Raves as a breeding ground for drugs!

Started by backbreaker86, September 24, 2012, 12:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backbreaker86

I had to let some steam go when i heard about the RAVE act which sort of attacks the EDM scene and i for one am sick of it. Yes drugs are at these events the most popular are of course ecstasy and special-k but this is not a breeding ground for young children to get these drugs easily. For one it usually is an eighteen and older event so children stay home! I am only arguing this is because EDC Orlando is right around the corner and they like last year will not allow LED lights or gloves because of the association it brings. It seems just like with the hippie generation we too are getting the backlash of modern society to either play by their rules or are label unfit. Anyway if your interested in EDM please by all means voice your opinions here, i would love to hear what other ravers and the candy generation have to say about the music the shows drugs and of course the love we all share at these events!! PLUR!

Trieste

The RAVE act is over 10 years old, and appears not to have explicitly passed. The legislation passed in its place targets GHB and recommends stiffer fines on those who store and manufacture any drug, not just MDMA.

According to an exhaustive five-minute skimming of Wikipedia's listed sources, the ban on things like glowsticks and candy as drug paraphernalia has not been held up in court because it is a violation of First Amendment rights.

Every single raver I've known through high school and college has considered MDMA as an integral part of the scene, so I don't think it's all that shocking when a cultural phenomenon known for its drug use is then targeted by the so-called war on drugs. It's kind of a no-brainer. 

backbreaker86

It might be the case but we still have a whole lot of fun out there! Its just another way to put us in a box which did not fit. I can see now though that they are making it mainstream now so we have to sort of conform but the PLUR and scene will never die because of legislation such as the RAVE act. Of course EDM came out of rolls like hippie box came out of LSD but that's not the point. For love of the scene if you take drugs or not its to enjoy the crowd and music. That battle only shows that they are afraid when young people come together!! RAVE on!! Can not wait for EDC Orlando!

Trieste

I'm sorry, I thought you posted in the debate board because you wanted intelligent conversation. I didn't realize it was actually a post about how THE MAN is keeping you DOWN by enforcing those pesky laws.

Please, don't let me stop you with pesky facts and logic. :)

Silverfyre

I think you are missing a bit of the point that Trieste is putting forth.  The law is ten years old and it is put towards illegal drug usage, not as a war on your lifestyle.  Have you seen the effects of ecstasy and what kind of damage it can do to a person's brain, let alone their lives?  I am all for having a good time but I'd rather my brain be intact.  The whole idea that people are passing laws to prevent people from frying their brains is nothing but a war on someone's scene is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. 

Go out there and have fun, enjoy your music and your glow-sticks but don't get sucked down into something that is not only breaking the law but destroying your body as well. 

backbreaker86

Quote from: Silverfyre on September 24, 2012, 12:45:42 PM
I think you are missing a bit of the point that Trieste is putting forth.  The law is ten years old and it is put towards illegal drug usage, not as a war on your lifestyle.  Have you seen the effects of ecstasy and what kind of damage it can do to a person's brain, let alone their lives?  I am all for having a good time but I'd rather my brain be intact.  The whole idea that people are passing laws to prevent people from frying their brains is nothing but a war on someone's scene is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. 

Go out there and have fun, enjoy your music and your glow-sticks but don't get sucked down into something that is not only breaking the law but destroying your body as well.
That is what i am getting at. These effects you speak of are propaganda and Last year there was a study that shows that patients who have taken MDMA has slowed down Alzheimer disease. Great stuff. In fact when it first was used to treat couples in therapy. The frying of your brain is laughable as much as it was when reefer madness put out that smoking pot will TURN you into a killing machine! Please i have already read all studies on MDMA which i did a paper on for the end of college. In fact i am hoping for the study to treat people with Mental disorders such as retardation depression and Autism(which my nephew has) now recent studies show that it helps them more with social skills. Yes drugs are bad, yes if you take to much and abuse it you will feel the toll it takes on you but again this is the freedom to choose what you want to do with your life and your body. Rave on. This is not a contest to see who has the bigger stick. If your views on drug taking are different fine by all means keep the faith but i again reply that it is choice and you should respect that as much as i respect someone who eats fast food everyday of their life or smokes or drinks. Amen to that brother! Wondering what everyone thinks about this dub-step era we are in now? I grew into the scene with trance music...still love it but i feel that my artist of yesteryear are branching off into this dub-step.

Silverfyre

So, science and laboratory studies on the effects of MDMA are nothing more than propaganda?  What a quaint way of thinking.  You say you've done quite a bit of research but I question the validity of your sources if you think that ecstasy has no long-term consequences.  Brush up a bit on some unbiased sources that actually cite material and scientific studies.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/mdma-ecstasy

I personally could care less what someone does on their own time.  If you want to rave and take enough drugs to reach Nirvana, then by all means. I'm not downplaying your choice there.  What I will downplay is your claim that such scientific evidence is nothing more than propaganda.  Such ways of viewing the world is not only foolish but quite dangerous.

backbreaker86

Pleas stop there, lol. I have read this already. Did you also know that 89% of new users research enough to make an intelligent decision on trying it or not. That there is made from the same group who i mentioned banned marijuana on grounds that it will make you crazy! come on, lol. Read studies that are going on with humans from other parts of the world. You are the one you is narrow minded.

backbreaker86

Anyway let the hate leave the thread and the rave culture get a go at the discussion. On to the nex...on on to the next one! Drop a funky beat! Sorry listening to Fatboy Slim set from Ultra miami 2012. Greatest show out of the whole group.

Silverfyre

Of course I am.  I'm part of the system and a servant of the MAN.  Making educated decisions and researching is nothing more than propaganda and a method of controlling the populace.

Oh well, such much for an intelligent discussion.  I should have suspected as much.

Have fun with your life then and enjoy such an uniformed method of thinking.  I'm sure it will get you quite far in life.

Pumpkin Seeds

I am not getting the impression that a debate or discussion was the intention of the original poster.  While still unapproved there are other areas I believe more favorable to the amicable type discussion you seem to desire.  I would suggest trying your inquiry in those areas rather than here.

backbreaker86

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 24, 2012, 01:38:51 PM
I am not getting the impression that a debate or discussion was the intention of the original poster.  While still unapproved there are other areas I believe more favorable to the amicable type discussion you seem to desire.  I would suggest trying your inquiry in those areas rather than here.
Could you point in the right direction that would be better? Don't need the MANS lackey or whatever he's calling himself on my back.

backbreaker86

Quote from: Silverfyre on September 24, 2012, 01:29:58 PM
Of course I am.  I'm part of the system and a servant of the MAN.  Making educated decisions and researching is nothing more than propaganda and a method of controlling the populace.

Oh well, such much for an intelligent discussion.  I should have suspected as much.

Have fun with your life then and enjoy such an uniformed method of thinking.  I'm sure it will get you quite far in life.
Read some more before opening your mouth and spilling that out please. Do you agree that it is uneducated to only take one source? Of course you do! So please read more before you get into a discussion.

Avis habilis

Enough squabbling. Keep this discussion polite or move on.

backbreaker86

Will do! Was just defending. Anyway what do you think about the EDM scene?!

Avis habilis

backbreaker86

Of course. This wasn't the point of opening this thread in the first place.

Beguile's Mistress

Going by the title of the thread I'd say that I would agree that raves are a hotbed of drug activity and underage drinking as well as dangerous and unprotected sex.  EDM isn't worth the risk.  I've been to raves that were well-organized events and others that were little more than indoor riots and the only difference between them is level of seediness of the pushers, flask smugglers and predators, usually males looking for underage females.  And yes, there are underage kids at raves. 

Now if you only want to discuss EDM you should have titled your thread differently. 

backbreaker86

Well at underground raves are always open to underage children. You have to have a photo id to get into certain events such as EDC or UMF in Miami which both are a blast! The underground rave in warehouses can be a bit of a safety issue but people are not there to drink or have sex as much as they are to dance and PLUR it up! Well thanks for the advice on what i should have titled it but EDM is not just one thing. See the RAVE act is just one branch off of EDM. There is so much more!

Beguile's Mistress

I do hope you find the kind of discourse you want here.  Please keep in mind that our site is an adult one in more ways than one.  Writing adult themes is part of our community but so is adult, mature behavior.  Good luck with your thread and your application.

Chelemar

parties are great, music is awesome... the drugs are not. 

My neighbor, 21, greatest guy you'll ever want to meet, was at a party.  Someone dosed his drink.  An hour later he was in the back of an ambulance flat lining.  They brought him back.

A half hour later, he was in the ER talking to his Mom, and boom, he went down--coded.  Again, they brought him back. 

He was lucky to be alive.

Two other people were dosed that night at two different parties.  And yes, it happens all the time. 

The drugs are illegal, there's no control in purity, or in what they are made with.  You never know who is going to give you what. 

If what you are there for is the dancing and the music, the getting together with other people, then there is no need for the drugs.  None.  No one is holding you back from celebrating what you love in that case.

backbreaker86

Quote from: Chelemar on September 25, 2012, 04:08:45 PM
parties are great, music is awesome... the drugs are not. 

My neighbor, 21, greatest guy you'll ever want to meet, was at a party.  Someone dosed his drink.  An hour later he was in the back of an ambulance flat lining.  They brought him back.

A half hour later, he was in the ER talking to his Mom, and boom, he went down--coded.  Again, they brought him back. 

He was lucky to be alive.

Two other people were dosed that night at two different parties.  And yes, it happens all the time. 

The drugs are illegal, there's no control in purity, or in what they are made with.  You never know who is going to give you what. 

If what you are there for is the dancing and the music, the getting together with other people, then there is no need for the drugs.  None.  No one is holding you back from celebrating what you love in that case.
Very sad to hear. I have lost a good friend three years back who was addicted to roxies..o.c's and took to many that he became paralyzed. His body was trying to throw it back up and he drowned in his own vomit. That change my life...it change a few of us real quick. It is sad how people go!