LF Pathfinder GM for Planescape Rock(?) Band on Tour

Started by Chanticleer, July 25, 2018, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

QUICK THING.

How combat intensive is this game gonna be? I know that that depends on the players, but personally speaking, I kinda imagine Camilla being more of a lover (and partier) than a fighter. I see her trying to charm and seduce obstacles out of the way more often than punching them, y'know? :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Hunter

I think someone mentioned point buy, so I'll pick the number 30.   I think I've already covered equipment somewhere.

As far as combat, I'll not plan more than once per gig.   As for the airship, think of it as your tour bus.   And yes, sometimes getting there will be part of the challenge.   The band manager's name will be ...  Cattrilla Declaw with her teddy bear eidilon named Perrin.

Please do continue, I'll work up actual game threads when we've hashed out all the details.

Vergil Tanner

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Vergil Tanner

Also: What are we doing about Health? And what restrictions are there on this instrument we're all starting with?

I'm trying to get as much of the sheet done as possible now, since Ill be gone for the weekend (20 hour flight >.> )

Hunter

Hit points: Half plus one, or roll.    Take the higher result.

No real limitation, but something really overpowered might be of limited usage or otherwise gimped.    As an example, it might really be an Axe of the Dwarven Lords...but it also might be cursed to be a paperweight.

Vergil Tanner

Ta muchly!

What limitations would there be on a flamethrower guitar that's also a literal axe? :P :P

Hunter

Vergil Tanner

We-ell, what I'm thinking is that it's not really combat-efficient, and she has to find the money to pay for fuel for the damn thing. I mean, this world doesn't exactly have petrol as a standard resource! Fueling it up is gonna cost some scratch. In my head, I'm thinking...it doesn't actually blast out fire. It can fire out a flammable gas - that has a limit - and she has to use a Cantrip (Spark) to ignite it. Thankfully for a Bard / Skald, they can cast spells whilst playing their instrument, so that isn't an issue. When used as a weapon...well, it would probably be the equivalent of a Simple Axe rather than a martial weapon. It does have the benefit of being summonable via the cantrip "Summon Instrument," though.
Those are just beginner musings, though. I have to sleep, so I shall think more on it when I've had some rest :P

Bibliophilia

Bibliophilia

Well, that was condescending as hell.

I need to seriously consider whether I'm still interested in this, unfortunately.

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 02:48:57 PM
Well, that was condescending as hell.

I need to seriously consider whether I'm still interested in this, unfortunately.

It was not intended to be, my apologies.    I'll simply withdraw from the GM spot and the game then.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

Bibliophilia

Are you kidding me?  So, now, because I expressed how something you said made me feel, you're basically dropping the game and making it my fault?

Thanks, guy.  That helped me make my decision.  I think you should stay, since I'm the only one who seems to have a problem with you being the GM and I do not want to be the reason four other people don't get to play a game they seem excited for.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
Are you kidding me?  So, now, because I expressed how something you said made me feel, you're basically dropping the game and making it my fault?

Thanks, guy.  That helped me make my decision.  I think you should stay, since I'm the only one who seems to have a problem with you being the GM and I do not want to be the reason four other people don't get to play a game they seem excited for.

I missed something...

And I'm not entirely certain I like the impression I'm getting - and not from you, Bib. :/
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Thorne on July 26, 2018, 03:07:55 PM
I missed something...

And I'm not entirely certain I like the impression I'm getting - and not from you, Bib. :/

He deleted the post that I felt was condescending.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:09:25 PM
He deleted the post that I felt was condescending.

… That's what I thought. I'm with you; that throws up red flags.
Looks like we'll need a new GM.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Honestly, there was no reason to delete it.  He wasn't overtly rude or anything, he just used the phrase 'let me clue you in to how I...' and that sort of struck me as condescending.  The stuff that came after was honestly far more troubling than the inciting post.

Sorry for kinda throwing a wrench in the works, guys.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:15:58 PM
Honestly, there was no reason to delete it.  He wasn't overtly rude or anything, he just used the phrase 'let me clue you in to how I...' and that sort of struck me as condescending.  The stuff that came after was honestly far more troubling than the inciting post.

Well, either way, it's not kosher.
And I wouldn't worry about it; better a wrench now, before we'd really got into the planning phase, than a hundred posts in, eh?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:15:58 PM

No, it's entirely my own fault.   And I'll accept the entirety of the blame and all the hate for it.   I was willing to go ahead and GM in-spite of my own personal reservations, as this isn't the kind of game I normally either get involved in or game master.

As for the phrase in question, I was trying to clarify as to how I normally do things.    As this seemed to be "hateful" to you, I decided that it was simply better for me to not be involved.       That said, best of luck.    Really.

Bibliophilia

I never said hateful, not once.  And I don't think anyone here hates anyone.

Chanticleer

Okay, I missed something unpleasant, it seems. It looks like it found a resolution in the interval, though. Hunter, my apologies if you were feeling pressured to GM something you weren't comfortable with. Enthusiasm was definitely a thing last night.

Bib, are you still with us, I hope?

Are we going to go ahead, while looking for another GM?
My current O/os (need work)

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 03:35:37 PM
Okay, I missed something unpleasant, it seems. It looks like it found a resolution in the interval, though. Hunter, my apologies if you were feeling pressured to GM something you weren't comfortable with. Enthusiasm was definitely a thing last night.

I am.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 03:35:37 PM

I hate how things shook out, but I can't say that I'm not more comfortable remaining part of the game now.  I just didn't want my own personal misgivings to upturn the apple cart.

I do like the idea of it being more of a collaborative effort as far as running individual 'episodes'.  I've never run a D&D game before, but the idea of a more casual game with more quirky episodic adventures interests me immensely as a chance to dip my toe.

Maybe we should sort of try making up the basic rules as a group and...I mean, if no one else wants to kick things off, I'm willing to run the initial episode.

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:24:14 PM
I never said hateful, not once.  And I don't think anyone here hates anyone.

But that's how I interpreted it.   So we have a case of mutual misunderstanding.

Again, good luck with the game as it seems to be an idea that you'd enjoy.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
I hate how things shook out, but I can't say that I'm not more comfortable remaining part of the game now.  I just didn't want my own personal misgivings to upturn the apple cart.

I do like the idea of it being more of a collaborative effort as far as running individual 'episodes'.  I've never run a D&D game before, but the idea of a more casual game with more quirky episodic adventures interests me immensely as a chance to dip my toe.

Maybe we should sort of try making up the basic rules as a group and...I mean, if no one else wants to kick things off, I'm willing to run the initial episode.

That sounds like a good idea; I like it.

I have run games - hell, am running one - but I've not found running PbP to work out too well for me. Or anyone else.
But I don't mind helping out, if needed.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:41:43 PM

I think that cooperating to set out the rules/guidelines of how things will work is an excellent idea. If you do decide you want to start things off, I hope everybody will bear in mind that it's your first time and do things like spell out their bonuses in rolls, try not to do anything too shifty and convoluted, and that just in general people will try to accomodate to each other's play-styles with the goal that everyone should have fun together.

At this time, we've got 5 votes each on setting and on levels. Setting won't be changed by a sixth vote: It's currently 4/1 in favor of the multiversal/planescape thing. On the other hand, the levels-poll currently is showing 3/2 in favor of 3rd level vs. 5th. A 6th vote could conceivably tie it.

Vergil, I think that while it will be fun to have roadies and other NPCs running around (and in fact makes excellent sense), that trying to get people to commit to playing those characters is probably not going to fly in the long term, while on the other hand, if you invite someone to for a particular scene, they might be entirely willing. I'd suggest dropping them in as NPCs, putting whatever spin/personality/races on them you'd like, and letting it be known that other people can post their actions as appropriate, then extending invitations for other things. A good viewpoint guideline would be that recruits are fundamentally minions/cohorts attached to one character, and most people generally sign up in games to play the character they want to play rather than someone else's minion. If the purpose of the recruits is just to function as sock puppets, people probably will be more reluctant to commit to participating. I don't think that needs to be put to a vote.

I would like to put to a vote the idea of rotating GMs/episodes, with an understanding that it is not a REQUIREMENT that everyone must take a turn at GMing (so if you don't want to/aren't comfortable with it, that's totally fine and we don't want you to feel pressured!).

I'd also like to put to a vote the idea of having any sort of established transport at 3rd level (since it looks like 3rd level is where we'll be starting...Hmmm. That might obviate the 'Recruits' feat, I don't remember) versus having to 'figure it out' and 'make our way.'

In regard to that, I'd also like to suggest a sort of amorphous non-specific minigame: band manager finds a place to play with X seats at Y gp/attendee. The shenanigans the band gets up to in trying to get there may actively increase the crowd (or decrease it if the band as a whole does something terribly publicly awful/foolish). This makes for a sort of amusing side 'Well, we could get there on horseback with a day to spare much more cheaply than taking the train, but also with possibly more encounters and troubles...' kind of math. 'Guys, we can still make a profit on tomorrow's show if you're willing to sleep in the barn which I've been assured repeatedly isn't haunted and the owner said it so many times that I believe him even though I don't remember how the subject came up.' I'd suggest keeping the numbers vague and making this more of an in-character concern that's played for laughs and shenanigans than any sort of OOC accounting budget.
My current O/os (need work)