3067, 3075 and the Project Phoenix Tech Readout. I also have the Field Manual Mercenaries and all of the Updates (3 of them I think). Oh yeah...both of the Intersteller Players as well. I love the first one, it has a section about the Bounty Hunter and the custom configurations of all of his Mechs. Very, very nice. :)

The American Patriot

hi everyone, i can wait to get back and build a really good campaign. we will more than likely be mostly freeform in play with 3rd ed mecwarrrior rpg acting as a guide....i dont have my glasses (they were destroyed in the wreck. and the VA has promised me new ones within the next week. so we might get to play before i get out of here if i can get online on a regular basis... i don't have my books here so we'd have to work mostly freeform until i can get to my books..

"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Anathanasia

Good to know you're okay. :)

Here's a couple links with some good stuff:
Mechs: http://www.chaosmarch.com/index.cfm
Resources: http://www.solaris7.com/
3e Mechwarrior Online Character Generator: http://www.netbattletech.com/nbt-solaris/char_management/pilot_main.php

The generator was a little flawed when we kinda started that other battletech game here 18 months ago or whatever it was; wouldn't let you spend the remainders of your skill points, which can really kick you in the ass in Mechwarrior 3e. I'll sign up again sometime over the weekend, check it out and let you all know.

On the game itself, I think we want to do it mostly freeform anyways. Battletech is a fun combat system, but it'd be seriously tedious to try and run forum games. I think we should try using character stats as guidelines, with a bit of behind-the-scenes GM rolling when someone does something dramatic that could serisously effect the battle. This would also let us play up the cool mech stuff without the hard limitations of the tabletop, y'know?

patriot, what were you thinking for section ([Van], [NC]...that stuff) and are you okay with altering your plan so we're a merc unit? It let people have a little more freedom on backgrounds.

The American Patriot

Thank you so much for thost links!

I was thinking mostly [Van], but [NC] might end up happening. so it's up to the players, i jut want to get a chance to play some Battletech again.

As for the group being Merc unit, it's not a big deal! :) I had a Merc unit called the Dogs of War that might end up being the name of the group we put together (i'll scan the logo i created for the Unit as soon as i get back home and have access to the scanner).

I had thought of running an old idea where the PCs are the onss who go into the Pheriphery and create a new 'micro-successor state' out of some of the pheriphery states just past the Free Worlds League, and end up getting into a war with the Word of Blake for their efforts.

The micro-successor state they create will be the March Worlds Republic, and would be composed of the Cincinuw Federation, Niops, and ohers (afer a nice battle with the Marian Hedgemony they absorb all that territory as well).

When i get home i can get more info about the campaign, and the players can decide if they want to play the 'nation building', or the 'War' that will be fought with the Word of Blake and the Free Worlds League a year later that solified the creation of the Mardh Worlds Republic.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

sleepingferret

I checked the character generator out... way too many flaws, and especially with the skill point totaling at the end.  I had gone through and spent like 6 points in Mech Piloting and at least 2 of the 3 Gunnery skills, and at the end it said I spent 2 in each.

It's random event generator was also not very random, I went through a few got generally the same events.

Anathanasia

Bugger, I was hoping they'd fixed it. Guess I'll have to go brave the dust-rhinos and dig around for that box with my Battletech books if we actually get this going.

As for me, I still say we should have it in one of the [NC] forums. I'm actually more interested in the 'real' RP in the old Inner Sphere/Battletech universe than the erotic RP, but I'd prefer to not limit what can happen. Especially because I'm rarely interested in vanilla (when I am, it'd usually have to be lesbian) and would much rather RP combat than consensual M/F relations. That's not saying everyone else in the game can't do that if they want, just that it's not of interest to me.

I would prefer the war scenario, rather than the nation building. I think a small merc unit would be best, no more than a mech company say. More managable, and less permanent NPCs for the GM to have to worry about.

The American Patriot

A merc company it will be then! If we get enough players we might be able to fill the entire command... when you get your books dug-ut let me know so we can work to gether to build the NPCs since my books are at my home in Monore while i am here in Asheville. :(

Seereous

Will this be a Mech only company, or will there be other support such as armor or infantry?

The American Patriot

yes, there will be support personnel.

a platoon of techs, a platoon of regular infantry (for security), a platoon of armored infantry (armor acquired during the fighting in the choas march), and a flight (lance) of aerospace fighters.

and we will have our own dropship!

Anathanasia

Cool stuff. I'm putting together my dig team, I'll hopefully have a successful expedition and return shortly with battletech books, heh.

The American Patriot

Killer. once you're back with the books let me know so we can get started on working on those NPCs. :)

Seereous

What technology level are we using? What year Tech Readout can we pick our Mechs from? 3050 and 3055. Also, what's the unit's specialty and what weight class did you want us to be at? At we a mixed company? Heavies? Assaults? Mediums?

I'm just trying to get an idea for what Mech to pick.   :D

The American Patriot

Quote from: Seereous on August 20, 2008, 06:47:32 PM
What technology level are we using? What year Tech Readout can we pick our Mechs from? 3050 and 3055. Also, what's the unit's specialty and what weight class did you want us to be at? At we a mixed company? Heavies? Assaults? Mediums?

I'm just trying to get an idea for what Mech to pick.   :D

No worries guy, we are going to be playing during the period that the Capellan Confederation invasion and subsequent annexation of the St. Ives Compact. The Cossacks are going to be a medium to heavy company. one of the lances will be composed of heavy and assault 'mechs as the 'heavy hitters... And one lance will be composed of light and medium 'mechs as the hit and run group... Basicly the Cossacks are a raiding force. 

This is a temporary Unit Roster to give an idea of the unit... replace the rank of Mechwarrior Sergeant with the rank of Junior Lieutenant.

Tikonov Cossacks Company “<unit nickname>” Unit Roster

<surname>’s Command Lance ()
D (Major <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
D (Mechwarrior Sergeant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

<>’s <> Lance ()
D (Captain <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

<>’s <> Lance ()
D (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

<>’s <> Lance ()
D (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

Support Group “<d>” (Senior Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Infantry Support Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Armored Infantry Support Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Armored Support Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Security Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

Technical Support Group “<d>” (Senior Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Technical Support Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)
Technical Support Platoon “<d>” (Lieutenant <first name> <middle name> “<callsign>” <surname>)

This is the ranks of the Cossacks.. The Cossacks will (hopefully) grow in size as the game progresses, and the unit expands to Regimental Combat Team size.

Márshal (Marshal)
Generál Ármii (General of the Army)
Generál-Polkóvnik (Colonel General)
Generál-Leytenánt (Lieutenant General)
Generál-Mayór (Major General)
Polkóvnik (Colonel)
Podpolkóvnik (Lt. Colonel)
Mayór (Major)
Kapitán (Captain)
Stárshiy Leytenánt (Senior Lieutenant)
Leytenánt (Leutenant)
Mládshiy Leytenánt (Junior Lieutenant)

Stárshiy Práporshchik (Senior Warrant Officer)
Práporshchik (Warrant Officer)

Starshiná (Sergeant Major)
Stárshiy Serzhánt (Senior Sergeant)
Serzhánt (Sergeant)
Mládshiy Serzhánt (Junior Sergeant)
Yefréytor (Gefreiter)
Ryadovóy (Private)

sleepingferret

What about variant models or moderate customizations?  I was considering the MAD-5A Marauder II, and doing a bit of work with it.

I was thinking of giving it a heavier engine, an endo steel chassis, a total of twenty double heat sinks, up its jump capacity to 120 meters, swap the autocannon for a third extended range particle projection cannon, and depending on rule level add either a ECM suite or laser anti-missile system (laser AMS being classified as level 3, and therefore not standard tournament level play equipment).

Or I was thinking of taking the MAD-5D Marauder and changing its layout by removing the Streak SRM 2 rack, adding an additional double heat sink and two medium lasers.

The American Patriot

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 20, 2008, 11:19:59 PM
What about variant models or moderate customizations?  I was considering the MAD-5A Marauder II, and doing a bit of work with it.

I was thinking of giving it a heavier engine, an endo steel chassis, a total of twenty double heat sinks, up its jump capacity to 120 meters, swap the autocannon for a third extended range particle projection cannon, and depending on rule level add either a ECM suite or laser anti-missile system (laser AMS being classified as level 3, and therefore not standard tournament level play equipment).

Or I was thinking of taking the MAD-5D Marauder and changing its layout by removing the Streak SRM 2 rack, adding an additional double heat sink and two medium lasers.

I don't have a problem with reasonable customization of 'mechs, areospace fighters, vehicles and battlesuits... But i do ask for a good reasonable explaination for how your character got the modifications made to their machines. We will be using the Mechwarrior RPG 3rd Edition rules for character generation, and I will be posting the 'character' sheet that we will be using. This has alot of sections that are meant to draw out as much detailed information as possible about the CHARACTER first and foremost with the technical specifications and data being overshadowed by the actual Character information, and is meant to provide space to give detailed explainations for the stats and data that covers the game mechanics info.

sleepingferret

As far as 'mechs, aerospace fighters, vehicles, battlesuits, and other such things...which rule level are we going by?  Standard tournament level 2, or optional/advanced tech level 3?

Anathanasia

I'm also wondering about tech level and such. How tight to the rules are we going to stick as far as what traits like [Custom Vehicle] and even just [Vehicle] will allow?

Also, I am SOOO not helping make NPCs. I'd forgotten what a pita Mechwarrior 3e is to make characters in. I wouldn't want to do it more than once or twice a campaign. Honestly, I think NPCs can pretty much be fudged by the GM anyways. :P

The American Patriot

Quote from: Anathanasia on August 22, 2008, 06:44:06 AM
I'm also wondering about tech level and such. How tight to the rules are we going to stick as far as what traits like [Custom Vehicle] and even just [Vehicle] will allow?

Also, I am SOOO not helping make NPCs. I'd forgotten what a pita Mechwarrior 3e is to make characters in. I wouldn't want to do it more than once or twice a campaign. Honestly, I think NPCs can pretty much be fudged by the GM anyways. :P

Tech level is going to be Inner Sphere Tech, the game will be taking place in 3063 during the Capellan-St. Ives war, T am not sure about the tournament rules... we will be using fast and loose rules on the equipment, vehicles, aerospace fighters, battlesuits, and battlemechs. you can have what you want (within reason).

The American Patriot

<first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>

Personal Information:

Rank/Title: d

Battlemech/Battlesuit/Aerospace Fighter/Combat Vehicle: d

Other Aliases: "<>"

Affiliations: d

Legal Status: Citizen of the <country> with <A / No> Criminal Record.

Place of Birth: city, Planet, region, counry

Martial Status: single, engaged, married, separated, divorced

Known Relatives: <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (fiancée, age); <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (husband, age); <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (wife, age); <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (mother, age); <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (sister, age); <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname>, profession (brother, age).

Extent of Education: Graduate of the <> w/a <> degree.

Religion: <> (practicing/semi-practicing/non-practicing)

Background Information:

<the character's history>

Statistical Information:

<the basic character stats>

Personal Belongings: d.

Personal Weapons: d.

Home / Residence: d

Personal Vehicle / Transportation: d

Skills: Academics/<> (0), Acrobatics (0), Acting (0), Administration (0), Animal Handling (0), Appraisal (0), Archery (0), Artillery (0), Arts/<> (0), Blades (0), Bombing (0), Boxing (0), Brawling (0), Bureaucracy/(affiliation) (0), Career/<> (0), Chic (0), Climbing (0), Computers/<> (0), Cooking (0), Cryptography (0), Deception (0), Demolitions (0), Disguise (0), Electronic Counter-Measures (0), Engineering (0), Escape Artist (0), Fast Talk (0), First Aid (0), Forgery (0), Forward Observer (0), Free Fall (0), Gambling (0), Gunnery/Ballistic/<> (0), Gunnery/Laser/<> (0), Gunnery/Missile/<> (0), Gunsmith (0), Hunting-Tracking/<> (0), Interests/<> (0), Interrogation (0), Intimidation (0), Investigation (0), Jump Packs (0), Language/<> (0), Perception (0), Pick Pocket (0), Piloting/<> (0), Pistols (0), Poisons and Antidotes (0), Protocol/(affiliation) (0), Pugilism (0), Quickdraw (0), Read Lips (0), Reconnaissance (0), Riding (0), Rifles (0), Running (0), Scrounge (0), Security Systems/<> (0), Seduction (0), Sensor Operations (0), Ship's Crew (0), Shotguns (0), Staffs (0), Stealth (0), Strategy (0), Streetwise (0), Submachine Guns (0), Support Weapons (0), Surgery (0), Surveillance (0), Survival (0), Swimming (0), Tactics/<> (0), Technician/<> (0), Throwing Weapons (0), Tracking (0), Training (0), Whips (0), Zero-G Operations (0). Academics/<> (0), Acrobatics (0), Acting (0), Administration (0), Animal Handling (0), Appraisal (0), Archery (0), Artillery (0), Arts/<> (0), Blades (0), Bombing (0), Boxing (0), Brawling (0), Bureaucracy/(affiliation) (0), Career/<> (0), Chic (0), Climbing (0), Computers/<> (0), Cooking (0), Cryptography (0), Deception (0), Demolitions (0), Disguise (0), Electronic Counter-Measures (0), Engineering (0), Escape Artist (0), Fast Talk (0), First Aid (0), Forgery (0), Forward Observer (0), Free Fall (0), Gambling (0), Gunnery/Ballistic/<> (0), Gunnery/Laser/<> (0), Gunnery/Missile/<> (0), Gunsmith (0), Hunting-Tracking/<> (0), Interests/<> (0), Interrogation (0), Intimidation (0), Investigation (0), Jump Packs (0), Language/<> (0), Perception (0), Pick Pocket (0), Piloting/<> (0), Pistols (0), Poisons and Antidotes (0), Protocol/(affiliation) (0), Pugilism (0), Quickdraw (0), Read Lips (0), Reconnaissance (0), Riding (0), Rifles (0), Running (0), Scrounge (0), Security Systems/<> (0), Seduction (0), Sensor Operations (0), Ship's Crew (0), Shotguns (0), Staffs (0), Stealth (0), Strategy (0), Streetwise (0), Submachine Guns (0), Support Weapons (0), Surgery (0), Surveillance (0), Survival (0), Swimming (0), Tactics/<> (0), Technician/<> (0), Throwing Weapons (0), Tracking (0), Training (0), Whips (0), Zero-G Operations (0).

Languages: <> (native), <> (fluent), <> (speak-only), <> (literate-only).

Traits: Addiction/<>, Alertness, Allergy/<>, Alternate Identity, Alternate Identity (Advanced), Ambidextrous, Amnesia, Animal Antipathy, Animal Empathy, Attractive, Bad Reputation, Birthplace, Bloodmark, Bloodname, Brave, Capellan Warrior House, Clumsy, Combat Paralysis, Combat Sense, Commission, Contact, Custom Vehicle, Dark Secret, Demotion, Dependants, Disabled, EI Neural Implant, Elemental Phenotype, Enemy, Exceptional Attribute, Fast Learner, Fighter Pilot Phenotype, Fit, G-Tolerance, Glass Jaw, Glory, Good Hearing, Good Reputation, Good Vision, Gregarious, High Endurance, Impatient, In For Life, Introvert, Land Grant, The Brotherhood, Lemon, Lost Limb, Low Endurance, Madness/<>, Mechwarrior Phenotype, Natural Aptitude, Night Blindness, Night Vision, Owns Vehicle, Pain Resistance, Patience, Patron, Poison Resistance, Poor Hearing, Poor Vision, Poorly Equipped, Poverty, Prominence, Prominence/Current, Prominence/Highest, Promotion, Property, Proud Heritage, Quirk/(see Quirk list), Rank, Shameful Heritage, Sixth Sense, Slow Learner, Solaris Rank, Special Item, Stigma/(see stigma list), Transit Disorient Syndrome (TDS), Tech Empathy, Thick-Skinned, Thin-Skinned, Timid, Title, Toughness, Unattractive, Unattractive (Scars), Unhealthy, Unlucky, Vehicle, Wealth, Wealth (Loaned), Well-Connected, Well-Equipped, WOB Faction.

Physical Information:

Ethnic Group: < d >

Sexual Orientation: < heterosexual/bisexual/homosexual >

Height: 0' 00" (00x-00-00)

Weight: <>lbs

Hair Colour: d

Eye Colour: d

Physical Appearance: <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname> is an <unattractive / below average / average / above average / attractive> looking <AGE>yr old Caucasian female in excellent physical condition for a woman her age, height and build who engages in moderate regular exercise on a daily basis.

Distinguishing Physical Characteristics: <description of tattoos and piercings>.

Normal Attire: <first name> <middle name> '<nickname>' <surname> normally wears <description of clothing>.

Quote(s): "<>."

sleepingferret

It looks more daunting than the 3rd edition character creation mechanics. :P  Just kidding.

--- On a side note, I must be completely out of my mind I think I've spent close to $300 buying miniatures again off ebay.  Well ok, granted one alone was like $65...

And I bought a couple D&D miniatures off another site selling individual miniatures....yeah I've lost my mind...along with a good portion of my last paycheck.

The American Patriot

Quote from: sleepingferret on August 22, 2008, 08:18:47 PM
It looks more daunting than the 3rd edition character creation mechanics. :P  Just kidding.

--- On a side note, I must be completely out of my mind I think I've spent close to $300 buying miniatures again off ebay.  Well ok, granted one alone was like $65...

And I bought a couple D&D miniatures off another site selling individual miniatures....yeah I've lost my mind...along with a good portion of my last paycheck.

Don't feel to bad, i use to have $2000 worth of battletech minitures, but my first ex took them. and i really wish i could have some right now. the rehabilitation of my legs is the only thin that is keeping me here in the VA hospital. and pianting minis really helps pss the time... hours go by and it only feels like minutes have gone by. 

Anathanasia

The one thing I'm missing from that online character generator is the additional lifepath stuff. The book is so limited, I miss the variety. :P

I'm sticking with the same basic concept I had before, because I like the character, but I'd like to play her as a new recruit to the unit, if that's cool. Essentially, she's from a family of 'landed' mercs with long ties to the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance, dating back to the fall of the Star League when her ancestor was one of the many SL Atlas pilots who stuck around figuring they could do well. Essentially part of the nobility, with land and the whole deal (she's the heir), she's well educated (Sangalore Academy on Skye, if I got the name right?) and talented. She has the family mech because her father is teaching at Sangalore, a late-model Star League Atlas (The main diff is it uses endo-steel internals and DHS in the engine), with some weapons refits to give it some of the latest firepower. She's decided to not renew a direct contract with the Lyran's because she wants to travel!

How's that for a nutshell?