LF Pathfinder GM for Planescape Rock(?) Band on Tour

Started by Chanticleer, July 25, 2018, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chanticleer

If this is still up after we're all sober tomorrow, it's real.

So the idea here is that, in the spirit of such outrageous faux-band movies as The Commitments, This is Spinal Tap, The Jazz Singer, School of Rock, Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny or any other outrageous rockumentary, we get together a group of musicians (probably not all bards, but all with Perform: Summon Groupies or Profession: Ear Bleeder) or whatever, and drag them out on tour across every wretched hive of scum and villainy the GM can come up with.

We're looking for the kind of GM who'll challenge the band with everything from Infernal Contract Clauses to mixed up Concert Reservations, have the band's transport break down next to an outpost of Lawful Good crusaders, force them to open for acts which are clearly beneath them (don't be fooled, no acts are likely to be beneath Elliquiy characters! Wait, that's not what we're talking about? Never mind!), command performances for evil overlords who want a good show for their minions but DON'T want to be upstaged, force them to compete for stage space with their nemesis, a band full of lawful goody-two-shoes, and just basically shower the band with every sort of outrageous silliness they can imagine, from protesting clerics to stage-crashing paladins, undead groupies and contracts requiring them to perform in places which require a dungeon crawl just to get to the stage. All that and, of course, the usual problems inherent in trying to keep a bunch of passionate artists on track and behaving professionally towards each other (except when it means more press in the tabloids).

Think of it as a Pathfinder game somewhere between Josie & the Pussycats and Scooby-Doo.

Currently discussed members include an angsty underweight kobold with a bunch of piercings and heavy eye-liner who wears black, writes poetry, and whose battle cry is 'You're not my clutch-mother!'? He's the keyboardist (you would not believe how unhappy the roadies are about having to set up and tune a pipe organ everywhere they go) and (thanks to Bibliophilia) a big fan of Zon-Kuthon's Razor, a band with a female drow as lead singer, a Tiefling bassist and a Duergar drummer.

Bibliophilia made some comment about Stacie Bloodgut, Barbarian Valley Girl, and Thorne and Chulanowa both may've been infected. I'll let everybody post their own character ideas in order to further intimidate encourage a possible GM.

My current O/os (need work)

Thorne

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Vergil Tanner

Oh my word. You've created a monster.

Now I have to work out what angle my Skald will be taking.

Maybe an axe that doubles as an axe? :O
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Thorne on July 25, 2018, 08:48:02 PM
Oh my dog. He /actually did it/.

There are no brakes on the crazy train!

Also, while searching for ideas I stumbled across this, which is evidently a real band. XD

Vergil Tanner

Of course it is. xD

Honestly, I'm torn. Dhampir Blood Drinker Skald, or Drow Skald? I'm so torn! xD

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Hunter

Oh, just for giggles.....group needs a mascot.   And did I mention the giant stuffed teddy bear?     O:)

Chanticleer

Apparently it's a Serbian thrash band.

Alright, now you're all in trouble.

Crossdressing was a pretty common thing in the Goth scene, last time I was anywhere near it, so away we go!

EDIT: Honestly needs more eyeliner and I do believe black lipstick and painted nails are traditional, but it's a GOOD START.

Hunter

This thread needs either more or less tequila, not sure.

Vergil Tanner

Well aren't they just delicious? My Dhampir Demon Dancer Skald would love to play with her and her bear. :P :P

Bibliophilia

If we're doing a band, then Stacie is so not the right fit.  -giggles.-  But, a raven-haired gnome girl who is utterly exasperated by her parents (who are annoyingly supportive and insist on showing up to far too many of her concerts and embarrassing her) would be perfect.  I'm thinking she would be the drummer/back-up singer, who provides vocals anytime the group needs a good, hellish metal scream.  She normally sounds like a chipmunk, but can draw forth from deep within herself the sort of death metal snarl that would make Blöthar shit himself.

Also, she likes belts.  Like, a lot.  And is deeply private about the fact that her natural hair color is baby pink.

Oh, and her name is Daisy Mallowsweet, but she insists her name is Mynx Hellebore.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 09:03:38 PM
This thread needs either more or less tequila, not sure.

This is a false choice! You can't possibly have less tequila! Your only options are 'more tequila' and 'I've had enough!'

Hunter

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
This is a false choice! You can't possibly have less tequila! Your only options are 'more tequila' and 'I've had enough!'

I'm pretty sure the options are 'more tequila' or 'floor'.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 09:05:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the options are 'more tequila' or 'floor'.

You're thinking of "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor." ;)

Vergil Tanner

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I'm thinking guitarist for my lass :P

Thorne

I'd offer my half-orc Skald (combat musician!) … but someone probably covered that. On the other hand, bands do need somebody to scout venues.. and I have a tiefling who might be really good at that. And décor! And … arranging *cough* security... >.>

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Chant, I love that picture...he and Mynx can share clothes!

Vergil Tanner

Reading it, the Demon Dancer Skald is super fuckin' Metal. And I'm thinking of going all in with my Dhampir; Fangs and the Blood Drinker feat.

Because you know she needs to get a group of Elven blood slave groupies :P

Chanticleer

I'm going to suggest that you go as over-the-top and crazy and all-in as you can imagine for whatever you're doing.

If a GM picks this up, they're going to be in it for the fun, so I wouldn't fret too terribly much about things like balance.

Probably best to stick to no 3rd party, though, simply because while Paizo stuff is easily accessible from the SRD, not all 3rd party is.

Also, Bib...I foresee some TENSION about whose DRESS that is. They totally have to go thrift-store shopping together.

Vergil Tanner

If we start at level 5, I am totally taking a Leadership Feat to have groupies. :P Because fuck it :P

Chulanowa

You know what? Count me interested... someone else gotta run it though, 'cause yall spammed my thread with this  :P

Hunter

You're assuming that they actually care who's clothes they're wearing.   And now, I have to find the unchained summoner.....

And....found it.    OOooooo...Fey Caller.

Vergil Tanner

I BEG TO DIFFER.

I would say that is EXACTLY how you Lute :P

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 09:23:20 PM
I'm going to suggest that you go as over-the-top and crazy and all-in as you can imagine for whatever you're doing.

If a GM picks this up, they're going to be in it for the fun, so I wouldn't fret too terribly much about things like balance.

Probably best to stick to no 3rd party, though, simply because while Paizo stuff is easily accessible from the SRD, not all 3rd party is.

Also, Bib...I foresee some TENSION about whose DRESS that is. They totally have to go thrift-store shopping together.

Mynx will often pout because he looks better in something than she does.  Buuut, she will still totally paint his nails and distract the shop keeper for him, so he can stuff a perfectly distressed peasant top down his pants.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 25, 2018, 09:30:58 PM
Mynx will often pout because he looks better in something than she does.  Buuut, she will still totally paint his nails and distract the shop keeper for him, so he can stuff a perfectly distressed peasant top down his pants.

.. it occurs to me that Cyrellia would be /very/ glad her clothes aren't likely to fit either of them; she's probably lost more than one blouse to them as it is.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vergil Tanner

Oh, my lass would happily go shopping with them :P How else would she find them the cutest little outfits? :P :P

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 09:24:21 PM
If we start at level 5, I am totally taking a Leadership Feat to have groupies. :P Because fuck it :P

You don't take a Leadership Feat to have groupies, silly person!

You take a Leadership Feat to have groupies that you can control (As opposed to the ones who try to kidnap you off to a dark barn somewhere and keep you in the basement playing for them and fulfilling their dark, lustful desires).

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 09:24:48 PM
You know what? Count me interested... someone else gotta run it though, 'cause yall spammed my thread with this  :P

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 09:25:11 PM
You're assuming that they actually care who's clothes they're wearing.   And now, I have to find the unchained summoner.....

Hmpf. Maybe MYNX doesn't care, but she makes all of his dresses smell like PERVERTED GNOME.

Damn, he needs a name.

EDIT: Thorne, something's wrong with the image link for your character?

Bibliophilia

You said you liked that smell!  -huff.-  At least she doesn't molt in them!

Chulanowa

You're not showing me anything that Berke Breathed didn't already.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 09:36:58 PM
You don't take a Leadership Feat to have groupies, silly person!

You take a Leadership Feat to have groupies that you can control (As opposed to the ones who try to kidnap you off to a dark barn somewhere and keep you in the basement playing for them and fulfilling their dark, lustful desires).

Exactly :P
I take Leadership Feats to have Groupies that can keep the crazier groupies under control :P
My "Followers" will be my fanclub :P :P
My rabble rousing, rioting, evil fanclub. That I also drain of blood and occasionally fuck.

Still not sure whether she'd be a futa or not. xD

Hunter

If you need to ask....the answer is probably yes.

Thorne

I mean, unless the group already having one means anything?

(.. I have /one/ in my entire folder, and Cyrellia is that one...)

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

I'm kind of wishing I was more into GMing than playing this, now, because I can see this being a very easy sort of serial-scenario thing.

It's not got an overall plot arc, it's just 'throw the problem blocking tonight's show at the party and run screaming.'

"Your road manager's terribly upset. Seems the place you were playing tonight was double-booked by the local Pharasman Choir, and they're already setting up. You have four hours to make sure none of their handbills remain, all of yours are up, and they somehow don't make it to the show. All eighty of them. GO," etc., ad infinitum.

Chulanowa

Agreed, this is -perfect- for episodic styles, with the occasional scooby doo or on the road" subplot. 'Cause what was "Pick of Destiny" but a hero's journey culminating in a dungeon crawl and boss fight?!

Hunter

Or a case of wondering who switched the usual music selection with the summoning spell for a greater demon lord.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 09:49:52 PM
Agreed, this is -perfect- for episodic styles, with the occasional scooby doo or on the road" subplot. 'Cause what was "Pick of Destiny" but a hero's journey culminating in a dungeon crawl and boss fight?!

Exactly!!!

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 09:51:01 PM
Or a case of wondering who switched the usual music selection with the summoning spell for a greater demon lord.

No, I think, no, wait, you've got that backwards. We spent a LOT of gold on that stage effects budget and our fans are EXPECTING a greater demon lord...

We've got two choices. Find another virgin (they magically cease to exist within fifty feet of any band member) or dress Mynx up as a greater demon lord and hope the real one doesn't get offended...

*Steeples fingers*

Now we just need to find an easy GM with a sense of humor. Good grief, this thread has only existed for an hour...And I'm only responsible for about a sixth of it...

Hunter

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 09:52:58 PM
Now we just need to find an easy GM with a sense of humor. Good grief, this thread has only existed for an hour...And I'm only responsible for about a sixth of it...

I'd be almost tempted to volunteer except that I wouldn't have a clue how to go about  it.

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 09:52:58 PM
Exactly!!!

No, I think, no, wait, you've got that backwards. We spent a LOT of gold on that stage effects budget and our fans are EXPECTING a greater demon lord...

We've got two choices. Find another virgin (they magically cease to exist within fifty feet of any band member) or dress Mynx up as a greater demon lord and hope the real one doesn't get offended...

*Steeples fingers*

She already owns several sets of demon horns and possesses the Disguise skill necessary to pull this off...all she needs is someone to cast Enlarge Person.

A spell she probably already knows...given she's a perverted gnome.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 25, 2018, 09:59:07 PM
She already owns several sets of demon horns and possesses the Disguise skill necessary to pull this off...all she needs is someone to cast Enlarge Person.

A spell she probably already knows...given she's a perverted gnome.

Well, if she doesn't, my Skald probably knows it :P

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 09:53:58 PM
I'd be almost tempted to volunteer except that I wouldn't have a clue how to go about  it.

Don't think of it as having to create a big, complicated game setup. Think of it as setting up problems to solve.

The bands instruments didn't get there on time because (REASONS).

The local booking agency didn't do their homework and has them opening for a bunch of Lawful Good paladins. They must be UPSTAGED!

There's something one of the band members won't go on stage without (M&Ms, drugs, sultry young aaracockra men) and the band has to find a replacement before the curtain goes up.

A teen dragon of the opposite sex is insisting that one of the band members knocked them up and creating a scandal among the local moral majority. Either prove it didn't happen (if the kobold's involved, it may have), silence the dragon somehow, or find some other way to keep the local moral mooks from shutting down the show.

Etc., etc. :)

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:00:15 PM
Don't think of it as having to create a big, complicated game setup. Think of it as setting up problems to solve.

The bands instruments didn't get there on time because (REASONS).

The local booking agency didn't do their homework and has them opening for a bunch of Lawful Good paladins. They must be UPSTAGED!

There's something one of the band members won't go on stage without (M&Ms, drugs, sultry young aaracockra men) and the band has to find a replacement before the curtain goes up.

A teen dragon of the opposite sex is insisting that one of the band members knocked them up and creating a scandal among the local moral majority. Either prove it didn't happen, silence the dragon somehow, or find some other way to keep the local moral mooks from shutting down the show.

Etc., etc. :)

What is Deep Speech for 'I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids'?  I have a feeling we're going to need to know.  Also, it occurs to me that we're basically creating the metal fantasy RP version of Josie and the Pussycats.

Hunter

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 25, 2018, 10:03:30 PM
What is Deep Speech for 'I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids'?  I have a feeling we're going to need to know.  Also, it occurs to me that we're basically creating the metal fantasy RP version of Josie and the Pussycats.

There you go. Any time a GM runs out of ideas they can just watch a few episodes of J&tP and mum's your coathanger.

Or however that British expression goes.

EDIT: You know, it's SO episodic that we could probably switch up GMs regularly on a 'per episode' basis. For that matter, we could even FRAME it like a mockumentary series...

How would folks feel about rotating GM duties? And is there anyone who'd rather not be part of that? And is there anyone who dares to kick it off? It would definitely assure us of a GM with 'the same vision' more or less...

Hunter

Let's see....Given I'm actually considering overseeing this train wreck.    The first concern I have is the setting?   Is it going to be some variant of modern day or what?

Thorne

Bob's your uncle, but no one is paying attention to Bob.
Also, I feel like Cyrellia should be on backup vocals, blue tongue and all ..

Uh.. Pick something that seems appropriate? Eberron? OMD. The Glitterdust Lounge! The band could be trying to get to play there!

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 10:11:12 PM
Let's see....Given I'm actually considering overseeing this train wreck.    The first concern I have is the setting?   Is it going to be some variant of modern day or what?

Not at all. I'm just thinking standard fantasy setting but with anachronistic musical insanity added in. Kind of like the 'Tauren Chieftains' in World of Warcraft. It makes no sense, you shouldn't try to make it make sense, it's just silly and fantastic and awesome.

Quote from: Thorne on July 25, 2018, 10:12:22 PM
Uh.. Pick something that seems appropriate? Eberron? OMD. The Glitterdust Lounge! The band could be trying to get to play there!

Oh yes. YES.

Hunter

I'm not really familiar with many of the worlds, so pick a setting you want to trash play in.    Since we're going outrageous already, why not go ahead and go with level 20?  No multi-classing though!    I can work up a list of 6 or 8 things that might go wrong and organize them into a list so they can be selected randomly.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 10:17:17 PM
I'm not really familiar with many of the worlds, so pick a setting you want to trash play in.    Since we're going outrageous already, why not go ahead and go with level 20?  No multi-classing though!    I can work up a list of 6 or 8 things that might go wrong and organize them into a list so they can be selected randomly.

Do you want to take on the role of the band manager, temporarily? This is the person responsible for (1) setting up gigs, (2) getting the band paid, (3) getting the band to perform (especially when they don't want to) and (4) keeping the band working together (when they start getting all tetchy at each other).

Basically 'mission control.'

And remember, if you get tired of GMing it, it's episodic. Find a good spot to roll credits, make yourself a band member, and we'll molest find another GM.

I have mixed feelings about level 20, but I'll defer to others. You don't want the band to be so powerful that 'normal dealings with the local police' (i.e., trying to get your drunk/drug-using/inappropriate race/sexually exhibitionistic band members out of jail) aren't a challenge, for example.

Bibliophilia

Thorne

Maybe L10? High enough to be dangerous, low enough that there are still people who can stomp us into oblivion if we're dumb?

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 25, 2018, 10:24:34 PM
I'd prefer a lower level...like 5 or below.

This would also work for me.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vergil Tanner

Oh, God no. Nooooo, not Level 20. That basically makes us world famous *Gods,* which takes the fun out of it.

I was thinking more like level 3 - 5-ish. Not noobs, but nowhere near world famous earth shakers.

Chulanowa

I'm with Biblio on this. I'm just out for silly fun stuff, I don't need to have the power to crush worlds beneath my character's... uh.. .whatever they end up having (claspers, perhaps?)

Lower-level, and i'm perfectly happy with taking a "normal" setting and just being completely egregiously mood-shattering in it. Put that in Elminster's pipe and smoke it!

Chanticleer

Thorne has suggested Eberron, with our grand finale being at the Glitterdust in Sharn, the City of Towers.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

I also think 5 or so would be good. I meant 'over the top' in terms of 'be audacious and crazy' not 'be gods walking,' because when you're gods walking, all the little troubles of keeping a band on the road aren't hard. You just snap your fingers and it's fixed.

Think of this group as WANTING to be the biggest, baddest band, but they've just barely crawled up out of local-only notice and the tour is a desperate attempt to become famous. That help?

Hunter

Oh, I was kinda assuming that I'd end up as the band manager.     I was also thinking that the group would have their very own magically powered airship for traveling between gigs.    Higher level means more options, which is why I'm thinking of going that way.   But since everyone seems to want lower, we'll move in that direction.

I'm gonna lurk a bit on the thread so that everyone can dissect what world they'd like to explore and thoughts on the level range.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 10:28:12 PM
Oh, I was kinda assuming that I'd end up as the band manager.     I was also thinking that the group would have their very own magically powered airship for traveling between gigs.    Higher level means more options, which is why I'm thinking of going that way.   But since everyone seems to want lower, we'll move in that direction.

I'm gonna lurk a bit on the thread so that everyone can dissect what world they'd like to explore and thoughts on the level range.

Getting to the show on time is always an issue. If it's an airship, it probably shouldn't be reliable. :)

Hunter

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:29:13 PM
Getting to the show on time is always an issue. If it's an airship, it probably shouldn't be reliable. :)

Or you could have a magical map that's not exactly reliable.    Like the one from Wakfu.

Bibliophilia

Hunter

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 25, 2018, 10:31:07 PM
Can there be a pilot named Cid?

I think that's a given :P

OH MY GOD.
Their airship is just an unreliable second hand zeppelin. :P

Lead is optional.

Chulanowa

Level; 3 seems just right for me. Low enough that alcohol poisoning is still a danger, high enough that getting attacked by a MILF's housecat at her son's Bar Mitzvah is just a comedic interlude and not a death sentence.

Location: Eberron? Forgotten realms? Golarion? Athas? Why not all of them? Our manager is covering all his bases and farms us out to the various worlds of the prime material. One day we're lost in Amn, another day we're being chased by prudes in Thane, and then we're back home in Sigil trying to get the lady of Pain to add some vocals to our next album. basically it's "This week, on Rocks Fall..." Failing that, the incongruity of stomping around a generic medieval realm strapped to the nines with electric guitars and synthesizers sounds amazing too.

Vergil Tanner

Thorne

There is also the Lightning Rail to consider, as well as a broken down airship we might purchase for cheap and then have there be something wrong with it/a prior owner not informed of it's change of hands/some other shenanigans involved...

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Hunter

I'm going to say 5th for level, then.   Much lower and the group's combined wealth wouldn't afford the airship.

Spellcraft or Use Magic Device handles airship control.

Chanticleer

Here's a poll for character level. How raw or bad do we want to be?

Here's a poll for the most popular D&D/PF-style worlds. Where do we want to play?

I'm thinking Gnothic Rock might be a thing. :) Anyone have any other suggestions for what kind of music we play? Keeping in mind that everybody branches out and experiments a bit. And we could do things like Kiss did on Double Platinum where different songs showcased different band members' styles/instrumentals.

Quote"Warning - while you were typing 6 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

HAbazawah!!! I have created a monster!

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 10:33:16 PM
I think that's a given :P

OH MY GOD.
Their airship is just an unreliable second hand zeppelin. :P

Lead is optional.

The joke that would NOT go down in flames. I take off my hat to you sir.

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 10:34:03 PM
Level; 3 seems just right for me. Low enough that alcohol poisoning is still a danger, high enough that getting attacked by a MILF's housecat at her son's Bar Mitzvah is just a comedic interlude and not a death sentence.

Location: Eberron? Forgotten realms? Golarion? Athas? Why not all of them? Our manager is covering all his bases and farms us out to the various worlds of the prime material. One day we're lost in Amn, another day we're being chased by prudes in Thane, and then we're back home in Sigil trying to get the lady of Pain to add some vocals to our next album. basically it's "This week, on Rocks Fall..." Failing that, the incongruity of stomping around a generic medieval realm strapped to the nines with electric guitars and synthesizers sounds amazing too.

This is awesome and I shall add it to the poll.

EDIT: Ugh, I can't figure out how to add it to the poll. Assume that 'other' means this, unless you spell it out as something else, here.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 10:35:02 PM
?

Sigh. First? I just wanna say I absolutely hate airships in fantasy. yes, congratulations, you've played a Final Fantasy game *jerk motion*
That said I realize they're canonical in Eberron... but... but Eberron airships have some fuckin' style man, not that damn floating tugboat junk! Sleek designs! Magewrought elderwood hulls! Dragonshard sensors and of course, the FLYING FLAMING RING OF ELEMENTAL BADASSERY.

Spare me the glorified weather balloons, if you're gonna put me on one of these contrived contraptions, you gotta at least make it sexy (and a dildo prow ornament does not count Vergil!)

Chanticleer

I am going to vote that our first mission is figuring out transportation just because now I totally want to see Chula and Vergil's characters arguing over what will be the new Mystery Mobile.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:40:33 PM
The joke that would NOT go down in flames. I take off my hat to you sir.

I steal your hat and gift it to my Vampire Overlord, Camilla. :P

QUESTION.

How smutty is this gonna end up being? I'm curious, since...well, Metal Rock Stars have a lot of recreational drugs and sex. xD I just wanna know what people are thinking of in regards to sexual content :P I can do any, really :P

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 10:41:55 PM
Sigh. First? I just wanna say I absolutely hate airships in fantasy. yes, congratulations, you've played a Final Fantasy game *jerk motion*
That said I realize they're canonical in Eberron... but... but Eberron airships have some fuckin' style man, not that damn floating tugboat junk! Sleek designs! Magewrought elderwood hulls! Dragonshard sensors and of course, the FLYING FLAMING RING OF ELEMENTAL BADASSERY.

Spare me the glorified weather balloons, if you're gonna put me on one of these contrived contraptions, you gotta at least make it sexy (and a dildo prow ornament does not count Vergil!)

Well that seemed unnecessarily personal :P

In any event, I was trying to go for the "Beaten down junker" style, since these guys are supposed to be a new, wannabe band rather than a rich and famous one. Duh, their eventual ride is gonna be sleek and sexy. But they don't start out with a top of the range tourship, do they? They need to work up to that!

Vergil Tanner

Plus, your picture wasn't exactly "Metal." What's more Metal than a zeppelin? :P

Chulanowa

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:43:52 PM
I am going to vote that our first mission is figuring out transportation just because now I totally want to see Chula and Vergil's characters arguing over what will be the new Mystery Mobile.

Rosie: "I believe that the gothic cart is ostentatious to a fault; I think the ground effects are gaudy..."
Walnut: "Hmmm... interesting. ...Donaar?"
Donaar: "...I like the velvet."

Hunter

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 10:41:55 PM

I can see it now:  "I've got the airship all paid for, you can pick it up at the docks.  Next gig is in three days..."  (destination is three days by airship).

Chanticleer

I think it's got to be somewhat smutty, just because of what it is. As you say. Groupies, drug deals, hotel rooms with the walls stripped out, waterbeds filled with ice, and drunken/stoned elementals left behind after checkout.

I think having a separate thread for anything really detailed is a good idea, but having to drag people out of bed (probably with others) to get ready for the show is probably par for the course with a band in its ascendance.

Also, more real life rock and roll madness, so art can imitate life.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:51:33 PM
stoned elementals

Aren't Earth Elementals always stoned?

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 10:51:33 PMI think having a separate thread for anything really detailed is a good idea, but having to drag people out of bed (probably with others) to get ready for the show is probably par for the course with a band in its ascendance.

Agreed. We'll just have to wait and see how many problems will be solved by drugs, alcohol and sex. :P

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 10:53:42 PM
Agreed. We'll just have to wait and see how many problems will be solved by drugs, alcohol and sex. :P

"If you can't solve your problems with drugs, alcohol, and sex, you probably aren't using enough of them."
                                                                                  - Probably Not Lemmy Kilmeister

EDIT: Currently each poll has 3 votes. For level: 66% are aiming at level 5, 33% at level 3. For setting, 100% are aimed at 'All the prime material planes and everywhere else,' by choosing 'Other.'

Vergil Tanner

LOL. "You have to stop all 80 of the Orchestra from showing up on time, so we can get on stage as their backup."

*The band barely turns up on time*

"Where were you?"
"Dealing with the problem!"

*Flashcut to the orchestra sprawled in a pile of cocaine, JD and hookers, with lipstick marks all over their body, some of them matching the lipstick colour of the band members.*
*Cut back*

"They're lightweights, but surprisingly fun!"

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:00:55 PM
LOL. "You have to stop all 80 of the Orchestra from showing up on time, so we can get on stage as their backup."

*The band barely turns up on time*

"Where were you?"
"Dealing with the problem!"

*Flashcut to the orchestra sprawled in a pile of cocaine, JD and hookers, with lipstick marks all over their body, some of them matching the lipstick colour of the band members.*
*Cut back*

"They're lightweights, but surprisingly fun!"

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I had in mind for this game.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 10:44:44 PM
Well that seemed unnecessarily personal :P

In any event, I was trying to go for the "Beaten down junker" style, since these guys are supposed to be a new, wannabe band rather than a rich and famous one. Duh, their eventual ride is gonna be sleek and sexy. But they don't start out with a top of the range tourship, do they? They need to work up to that!

Oops, no, sorry, wasn't meant to be Vergil. it's just... they're one of my peeves. Chulanowa and steampunk don't get along.  ;D

I mean we're talking about a massive flying boat powered by semi-godlike beings from the elemental planes bound into service by some of the few mages powerful enough to do so, using cosmic gems that may in fact be shattered remnants of the dragons who formed the world an d heavens from their bodies. I'm not sure they come in "clunker" - "entry model," certainly!

Hunter

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
Oops, no, sorry, wasn't meant to be Vergil. it's just... they're one of my peeves. Chulanowa and steampunk don't get along.  ;D

I mean we're talking about a massive flying boat powered by semi-godlike beings from the elemental planes bound into service by some of the few mages powerful enough to do so, using cosmic gems that may in fact be shattered remnants of the dragons who formed the world an d heavens from their bodies. I'm not sure they come in "clunker" - "entry model," certainly!

There's going to be a certain amount of "maintenance issue" as well as very likely the map issue that I mentioned earlier.    How often did a breakdown in the Mystery Machine lead to hi-jinks?

Thorne

I could point you guys at this, too, for inspiration.. http://rockcocks.slipshine.net/

Not clunkier, precisely, but … there might be something wrong with it. Or, as I suggested earlier, a prior owner who wasn't informed that their ship changed hands (and had to change hands FAST, because.. well.. how the hell do you offload a stolen borrowed airship!?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Gods below, people.

We started this thread less than 3 hours ago.

In fact, I think the original spam in Chula's game is less than 4 hours old.

And this is post number 78 (assuming there haven't been another 6 posts while I was writing it).

EDIT: Oh, look, only 2. Post number 80!

EDIT: I'd better come up with a name for my cutebold.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 11:01:45 PM
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I had in mind for this game.

Dark minds think alike! :P

Still not sure whether to make her a Futa or not... >.>

I mean, hot air and steam power is a thing :P
Their eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 11:04:18 PM
Gods below, people.

We started this thread less than 3 hours ago.

In fact, I think the original spam in Chula's game is less than 4 hours old.

And this is post number 78 (assuming there haven't been another 6 posts while I was writing it).

EDIT: Oh, look, only 2. Post number 80!

Sure. We're inspired, and there went the neighborhood...

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:05:35 PM
Their eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?

Hold on, hold on, HOLD THE PHONE! Air ship - sail-powered, no magic (other than 'ship FLIES'), it's wind-powered.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Hunter

Quote from: Thorne on July 25, 2018, 11:07:38 PM
Sure. We're inspired, and there went the neighborhood...

Hold on, hold on, HOLD THE PHONE! Air ship - sail-powered, no magic (other than 'ship FLIES'), it's wind-powered.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#airship
"This exotic and expensive vehicle is held aloft by a massive balloon connected by chain to a ship that hangs below. This ship is similar to a sailing ship, complete with an open top, and is propelled by an easily controlled magical engine. Passengers and cargo are carried in the ship. An airship can carry 30 tons of cargo or 100 passengers."

Chulanowa

Dark minds think alike! :P

Mules.
We have mules.
Mules capable of interplanar travel, judging from the poll results.

Chanticleer

Entirely up to you, but to paraphrase 'Field of Dreams,' "If you build it, they will come."

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:05:35 PMTheir eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?

If I remember right, most such airships were vastly expensive. Owned only by the largest trading guilds and by governments. Starting out, we may just have to take the TRAIN. Which is fine, because shenanigans never happen on trains.

Hunter

Okay, I'm sticking with fifth level for character building.      My preferred option is that you combine your gold (10,500 gps from the wealth per level table) in order to purchase an airship.   And yes, you're probably going to get the magic map thrown in as a penalty bonus.   Other than that, please feel free to continue hashing things out.

See, there is a method to my madness....the voices tell me so!

Vergil Tanner

QUESTION FOR THE FLOOR.

I'm considering taking the Recruits Feat, if we start at level 5.

I was imagining that these three "Recruits" could be the budding beginnings of the entourage. EG, an Illusionist Sorcerer who is responsible for the "Special Effects," and the trainee "Bouncer" who is responsible for security. The flip side is that they're also the bands errand boys / girls, and often used for recreational sex (or blood drinking, in Camilla's case). What I need to know is three things:

1) Would people be interested in these three NPC's running around?
2) How would we run them? Would they be GM NPC's, would people want to take on direct control of one each, or would we cycle the control depending on who wanted to play with them (EG, if Chul's character wanted to play with the Bouncer, I could control him, then pass control to Chan if Camilla wanted to play with him)?
3) What archetypes / roles / appearances would people want? EG, I imagine the Illusionist Sorcerer as an Elf, or Half Elf. The Bouncer could be a big, masculine barbarian...who also happens to be completely Camilla's bitch. Maybe the third one is a tomboy-ish mechanic type that looks like a tomboy female but is actually a male? I dunno, I'm looking for preferences here. :P

So...thoughts?

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 11:28:23 PM
Okay, I'm sticking with fifth level for character building.      My preferred option is that you combine your gold (10,500 gps from the wealth per level table) in order to purchase an airship.   And yes, you're probably going to get the magic map thrown in as a penalty bonus.   Other than that, please feel free to continue hashing things out.

See, there is a method to my madness....the voices tell me so!

If we're combining our starting wealth, then does that mean we don't get starting gear, like instruments and outfits and the like? And what stats are we using? Rolled, Point Buy?

Also: What is your stance on Not Strictly Raw But Awesome Custom Items?
Eg, if Camilla wanted an axe that was also a guitar that could throw fire from the end of it (Like Mad Max) how much would that cost? :P

Hunter

The map, for those of you who haven't seen wakfu, is an intelligent magic item.  It's basically indestructible, capable of showing you where in the world where you are and how to get to where you want to go.  Assuming that it wants to, that is.   It's also chaotic, extremely selfish, and quite contrary.  Flattery may actually get you somewhere.

How much you'd get to spend depends on how many we've got involved.    Assuming that there's six players (including the band manager), that'll give each character about 2,500 gps to spend.    Math is hard.   And yes, the band manager is going to be a catfolk summoner with a eidolon teddy bear.

Alternately, rather than do that math: every character gets one really neat magic item/instrument (which might be a heirloom item, handed down from a mentor, found at a pawn shop, etc) plus a bit of spending money as well as whatever non-magical gear they might need.    No full plate.  :P   I'd prefer this one, honestly.

Vergil Tanner

I'd go for the second one, personally. Easier to work out :P
Plus, it gives me a fighting chance of getting that flamethrower guitar :P

As the GM, would you prefer to have control of any NPC Recruits or Cohorts we get, or would you prefer we control them amongst ourselves?

Hunter

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:47:11 PM
I'd go for the second one, personally. Easier to work out :P
Plus, it gives me a fighting chance of getting that flamethrower guitar :P

As the GM, would you prefer to have control of any NPC Recruits or Cohorts we get, or would you prefer we control them amongst ourselves?

Control, or mis-control, your own cohorts and followers.   As I'm now going to bed, please continue the dialogue.    I'll catch up when I get up.

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey! Night dude! We will need to know how we're working our Stats out, though...

Any preferences, guys? Rolled, or Buy? I prefer Point Buy myself.

ALSO.
I really want to take the Recruits Feat to give us some Roadies. But by the same token, I want Camilla to be able to play with them without feeling like masturbation, so...what do you guys wanna do? Share control and take command of them if we want them for scenes? Or just each of us take on one of them to control personally as like a semi-second character?

ALSO ALSO. If we did go with that, any preferences on what those characters would be like, and what roles they fill? :P

Bibliophilia

I'm personally of the mind that more slap-dash and varied methods of transport are more interesting and potentially compelling story-wise.

Vergil Tanner

I'm inclined to agree. Let them fight for their transport! :P

Chulanowa

Especially if we're going with the "traveling the multiverse" idea. One day? Sure it's an airship to Aundair. next day? Travel by mole-mobile in hte Plane of earth. Third day? Over-budgeted on the pyrotechnics, gotta thumb a ride to Krynn for Kenderpalooza.

Chanticleer

Going to throw out a few suggestions here. Feel free to disagree.

1. I really do enjoy how much conversation has swirled around the vehicle, BUT I think we're starting early enough that we shouldn't have our own airliner. Having to buy tickets, (pretend to) behave in transit, pick up our luggage and FUCK WHERE ARE THE INSTRUMENTS sounds a bit more like 3-5th level to me...Especially if we're doing the interplanar thing. We almost certainly can't/shouldn't have our own spelljammer! We might rent some sort of local transport, of course, but remember that saving money is important if we're not guaranteed a sold-out venue!

2. So far 4/6 of the party has voted. The current vote is 3/4 for the multi-planar thing, which is kind of fun because we can tour different worlds and settings, but potentially hard on the DM. The level vote is currently tied between 3rd and 5th level. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED, VOTE PLEASE. If we're doing the interplanar thing, it creates many different possibilities for character backgrounds which won't exist if we're in a single-plane campaign. Be nice to get that out of the way.

3. With one player GMing/manager, we have a five (creature) band. This seems magnificently appropriate. We don't have to play to those archetypes, but they do make a fun set. Something to think about.

4. So far only two players have talked about character classes as far as I can tell? Thorne and Vergil have both proposed Skalds, with Thorne also proposing a Tiefling 'scout' (I do hope the scout will play with the band, though, if you go that direction?). Depending on the archetype and build, Skalds could be very different from each other. I'm totes okay with more than one if Hunter is okay with it. Oh, and Hunter's character (the manager of the band) is apparently a Catfolk Summoner? I'm currently studying Warlock ideas for my kobold (who is now officially Marlithinex the Black, and is NOT to be called 'Marli' in front of fans, thank you).

5. I'm going to probably create an actual game forum tomorrow, including an OOC and a 'Band Information' forum (which will also be the place to post characters). I know this is usually something 'the GM does' (and thank you Hunter for stepping up!) but I'm still inclined to push the option that over time we may end up sharing/switching who has GMing duties as a fun way to mix things up.

6. I would like to put forward 25-point point buy for consideration: we're not gods, but we're the cream of the crop. We've made it far enough to have a manager who actually has a tour schedule for us. We've risen above all those other poor souls who're begging to play weddings and weeknights at the local dive joint. We're well above the norm!

And with that, I'm going to probably do a little more poking at Warlocky things, then go to sleep.

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm! I'm really blown away by how this has sort of moved from a single silly gothbold character idea into a full-fledged game concept in such a short time and I hope we all have as much fun moving forward as we have this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKs2VLmVnY

Bibliophilia

Mynx is probably a witch, but I might end up landing elsewhere as far as class.  And I'll go vote now.

I agree with the point buy and also the idea of various people taking over the GM role.  I tend to love that idea, and it works especially well in an episodic game like this one.  Plus, it'll give me a chance to get my feet wet on running D&D.

Vergil Tanner

Though I do think we should let Hunter set up the threads, or at least decide if we're gonna cycle before you start setting up threads that the GM would usually create. We have time, after all, so let's discuss that and see what people / Hunter want to do before we start taking away GM jobs ;)

Also: See above roadie questions. I'm toying with the idea, but would appreciate some input on whether it's a good idea or not :P If I'm the only one interested in that sorta thing, then I'll nix the idea completely :P

As for class, I'm thinking Dhampir Demon Dancer Skald. :D

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 12:38:50 AM
Going to throw out a few suggestions here. Feel free to disagree.

1. I really do enjoy how much conversation has swirled around the vehicle, BUT I think we're starting early enough that we shouldn't have our own airliner. Having to buy tickets, (pretend to) behave in transit, pick up our luggage and FUCK WHERE ARE THE INSTRUMENTS sounds a bit more like 3-5th level to me...Especially if we're doing the interplanar thing. We almost certainly can't/shouldn't have our own spelljammer! We might rent some sort of local transport, of course, but remember that saving money is important if we're not guaranteed a sold-out venue!

2. So far 4/6 of the party has voted. The current vote is 3/4 for the multi-planar thing, which is kind of fun because we can tour different worlds and settings, but potentially hard on the DM. The level vote is currently tied between 3rd and 5th level. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED, VOTE PLEASE. If we're doing the interplanar thing, it creates many different possibilities for character backgrounds which won't exist if we're in a single-plane campaign. Be nice to get that out of the way.

3. With one player GMing/manager, we have a five (creature) band. This seems magnificently appropriate. We don't have to play to those archetypes, but they do make a fun set. Something to think about.

4. So far only two players have talked about character classes as far as I can tell? Thorne and Vergil have both proposed Skalds, with Thorne also proposing a Tiefling 'scout' (I do hope the scout will play with the band, though, if you go that direction?). Depending on the archetype and build, Skalds could be very different from each other. I'm totes okay with more than one if Hunter is okay with it. Oh, and Hunter's character (the manager of the band) is apparently a Catfolk Summoner? I'm currently studying Warlock ideas for my kobold (who is now officially Marlithinex the Black, and is NOT to be called 'Marli' in front of fans, thank you).

5. I'm going to probably create an actual game forum tomorrow, including an OOC and a 'Band Information' forum (which will also be the place to post characters). I know this is usually something 'the GM does' (and thank you Hunter for stepping up!) but I'm still inclined to push the option that over time we may end up sharing/switching who has GMing duties as a fun way to mix things up.

6. I would like to put forward 25-point point buy for consideration: we're not gods, but we're the cream of the crop. We've made it far enough to have a manager who actually has a tour schedule for us. We've risen above all those other poor souls who're begging to play weddings and weeknights at the local dive joint. We're well above the norm!

And with that, I'm going to probably do a little more poking at Warlocky things, then go to sleep.

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm! I'm really blown away by how this has sort of moved from a single silly gothbold character idea into a full-fledged game concept in such a short time and I hope we all have as much fun moving forward as we have this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKs2VLmVnY

Thorne is probably going to go with the tiefling 'scout' - who may actually be an Oracle of some kind, or something like that. I might even run her as a sorcerer if I can't get Oracle to work.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

I'd rather not have some random secondary character thrust upon me with the expectation of playing it for someone else.

Vergil Tanner

Haha, fair enough :P This is why I'm asking, since in my head it's a fun idea to have roadies and errand boy npc's running around, but other people might have a different idea of what "Fun" entails :P

Thorne

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 11:08:46 PM
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#airship
"This exotic and expensive vehicle is held aloft by a massive balloon connected by chain to a ship that hangs below. This ship is similar to a sailing ship, complete with an open top, and is propelled by an easily controlled magical engine. Passengers and cargo are carried in the ship. An airship can carry 30 tons of cargo or 100 passengers."

Yah, that's what the /book/ says. Pfah at the book, for some things. I hate those balloon-ships. 
If you can create a flying ship (somebody find me the entry for Eberron's sky-ships?) you can create one that uses sails (ala Meridian). It would probably be slower than one of Eberron's sky-galleons, because wind can be unpredictable, but it's doable.

Might not be cheaper, of course... but it's an option.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vergil Tanner

QUICK THING.

How combat intensive is this game gonna be? I know that that depends on the players, but personally speaking, I kinda imagine Camilla being more of a lover (and partier) than a fighter. I see her trying to charm and seduce obstacles out of the way more often than punching them, y'know? :P

Hunter

I think someone mentioned point buy, so I'll pick the number 30.   I think I've already covered equipment somewhere.

As far as combat, I'll not plan more than once per gig.   As for the airship, think of it as your tour bus.   And yes, sometimes getting there will be part of the challenge.   The band manager's name will be ...  Cattrilla Declaw with her teddy bear eidilon named Perrin.

Please do continue, I'll work up actual game threads when we've hashed out all the details.

Vergil Tanner

Vergil Tanner

Also: What are we doing about Health? And what restrictions are there on this instrument we're all starting with?

I'm trying to get as much of the sheet done as possible now, since Ill be gone for the weekend (20 hour flight >.> )

Hunter

Hit points: Half plus one, or roll.    Take the higher result.

No real limitation, but something really overpowered might be of limited usage or otherwise gimped.    As an example, it might really be an Axe of the Dwarven Lords...but it also might be cursed to be a paperweight.

Vergil Tanner

Ta muchly!

What limitations would there be on a flamethrower guitar that's also a literal axe? :P :P

Hunter

Vergil Tanner

We-ell, what I'm thinking is that it's not really combat-efficient, and she has to find the money to pay for fuel for the damn thing. I mean, this world doesn't exactly have petrol as a standard resource! Fueling it up is gonna cost some scratch. In my head, I'm thinking...it doesn't actually blast out fire. It can fire out a flammable gas - that has a limit - and she has to use a Cantrip (Spark) to ignite it. Thankfully for a Bard / Skald, they can cast spells whilst playing their instrument, so that isn't an issue. When used as a weapon...well, it would probably be the equivalent of a Simple Axe rather than a martial weapon. It does have the benefit of being summonable via the cantrip "Summon Instrument," though.
Those are just beginner musings, though. I have to sleep, so I shall think more on it when I've had some rest :P

Bibliophilia

Bibliophilia

Well, that was condescending as hell.

I need to seriously consider whether I'm still interested in this, unfortunately.

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 02:48:57 PM
Well, that was condescending as hell.

I need to seriously consider whether I'm still interested in this, unfortunately.

It was not intended to be, my apologies.    I'll simply withdraw from the GM spot and the game then.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

Bibliophilia

Are you kidding me?  So, now, because I expressed how something you said made me feel, you're basically dropping the game and making it my fault?

Thanks, guy.  That helped me make my decision.  I think you should stay, since I'm the only one who seems to have a problem with you being the GM and I do not want to be the reason four other people don't get to play a game they seem excited for.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
Are you kidding me?  So, now, because I expressed how something you said made me feel, you're basically dropping the game and making it my fault?

Thanks, guy.  That helped me make my decision.  I think you should stay, since I'm the only one who seems to have a problem with you being the GM and I do not want to be the reason four other people don't get to play a game they seem excited for.

I missed something...

And I'm not entirely certain I like the impression I'm getting - and not from you, Bib. :/

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Thorne on July 26, 2018, 03:07:55 PM
I missed something...

And I'm not entirely certain I like the impression I'm getting - and not from you, Bib. :/

He deleted the post that I felt was condescending.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:09:25 PM
He deleted the post that I felt was condescending.

… That's what I thought. I'm with you; that throws up red flags.
Looks like we'll need a new GM.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Honestly, there was no reason to delete it.  He wasn't overtly rude or anything, he just used the phrase 'let me clue you in to how I...' and that sort of struck me as condescending.  The stuff that came after was honestly far more troubling than the inciting post.

Sorry for kinda throwing a wrench in the works, guys.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:15:58 PM
Honestly, there was no reason to delete it.  He wasn't overtly rude or anything, he just used the phrase 'let me clue you in to how I...' and that sort of struck me as condescending.  The stuff that came after was honestly far more troubling than the inciting post.

Well, either way, it's not kosher.
And I wouldn't worry about it; better a wrench now, before we'd really got into the planning phase, than a hundred posts in, eh?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:15:58 PM

No, it's entirely my own fault.   And I'll accept the entirety of the blame and all the hate for it.   I was willing to go ahead and GM in-spite of my own personal reservations, as this isn't the kind of game I normally either get involved in or game master.

As for the phrase in question, I was trying to clarify as to how I normally do things.    As this seemed to be "hateful" to you, I decided that it was simply better for me to not be involved.       That said, best of luck.    Really.

Bibliophilia

I never said hateful, not once.  And I don't think anyone here hates anyone.

Chanticleer

Okay, I missed something unpleasant, it seems. It looks like it found a resolution in the interval, though. Hunter, my apologies if you were feeling pressured to GM something you weren't comfortable with. Enthusiasm was definitely a thing last night.

Bib, are you still with us, I hope?

Are we going to go ahead, while looking for another GM?

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 03:35:37 PM
Okay, I missed something unpleasant, it seems. It looks like it found a resolution in the interval, though. Hunter, my apologies if you were feeling pressured to GM something you weren't comfortable with. Enthusiasm was definitely a thing last night.

I am.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 03:35:37 PM

I hate how things shook out, but I can't say that I'm not more comfortable remaining part of the game now.  I just didn't want my own personal misgivings to upturn the apple cart.

I do like the idea of it being more of a collaborative effort as far as running individual 'episodes'.  I've never run a D&D game before, but the idea of a more casual game with more quirky episodic adventures interests me immensely as a chance to dip my toe.

Maybe we should sort of try making up the basic rules as a group and...I mean, if no one else wants to kick things off, I'm willing to run the initial episode.

Hunter

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:24:14 PM
I never said hateful, not once.  And I don't think anyone here hates anyone.

But that's how I interpreted it.   So we have a case of mutual misunderstanding.

Again, good luck with the game as it seems to be an idea that you'd enjoy.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:41:43 PM
I hate how things shook out, but I can't say that I'm not more comfortable remaining part of the game now.  I just didn't want my own personal misgivings to upturn the apple cart.

I do like the idea of it being more of a collaborative effort as far as running individual 'episodes'.  I've never run a D&D game before, but the idea of a more casual game with more quirky episodic adventures interests me immensely as a chance to dip my toe.

Maybe we should sort of try making up the basic rules as a group and...I mean, if no one else wants to kick things off, I'm willing to run the initial episode.

That sounds like a good idea; I like it.

I have run games - hell, am running one - but I've not found running PbP to work out too well for me. Or anyone else.
But I don't mind helping out, if needed.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 03:41:43 PM

I think that cooperating to set out the rules/guidelines of how things will work is an excellent idea. If you do decide you want to start things off, I hope everybody will bear in mind that it's your first time and do things like spell out their bonuses in rolls, try not to do anything too shifty and convoluted, and that just in general people will try to accomodate to each other's play-styles with the goal that everyone should have fun together.

At this time, we've got 5 votes each on setting and on levels. Setting won't be changed by a sixth vote: It's currently 4/1 in favor of the multiversal/planescape thing. On the other hand, the levels-poll currently is showing 3/2 in favor of 3rd level vs. 5th. A 6th vote could conceivably tie it.

Vergil, I think that while it will be fun to have roadies and other NPCs running around (and in fact makes excellent sense), that trying to get people to commit to playing those characters is probably not going to fly in the long term, while on the other hand, if you invite someone to for a particular scene, they might be entirely willing. I'd suggest dropping them in as NPCs, putting whatever spin/personality/races on them you'd like, and letting it be known that other people can post their actions as appropriate, then extending invitations for other things. A good viewpoint guideline would be that recruits are fundamentally minions/cohorts attached to one character, and most people generally sign up in games to play the character they want to play rather than someone else's minion. If the purpose of the recruits is just to function as sock puppets, people probably will be more reluctant to commit to participating. I don't think that needs to be put to a vote.

I would like to put to a vote the idea of rotating GMs/episodes, with an understanding that it is not a REQUIREMENT that everyone must take a turn at GMing (so if you don't want to/aren't comfortable with it, that's totally fine and we don't want you to feel pressured!).

I'd also like to put to a vote the idea of having any sort of established transport at 3rd level (since it looks like 3rd level is where we'll be starting...Hmmm. That might obviate the 'Recruits' feat, I don't remember) versus having to 'figure it out' and 'make our way.'

In regard to that, I'd also like to suggest a sort of amorphous non-specific minigame: band manager finds a place to play with X seats at Y gp/attendee. The shenanigans the band gets up to in trying to get there may actively increase the crowd (or decrease it if the band as a whole does something terribly publicly awful/foolish). This makes for a sort of amusing side 'Well, we could get there on horseback with a day to spare much more cheaply than taking the train, but also with possibly more encounters and troubles...' kind of math. 'Guys, we can still make a profit on tomorrow's show if you're willing to sleep in the barn which I've been assured repeatedly isn't haunted and the owner said it so many times that I believe him even though I don't remember how the subject came up.' I'd suggest keeping the numbers vague and making this more of an in-character concern that's played for laughs and shenanigans than any sort of OOC accounting budget.

Bibliophilia

I would personally feel more comfortable running for 3rd level characters.  I'm not familiar with how to balance encounters, yet, so having them be a bit lower level will help...I think.  Hell, maybe there's no difference.  -giggles.-  Anyhow, luckily there's a lot of advice and guides online to help me figure things out.

Chant, I like the minigame idea.  Plus, we as the players never know what will affect it, either positively or negatively, because that will largely be based on the GM's discretion.  Like, if the band is playing in a rough town full of angry dwarves who like bloodsport (I assume there's something like that somewhere in the multiverse), they might actually increase attendance to their concert with a rowdy bar brawl the night before that ends in battered faces, broken teeth and harsh names being bandied about.  However, the same thing happening in an Elven enclave with a bunch of man-buns, feather earrings and the medieval equivalent of yoga pants would greatly diminish their turn-out.

Chanticleer

And upon further investigation of the Warlock, it's clear I was totally confused and misremembering it as the DnD3.5 warlock, not this weird batman vigilante thing.

So now I need to figure out what my character is, besides a male kobold who looks hot in hose and heels.

Thank goodness I've got the important bits figured out!

Bibliophilia

Oh god...I just realized that he is going to ruin so many pairs of fishnet stockings with those scaly legs.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 07:17:49 PM
Oh god...I just realized that he is going to ruin so many pairs of fishnet stockings with those scaly legs.

Hey, the slightly shredded look is in, right? Right?!

Bibliophilia

Slightly?  You try putting stockings on a komodo dragon and see how shredded they turn out!

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 07:45:31 PM
Slightly?  You try putting stockings on a komodo dragon and see how shredded they turn out!

Are you impugning my character's sleek, sexy, scaly legs?

Thorne

Eh, we can get him a few pairs that have been designed for scaly-legged wearers. Just tattered enough...

I think Cyr's stage aesthetic is going to be a touch less … vivid. Blue dreads, slick purple or black.. whatever... silk! Yhesss… silk. And corsets. *sage nod*

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

This place is awful, it drives me to think about how to put hose on lizard legs.

So. Hose with no toes. Rolled up, it becomes a torus. Roll it (don't drag it!) up to the thigh, then unroll it down the leg. Voila. No dragging or friction against scales has taken place.

Bibliophilia

And sliding with the grain of scales is perfectly silky smooth!  Genius.  I concede to your top-down stocking invention.

Chanticleer

Foolish question:

We never talked about alignments. Anybody got any ideas so far? I'm thinking Lawful Good would be a difficult sell...

Bibliophilia

I'm leaning Chaotic Good for Mynx.  Like, she wants to be this bad-ass rebel, but deep down she would give her half of the stolen bread to the starving homeless children.

Thorne

I'm leaning Lawful Neutral - yes, Lawful - for Cyr, although I can be talked into alternatives. Mostly, because of her Curse; I went for the one where you can't go back on deals, but damn if you aren't a master of making them! This seems like something that would be useful to a band fulla hard-rockin' rebel scum stars.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Vergil Tanner

I'm feeling Chaotic Neutral for Camilla. She just wants her cake, all the time. :P

Chanticleer

So, we're looking at a band that probably looks scarier than they really are. :)

Vergil Tanner

I dunno, I have an image of Camilla inviting a pair of cute fans up on stage, drinking their blood live, then sending them back to the VIP for her to fuck their brains out later :P

Bibliophilia

Isn't that par for the course?  -giggles.-  I'll bet anything at least one of the members of Gwar has had their nails painted by a niece or daughter.

Chanticleer

Also, if I'm reading the scrollback correctly, we've got, uhm...

1x Dhampir Skald,
1x Gnome Witch,
1x Tiefling Scout,
1x Chula Unknown
1x Kobold Unknown

So we've got a rage-y bard-y type, a debuffer type, a ranged skirmisher type, and a pair of unknowns.

Hm. How to make an effective melee kobold.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 09:25:23 PM
Hm. How to make an effective melee kobold.

3 levels in Unchained Rogue; Finesse Training will give you free weapon Finesse and dex-to-damage for a finessable weapon, and you'll have 2d6 sneak attack damage. Fighter has a few routes: the simplest is just taking the Devish Dance and sashaying around with a scimitar; this actually works fine on any melee, but I like fighter for the feats and HP on a kobold. Another, if you want to eat all your feats, is Weapon Finesse -> Weapon Focus (Glaive) -> Bladed brush -> Slashing Grace: That way you end up with dex to attack, dex to damage, on a weapon that you can use as a one-handed, two-handed, or two-handed reach weapon.

basically anything that trades your Strength for Dexterity is good. Another route to go is to just make up for the lack of Strength with bonus damage: Ranger, Paladin, and a few others tack some damage on the back end of some of your attacks. And of course there's the quantity over quality approach; Monks get flurry of blows and shifters get natural attacks.

You can also go the "I have a friend" route and go hunter, druid, summoner, spiritualist, basically any "pet" class. Spiritualist might actually fir your theme pretty well. Plus: proficiency with scythes!

And lastly, there's always the Kineticist, whose damage is based off constitution... Which kobolds do get a penalty to, but it's not nearly as big as the -4 to Strength... plus those elemental attacks are pretty sweet.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 26, 2018, 10:45:30 PM
3 levels in Unchained Rogue; Finesse Training will give you free weapon Finesse and dex-to-damage for a finessable weapon, and you'll have 2d6 sneak attack damage. Fighter has a few routes: the simplest is just taking the Devish Dance and sashaying around with a scimitar; this actually works fine on any melee, but I like fighter for the feats and HP on a kobold. Another, if you want to eat all your feats, is Weapon Finesse -> Weapon Focus (Glaive) -> Bladed brush -> Slashing Grace: That way you end up with dex to attack, dex to damage, on a weapon that you can use as a one-handed, two-handed, or two-handed reach weapon.

basically anything that trades your Strength for Dexterity is good. Another route to go is to just make up for the lack of Strength with bonus damage: Ranger, Paladin, and a few others tack some damage on the back end of some of your attacks. And of course there's the quantity over quality approach; Monks get flurry of blows and shifters get natural attacks.

You can also go the "I have a friend" route and go hunter, druid, summoner, spiritualist, basically any "pet" class. Spiritualist might actually fir your theme pretty well. Plus: proficiency with scythes!

And lastly, there's always the Kineticist, whose damage is based off constitution... Which kobolds do get a penalty to, but it's not nearly as big as the -4 to Strength... plus those elemental attacks are pretty sweet.

Thanks, Chula. I think I was just chasing my tail in circles. I have this thing where I'm gradually trying to play all the PF classes, and so of course that means I almost reflexively try to avoid the obvious stuff like Rogue Dervish Dancers. I hadn't realized there was a way to get Dex to Damage with a fighter, though! That's new. I actually was poking at Kineticist, a little bit, but I hadn't made up my mind about it.

Alternately I might just go 'rule of cool' since this is mostly a social-seeming game and 'for fun' not 'for minmaxers.'

Have you any ideas about your character, yet?

Bibliophilia

Oh!  So, are we all good with 25 point buy?  I kinda like the high fantasy point buy, especially since we seem to be going with the lower end level option.

Plus, you know, they need to be impressive...even if they're also kind of fuck-ups.  Seriously, in my head these are totally the kids in high school whose teachers were all 'they have so much potential, if they'd only apply themselves'!

-mutters.-  ...maybe I'm just projecting, though.  -kicks rocks.-

Bibliophilia

WE NEED A BAND NAME!

Uhm...-ahem.-  We should discuss that at some point, too.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 10:50:15 PM
Have you any ideas about your character, yet?

I suspect they may be bipedal!  XD

But no, I need to go looking for ideas; it's been too hot to think today

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 10:57:01 PM
WE NEED A BAND NAME!

Uhm...-ahem.-  We should discuss that at some point, too.

I think I suggested one earlier, but it probably got lost in the shuffle. ^^;

Six Demon Bag?
(I know some people who'd probably start yelling 'Nuclear Krill!' - but you'd have to justify THAT one.)

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 10:55:45 PM
Oh!  So, are we all good with 25 point buy?  I kinda like the high fantasy point buy, especially since we seem to be going with the lower end level option.

Plus, you know, they need to be impressive...even if they're also kind of fuck-ups.  Seriously, in my head these are totally the kids in high school whose teachers were all 'they have so much potential, if they'd only apply themselves'!

-mutters.-  ...maybe I'm just projecting, though.  -kicks rocks.-

I'm perfectly happy with 25-point buy, yes.

And I love your vision of them.

Also, regarding the other 'is everyone alright with' questions.

4 people have responded to the GMing query. Currently it's 3-1 in favor of rotating GMs.
5 people have responded to the 'Do we own a bus?' query. Currently it's 4-1 in favor of 'No, but we've got thumbs.'

I don't know why someone didn't vote on the GMing query, but even if they do vote on the low side that'll still give us 3-2.

So I consider these questions basically resolved, but open to discussion if it's a deal-breaker for anyone.

Vergil Tanner

Hmmm. That's an interesting conundrum.

Fragment of Fear? Flood of Blood? Primal Attraction? Discordant Serenity? Cranial Collapse? Bittersweet Bloodrain? Scarlet Smash? Salvo of Screams? Damned Horizons?

Bibliophilia

Quote from: Thorne on July 26, 2018, 11:06:48 PM
I think I suggested one earlier, but it probably got lost in the shuffle. ^^;

Six Demon Bag?
(I know some people who'd probably start yelling 'Nuclear Krill!' - but you'd have to justify THAT one.)

I don't get the reference, likely because of my limited knowledge of the lore, but I'd put forth Six Demon Sack.  Still works for this reference, but has the added benefit of vaguely sexual wordplay, alliteration and a pleasing cadence.

Edit:  So, I just looked it up.  I've seen Little Trouble, but only twice and it's been a long time, don't judge me!

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 11:28:33 PM
I don't get the reference, likely because of my limited knowledge of the lore, but I'd put forth Seven Demon Sack.  Still works for this reference, but has the added benefit of vaguely sexual wordplay, alliteration and a pleasing cadence.

Oh.. that isn't a D&D reference.. that's an old movie reference. I like Seven Demon Sack, though; that's cute.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 26, 2018, 11:21:56 PM
Hmmm. That's an interesting conundrum.

Fragment of Fear? Flood of Blood? Primal Attraction? Discordant Serenity? Cranial Collapse? Bittersweet Bloodrain? Scarlet Smash? Salvo of Screams? Damned Horizons?

Blood Cup of Gorgorock (Who? I don't know)
War-Chief's Wake-up Call
Eye of the Beholder

Oh hell, there's a web page with a giant list.

Quick, everyone pick your top five!

Arrowsmith
Blinkdog-182
Foghelm
Nine Inch Flails
Killer Corpse Orgy

...And then there's this.

Bibliophilia

Also had to fix my mistake on the number.  Six Demon Sack is just as good as Seven Demon Sack and isn't, you know, me being a dingus.

The fun thing about band names is that they often change over time, so we can all decide on one now and the group could decide to change it later on IC.  -grins.-  So, we shouldn't worry too much that what we pick is forever.

But, that said, Six Demon Sack appeals to me.

Also, I mentioned this to Chula, but are we all cool with the idea of other characters being brought in later on, should people decide they want to join or someone in the group wants to invite a friend, or whatever?  I feel like the premise of the game and its structure makes swapping people in and out at will fairly easy.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 26, 2018, 11:40:43 PM
Also had to fix my mistake on the number.  Six Demon Sack is just as good as Seven Demon Sack and isn't, you know, me being a dingus.

The fun thing about band names is that they often change over time, so we can all decide on one now and the group could decide to change it later on IC.  -grins.-  So, we shouldn't worry too much that what we pick is forever.

But, that said, Six Demon Sack appeals to me.

Also, I mentioned this to Chula, but are we all cool with the idea of other characters being brought in later on, should people decide they want to join or someone in the group wants to invite a friend, or whatever?  I feel like the premise of the game and its structure makes swapping people in and out at will fairly easy.

Velvet Overkill.
In Your Time of Dying.

But more seriously, if  Six Demon Sack works for everybody, I'm completely fine with that. :)

As for adding on other players and characters, that sounds great. Bands sometimes grow or shrink, there's always room on the Road Crew, and yes, the premise makes this sort of thing ridiculously easy. :)

I really like how flexible the premise is. How the hell did we get here?

Vergil Tanner

I actually don't really like Six Demon Sack, personally. I dunno, it just...doesn't work.

That being said, I love Velvet Overkill xD

Thorne

You got enough names, we can probably use most of them. Rivals, friends and fellow musicians...

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

True, but we should probably pick one for now.

Also, I have ideas that need a bit of writing out. Because being a rock band without a record label and all of the problems incurred thereby is less exciting, which means fantasy 'How do record companies work?' is on the table...

EDIT: I think Vergil, you were asking about a flamethrower guitar? It seems to me the easiest way to handle that is to make your guitar a wand of burning hands.

Chanticleer

This is only canon if people agree it'd be fun for it to be, but I had fun writing it, so...

A Brief History of the Interplanar Music Concordiat
and
the Rise of the Superstar

Sorcerous capabilities for the repetition of sounds have been extant far back into the recorded history of numerous of the planes, particularly the myriad variants of the Prime Material accessible within the multiverse. A common, nigh-standardized example found in a variety of species-specific forms across the planes is the so-called 'Magic Mouth' enchantment, which allows the repetition of a series of sounds upon a specific triggering condition. This was predominantly used as a means of leaving messages or warnings.

In various planar and multiplanar empires, as bureaucratic entropy increased, it became necessary to provide accurate and adequate records of diverse discussions. These were frequently recorded by scribes who were prone to error and unable to manage recording multiple simultaneous speakers. This resulted in spellcasters working for such organizations beginning to research more specialized magics meant to record and playback all sounds from a given location over an extended period of time (Notably, in the Satrapy of Skamaris, nearly five millenia ago in Sigil-standard time, multiple fire-elven casters were able to create recordings of multiple hours of speech by literally transforming sound into cylinders of dense rock, which were then read and replayed via another spell which converted stone to sound.). It was not until nine Satraps later, however, that one of the rulers undertook the establishment of a library for non-bureaucratic purposes, starting with her own public speeches and culminating in an assortment of popular musical works by her favorite musicians.

This was but one of several simultaneous foundations to what we now understand to be the interplanar music industry. In the intervening four millenia, systems have risen and fallen as clockwork tinkerers among the dwarves, gnomes and goblins competed with more refined systems of magic in an attempt to produce more accurately refined, more easily replayable, and above all, more remarketable ways to record and play back sound.

The current 'crystal standard' relies upon 'blowing' an audio performance into a crystal (rated by purity, with the most expensive being the realm of purist audiophiles and beings with hearing far more discretionary than that of most mortals and the cheapest being useful only for passing carefully spoken messages) using a standardized 'Crystallize Sound' spell, which is maintained as a closely-kept secret by the Interplanar Music Concordiat, taught only to their own wizards and then carefully removed from their minds upon dismissal. Such a crystal can then be 'played' in numerous players, some magical and some technological, again with various degrees of audio 'fidelity.' (Despite these measures, spells exist which are rumored to match the fidelity of the 'official' Crystallize Sound spell, and are used to create cheap copies of rarer crystals which are then sold on the black market, much to the Concordiat's chagrin.)

While the IMC takes great pains to track down and destroy (rumor has it, quite painfully) those who attempt to market copied crystals, the sales it makes in interplanar music are actually so vast that so-called audio pirates truly pose no threat at this time. If ever a mass source of high-quality crystals becomes cheaply available, pirated crystals may prove a greater threat to the IMC's dominance, but to date the IMC has proven adept at hiding the source of its wealth.

In order to maintain the rate of sales which its coffers are accustomed to, the IMC continually is on the lookout for musicians whose performances are likely to be popular on multiple planes. Every plane has its own local industry which kowtows to the IMC, and many of these even have smaller, theoretically independent music produces which attempt to drum up business by focusing on local musicians and traditions and distancing themselves from the IMC's 'foreign' produce. Competition is fierce, because the IMC is known to 'headhunt' successful musicians away from these independent companies, and even a moderately capable musician at an independent company is likely to make a fairly good living.

There is, however, a strangely slippery slope. As popularity increases, and the possibility of a musician or band being snapped up by the IMC becomes more likely, the independents and the IMC itself will begin aggressively promoting them across not only their own, but all of the dimensions which the IMC feels meet their profile. At this point, the stakes become high. Individual performers and bands are shipped and shopped around to various regions and dimensions to try to build up recognition, often finding themselves lost in a bizarre, fast-paced life of luxury and danger. Competition from other bands can become deadly, and access to strange cultures, strange drugs and stranger magics take their toll. Near-implosion is part of the mystique of many bands, and if they survive the strains of this time, they may become like unto gods: their names becoming household words in diverse planes, their every whim granted, and their lives inestimable luxury.

At least, that's how the IMC portrays things. Those who watch in the long term are apt to notice that bands fall as quickly as they rise, shuffled off in one fashion or another to make way for the newest sellers.

But hey, 'worry about staying on top once you've gotten on top,' is the common wisdom, as desperate musicians from around the multiverse study different forms of music and alien instruments, adopting stage personas in hopes of winning audience approval. The best of the best savagely strive to work out of Sigil itself, playing their way through the dives and dissipating crowds of the Hive Zone, touring other planes for (hopefully) fast money and widespread fame, all in hopes of eventually making it back to Sigil for the yearly great Battle of the Bands, winner take all, as chosen by the Lady of Pain herself in the presence of the IMC's top talent scouts.

In addition to the marketing of musical crystals, there are a number of ancillary interdimensional and local businesses which tie into the IMC, ranging from manufacturers of playback systems to producers of trade-marked artwork and clothing based on popular bands, and even musical instruments themselves. Local forms, copies, and black-market bootlegs of all of these are common anywhere that production costs drop below established original sale prices. Many up-and-coming bands participate in this sort of thing themselves, striving to make ends meet by undercutting IMC outlets with their own products. This is, of course, potentially dangerous...

Chulanowa

as for band name? Dëthflümph

Vergil Tanner

SO.

I'm totally on board with this, but I'm flying out of China and back to England tomorrow, so...I'll be gone from tomorrow morning my time (about 12 hours), to likely Sunday Afternoon at the earliest England Time (about 48 hours). So...wish me a happy trip! >.>

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 27, 2018, 10:42:55 AM
SO.

I'm totally on board with this, but I'm flying out of China and back to England tomorrow, so...I'll be gone from tomorrow morning my time (about 12 hours), to likely Sunday Afternoon at the earliest England Time (about 48 hours). So...wish me a happy trip! >.>

We'll try not to turn it into a bluegrass band playing fern bars before you get back.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 27, 2018, 11:00:50 AM
We'll try not to turn it into a bluegrass band playing fern bars before you get back.

But no guarantees

Chulanowa

Chanticleer

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 27, 2018, 11:22:56 AM
Also any idea on your class yet chant?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a personal question but by any chance are you one of those people who if you know you're a shoo-in for a party will wait and see what's missing and do your character last?

Because I am definitely one of those people and if we're both doing that then I'll make a list of my current frustrating choices and roll a die. :D

Also, is everybody mostly in on the thing I posted about the record industry? Or does anyone see anything they'd like to change? It's not graven in stone, it's just a (very damn wordy because I write a lot when I'm a little drunk) suggestion.

So we're currently at 25 point buy, 3rd level, transportation to be arranged, beg, borrowed or stolen. XD

Also, it might be amusing to get some musical influences for characters up as we go, with the idea being that the band's sound sort of swings back and forth between influences depending on which character is pushiest about a given song (creative differences are always a thing, sooner or later...Some bands survive them, some don't. Whee, additional character tensions! "I love you, but if you use that one damned drum fill ONE MORE TIME...").

Bibliophilia

-glances between Chant and Chula, is quietly amused.-

Thorne

I'm out for the day, but your ideas intrigue me and I wish to know more.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chulanowa

I'm feeling like this band definitely needs a spiritual adviser / moral center / supplier of good drugs.

So. Looking at some sort of Divine caster, with a definite lean towards cleric, Druid, or shaman. Maaaaaaybe Spiritualist.

Thorne

… Huhn. I get the impression the times I have mentioned that Cyrellia is an Oracle haven't been noted. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chulanowa

Quote from: Thorne on July 29, 2018, 03:36:35 AM
… Huhn. I get the impression the times I have mentioned that Cyrellia is an Oracle haven't been noted. ^^;

PFAH, Charisma casters don't count as *REAL* characters!  :P Ahem. Well. I hate beign hte Redundancy Department of Redundancy guy, so, I guess I'll keep rummaging. I coulda sworn you were going with a skald.

Thorne

That was someone else, I think.

I mean.. I have one. But I'm pretty sure Cyrellia is a better fit. :p

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Oh!  So, guys, I was thinking that due to the nature of the game, we should totally use Background Skills.  What do you guys think?  It feels like it'll help flesh out the social and performative aspects of the characters without having to sacrifice a lot of the utility.

Thorne

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 29, 2018, 12:18:25 PM
Oh!  So, guys, I was thinking that due to the nature of the game, we should totally use Background Skills.  What do you guys think?  It feels like it'll help flesh out the social and performative aspects of the characters without having to sacrifice a lot of the utility.

I like this plan!

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chanticleer

Okay, this will be difficult. *Swoons* Hold me, somebody. I'm being completely and laughably ludicrous rules-wise here...

But it's all in pursuit of 'rule of cool' and 'IS IT METAL ENOUGH?' just for the sake of the crazy.

Barring excessive screaming, Marli will be...a kobold with:

Adopted trait, raised by bats elves (Racial Trait: Weapon Familiarity: Blah, blah, bah, stuff, blah, rapier, bow...Anything with 'Elven' in its name = Elven Curve Blade, which is a finessable 1h weapon), 1 level of Swashbuckler (Picaroon) (Two-Weapon Finesse = finesse/TWF but ONLY with a 1h finessable weapon (ECB) and a 1h firearm (dagger pistol, yay), Weapon Focus: ECB at Lvl 1, Cavalier (Ghost Rider), Order of the Flame, now has access to heavy armor, a summonable ghost wolf mount, Kobold preferred class bonus adds 5' level to mount's speed when used to charge/withdraw, Glorious challenge to keep up rolling challenges all day, every day, bonus to Intimidate when at full (or better) health, Slashing Finesse: ECB at Lvl 3 (Dex to Dmg but only when off-hand is empty). Weapon cord on the dagger pistol.

Kobold riding a big spooky ghost wolf and wearing partial gothic plate plackart with faulds and tassets over a corset and long ruffled dress, plate gauntlets and greaves, swinging a curve-blade as tall as he is and with the occasional florentine moment with a dagger pistol in the off-hand.

Total album cover material. ;)

You may now commence throwing things at me.

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 29, 2018, 12:18:25 PM

I like this idea a lot! Anyone not like this idea?

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 29, 2018, 03:34:34 AM
I'm feeling like this band definitely needs a spiritual adviser / moral center / supplier of good drugs.

So. Looking at some sort of Divine caster, with a definite lean towards cleric, Druid, or shaman. Maaaaaaybe Spiritualist.

Wouldn't supplier of good drugs be an alchemist? Or are those not-so-good drugs?

Also, what other contenders did we have for the band name that got multiple people weighing in on them besides Six Demon Bag and Velvet Overkill?

Chanticleer

Questions to be considered:

We seem to've gone with the multiverse idea, so which universe is your character from? Do we want all of our characters to be from one particular setting, like Faerun (I like Faerun, yes I do...Okay, I also like Eberron. And that creepy Athas place, too, I guess, and...)?

How did your character get started playing music?

At what point did they decide they wanted to be in a band?

At what point did they decide they wanted to be in THIS band?

It's possible to land in Sigil accidentally (Portals! Portals everywhere! I'm not saying it was portals, but...Portals!). Is that how the band gets there? Or did your character end up joining the band in Sigil after getting there on their own?

Thorne

Hm.. Cyrellia might have been based in Golarion, but falling through an overgrown archway in Sigil will broaden anybody's horizon.
… and bonus, she isn't going to be the oddball in the city. Just, you know, Clueless...

I think I'll start there, see where this goes. I'm yet not sure how she's going to get involved exactly.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chulanowa

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 29, 2018, 03:54:07 PM
Okay, this will be difficult. *Swoons* Hold me, somebody. I'm being completely and laughably ludicrous rules-wise here...

But it's all in pursuit of 'rule of cool' and 'IS IT METAL ENOUGH?' just for the sake of the crazy.

Barring excessive screaming, Marli will be...a kobold with:

Adopted trait, raised by bats elves (Racial Trait: Weapon Familiarity: Blah, blah, bah, stuff, blah, rapier, bow...Anything with 'Elven' in its name = Elven Curve Blade, which is a finessable 1h weapon), 1 level of Swashbuckler (Picaroon) (Two-Weapon Finesse = finesse/TWF but ONLY with a 1h finessable weapon (ECB) and a 1h firearm (dagger pistol, yay), Weapon Focus: ECB at Lvl 1, Cavalier (Ghost Rider), Order of the Flame, now has access to heavy armor, a summonable ghost wolf mount, Kobold preferred class bonus adds 5' level to mount's speed when used to charge/withdraw, Glorious challenge to keep up rolling challenges all day, every day, bonus to Intimidate when at full (or better) health, Slashing Finesse: ECB at Lvl 3 (Dex to Dmg but only when off-hand is empty). Weapon cord on the dagger pistol.

Kobold riding a big spooky ghost wolf and wearing partial gothic plate plackart with faulds and tassets over a corset and long ruffled dress, plate gauntlets and greaves, swinging a curve-blade as tall as he is and with the occasional florentine moment with a dagger pistol in the off-hand.

Total album cover material. ;)

You may now commence throwing things at me.

I like this idea a lot! Anyone not like this idea?

So a swashbuckling salamander on a spirit-wolf. Well, that doesn't knock too heavily into my (revised) plans to go with some sort of big melee-type. Though it does have me re-ponderign lighter melee / skill-heavy.

It's not that I wait to see what everyone else is making, it's that I'm so slow deciding what I want to do that everyone else has already taken everything isn't a fucking rogue  ;D

QuoteAlso, what other contenders did we have for the band name that got multiple people weighing in on them besides Six Demon Bag and Velvet Overkill?

I'm sticking by Dëthflümph.

Thorne

Velvet Overkill seems fairly appropriate for what this crew is physically looking like so far, honestly.
(Although I know some people who would loudly approve of Dëthflümph. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

Hey, guys, do you think we need a recruitment thread, or should I just toss up an OOC and a Character Sheet thread?

I can collate and list our agreed-upon creation guidelines in the first post.  I can also pop our GMing guidelines in the first post of our game thread, so that any future DMs have ready access and we can add to the list as time goes on, should we decide on new ideas together.  I'll probably also make the second post a spot for episode recap summaries, so any new people coming in can get caught up without reading through all the posts that came before.  Useful for potential DMs, and any players who just like feeling up-to-date on things.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 31, 2018, 10:27:32 PM
Hey, guys, do you think we need a recruitment thread, or should I just toss up an OOC and a Character Sheet thread?

I can collate and list our agreed-upon creation guidelines in the first post.  I can also pop our GMing guidelines in the first post of our game thread, so that any future DMs have ready access and we can add to the list as time goes on, should we decide on new ideas together.  I'll probably also make the second post a spot for episode recap summaries, so any new people coming in can get caught up without reading through all the posts that came before.  Useful for potential DMs, and any players who just like feeling up-to-date on things.

Sounds like a plan. I don't think we need to do any more recruiting at this time. As active as this thread has been, I'd think other interested parties would've weighed in.

Maybe put up a band-name poll in the OOC thread. It looks like we've got (in order of appearance) Six Demon Bag, Velvet Overkill, and Dethflumph. Any others?

Bibliophilia

Oh!  I know the game isn't about sex, but there's been some groupie talk and the like.  Where do we want to put this game?  Light Exotic, or Bondage Exotic?  Or, were we wanting to go more extreme?  I tend to stick fairly vanilla if I include sex with my system games, so I'm good with Light or Bondage, but if others want to go to Extreme...I'm cool with that, so long as everyone is respectful of boundaries.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Bibliophilia on July 31, 2018, 10:44:37 PM
Oh!  I know the game isn't about sex, but there's been some groupie talk and the like.  Where do we want to put this game?  Light Exotic, or Bondage Exotic?  Or, were we wanting to go more extreme?  I tend to stick fairly vanilla if I include sex with my system games, so I'm good with Light or Bondage, but if others want to go to Extreme...I'm cool with that, so long as everyone is respectful of boundaries.

Indeed, I was just telling me mum that this game is only about drugs and rock'n'roll. There's certainly no sex, and Marli is certainly not a subscriber to the 'Dragon of the Month' club.

(But he'd love to be.)

And if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you. Came off a Fender played by the late, great Jimi himself.

I'm going to vote for...Hm, let's just poll it.

What's the band name? (If you have some other idea at this late date that you're keen on, just post it.)

And how sexy are we?

Chanticleer

Hmmmmm. The band name poll is all over the place. Velvet Overkill is ahead...But that's because it has 2 votes instead of 1.

And it's a DEAD HEAT between Exotic Extreme and Exotic Bondage, two votes each.

That's a little concerning. We do want folks to be comfortable. My personal preference runs to 'extreme' just for flexibility, but just so nobody feels uncomfortable, how about we keep the main roleplay down to levels of 'exotic bondage' and any deviations which require it might end up in their own sub-forum over on extreme, with participation always being a voluntary thing.

I'm pretty sure that's an Elliquiy site rule, that even in Extreme, player preferences must be respected. It's not so much a question of your level of control of your character as a level of what's okay to be portrayed. For instance, I think that possibly drugging and fucking the brains out of an entire orchestra so as to prevent them from getting on stage is getting in the vicinity of extreme due to being sort of date-rapey-ish.

Even though, yes, it was being portrayed with a "and hey, they loved it and were surprisingly fun!" sense of humor.

We still have one person who hasn't voted on either the band name or the forum, so this could go any which ol' way at this point.

Chanticleer

Instruments:

Since we're doing a multiplanar megaband thing, it seems completely reasonable to me that your character can have any instrument they like. Assume that if it's from a tech-based plane that it has had customization/conversion work to function alright in a magic/lo-tech environment. So if you want a Stratocaster, by all means have a Stratocaster.

Because trying to figure out actual cost equivalencies for all of these things would be ludicrous, I'm going to also suggestion that as a default benefit of 'this is a band game,' everybody has managed to beg/borrow/blow/steal themselves an instrument.

In order to support people who want an instrument that does things, just pay for the things and consider them to be part of the instrument. So, I believe the big question posed earlier was regarding an axe that looked like an axe and shot fire like the one from Fury Road.

• Axe-shaped guitar = Assumed to be free
  • Battle axe = However many gold for the weapon itself
  • Flamethrower = Wand of burning hands, which will need to be recharged like a normal wand of burning hands

Does that seem okay with everybody? Biblio, you're starting us off and it's your first time GMing, so does it seem reasonable to you?

Vergil Tanner

I would add that perhaps the instrument - being a custom job - would perhaps be a Masterwork Item?

Either way, I'm happy with whichever way the GM rules it. Wand of Burning Hands, or gas-fuelled thing that blasts out flammable gas. :P Either way, I would need a Feat and Burning Hands to recharge it :P

Chanticleer

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on August 02, 2018, 03:36:32 AM
I would add that perhaps the instrument - being a custom job - would perhaps be a Masterwork Item?

Either way, I'm happy with whichever way the GM rules it. Wand of Burning Hands, or gas-fuelled thing that blasts out flammable gas. :P Either way, I would need a Feat and Burning Hands to recharge it :P

I imagine it'll be masterwork if you pay for it to be.

I'm sure some of us will be upgrading our kit as we go, and it's entirely reasonable that what works when you're trying to get started in dive bars and small venues won't do so well in a 5,000-being arena, and vice-versa.

Bear in mind that this is all just my opinion and open to discussion/debate.

EDIT: Speaking of instruments, I think I may start Marli off with one of these...It's apparently a 17th-18th century 'keytar' called an orphica...

Imagine it's going to take a bit of enchanting to get the noises he wants out of it, but hey...

Bibliophilia

Okay.  I started working on the IC and OOC things.  They're still sort of in progress, mainly for the OOC just adding a list of all the creation and game stuff we've decided on.

Here's the OOC thread so we can move over there.  I'm gonna post some questions.

OOC Thread