Words of wisdom!

Started by Grave, February 21, 2014, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

I'm not better than anyone
but I am just as good!

AmberStarfire

Honestly, I think some people are better than others.

Some people are better at different things. Some people don't care about others at all, just their own wants and needs.

Am I better than a murderer? Yes. Am I better than someone who's committed atrocities or crimes against humanity? I would certainly hope so.

I can't rationalise seeing everyone as equal when I feel that way, so I can only reason that some people are better than others. Some people make mistakes, or make bad choices through necessity but some people don't. Some people do it because they want to. Even if at birth people have a clean slate, who's to say they do during life? It comes down to perception, I guess?

Lain

When all else fails... Craft.
My Heritage Is Rebellion.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: AmberStarfire on January 28, 2016, 07:43:47 AM
Honestly, I think some people are better than others.

Some people are better at different things. Some people don't care about others at all, just their own wants and needs.

Am I better than a murderer? Yes. Am I better than someone who's committed atrocities or crimes against humanity? I would certainly hope so.

I can't rationalise seeing everyone as equal when I feel that way, so I can only reason that some people are better than others. Some people make mistakes, or make bad choices through necessity but some people don't. Some people do it because they want to. Even if at birth people have a clean slate, who's to say they do during life? It comes down to perception, I guess?

We live in a world where some people see themselves as the elite, the chosen, the standard by which we all should live, the epitome to which we all should strive.  These people belittle others, debase and demean them.  No one is better or more deserving than anyone else.  My quote is a response to those who accuse me or anyone of thinking we are better than others.  I don't think I am better, but I do believe I am just as good.

I don't like it when people judge others based on their perception of themselves.

Rhedyn

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on January 29, 2016, 09:40:40 AM
We live in a world where some people see themselves as the elite, the chosen, the standard by which we all should live, the epitome to which we all should strive.  These people belittle others, debase and demean them.  No one is better or more deserving than anyone else.  My quote is a response to those who accuse me or anyone of thinking we are better than others.  I don't think I am better, but I do believe I am just as good.

I don't like it when people judge others based on their perception of themselves.

That is true of some people (that they see themselves as the elite and that others should do as they do) but it's not true of all. I may agree to disagree about the subject in the general sense, because I don't think I can unsee it the way I see it, and I don't think you'd see it differently either.

abandoneddolly

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

AmberStarfire

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Rhedyn

"Action is the foundational key to all success" ~ Pablo Picasso

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Rhedyn

Rhedyn

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

"People need to be encouraged. People need to be reminded of how wonderful they are. People need to be believed in and told that they are brave, smart and capable of accomplishing all their dreams and more. Let’s remind each other of these."

(SJ Speer - Tumblr)

Vergil Tanner

"Shepherd Book once said to me, 'If you can't do something smart, do something right.' "
-- Jayne Cobb, Serenity (2005)
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

SmokingCamels

I am surprised I missed this thread.  This should be a permanent sticky for me.  To start with.  Words from my hero, a plank member of SEAL team 6, founder of RedCellInternation, and a highly educated, high speed, low drag military man through and through.

The Rogue Warrior's Ten Commandments of SpecWar

1. I am the War Lord and the wrathful God of Combat and I will always lead you from the front, not the rear.
2. I will treat you all alike - just like shit.
3. Thou shalt do nothing I will not do first, and thus will you be created Warriors in My deadly image.
4. I shall punish thy bodies because the more thou sweatest in training, the less thou bleedest in combat.
5. Indeed, if thou hurteth in thy efforts and thou suffer painful dings, then thou art Doing It Right.
6. Thou hast not to like it - thou hast just to do it.
7. Thou shalt Keep It Simple, Stupid.
8. Thou shalt never assume.
9. Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you.
10. Thou shalt, in thy Warrior's Mind and Soul, always remember My ultimate and final Commandment: There Are No Rules - Thou Shalt Win at All Cost.

- Richard Marcinko
www.dickmarcinko.com/

shasha

Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.
Aleister Crowley
not sure what to put here, at the moment.

SmokingCamels

The problem with Common Sense is that it's...so common.

-Frank Underwood

AmberStarfire

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

~Wendell Berry