News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Yeah, I've realized that, for some reason, I forgot to thin the skin paint when painting the face...  ::)

Dhi

Working with two Nasmat drones from Infinity's infamous antenna period, one antenna popped off in the first five minutes, and the other popped off before I finished basecoating. I glued those with Bondic, it's solid plastic.

Into the trash those fiddly antennas go! The drones look better without them anyway.

Pockets

Tamiya Plastic Cement will fix most of that problem. It bonds everything into a solid piece of plastic because it chemically melts the plastic enough to generate the bond without deforming the model. It even comes with a nifty brush applicator.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on January 09, 2018, 05:35:12 PM
Working with two Nasmat drones from Infinity's infamous antenna period, one antenna popped off in the first five minutes, and the other popped off before I finished basecoating. I glued those with Bondic, it's solid plastic.

Into the trash those fiddly antennas go! The drones look better without them anyway.

What a coincidence! I admit that I assembled one of the Nasmats last week or so (the second one waits on the shelf, ready for assembly) and I didn't have too much of a problem with it. Even with the antenna. Lately, I tend to enhance almost all of the joints with small bits of greenstuff - it really helps!

Of course, I don't know how long will the antenna stay in its place, especially if I ever try to transport the drone - but right now, the mini is primed, based and still in one piece :)

Dhi

It felt foolish to try to attach them again. The next time they pop off, they were going to take a good chunk of blending with them. Into the trash!

Those Nasmats are finished. The Red Veil Tuareg is next on the table.

eBadger

One of my holiday projects; 28mm scale, the thing is massive. 

Dhi

Sprikut

Investing in some music wire and micro drill bits is a god send for infinity pieces. Super simple to pin when. Your bit is 0.02mm

Dhi

Tuareg is finished! Dunno what I want to paint next.

Arkaniel

I’m currently experimenting with getting a red metal sheen for my custodes. I did normal red because I though it looked good, but it’s actually pretty boring.

And I finished 9 inceptors in a week!

Beorning

Dhi, you know what's worse than Infinity antennas? For, it's minis that hold the guns with two hands. Yes, they look great - I love those dynamic poses of taking aim etc. But glueing these minis is a nightmare for me!

Yesterday, I tried glueing the Grenzer from the Icestorm box:

I spent half an hour trying to do this, but I gave up. I kept succeeding with attaching one of the arms, but when I tried to fit the other one, it just didn't work - I couldn't make the arms connect correctly and everything kept falling apart. Eventually, I ended up with another dirty mini in need of acetone bath. Aaaaargh!

Anyway, congratulations on the Tuareg. Wow, you're fast!

TheLaughingOne

I had issues with getting my redemptor together as such... The rest of the model was pretty easy (though some post set issues with the power arm, very flimsy put together style, needs to take some notes from Gunpla things. Ended up snapping and i had to green stuff and glue it all together in one pose)

the worst was the legs, which had bad instructions, and a weird style. Once i had it all together when i stood it for a pose the torso would have been aiming up in a weird  angle (like the dude was extreme hip thrusting) ended up having to snap the very well super glued legs off, and spent almost TWO HOURS realigning them til they looked good, nothing like the model was intended, but i think it has a neat little "action running pose".

but lord.. it felt like a trial to get done at the end, specially with bit of panic on "am i going to have to scrap the legs of a freaking 60 dollar kit..?"
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

I know exactly what you mean! Tuareg's wrist is half a millimeter off even after test fitting. But I filled the rest with some magic sculpt, and I think it looks okay.

Kingdom Death's Before The Wall, and Gui Feng Xi Zhuang and the Mad Caps from Infinity's Dire Foes 6 are next on the table. I guess I'm into painting lil robots right now.

TheLaughingOne

hehe! Best to! i need to get my models primed and start painting again myself... Though, with days off changed i now no longer have anybody to play with RL :I
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

Gui Feng Xi Zhuang and Mad Traps are done.

Beorning

Are you going to paint Leila Sharif from the same box?

BTW. Any photos of the Tuareg?

TerribleTira

just thought I'd share a couple pics of some minis I recently painted

Dhi

Those are rad, welcome! I like the barbarian woman especially, the black lines make everything pop. How did you do your grass?

Beorning, here's the Tuareg.

Nasmats without antennas.

I'll paint Leila for sure. She is another model with both hands on the gun if memory serves.

TerribleTira

Quote from: Dhi on January 19, 2018, 01:42:14 AM
Those are rad, welcome! I like the barbarian woman especially, the black lines make everything pop. How did you do your grass?

She's a custom job, actually. I think they call it a "kit bash". the grass i glue at the very bottom the ditress the top. then i just stick it down with more glue, toss on some moss, rock, etc. over it. done

Dhi

Ah, that explains where in the world you found a sensibly dressed warrior woman. That's even more impressive, you really put together something cool.

TerribleTira

thanks. currently, she's the gem of my barbarian horde. I really need to finish up more of them, though. I just don't have alotta time lately. :/

Your minis look excellent, btw. do you take the pics yourself? I can't ever get a good pic of my own and i think it makes all the difference

Dhi

I do. I use a lightbox, and shine a couple of matched lamps through the side windows to (mostly) eliminate shadows. The camera ISO has to be turned down very low or all that light will wash everything out. I was using ISO 100, but now I'm starting to use 80, and I think it looks better. Nicer contrast.

I feel like it also helps if the rest of the room is dark. A camera seems more sensitive to light pollution than I am.

TerribleTira

Quote from: Dhi on January 19, 2018, 02:22:17 AM
I do. I use a lightbox, and shine a couple of matched lamps through the side windows to (mostly) eliminate shadows. The camera ISO has to be turned down very low or all that light will wash everything out. I was using ISO 100, but now I'm starting to use 80, and I think it looks better. Nicer contrast.

I feel like it also helps if the rest of the room is dark. A camera seems more sensitive to light pollution than I am.

My room is pretty dark, and i try to shine a direct light on them, but then the pic comes out yellow or red. i think my camera just sucks. lol

Oh well, c'est la vie. that's why I paint instead of photograph. hahaha

Dhi

Yeah, I have zero photography background so it took me a long time to figure out mine. In my effort to learn there were quite a few YouTube tutorials from mini painters, none of them super helpful. Some of them just feel like rants, like the whole point of the video was to vent about bad photos. So okay, I don't want to take bad photos, but come on guy there has to be more to it than 1) put a backdrop in and 2) steady those jitters.

TerribleTira

I've never bothered looking on youtube for things other than music to listen to, tbh.