News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Rose Cottage, A Social Supernatural Soap

Started by MrDiamondBackJack, September 05, 2010, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonsen

Arthur took a cup of tea and slowly sipped on it as he examined the others in the room. His artist eye was always looking for new things to paint. Unfortunately, no one in the sitting room attracted his eye in the slightest. Sighing, he wondered if he would ever find some place to inspire him to paint again. The last one to inspire him was his mother and now she was dead.

There I go again, he thought to himself. Thinking about death and the departed. No wonder you're too depressed to paint. Death is a part of life, you fool. Deal with it and move on.
Knowledge is the gathering of useless information - Arthvr Dragonsen
Discord: arthvrdragonsen
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

LadyMarisa

Quote from: MrDiamondBackJack on September 21, 2010, 04:33:51 PM
Ednaa's knocking on the door still hadn't roused the young man, but the young lady was up and around.  "Hello dear! Do come to the parlor for tea.  A few more guests have arrived and I am sure they would welcome your company."

She gave the girl an a speculative look, from head to toe.  "I did so like you other outfit dear, since it worked in with the time period we decorated in.  You look young and healthy, but maybe tomorrow I could persuade you to change back.  I was thinking about asking you to pose for a few pictures for our website!"

The Rose Cottage had been advertised on a few websites before, but her nephew Nathan had created a real website for them and was working on creating a virtual walkthrough.

Ooc: as always posted on a mobile- fixes to come-  I have time to kill in transit and fun to post when bore.

She blinked, quite surprised. "Odd then, you are the first to be pleased with my customary dress." she smiled happily at Edna. "I prefer my olden outfits as well and while I am here in the cottage I shall wear what is a comfort to me." "However, it seems to me that if I wish people in the town to look favorably upon me, it might do me good to present myself in a manner they are more accustomed to." She followed Edna downstairs and seated herself at the table.

She nodded politely to Arthur and the others present, idly wondering why the man had such a sour look on his face. He didn't seem inclined to talk so she engaged the person closest to her in some chatter while she observed the room.

OOC - sorry I was delayed in responding! Welcome Moony! =)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!

MrDiamondBackJack

Roberto smiled at the pretty blond who spoke with him.  "Hi!  I'm Roberto and this is Kathy."  He had a cheerful look about him and seemed to have the ability to keep smiling, even when talking.  His voice held only a trace of an accent, and it sounded more Portuguese than Spanish.

Kathy gave a brief wave, but looked withdrawn, and sent Roberto a resentful look, which seemed to blow right by him.

"Isn't it beautiful here?  I could look out at the lake for hours.  Have you tried sitting on the rocks and letting the waves hit you?"

---------------

On the other side of the room, the giant bald boulder of a man turned to Arthur and stuck out his plate sized paw.  "Howdy there.  I'm Tom.  Pleased to meet you."  His voice was a big as his body and one imagined he might sing bass in a barbershop quartet.

-------------------

Darien sat in the back of the room, trying not to be noticed.  His sister was still buzzing about with her tea pot and probably getting ready to tell her damned ghost story again.  He was a bit worried also.  Charlie had not shown up.  She was a bit odd, to be sure, but reliable.  He never said much to here, but had taken a real shine to the girl and did not like when the towns folk gossiped about her.  They were a bunch of old hens pecking at each other, to be sure.  The girl scared him a little, to be honest, but she was an earnest little thing and had a padded comfortable look to her that even an old man could appreciate.

He stood up and walked to the kitchen, ignoring when his sister caught his sleeve.

As he entered the kitchen, he caught Charlie coming in and obviously in pain, with a big old bandage over her arm.  "You alright there girl?"  This was pretty expressive for Darien, who avoided useless words.  The world was full of them, so he didn't see any point in adding more.

OOC:  Moony, all are welcomed and you are most welcomed.  I like "Charlie".  Good luck on you approval.  As always, mobile posting is my MO and I will fix my dyslexic/mobile driven mistakes later.

"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer.  That was retorical."- Glinda (Wicked)

Moony

" I fell, it doesn't hurt as much as it did a few hours ago. I went to the clinic to get patched up, I should be ok to work... I think." Her voice was soft and soothing to listen to, as she spoke people felt relax as though someone had been gently combing their hair or lightly touching their back. Bringing up her good hand, she gently moved flyway hairs from her face as she looked at the elder man for a moment with her large grey eyes.

Charlie paused looking down at her arm, she pondered it for a moment before looking up at him, " I fell on some glass while I was working on the greenhouse... Someone had thrown rocks at one of the panes," This was true and it was a sad fact, most of the time she had spent earlier today was cleaning the mess. What was the truth, was that she had been pushed onto the glass by an unseen force, it would just be easier to say she fell instead. "I tripped on one of the pots while I was cleaning up, I guess I was in such a hurry I didn't look where I was going." Charlie had a habit of finding many injuries on her body, most unexplainable and others were brushed off bits of bad luck. Luckily, the fits of 'bad luck' were fairly uncommon.

"Are the guests here already? I should go clean myself up and help..." Ah, her priorities were always elsewhere. Charlie was dedicated with her job, for as long as the rose Cottage had been in the sibling's ownership she had slowly formed a working friendship with the duo. She would come by and help with the refurbishment, bring flowers from her garden so they could bloom here, helped with groceries, and many other basic chores. " I brought a nicer set of clothes, I don't think Edna would appreciate my fresh from the garden look." She spoke with a kind smile.

OOC: Oh good, and hello everyone. :D
Technically, you never stop touching yourself.

dragonsen

Arthur grasped the larger man's hand with his own. He wasn't stupid enough to try and crush the huge paw with his smaller hand. Instead he just gave a firm hand shake. Even though his conversation partner probably outweighed him by a three to one ratio, the artist wasn't scared or cowed at all. He knew his own abilities and his own self. Being confident was the best defense against any potential threat. Of course, he didn't see any threats now but it was never safe to assume there weren't any hidden threats.

"I'm pleased to meet you," Arthur told Tom. "I'm stumbled here while trying to find a place to regain my bond with my canvas. Until that happens, I guess I'll be helping out in the yard and such. What brings you to this establishment?"
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

LadyMarisa

She beamed at Roberto. "It is exquisite here and I'm very glad I was drawn to this place. Though I must say I've only recently arrived and have not had the chance to visit with the lake." She nodded her head at Kathy as well but did not press the woman for a greeting. Looking across the table at the other gentleman she asked Robert, "Have you met any of the other guests yet? I have not yet had the chance to make their acquaintance."

For a moment she seemed distracted from the conversation as if something else had suddenly caught her focus. Blinking, she focused on Roberto again quickly so as not to seem rude. "I am Morgayne by the way, tis a pleasure to meet you sir. Forgive my impertinence, are you and Kathy here together?"

When Darien stood abruptly and exited the room, her eyes followed him though her body remained turned towards Roberto. Her hands idly toyed with her jewelry as she got to know Roberto.

OOC - BTW, Morgayne has blonde hair, not red :P Though I didn't describe the rest of her much, she does have green eyes. Unless of course Roberto wasn't talking to Morgayne in which case I have no idea who I should be responding to. :P
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!

MrDiamondBackJack

Quote from: Moony on September 24, 2010, 03:41:11 AM
" I brought a nicer set of clothes, I don't think Edna would appreciate my fresh from the garden look." She spoke with a kind smile.

OOC: Oh good, and hello everyone. :D

Darien nodded.  "Yup, they are all in there.  Sis made me clean up, so you better too.  Don't worry 'bout bein' late.  Seems you had reason.  We like you anyway girl.  Now git goin' before she comes lookin' for both of us."  He watched her go and then went to the refrigerator to grab a cold beer to wash away the taste of tea.

"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer.  That was retorical."- Glinda (Wicked)

MrDiamondBackJack

Quote from: dragonsen on September 25, 2010, 12:01:17 AM
"I'm pleased to meet you," Arthur told Tom. "I'm stumbled here while trying to find a place to regain my bond with my canvas. Until that happens, I guess I'll be helping out in the yard and such. What brings you to this establishment?"

"You a paint slinger, huh?  I'm in the game myself."  He pulled a gloss business card from his pocket.  "I'm a photographer.  Calenders, advertising arts, whatever needs doing.  I'm here working on a new calender and a shot of that lighthouse will be perfect.  This town is interesting anyway, so I will shoot twenty rolls or so.  You never know what might come up."

The big man gave Arthur a curious look.  "So you having some difficulties?  I can't afford them.  It cuts into profits.  I hit a wall and I just keep clicking until it goes away."

MrDiamondBackJack

Roberto looked a bit uncomfortable and shifted in his seat.  "Yes, we did drive up together."

Kathy crossed her arms in front of her chest and glared at him.  "Yes Rob, we did and don't forget who's car we came in."

turning to Morgayne.  "Hi, I am Kathy, his inconvenient girlfriend."  Her voice was dry as unbuttered toast.

Edna was sitting at the front of the group now, and seemed to be gearing up for some sort of speech.

OOC:  QUOTE- BTW, Morgayne has blonde hair, not red :P Though I didn't describe the rest of her much, she does have green eyes. Unless of course Roberto wasn't talking to Morgayne in which case I have no idea who I should be responding to. :P

Oops.... Wishful thinking.  I fixed my mistake.  I am going to let conversation go for today and post the "story" tonight.

Moony

Quote from: MrDiamondBackJack on September 25, 2010, 10:46:37 AM
Darien nodded.  "Yup, they are all in there.  Sis made me clean up, so you better too.  Don't worry 'bout bein' late.  Seems you had reason.  We like you anyway girl.  Now git goin' before she comes lookin' for both of us."  He watched her go and then went to the refrigerator to grab a cold beer to wash away the taste of tea.

Charlie smiled fondly as she waved to him, going up the stairs that lead to the second floor through the kitchen. The short young woman carried her bag with her, making her way towards the communal bathroom and locked the door behind her. She was quick, but careful with her shower to make sure she didn't hurt her scratches on her arm... She paused, staring at her arm from under the shower head. The deep cuts on her had sealed up fair enough that they were, yes, scabbed over and healing faster than she anticipated. Shutting off the water, Charlie quickly stepped out of the shower and dried herself. Pulling out the blow dryer from under the sink she tried her best to dry her long hair, when it was significantly dry she began to dress herself in the cleaner and nicer clothes she had brought with her.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she had folded her clothes and sneakers away inside her book bag. Tucking the old and worn bag away in the utility closet, she gently made her way down the stairs to the main room. Dressed in a swishy, long sleeved jersey dress with keyhole neckline with long braided ties at the front in a light gray color. She had left the ties undone, beneath her dress she wore white tights that reached just below her knees and white simple ballet styled flats. Her long hair was tied into two braids and looked relatively tamed. Her arm freshly bandaged, she reached the final step making her way into the room. She had taken about 15 or so minutes to freshen herself up, her large grey eyes looked on in surprise at the new guests... Particularly the ones she wasn't expecting.

MrDiamondBackJack

Edna turned as Charlie entered the room.  "Charlie!  You had me worried child."  She walked to her and took her hands, but let go when Charlie flinched.  Edna pulled up Charlie's sleeves and winced at the sight of the bandages.  "Again?  You really need to be more careful dear.  I will serve.  Go sit and have a cup of tea.  There are some young men here, so you might try to be pleasant."  The last was spoken is something very like a stage whisper.

"Everyone, this is Charlie!"  She got another cup of tea for Charlie, fixing it like the girl liked it.

ooc:  I will still wait another day for the longer story, until people have a chance for responses.

MrDiamondBackJack

Ooc:  You can play as many as you can handle.  Write in NPCs if you want to, or make up locations.  The Rose Cottage itself is mine though.  I waited on the "ghost story" because I wanted it to fit in naturally.  Maybe that was a mistake.  I am off on Thursday and I will post it, even if I have to God mode a bit.  It would be nice if this did not die.  I like my characters and they symbolize the male and female sides of my personality, as does my avatar of "Jackie" and "Siobhan".

dragonsen

Quote from: MrDiamondBackJack on September 25, 2010, 10:53:41 AM
"You a paint slinger, huh?  I'm in the game myself."  He pulled a gloss business card from his pocket.  "I'm a photographer.  Calenders, advertising arts, whatever needs doing.  I'm here working on a new calender and a shot of that lighthouse will be perfect.  This town is interesting anyway, so I will shoot twenty rolls or so.  You never know what might come up."

The big man gave Arthur a curious look.  "So you having some difficulties?  I can't afford them.  It cuts into profits.  I hit a wall and I just keep clicking until it goes away."

Arthur sighed and rolled his head around on his neck. Photographers had it easy. It didn't take them hours or even days to make one photo. With the simple click of a button, their work was done. He appreciated a proper photo now and then but as a painter, he couldn't just whip them out like a photograph. Belatedly, he saw the serving girl come on and Ms. Edna serving the tea instead. Getting out of his chair, he went to help them out.

"I can be your legs, Ms. Edna," he said softly. "Don't ask me to pour the tea though. I'm likely to foul that up."

As he walked back past his conversation partner, he paused long enough to add a few comments.

"I wish it was that easy with painting. Unfortunately, the time invested in painting is much more than snapping a photo.  I have to be in the right frame of mind to get through the hours needed for a good painting to be unveiled."

MrDiamondBackJack

Quote from: dragonsen on September 28, 2010, 09:48:50 PM
"I wish it was that easy with painting. Unfortunately, the time invested in painting is much more than snapping a photo.  I have to be in the right frame of mind to get through the hours needed for a good painting to be unveiled."

The larger man grunted.  "Don't forget, I sometimes have to wait for hours for conditions to be just right.  Besides that, if I run through twenty rolls of film, I might only find one or two shots I can use.  Still, I see what your saying.  Every art form has its difficulties."

Edna smiled at the young man as he helped her.  "Don't worry!  We'll get you painting in no time!  How do you feel about murals?  I was thinking that it would be wonderful to have a full length mural of the lake and the lighthouse along the interior wall of the kitchen!  How long would it take you to do that?"

---------------

Darien used being in the kitchen to his advantage.  He escaped out the side door and took out his pipe.  Edna did not approve of him smoking at all, but he knew that she would be beyond upset if he ever smoked inside.  He had spent a lot of cold winter evenings out on the side porch, watching the lake effect snow fall.

In the distance, he could see boats moving out on the lake.  It filled him with a longing.  It had been two months since he had been out fishing and the season was well under way.  Maybe she would not noticed if he slipped off early tomorrow morning.

OOC:  O.K., I will post the ghost story on Thursday, come Hell or high water and even if it doesn't fit, or you can all attack me with wet noodles.

Moony

Quote from: MrDiamondBackJack on September 26, 2010, 12:29:15 AM
Edna turned as Charlie entered the room.  "Charlie!  You had me worried child."  She walked to her and took her hands, but let go when Charlie flinched.  Edna pulled up Charlie's sleeves and winced at the sight of the bandages.  "Again?  You really need to be more careful dear.  I will serve.  Go sit and have a cup of tea.  There are some young men here, so you might try to be pleasant."  The last was spoken is something very like a stage whisper.

"Everyone, this is Charlie!"  She got another cup of tea for Charlie, fixing it like the girl liked it.

" No no, Ms. Edna... it's not so bad." Pleaded Charlie, she looked like a pathetic puppy for a moment as she made her way down the stairs and blushed at Edna's late comment. Leaning against the railing with her good arm, she looked out into the room. She did not recognize most of the faces, though most of the voices did jog her memory. She could recall clearly the sounds and vocal patterns of the guest she help take reservations for. Her large doey eyes scanned the room again, taking in the faces. She smiled a warm soft smile, waving lightly towards the guests.

"Hello, I'm Charlie Banes... I work here at the Rose Cottage." He tone, like always was soft and soothing. She had to sort of voice you would want to have lullabies sang to or bed time stories read to you. " It's a pleasure to meet you all face to face... " Her movements were gentle as she crossed the distance between the foot of the stairs into the drawing room.

Quote from: dragonsen on September 28, 2010, 09:48:50 PM
Belatedly, he saw the serving girl come on and Ms. Edna serving the tea instead. Getting out of his chair, he went to help them out.

"I can be your legs, Ms. Edna," he said softly. "Don't ask me to pour the tea though. I'm likely to foul that up."

She looked a bit startled at Arthur and then smiled wearily. " Don't worry, you're a guest here.. Mr...?" It was then she also noticed Morgan, these were more people than she had expected.

dragonsen

Arthur nodded at Charlie and worked around her. Her arm was in pain obviously which was why he was handing out the tea. Shrugging at Tom, he sat back down in his chair.

"Sometimes I need to wait for the right conditions as well or just use my mind and create them myself. Just call me Arthur, Charlie," he said aloud. "I suppose that you and I will see a lot more of each other since I'm the new yard worker. Ms. Edna and I have made arrangements along those lines. How did you hurt your arm, Charlie?"

MrDiamondBackJack

Edna waved her hands.  "Excuse me young folk!  I have a story to tell and then you can go back to your talking."   She had moved to the front of the semi-circle and held a picture in her hands.  It was of a beautiful, but older middle aged woman in old fashioned clothing.  Like many older pictures, she was not smiling.  Her serious pale blue eyes stared at the assembled group.

"This is Miss Katherine Sallade!  She is the original owner of this house and, if you believe rumor, she is your real host!  It is said that she walks the shores of Lake Michigan even now, seeking her lost love, but she has also been seen in this very house.  This parlor was where she would entertain her sowing and reading circles.  It was here that she should have entertained her gentleman callers, but refused.

As the story goes, she was a beautiful young woman who was rejected every suitor who approached her brother for her hand in marriage.  For ten years he tried to make a match for her, but finally, he gave up and set her up in a house of her own.  For twenty five years she lived there virtually alone, with no company but her faithful maid French maid Maida.

It is said that she would refuse to eat meat of any kind, but that her maid would buy her pigs blood from the butchers.  No one knows what she did with this blood.  It was also said that she often was seen wearing mens clothing or even spotted nude, in the upper windows of the house.

As the story goes, Katherine was a bit of a night owl and liked to wander the shores of the lake in the wee hours of the morning.  For many years, she was rarely seen by the light of day.  Some fishermen and towns folk reported that she would sometimes met a man during her walks. He always seemed to appear along the lake, sitting on the rocks.  Whenever they would approach Katherine and her mysterious man, he would seem to vanish, as if he had slipped off into the lake.  Her brother tried to find the truth of the rumors and even considered institutionalizing her, but loved her to much to do so.

When she was in her early fifties, she climbed to the top of the lighthouse and leaped to her death.  She was crushed on the rocks below and her body was washed out into the lake.  Some say she did this because her maid betrayed her and got married and moved away.  Others said that it had something to do with the mysterious man from the sea.  No one is sure and she did not leave a note behind her, though her cry still echoes over the rocky coast late at night.

So tonight, as you sleep snug in your beds, listen for any creaks and voices!  Katherine herself may visit you!

OOC:  Sorry to step on your lines, but I promised that I would post this, and I am afraid of wet noodles.

Moony

Quote from: dragonsen on September 30, 2010, 09:41:32 AM
Arthur nodded at Charlie and worked around her. Her arm was in pain obviously which was why he was handing out the tea. Shrugging at Tom, he sat back down in his chair.

"Sometimes I need to wait for the right conditions as well or just use my mind and create them myself. Just call me Arthur, Charlie," he said aloud. "I suppose that you and I will see a lot more of each other since I'm the new yard worker. Ms. Edna and I have made arrangements along those lines. How did you hurt your arm, Charlie?"

"A new yard worker?" A warm smile crept lightly across her pretty face, she felt a small wave of relief that he was working her and not a guest. It would be embarrassing that a guest would be handing out tea, with her good arm she helped making sure everyone had what they needed despite her injury. " I fell on some glass this morning, someone threw a rock at my green house... Smashed at least four panes." She didn't looked bothered by it, it was as though she had grown accustomed to the abuse.

Quote from: MrDiamondBackJack on September 30, 2010, 03:01:19 PM
Edna waved her hands.  "Excuse me young folk!  I have a story to tell and then you can go back to your talking."   She had moved to the front of the semi-circle and held a picture in her hands.  It was of a beautiful, but older middle aged woman in old fashioned clothing.  Like many older pictures, she was not smiling.  Her serious pale blue eyes stared at the assembled group.

"This is Miss Katherine Sallade! ...

...So tonight, as you sleep snug in your beds, listen for any creaks and voices!  Katherine herself may visit you!

Oh, Charlie hoped not... that Katherine woman was so surly. Quiet and always staring at her, they never spoke with one another. The times she would approach the girl, she wouldn't necessarily try to possess her, she just looked like the girl was trespassing. It took the months of working in the cottage to prove that she wasn't something foul. Afterwards, the dead woman usually left her be.

MrDiamondBackJack

OOC:  Should we end the "tea time" and let you two remaining folk out and about?

dragonsen

Arthur finished helping with the tea. Instead of just putting the tray down with the empty cups, he carried them into what he assumed was the kitchen. It was the door that Edna had come from with the tea so it was a safe guess. Charlie's story bothered him but he was new here and didn't want to cause any problems. His assistance didn't extend to washing the dishes though. That task was one he dreaded doing and did his best to put it off as often as he could. The story of Katherine Sallade was also intriguing. Mysteries seemed to abound in this house.

Belatedly, he realized that he didn't answer Charlie. Taking a seat in the kitchen, he waited for her to return so he could answer her questions. Looking around, he started to picture different painting in his mind of the kitchen but none really sparked his interest yet.

MrDiamondBackJack

Edna finally cleared all of their guests out of the parlor and started to help Charlie clear up the mess.  She normally would let the girl do it herself, and go lay down for a while, or take a walk along the beach.  Still, the girl was still injured.  She bustled around, stacking things and then took them into the kitchen, leaving Charlie to wipe down the serving table.

In the kitchen she found Arthur sitting, and she could guess who he was waiting for.  Hell, she was only fifty three herself, and she was kind of sweet on Mike Kirk, who ran the grocers.  She supposed that she could help him along a bit, seeing as he seemed a bit reserved.  She dumped the dishes in the sink, without bothering to prepare them in any way for washing.

She turned to Arthur, her eyes twinkling.  "Well young man, you have had time to rest up and eat.  I think it is about time I put you to work!  There is a lot of yard work that needs doing first, but my maid is injured.  Why don't you help her with these dishes, since she has a bandage right now.  When you are finished, you can find me in the back yard.  I will be working on my flower beds and would welcome the help.

Moony

Charlie hand finished her tea, watching as Edna and Arthur cleared up the area. Standing she smiled as with grace made her way into the kitchen, picked up a dish cloth and turned on her heel. Her dress swirled with her motion as she made her way out of the kitchen and went back into the sitting room. Diligently she wiped the serving tables, clearing them off of anything that may have been left behind. Using the slightly damp end of the cloth to pick up small spills and the dry half to polish the table. Halfway back towards the kitchen, she paused flexing her sore hand. The pain had lessened, but still ached just enough to bother her.

In a much slower pace she walked back to the kitchen, pushing the door open with her better hand. Her walk had a slight sway at the hips, her hair moving in motion with her. Pacing herself as she stopped at the counter, she smiled at Arthur and at Edna just catching the tail end of the older woman's words about how she was going to be working in the garden.

Her grey eyes casted a look towards Arthur, she seemed curious about him. Leaning on the island counter in the middle of the kitchen, she reached over to pull her large basket closer. "I brought the preserves and herbs you asked for." She pronounced herb like they would in UK, emphasis on the h, slowly she looked towards Edna for a moment. Waiting for her to answer, she would nod and then begin to pull out the various jars filled with different fruits and flavors. Her attention moved back towards Arthur, smiling sweetly at him. " So what brings you to our small town?" She figured he was told to stay behind to help her in the kitchen. " I've lived here all my life, so I don't have any other reason." It was nice to meet someone new, especially one that didn't think she was crazy.

OOC: I'm fine with tea time ending.

MrDiamondBackJack

Edna watch the young people for a moment, and then slipped out the kitchen door.  The late afternoon sun was still high in the sky and would be for awhile longer.  She stepped off of the back porch and into the soft green grass of her back garden.  Her eyes crinkled in pleasure to see the well manicure work she had done.

A great variety of flowers grew in neat little square beds, with a stone walkway between them.  Little stone gnomes and angel peeked out from behind some of the plants.  At times, she almost believed that they might be real.  If they were, she might not be so lonely.

She glided down the stone paths, laid by her loving brother.  Some of the stones were painted, or had engravings with hopeful sayings.  In the center of her garden was her faded wooden bench and her birth bath.  She considered doing so work, like she should, but in the end sat on the bench quietly, until the birds returned to visit the marble bath.  It had been an expensive purchase, but it was her pride and joy.  What was the use of such a nice garden if she did not take the time to enjoy it anyway?  The work would still be there another day.

dragonsen

With a nod, he accepted the orders from Edna and waited for Carrie to come into the kitchen. Reluctantly Arthur filled the sink with warm water and dish soap. He waited for all the dishes to be brought in before plunging his hands into the soapy water. Carrie's question made him think about his situation before he answered her.

"I'm just wandering around until I can find something good to paint. Guess my muse doesn't like it when I think about my sister's death," he said slowly as he washed the dishes. "She always egged me on to paint something for her or to finish something I started. With her gone, painting isn't as fun anymore. Only problem is I don't have any other skills. Do you get teased or bullied a lot, Carrie?"

Moony

( Her name's Charlie. Just pointing that out, sweetie. )

She paused and listened to Arthur speak, her large silvery eyes watching him intently. A moment after he asked her his own question she stayed silent, the only sounds in the kitchen were the washing of the ceramic plates. " Yes. " She said flatly, the full figured woman took the rest of the contents out of the basket slowly. " I've always been teased, since I was a child." She added after another moment of silence, pausing to look at him. " You know, she still loves you alot. Your sister is sad you stopped painting..." She stopped, her words fading as she spoke. " I mean, she might be, where ever she is... in the hereafter. If she wanted you to paint so much, you must be very talented. Can I see your hands?" Charlie stared at him, her hands resting on the counter top.