Adrift in Space (Closed to New Players)

Started by kckolbe, October 16, 2013, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

hmmm i think we know how to spot cyclons...the only blondes on BSG was cyclons   hmmmmmmm!!!

Phaia

RubySlippers

Quote from: Phaia on October 16, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
hmmm i think we know how to spot cyclons...the only blondes on BSG was cyclons   hmmmmmmm!!!

Phaia

Starbuck was blond.

Phaia

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 16, 2013, 10:36:01 PM
Never heard of a Renaissance Woman, she doesn't have an academic specialty, did Benjamin Franklin have one? A scientist is an educated person and a educated person a scientist if she can't recite poetry, work with languages, discuss philosophy and the like she has no right being a scientist. But her degree was in Interdisciplinary Stellar Science & Technology (ISS&T) in short in her case long term space habitation and survival in space with a general approach.

plus she haS A husband, 2 wives, cooks a mean omelet and looks great in a  little black dress!!

phaia

Caela

Quote from: Phaia on October 16, 2013, 10:37:21 PM

Phaia

Caprica was a blonde, but Athena/Boomer was a brunette.

Phaia

okayyy

not all cyclons were blonde but all the blondes were NOT normal either cyclon or an angel/ undead..cyclon play toy [starbuck]

phaia

Silver

Quote from: Phaia on October 16, 2013, 11:06:10 PM
okayyy

not all cyclons were blonde but all the blondes were NOT normal either cyclon or an angel/ undead..cyclon play toy [starbuck]

phaia

*smirks and holds back a giggle*
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Caela

Quote from: Silver on October 16, 2013, 11:13:57 PM
*smirks and holds back a giggle*

Why holding back the giggle? It made me laugh outright. :)

Orange Marmalade

Still following this and interested.

Where's all the boys at?! Yeesh :D

Caela

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on October 17, 2013, 12:00:11 AM
Still following this and interested.

Make us one and we'll tell you!

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Caela on October 17, 2013, 12:05:12 AM
Make us one and we'll tell you!

Haha I've been playing around with one. But sadly that wouldn't help the women's romantic interests :)

Caela

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on October 17, 2013, 12:08:03 AM
Haha I've been playing around with one. But sadly that wouldn't help the women's romantic interests :)

Hey now, it's not all about sex! Women needs friends too!

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Caela on October 17, 2013, 12:09:59 AM
Hey now, it's not all about sex! Women needs friends too!

Oh I definitely agree there :) And I'm still interested!

kckolbe

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on October 17, 2013, 12:00:11 AM

I wish I knew.  I simply can not handle the present "work load."  Not even close, really.  Glad you are still on board, though.  I currently have the winning bid for next week's advertisements, so we might get more men soon.  Here's hoping.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kythia

Agility 2
Athletics 2
Awareness 2
Cunning 2
Deception 2
Endurance 2
Fighting 3
Knowledge 2
Markswomanship 3
Mechanics 2
Medical 2
Persuasion 3
Reflexes 2
Status 4
-Politics 2
Stealth 2
Survival 2
Thievery 2
Warfare 4
-Command 2
-Strategy 1
Will 4
- Coordinate 1

So this is the basic 15 points, 6 points build.  There's stuff I want to beef up.  I was looking at late forties early fifties - old enough to have attained senior rank (I think I will end up going for Commander of BSF unless that's gonna cause arguments.)

Phaia - more than happy to have a niece/daughter if you want to slot yourself in there.

mia h

Name : Layla Milton
Home World : Caprica
Current Job : Deputy Assistant Under Secretary of Commerce for Economic Affairs

Bio :
Layla's family ran a well established publishing business based in Pilgrim Bay on Caprica but as Layla's parents were also significant members of the Federalist Party both business and politics were constant influences in Layla's life and that of her brother. While Layla's brother Richard 'rebelled' against the family by joining the military as soon as he was able, Layla embraced the twin family legacies of business and politics by being accepted into the Caprica City School of Economics where she graduated at the top of her class. From there Layla worked for several economic think-tanks with loose affiliations to the Federalist Party. When Richard Adar gained the party nomination for President, Layla joined the campaign in Caprica City and managed to work her way onto the Caprica campaign staff. With the combination of her work on the campaign and her families political connections, Layla was able to get a very junior position in the Adar administration but that didn't last long as she was rapidly promoted up the ranks inside the Department of Commerce, where there were some rumors floating around that Layla's promotions were a result of her sleeping her way to the top. But those that actual worked with her knew that she earned the promotions on merit, and while Layla was never particularly vindictive to those that spread the rumors, as her authority increased certain people were "persuaded" to look for other jobs.

Agility - 2
Athletics - 2
Awareness - 3
   Empathy - 1
Cunning - 4
   Administration - 1
Deception - 3
   Bluff - 1
Endurance - 2
Fighting - 2
Knowledge - 4
   Academic Specialty: Economics 1
Marksmanship - 2
Mechanics - 2
Medical - 2
Persuasion - 4
   Convince - 1
Status - 3
   Politics - 2
   Bureaucracy -1
Stealth - 2
Survival - 2
Thievery - 2
Warfare - 2
Will - 4

Merits
Charismatic : Charm
Keen Senses

Flaws
Mechanics -1D
Medical  -1D

DP  : 1
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Scribbles

I picked the stats mostly for fun and to fit the plan behind my character, I just thought I'd mention it since I know some of the stats I've chosen are redundant and maybe even useless. Oh and I've PM'ed the rough idea behind the character to you, kckolbe.

Personal Details –
Name: Lasara D'Aramitz
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 131lbs
Homeworld: Tauron

Rank and Role -
Callsign: Whisky
Main Role: Support Pilot (Transports, Scouts, Refuelling, Other)
Secondary Role: Reserve Pilot, Capital Pilot

Health Report –
Despite a few quirks, Lasara has been given a clean bill of health. The ensign can finally be considered as one of (relatively) sound mind and body.

It has been an entire year since she left the marines, her career ending thanks to the incident on the [REDACTED], a [REDACTED] ship. The record states that her unit was deployed to [REDACTED] while the [REDACTED], a task which the marines apparently found themselves woefully unprepared for. The initial phase is shown to have passed without a hitch but, after boarding the vessel, the unit quickly found themselves surrounded and outnumbered by a [REDACTED] of [REDACTED]. The marines were soon in unknown territory, [REDACTED], and facing an unfamiliar enemy, [REDACTED], forcing them to react as any might… [REDACTED]. The ensuing result was a [REDACTED].

Lasara essentially broke down after the event, as any sane person would, only to find her feet again two months later. With the marines behind her, she looked to the fleet, distracting herself from the past by training and prepping for the future. There are some worries with how much she pushes herself, both physically and in the pilot seat, but she has at least regained some purpose. The only other concern is with her overall behaviour.

In the past Lasara was considered to enjoy the company of others and quickly associated with most she met. She was also mischievous and competitive, taking a page from her parents’ book with a few instances of misconduct in the name of fun. Now, her personality is far more muted. She still has brief moments where she’ll revert to her old self but these are rare. She’s generally friendly and attentive, if not a little withdrawn or stern at times. She also hasn’t lost her taste for whisky, chocolate or cheesy horror flicks.

History –
Lasara was born to Lieutenants Celeste and Duncan D’Aramitz, two mediocre pilots with a history of negligence and misconduct; a seemingly common trend in the D’Aramitz family with several discharged uncles, aunts, grandparents and so forth. It was actually Lasara’s intention to break this streak of dishonour by choosing not to join the fleet, like so many of her ancestors, and instead sign up with the colonial marines.

Unfortunately, Lasara picked to become a jarhead at the worst of times as the system was seeing a fair bit of activity. After a somewhat rushed boot-camp, the wide-eyed marine was assigned to an appallingly green unit and dispatched to several hot zones over the next year. To make matters worse, she apparently brought a little of the family curse with her in the form of a few acts of misconduct. These minor nuisances, such as racing military vehicles or smuggling contraband into the camps, could never be linked to her but the officers in charge normally knew who the culprit was.

Despite the fun she might have had, Lasara also went through some fairly tough times as a marine. These include a single instance of torture, resulting in the scar on her face, as well as some near death moments. All of this couldn’t compare however to her final mission as a marine, a task which she went in fine and came out utterly broken. It took an entire year of therapy and training before she applied for assignment to a fleet, as a pilot.

For now, Lasara seems content with her place in the fleet with her eye on earning a permanent position as a Capital Ship pilot. Her only gripe is that she’s not a fan of the callsign her fellow pilots have assigned her, “Whisky”, named after her favourite drink and based on the fact that she shoots like a drunkard.

Relatives and Relations –
Parents: Celeste and Duncan D’Aramitz
Relations: None

Stats –
Agility: 4 (+4)
Athletics: 4 (+4)
Awareness: 4 (+4)
Cunning:  2
Deception:  2
Endurance:  2
Fighting:  3 (+1)
*Unarmed: 1
Knowledge:  2
*Astronavigation: 2
Marksmanship:  3 (+1)
Mechanics:  2
Medical:  2
Persuasion:  2
Reflexes:  3 (+1)
*Capital Ship Piloting: 3
Stealth:  2
Survival:  2
Thievery:  2
Warfare:  2
Will:  2

Merits:
Unarmed Combat I:
There's little that Lasara enjoys more than a few good sparring sessions
(Treat your unarmed attacks as if they have the Fast weapon trait.  Also Unarmed attacks to Athletics-2 damage.)

Expertise*: Unarmed
Lasara has always been a natural athlete, even before she joined the marines. During school, she’d often skip class to go play football, pyramids or basketball with a few other delinquents but her favourite past time was kickboxing
(Gain +1D with one Specialty)

Expertise*: Capital Ship Piloting
Despite joining the marines, it has always been a dream for Lasara to fly a Capital Ship

Expertise*: Astronavigation
Lasara has always had her eyes to the stars, especially after hearing the stories from her parents

Fly by the Seat of the Pants***:
Lasara was always good at evading danger by the skin of her teeth on the ground, it only makes that she does the same in space.
(Add Awareness rank to all Pilot tests)

Flaws:
Dark Secret:
What happened in the marines, stays in the marines!
(Engage in Social Combat when confronted, if you lose exchange this drawback for Outcast)

Marked:
The scar on Lasara’s face acts as an eternal reminder to avoid capture, at all costs...
(When testing persuasion reroll all sixes and take the second roll)

Naïve:
Lasara doesn’t really have the patience for sifting through lies and so when someone speaks, she generally accepts it as truth until proven otherwise.
(You take a -3 to intrigue defence against deception)

Generic Flaw*: Deception
Just like she can't spot a liar, Lasara finds it equally difficult to lie herself
(Pick one Ability and have a -1D penalty when testing that Ability)

Destiny Points – One
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

RedEve

I see that the medical type has more or less already been requested. :)

What is left in the non-combat military personnel (I'm thinking scientists...)?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

arkhos

Name: Daniel Barlow
Vitals: 6'2", 225 lb, Black Hair, Green Eyes, Athletic
Position: XO/2nd In Command
Homeworld: Virgon

Stats:

Agility – 2
Athletics – 3
Awareness – 3
  Notice
Cunning – 3
Deception – 2
Endurance – 3
Fighting – 4
  Unarmed
Knowledge – 3
Marksmanship – 3
  Starfighter
Mechanics – 2
Medical – 2
Persuasion – 3
Reflexes – 3
  Starfighter Piloting/Viper
Status – 3
Stealth – 2
Survival – 2
Thievery – 2
Warfare – 4
  Command
  Strategy
  Tactics
Will – 3
  Discipline

Flaw: Deception. Daniel was raised by a strict military mother and father. He was taught not to lie, and any such effort to do so as a child resulted in the harshest punishments. As he grew up, this stuck with him, and though he is not compelled to tell the truth at all times, he can't act, he is a -terrible- liar, can't bluff his way out of a wet-paper bag while playing Triad, and he has virtually no skill with disguises. Even when bending the truth or bluffing as part of his job would come in handy, he finds it incredibly difficult to do.

(more info on the BSG canon-card game 'Triad' can be found here: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Triad_%28RDM%29)

Merit: Dutiful. By the same token, a sense of 'duty' has been instilled in Daniel since he can remember. Whatever cause or entity he fights for, he does so with deep conviction.

DP: 1
-----------------
Daniel is a native of Virgon, born into a military family, both of his parents having been military before his birth, and indeed, that's how they originally met. Based near the city of Hadrian, Daniel was raised with a heavy sense of patriotism and pride for his colony, and the moment he was eligible to enter military service, he did so with his parents standing right behind him.

Daniel quickly rose through the ranks. The military life came naturally to him, having been exposed to it since birth. He was accepted for Officer training on his first attempt, and successfully completed all physical requirements in order to become a starfighter pilot, a very coveted position in the military.

Daniel established himself as a very capable, above-average pilot. He also established himself as someone who walked a -very- thin line with regulations. Where some canon character like Starbuck might outright flaunt the rules and regulations, Daniel gently nudges against them -just- to the point of not breaking them, avoiding any possible shame associated with reprimands. Always in the back of his mind, he knew if he went too far, his parents would get wind of it and that would never go over well. Regardless of rules and regulations, though, Daniel always put the lives of his wingman, fellow pilots, and crew above his own.

Most notably during his time as a Viper pilot, Daniel was incredibly loyal to his wingman, Charles 'Charlie' Butters, another naive of Virgon. Charlie was always the 'wild one', and Dan had always been the one to guide Charlie back to the barracks after a night on the town. It is rumored that the fiery end to their friendship came when Daniel announced to Charlie that he had received and accepted an offer to move up the chain of command, leaving piloting behind for the time being. Charlie, in a moment of feeling betrayed, countered by informing Daniel that Charlie had been sleeping with Dan's girlfriend of two years. The fist-fight was brutal, and in the end, neither man pressed charges, but neither have they spoken to each other since. Dan still bears a small scar just a the base of his jawline on his neck from where Charlie had struck him with a broken bottle. But the mental scars of betrayal, though not visible, were every bit as deep.

Daniel focused his energies on his career, and keeping himself fit. He became skilled at hand-to-hand combat, and became somewhat of an exercise freak. Over the years, as the demands of his new positions took up more of his time, he's scaled back a bit, but he's aged well.

Ten years passed in the blink of an eye.

Daniel was occasionally able to grab some seat-time with a viper, in order to keep up his flight eligibility as a reserve pilot. He didn't get to fly much, and when he did, it was incredibly nostalgic for him. But he had moved on with his life, and his limited flights were minor training ones in nature, or routine patrols. Daniel had pushed his career up the command ladder with determined efficiency.

Daniel sees no limit to his advancement. Observant and aware, he's also keen on the welfare of his people, regardless of rank. He isn't a back-stabber, nor does he target a specific person's position for 'take over' or advancement. He is a team-player first and foremost, and if a position opens up into which he can advance, he will take steps to do so.
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Kythia

Quote from: RedEve on October 17, 2013, 06:26:14 AM

Obviously I'm not running the game, but what about some sort of weapons designer?  Military R&D type of thing.  Or a Psychologist?

mia h

No reason why there couldn't be more than one medical type. I imagine that ever character is going to have two or three 'jobs' so the Commander of a Battlestar is effectively the Head of Joint Chiefs of Staff and is responsible for exploration and scouting for fleet resources and any number of other jobs but on the other hand there is no reason why those jobs couldn't be done by different people. So two doctors one who looks after the military, the other looks after public health, then there's teaching enough people to be medics,nurses and doctors; and a hundred other things.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

RedEve

I think - hope - I got the stats right for my system CS thingy. :)

Name:
Dr. Bethina Johansen
Home World : Caprica
Current Job : Military attaché to the Secretary of Health

Agility: 2
Athletics: 2
Awareness: 2
Cunning: 4
  *Administration: 1
Deception: 2
  *Cheat: 1
Endurance: 3
Fighting: 2
Knowledge: 3
Marksmanship: 3
*Handgun: 1
Mechanics: 2
Medical: 5
  *Diagnosis: 2
Persuasion: 3
*Charm: 1
  *Bureaucracy: 1
Stealth: 2
Survival: 3
Thievery: 2
Warfare: 2
Will: 3
*Coordinate: 1

Merits: Charismatic
Flaws: Disturbing Habit
DP: 1

Chaeronea

I see that people are mainly posting stat builds rather than detailed backgrounds?  Main difficulty I have with that is, not being familiar with the system I don't know what attribute levels equate to - is a 3 in an attribute average or really good, for example? Anyway, here goes..

Name: Sam Rutherford
Height: 177 cm
Weight: 70 kg
Hair: grey
Eyes: ice blue
Rank: Lieutenant,Colonial Fleet (retired); Major, Tauron Colonial Defence Force (retired), Major, Tauron Colonial Defence Force Reserves (retired)

Main Role: Viper pilot, Commander Civilian Defence Forces
Homeworld: Tauron
Background Summary: Born on the colony of Tauron, Sam Rutherford joined the Colonial Navy to fight in the First Cylon War at the age of fifteen with the aid of a sympathetic recruiting officer who helped him lie about his age (unlike the other Colonies, on Tauron a male is considered adult at thirteen)*. He underwent training as a Viper pilot and promptly earned the callsign Punchout twice-over on his first solo flight - once when he was forced to eject when two of the fighter's engines flamed out, and once when he gave the technician responsible for the fighter's shoddy maintenance a knuckle sandwich. After completing his training he flew for the final three years of the Cylon War. He mustered out of the Colonial Navy a year after the Armistice as part of the post-war Reduction In Force, before taking up a commission in the Tauron Colonial Defence Force.

Sam spent the next decade as a Viper pilot and instructor before mustering out to start a family and take up a job as a spaceliner pilot. He retained a reserve commission in his homeworld's defence forces and still flew Vipers on a regular though infrequent basis. As XO of his squadron in the Reserves his duties focused more on administration and instruction than actual flying, but he still managed to keep his hand in.

On the fortieth anniversary of the signing of the Armistice Sam Rutherford was flying a spaceliner loaded with veterans of the First Cylon War and members of their families, unaware that another war with the Cylons was about to start. While they were conducting a commemorative ceremony in deep space the Cylons jumped in and began their assault on the Colonies. With the aid of a great deal of luck and skill Sam was able to bring his ship and its passengers to rendezvous with the rag-tag survivors who would form the refugee fleet.

* Canon according to http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Tauron_(RDM)

Flaws

Addiction, minor (smoking): Sam finds it easier to relax after a rough day with a good smoke. His vice of choice, which he was introduced to by a war buddy during the First Cylon War, is Aerolon cigars - 'you set fire to one, it sets fire to your lungs' - but is willing to make do with cigars from other colonies, or even cigarettes (even though he considers them watered-down and puny).

Insubordinate: Sam is perfectly willing to listen to the advice of others, especially in areas of expertise that he knows little about. He is willing to admit that he can be wrong, and he can even admit it publicly. However anyone who attempts to use superior rank to force Sam Rutherford to do something against his will is in for a shock - he has no problem with telling SOSHUAS (Superior Officers Suffering Head Up Ass Syndrome) exactly what he thinks of them and how wrong they are.

Sickly: While the side effects of his smoking hasn't progressed to the point of lung cancer, Sam's frequent smoking has definitely taken its toll on his health.

25 attribute points, 16 specialisations, 1 DP, 3 flaws (listed above)

Agility: 3

Athletics: 3

Awareness: 3
* Notice

Cunning: 3
* Administration

Deception: 2

Endurance: 3

Fighting: 3
* Unarmed
* Improvised Melee Weapons

Knowledge: 3
* Astronavigation

Marksmanship: 4
* Starfighter

Mechanics: 3
* Jury Rig
* Repair

Medical: 2

Persuasion: 3
* Inspire

Reflexes: 4
* Capital Ship Piloting
* Starfighter Piloting

* Bureaucracy

Stealth: 2

Survival: 2

Thievery: 2

Warfare: 3
* Command
* Tactics

Will: 3
* Coordinate
* Discipline

kckolbe

Sorry, long ass day at work and have a volunteer task in a bit.  Lovin all the activity.  I will agree with Charonea that it would be nice to see some concept ideas along with the character sheet.

Mia h is right that there can be more than one doctor.  There is plenty of room in that field should you be interested.  If not, there are roles available as a mantainer, a shuttle pilot, the captain of a support ship or civilian ship, scientist, political types...all sorts of paths for you to choose from.  I personally thought psychologist was a good idea.  Also, regarding your current CS, you have a few points left, but nothing wrong with assigning them later.

Chaeronea-Bear in mind that there is still a colonial defense force, and that there will be significant pressure from the civilian side to not "reactivate."  You may want to cut your bio a little short and give him the choice of staying civilian or accepting a role in the fleet, could be good times RPin it out.  Also, minor note, the civilian defense force flies the old Scorpions as opposed to Vipers.  I'm lovin just about everything about the character, though.

One observation thus far is that status for most characters seems lower than they will likely end up being (I'll post some guidelines later), but most of these characters will also get more points due to age, so that should even out nicely.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RedEve

How many points do I have left? I thought I spent the 18 and 6.

Kythia

Off to a gig now but will get some details up tomorrow.