Zeppelin Blitz: The Tale of the Iron Wings (D&D 5e)

Started by Sorvoe551, January 14, 2024, 10:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

I might make a paladin or fighter of some sort myself - ever so slightly leaning in to the former but nothing committed yet.

Rashol

Quote from: Sorvoe551 on March 25, 2024, 01:16:32 PMYou can still play a cleric! It doesn’t need to be everyone has a different class. Plus, the cool thing about Clerics is you can build them in so many ways that a party of nothing but Clerics can cover everything.
What I meant was you have enough people doing the magic.

Sorvoe551

Quote from: Rashol on March 25, 2024, 02:58:38 PMWhat I meant was you have enough people doing the magic.
If you want variety, that’s fine, but it’s not required. I ran a game that was three different Artificers. Another had two Warlocks and a Barbarian. If this group is magic focused, so be it. Don’t want to pressure you into a specific role, play what you want to play.

Sorvoe551

Quote from: Revelation on March 25, 2024, 01:59:22 PMI might make a paladin or fighter of some sort myself - ever so slightly leaning in to the former but nothing committed yet.
Hell yeah! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Sorvoe551

@DeformedCatholic Sorry to ping you out of the blue, but this campaign just got some steam back (ha!). Are you still interested in playing?

Revelation

Question, for racial starts are we using the standard ability scores prior to Tasha's (IE: Everyone's racial stat benefits being hard coded), or are we using Tasha's customizing your origin (IE: Making the usual +2/+1 racial stats flexible)? I'm trying to decide on what to play and I have a few concepts tossing around in my head but I'm not committed to anything just yet.

Brittlby

Considering a rough pitch for an Owlin airborne mechanic/ hit and run dogfight style ranger. Would there be any issues with that in the current team?
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Sorvoe551

Quote from: Brittlby on March 29, 2024, 09:52:32 AMConsidering a rough pitch for an Owlin airborne mechanic/ hit and run dogfight style ranger. Would there be any issues with that in the current team?
Not at all! That’s a great concept. I’d be super interested to see it.

Sorvoe551

Alrighty, for all people here who are interested, here are the full rules for character creation:

-Level 3, Standard Point Array
-All D&D races and classes are available, no third party content. Tasha’s variations are acceptable for classes and races
-You may include one (1) uncommon magical item

Looking forward to seeing the character results! You have until the end of the day on Friday, April 5th according to the EST time zone (don’t know if any of you are over the International Date Line, hence the specification). Have fun!

Brittlby

Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues

O/O

Sorvoe551

Brittlby

Hoot Scorcher, La dame sans peur!!!

Aarakocra / Arcane Trickster

Character Sheet

One of the proud alumni of Le Prestigieux Cirque Aviaire, a flying circus consisting of avian performers, Hoot has trained in death defying acts of dash and daring since she was a small chick, initially working as an assistant to the stage wizard, Gnort Tarka. From this she picked up a cursory knowledge of illusion and enchantment schools of the mystic arts, although she was more interested in perfecting her sleight of hand and hand job skills.

Posters proclaim her to be “The Lady Without Fear!”, notorious for acts of airborne agility and speed, she is also a gifted juggler, knife thrower and trick shot archer.

She was recruited to the Iron Wings by a wealthy patron whose daughter was a big fan of her circus act and Hoot’s talented tongue. The thrill seeker seeing an opportunity for bigger money and fame, Hoot leapt at the chance to join a Blitz team. To be clear, this “favor” on the part of her patron could be something of a poison pill to get the bird girl out of her daughter’s bed permanently, given the cumulative danger from the  high mortality rate of Zep Blitz AND the high mortality rate of being sponsored by Margaret Patton.

A low born with the thinnest veneer of class, despite being well educated in proper etiquette and noble womanly arts, Hoot’s troublingly common origins peeks through in her addiction to pipe leaf, alcohol, sex, dangerous situations, hallucinogens, narcotics magical and otherwise, as well as a streak of kleptomania a kilometer wide.

O/O

Sorvoe551

Quote from: Brittlby on March 31, 2024, 09:35:47 AMHoot Scorcher, La dame sans peur!!!

Aarakocra / Arcane Trickster

One of the proud alumni of Le Prestigieux Cirque Aviaire, a flying circus consisting of avian performers, Hoot has trained in death defying acts of dash and daring since she was a small chick, initially working as an assistant to the stage wizard, Gnort Tarka. From this she picked up a cursory knowledge of illusion and enchantment schools of the mystic arts, although she was more interested in perfecting her sleight of hand and hand job skills.

Posters proclaim her to be “The Lady Without Fear!”, notorious for acts of airborne agility and speed, she is also a gifted juggler, knife thrower and trick shot archer.

She was recruited to the Iron Wings by a wealthy patron whose daughter was a big fan of her circus act and Hoot’s talented tongue. The thrill seeker seeing an opportunity for bigger money and fame, Hoot leapt at the chance to join a Blitz team. To be clear, this “favor” on the part of her patron could be something of a poison pill to get the bird girl out of her daughter’s bed permanently, given the cumulative danger from the  high mortality rate of Zep Blitz AND the high mortality rate of being sponsored by Margaret Patton.

A low born with the thinnest veneer of class, despite being well educated in proper etiquette and noble womanly arts, Hoot’s troublingly common origins peeks through in her addiction to pipe leaf, alcohol, sex, dangerous situations, hallucinogens, narcotics magical and otherwise, as well as a streak of kleptomania a kilometer wide.

Ooh! She sounds like a ton of fun. I never planned on Patton having a daughter, but I can definitely work with that.

Quick question regarding the relationship between the daughter and Hoot, is it just a fling or would actual romantic tension be there?

Brittlby

Quote from: Sorvoe551 on March 31, 2024, 10:00:55 AMOoh! She sounds like a ton of fun. I never planned on Patton having a daughter, but I can definitely work with that.

Quick question regarding the relationship between the daughter and Hoot, is it just a fling or would actual romantic tension be there?
Probably just a fling on Hoot’s part that may be a first crush for the daughter!

I wasn’t necessarily committing Patton to it, so much as another noble or wealthy merchant pulling some strings to get Patton to take her on. BUT I’m okay with cutting out the middle woman and making it Patton if you want to go that direction. 

O/O

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Sorvoe551 on March 25, 2024, 01:16:32 PMYou can still play a cleric! It doesn’t need to be everyone has a different class. Plus, the cool thing about Clerics is you can build them in so many ways that a party of nothing but Clerics can cover everything.
He's right Rashol, you have a basic healbot, a fighter variant, a skill monkey, a DPS caster, a utility bot and I could go on. I made three clerics as a PC in a table top session and no three were the same.

I did a combat medic warpriest, a discount Gomez Addams grave cleric and a divine conduit tempest cleric/sorcerer.

pdragon

Zephora Ice-Vein

extra

Sea Elf / Blade Singer Wizard

Character Sheet

Real name Saphira Val'san, the young elf was born into what could be described as "lower-middle class". Her family lived just on the edges of where the common districts ended and the slums began, but they owned their own small corner shop and were able to afford a decently comfortable life. This was far from ideal for young Saphira though, who saw helping her parents around their dinky shop as nothing short of torture, and the prospect of taking over to do it for the rest of her life a fate worse than death. No her ambitions were aimed far higher. She didn't just want comfort, or even wealth, she wanted fame, recognition, status.

Unfortunately, while she had plenty of ambition, and even a decent amount of talent, she was never a particularly bright child, not helped by her parents keeping her home to help run the shop rather than pursue any kind of proper schooling, only teaching her basic literacy needed to handle business matters. As such her plans for fame and fortune were all rather straightforward and shallow: use her looks and talent to get noticed and become popular. To that end she jumped around from endeavor to endeavor, joining whatever acting troupe or performance group would take her, often plotting to overshadow and usurp it as the top star, and promptly getting kicked out for being difficult to work with. Eventually she managed to join a band of bards as their hurdy gurdy player (a relatively easy instrument for her to pick up). She actually managed to stay in the group's good graces, and they were starting to gain some serious notoriety, when a string of sex scandals saw their lead player ran out of town by a group of angry noblemen. The backlash also saw the band's name tarnished, and the rest of the members, Saphira included, blacklisted from the industry.

This was the final blow for Saphira, who would spend the next 6 months in a depressive spiral, blowing away what money she had made in the band by drowning her sorrows and frustrations in alcohol. It was when she was stumbling home one night, having gotten herself banned from yet another bar, that she found a mysterious package left on her doorstep. The sender was anonymous, claiming to be a fan from her time back in the band, a secret admirer of sorts. Inside the package was a gift, explaining that he had spent months saving up to buy it for her, even before the band had broken up, and had continued to save up even after they disbanded. Inside was a beautiful blue flower hair ornament, and the reason its supposed high price revealed itself as soon as she slipped it on. All at once she felt her mind expanding, unlocking potential for higher thought and arcane comprehension. She felt a clarity and insight she never had before, a store of knowledge flooding into her brain. And with that knowledge...power, and with that power...an idea...

A few months later Saphira debuted on the Zeppelin Blitz circuit, having rebranded herself as Zephora Ice-Vein, "The Ice Witch", "The Boreal Beauty", "The Frost Fatale". She takes on the persona of a cold, merciless infiltrator: boarding enemy ships, freezing and cutting down everything in her path, leaving a display of frozen bodies in the aftermath of battles to pose for photoshoots with. How much of this is a character and how much is her actual personality slipping through is uncertain, but it makes her a dangerous opponent (and sometimes a dangerous teammate) to say the very least. Of course the real deception isn't in her persona, but in the fact that all of the arcane might she touts is entirely dependent on the ornament she wears, and that without it she would be a powerless fool. She guards her secret as if her life depended on it, and would kill someone over it without a second thought.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Rashol

Oh flip.. less than 24 hours to make a character. I can't even do that in a week.

Sorvoe551

Quote from: Rashol on April 03, 2024, 04:31:51 PMOh flip.. less than 24 hours to make a character. I can't even do that in a week.
Considering I only have two character sheets right now, I’ll likely extend it. I can also help you brainstorm characters through PM or Discord if you’d like