Must see Movies of 2012

Started by Callie Del Noire, March 01, 2012, 09:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

That's RZA from the old Wu-Tang Clan rapper team?

Either way, I'm sold.  I love me some kung-fu action...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Immortal Flame

There have been so many good movies this year, which is saying something when that's not always the case.  Sherlock Holmes was probably my favorite of the year so far, though Avengers was pretty epic, as well.  I'm looking forward to checking out the Hobbit next!  I have a mild trepidation about their splitting it up into three movies though.  This could potentionally make for some wonderful details in the movie that otherwise might have been left out, but it could also turn into nothing more than Hollywood seeking the next cash cow :/  I'm hoping that the movie-makers just remember to put quality and content ahead of cash!

Wallflower20

So, last year around the first of December I was bumbling around YouTube, and I came across a Hobbit trailer. I love the LOTR books and the prequil is my favorite of all, so I'd been keeping tabs on when it was expected, so seeing this for the first time, I got really stoked. So, I click it... And it says "Christmas Day." Just that. Of course, I assume Christmas Day 2011, and I'm rushing downstairs telling everyone we're going to the movies Christmas day and all that jazz. I thought about how it was so strange because surely they would have had the trailer on television, because I think it's one of the most anticipated movies of the century (for me, it definitely is.. been waiting for the release date since The Return of the King came out). About a week later, and no ads on tv, I get that it's supposed to be for 2012. I think that's the saddest I've ever been about a movie.

Hope this little anecdote is appropriate for here. It came to mind and decided I'd like to share.
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:
Labradoodle by the Pope of the Erisian Paratheo-Anametamystikhood mayovagan
Royal Domesticated Fox by the Czar of the two Russias and his Bride, Queen of Normandy via Black Hand

Mobats

Heaven Sent Blossom

Now I realise this might not be the most popular opinion to have on the internet, but the Total Recall "remake" was pretty good and people should consider checking it out. Just sayin'.

Oh and this may not technically be 2012 hype but it was supposed to come out this year before a studio decision to delay it, so it kind of counts. Besides it's the greatest thing of all time so whatevs:

Hansel and Gretel Trailer (2013)

Wallflower20

Major points. I hadn't seen that. That looks pretty amazing; lots of big names. I also want to check out the remake of Total Recall; the main actor was interviewed on a talk show and piqued my interest.
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:
Labradoodle by the Pope of the Erisian Paratheo-Anametamystikhood mayovagan
Royal Domesticated Fox by the Czar of the two Russias and his Bride, Queen of Normandy via Black Hand

Mr Self Destruct

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 07, 2012, 07:23:01 PM
I found this tonight, and it looks rather entertaining to me  :D

The Man With The Iron Fists - Trailer (HD)

Quentin Tarantino needs to stop making movies.  That guy hasn't made anything decent since Pulp Fiction. 

I am looking forward to this family friendly fare, though:

New Hotel Transylvania Trailer

Chris Brady

Quote from: Dark Clown on September 10, 2012, 11:35:51 PM
Quentin Tarantino needs to stop making movies.  That guy hasn't made anything decent since Pulp Fiction. 

I am looking forward to this family friendly fare, though:

New Hotel Transylvania Trailer

He hasn't made many films, actually.  He tends to just green light 'em.  He produces, doesn't really direct.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Chris Brady

Rise of the Guardians Trailer 2.

Rise of the Guardians Trailer 2 - 2012 Movie - Official [HD]

This is coming out in 2013, but what the heck:

EPIC Trailer 2013 Movie - Official [HD]

Callie Del Noire

Torch

If any of you haven't seen Argo yet, go.

Right now.

Turn off the computer and go.

No joke, the best film I've seen all year. The tension in this film was indescribable. Even though you know the outcome going in, you are still kept on the edge of your seat until the very end. Ben Affleck did an amazing job as a director.

For those of us who are elderly enough to remember the events in Iran in 1979, the film was particularly compelling.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

TheGlyphstone

World War Z: The Generic Action-Thriller.

Vanity Evolved

I'm quite looking forward to Man with the Iron Fists.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 09, 2012, 11:15:35 AM
World War Z: The Generic Action-Thriller.

What gets me.. It could HAVE been better.

TheGlyphstone

It could have been SO much better. The book is amazing.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Vanity Evolved on November 09, 2012, 11:21:46 AM
I'm quite looking forward to Man with the Iron Fists.

It's...interesting. I can't call it a -bad- movie, but I also can't remember another time when I sat in a theater and said "whoever this is intended for, it is so not me" which is weird, cause I like the kind of kung-fu-sploitation chop-sockey genre it emulates.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Lux12

Call me odd, but am I the only one who's rather sick of a lot of these CGI films?It just seems like they've been pumping out an excess of them in recent years.

Chris Brady

Two reasons, first is that they're some what easier to do than traditional animation (the models and scenery don't need to be redrawn every frame), second the 'rules' of what can be done in them (like character death and other things of that nature) are still not fully cemented in the publics brain.  Yet.

Don't like it?  Oh we'll.

Lux12

I prefer hand drawn.I always considered hand drawn animation to be more expressive and atmospheric in general.

Vanity Evolved

Quote from: DarklingAlice on November 09, 2012, 07:41:02 PM
It's...interesting. I can't call it a -bad- movie, but I also can't remember another time when I sat in a theater and said "whoever this is intended for, it is so not me" which is weird, cause I like the kind of kung-fu-sploitation chop-sockey genre it emulates.

I can't comment quite yet, as I havn't seen it, but yeah; I'm assuming a gathering of genre and medium tropes. You've got some very heavy pulp and wuxia influences, alongside some Western influences, all which are very similar types of story telling. All revolving around kung fu and Quentin Tarentino's idea of action, which I imagine is going to get odd. Very fast. Also, I did not like Lucy Liu as a cast; of all the professional wuxia actresses you could get (Zhang Ziyi, but I think she doesn't do much anymore or Michelle Yoeh, for example) and they choose Lucy Liu.

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Lux12 on November 09, 2012, 10:59:33 PM
Call me odd, but am I the only one who's rather sick of a lot of these CGI films?It just seems like they've been pumping out an excess of them in recent years.

Ah, I kind of interpreted this comment to be about CGI vs. practical effects rather than entirely CG animated films. I think the latter is nice and the former is ruining cinema.

Quote from: Vanity Evolved on November 10, 2012, 09:28:32 PM
I can't comment quite yet, as I havn't seen it, but yeah; I'm assuming a gathering of genre and medium tropes. You've got some very heavy pulp and wuxia influences, alongside some Western influences, all which are very similar types of story telling. All revolving around kung fu and Quentin Tarentino's idea of action, which I imagine is going to get odd. Very fast. Also, I did not like Lucy Liu as a cast; of all the professional wuxia actresses you could get (Zhang Ziyi, but I think she doesn't do much anymore or Michelle Yoeh, for example) and they choose Lucy Liu.

Two quick clarifications, and again I'm not saying it is a bad movie because of this, but I think they contribute to why I personally didn't like it: 1) this is not a Tarantino action film. It's written by RZA and Eli Roth and entirely directed by RZA. They asked Tarantino to put his name to it as kind of a stamp of approval, but he had no involvement with any aspect of the film-making. If you go in expecting a Tarantino movie you will be disappointed. 2) this is not really a wuxia film as the term is commonly used (though it probably falls under the broadest definition of the term) but don't expect wuxia tropes. It's definately a kung-fu movie, but far more in the 1970s style (when, at least in the PRC, wuxia fiction was suppressed) and honestly pulls a lot more from the Western film and Japanese influences than any Chinese ones. Again, I am sure that all appeals to someone, and I really can't say I didn't enjoy the sit, but I think that I was expecting something different than I got. In the final analysis its definitely a movie I am glad I saw, but wish I had seen on Netflix or something.

Also I adore Zhang Ziyi! (and I think she has a few upcoming films, not sure as to genre however)
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

TheGlyphstone

So, I quite enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph, but I was wondering something:

This was the song that played over the end credits:
Owl City - When Can I See You Again w/Lyrics

Listen, and tell me - doesn't it sound like the singer just had a one-night stand and is singing to the other person? Kind of a strange song to use as the signature track of a kid's movie. ;D

Though on reflection, it may have been intentional, since they also used the innuendo-riddled 'Shut Up And Drive'.

Chelemar

"To Kill a Mockingbird"  50th Anniversary release

Information:  TCM Presents To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary
Opens tomorrow, November 15, 2012 | Runtime:2 hr 30 min
PG
NCM Fathom Events, Turner Classic Movies and Universal Pictures presents the third event in the TCM Event Series by celebrating the 50th Anniversary of “To Kill A Mockingbird” starring Academy Award® Winning Actor Gregory Peck and the 100th Anniversary of Universal in movie theaters nationwide on Thursday, November 15th at 7:00 PM (local time).
The event begins with a Turner Classic Movies original production featuring TCM host Robert Osborne providing historical commentary devoted to exploring the racially divided towns in the 1930s and all of the tensions that existed amongst members of society during this era.