News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Chlorine Triflouride!

Started by Vekseid, July 09, 2009, 07:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Taking "The goggles, they do NOTHING!" to an entirely new level.

Quote from: John Clark
It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

Oniya

Reading the rest of the entries tagged 'Things I Won't Work With' was also amusing, even to this non-chemist.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Indigo

Quoteit’s bad enough when your reagent ignites wet sand, but the clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid are your special door prize if you’re foolhardy enough to hang around and watch the fireworks.

Bwahaha

Sel Nar

Quote from: Vekseid on July 09, 2009, 07:35:05 AMIt is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers (Emphasis Mine)

Yeah; there's a reason that's Listed in the Nightmare Fuel Section of TvTropes as well. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/HighOctaneNightmareFuel/RealLife

Arazel Eternal

Im not chemist.  I dont feel comfortable with working with so many chemicals that could be very lethal and/or damaging to me or anything I am around.  With my luck, I would die that way, by exposure to some horrific chemical.
“I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and for this moment, at least, someone in this world cared enough about me to take my picture.” – Final Fantasy VII fanfic, Scribbler.
My Turn Ons and Offs
My Apologies and Abscences