[Crimson Summit] Werewolf the Apocalypse; Rage Across Gaia

Started by Aethyrium, September 02, 2018, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xurtan

For what it's worth Curvy, there's good odds in most Werewolf games I know that we're all relatively new, within a year or so of experience of each other. Unless Aethyr plans to change that, it's usually the NPCs and such that are higher in rank and the pack starts sometimes at Cub (and doing their Rite of Passage) or one step above. The latter of which I *believe* is where we're starting, but you'd have to check with A. So there's a lot to figure out. :) Not least for the Lupus, as we're still trying to get a handle on the whole human thing.

Amarlo

I'm also really new to the system as well, Curvy. So you won't be the only one! From what I've read of the set up thus far, there's no such thing as a 'turned' wolf in this setting technically - which is only kind of depressing for me. However, good thing is that homid types typically grow up as humans without apparently knowing of their nature in most cases. So you can still definitely do the whole new to the world thing. ;D

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Aethyrium

Quote from: Xurtan on September 04, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
Also, question to Aethyr. As far as Gifts, are the three listed what we can pick from, from each? Or do we have access to the full level 1 options for each?
Your starting gifts (the ones you would pick in Step 8 of character creation listed in this thread) should be 1 from each of the 3 listed options under Breed/Auspice/Tribe. If you are using freebies to buy gifts after that you may have your full selection based on the freebie chart.

Quote from: CurvyKitten on September 04, 2018, 10:18:31 PM
Hello,

I was given a small nudge this way, and this game looks really great. I can tell you've put in a great deal of work into it Aethyrium. I don't know the system very well though. So I hope you don't mind helping a newbie? Normally when I get into a system I don't know I play a "new" type character. In this case perhaps a younger werewolf. Would that be ok? Not a cub of course...am I making sense? LOL If this were a vampire game I'd play a fairly newly turned vampire.

Still if that is ok, I'd love to be a part of this one. :)

Thank you!
Curvykitten
Welcome welcome welcome. You're absolutely welcome here, unfamiliar with the system or not. You really shouldn't need to understand the system much in order to get it, but of course any questions you have, I will gladly answer. I will do most of the interacting with the "system elements" of the game, off screen. You guys should basically only ever be writing. We'll use it for creation, and all of that is pretty decently laid out (thank you by the way for that, I appreciate the acknowledgement!) and past that to make marked advancement as we proceed.

Either way, yes yes, we can absolutely make it work for a new player. As for age of turned, that's fine. None of the wolves present should really be that old. We're talking about a set of cubs who have been out of their rite of passage for a handful of years. The first change usually happens around adolescence, but it's been known to hold off for a trigger in some people, so you could be someone even less than average.

Quote from: Amarlo on September 04, 2018, 11:14:07 PM
From what I've read of the set up thus far, there's no such thing as a 'turned' wolf in this setting technically - which is only kind of depressing for me. However, good thing is that homid types typically grow up as humans without apparently knowing of their nature in most cases. So you can still definitely do the whole new to the world thing. ;D
This is correct. There is no "bitten to become a werewolf", you are born with the Garou blood and about 10% of those individuals become full fledged Garou. Others that carry the genes are called Kinfolk. And unless you're born Metis (in which case you absolutely know you're a werewolf, because you're born in the "werewolf" form), you're entire pre-change life would likely be spent not knowing. There's weird stuff, but most of it doesn't hit till later and focuses around people being wary of you because you're a natural predator. So, yes, you can be absolutely new to the everything (as a homid, or even a lupus, who grows up knowing only that they are a wolf!)

Quote from: Xurtan on September 04, 2018, 10:48:56 PM
For what it's worth Curvy, there's good odds in most Werewolf games I know that we're all relatively new, within a year or so of experience of each other. Unless Aethyr plans to change that, it's usually the NPCs and such that are higher in rank and the pack starts sometimes at Cub (and doing their Rite of Passage) or one step above. The latter of which I *believe* is where we're starting, but you'd have to check with A. So there's a lot to figure out. :) Not least for the Lupus, as we're still trying to get a handle on the whole human thing.
This is also correct. Characters are post rite of passage (meaning rank 1, Cliath) and have been past their rite of passage for a length of time to be determined by the individual writer, so long as they didn't do a bunch that would have had them be elevated in rank. The pack that's called together are "supposed to be" (I mean this sort of meta game speaking) individuals that were waiting for their pack to all get ready.

My character, for instance, Brooke, has been past her rite of passage for a couple years now. She spent some time learning how to speak english, and wandering cities and traveling looking for her goals. She hasn't really been a part of a Caern or taken part of anything of great importance other than exploring who she is now that she is more than just a wolf.

Aethyrium

As an update... Because some how I forgot to include it. The Litany (The "laws of the Garou") is now included in the last section of the (currently) last post in the world building thread. It can be found here under the "litany" header. This should also be good for anyone who is unfamiliar with the setting, gives you an idea of werewolf...culture? More information (not litany exclusive) can be provided on request.

Strenia

All knowledge is worth having - Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Dart

Stren's Corner - O&Os

A wandering Bard's map - A&As

CurvyKitten

I'd like to claim Susan Coffey as my face claim. Name: Aoife (pronounced "ee-fa'') Fáelad. She will be a Lupus, Galliard, Fianna. I keep going back and forth on Attribute priority and ability priorities. Sorry! I have a concept, but I am still trying to figure out what would work best with her. Plus there are never enough points! LOLZ

Amarlo

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Xurtan

*snicker* Hey Stren. And yeah I know the feeling Curvy, it took me a bit to decide on my point layout.

Aethyrium

Quote from: Strenia on September 05, 2018, 09:12:26 PM
*raises hand* interested please
Hello hello friend, and welcome to the world. You're welcome to join in the fun.

Quote from: CurvyKitten on September 05, 2018, 09:40:49 PM
I'd like to claim Susan Coffey as my face claim. Name: Aoife (pronounced "ee-fa'') Fáelad. She will be a Lupus, Galliard, Fianna. I keep going back and forth on Attribute priority and ability priorities. Sorry! I have a concept, but I am still trying to figure out what would work best with her. Plus there are never enough points! LOLZ
Your face claim has been noted, and the other information is good (Wheee, Fianna... Good Face Claim for that too!) Don't worry, you've got time. We've still got people rolling in as finding interest it looks like, and everyone is still working on their sheets, so you're right in line.

There have been questions about camps within the various tribes. Camps should mostly be thought of as political factions, you've probably had limited interaction with directly. If you're not sure what a camp is, don't worry about it, it's likely something that will come up in game. If you need to use camps for something specifically in your character, that can probably be fine, just point it out in your concept submission.

Psyk

Hey! I'm interested in playing. I am new to E and am unfamiliar with the system. So, if you'll have me, I'd like to play. I will get a concept in to you either today or tomorrow.

Aethyrium

Quote from: Psyk on September 06, 2018, 01:27:34 PM
Hey! I'm interested in playing. I am new to E and am unfamiliar with the system. So, if you'll have me, I'd like to play. I will get a concept in to you either today or tomorrow.
I think that we can work with both of those things, you're very welcome to come and play. That sounds great!

Aethyrium

Given that this game is intended to have only 6-8 players, and we have 10 submissions already I would like to make the cut off day for concept submission this coming Monday (09/10/18). Since the game was launched during the week, this'll give a weekend for any others who aren't normally on to check it out. So if you haven't seen the game yet, or are just checking it out, you still have a bit of time to toss in your concepts. I will happily accept all concepts up till that point, and then I'll be proceeding only with those that made it in.

Thank you for your understanding, and if you're lurking around, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Strenia

Not that I think anyone’s going to take her but I would like to face claim Annasthesia Suicide, please.
All knowledge is worth having - Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Dart

Stren's Corner - O&Os

A wandering Bard's map - A&As

Xurtan

How much, if any, sex do you see taking place between characters? I'd assume it's primarily a plot based game, but you know what they say about assuming. *snicker* Sort of debating my character's orientation--and how Lupus even view sex, let alone with Homid--and that sort of thing. That and... *looks at the Litany, ponders the bit about Garou mating* At least male on male or female on female can't result in Metis? :P

CurvyKitten

Xurtan for shame, trying to sex up your fellow wolves :P

YAAY sheet done and sent. Only to realize afterward that I forgot to add my character images to it. Dang nab it. ~kicks rocks~ LOL I swear if she is approved I will add them!!!

Xurtan

It's useful info to know one way or the other, what can I say. ;)

Aethyrium

Quote from: Strenia on September 07, 2018, 12:04:26 AM
Not that I think anyone’s going to take her but I would like to face claim Annasthesia Suicide, please.
I have recorded this!

Quote from: Xurtan on September 07, 2018, 03:37:17 PM
How much, if any, sex do you see taking place between characters? I'd assume it's primarily a plot based game, but you know what they say about assuming. *snicker* Sort of debating my character's orientation--and how Lupus even view sex, let alone with Homid--and that sort of thing. That and... *looks at the Litany, ponders the bit about Garou mating* At least male on male or female on female can't result in Metis? :P
I think this is very likely up to the writers involved. Garou are people and they have sex. Inter-pack sex is a bit messy because Metis and the Litany exist (Every Philodox ever is going to be like "That's a really bad idea", and probably every Galliard to boot "Have you heard the tale of so and so and such and such, who gave birth to this and that? Let me tell you of their tragedy..."). But the world is changing and Garou are doing what they want more and more, Metis counts are on the rise compared to other breeds in this age. Pack members are almost doomed to fall in love, given their proximity to one another.

I have to imagine that homosexual relations within Garou society are pretty common place. It allows for a level of love and bonding that doesn't result in physical mating. I can see (and probably will even suggest) a world in which same sex Garou relationships are pretty normal. Lupus usually have a hard time relating to human ideas, and so sex for pure pleasure rather than for breeding might be a bit of a foreign concept; whereas Homid grew up in a society that hyper-elevates sex (if you think it's 'bad' in our world, imagine how it is in the World of Darkness where exploitation is 10 times more severe). That's not to say all Lupus are opposed to casual sex, they grow into human society and what's more human than casual sex and humor?

My short answer is that I suppose I don't plan to focus much on sex between the players, though it is likely a theme that'll come up in the narrative. Garou are going to be very tolerant and understanding of homosexual relations, where as humans are likely to be even more bigoted. I would say if characters have open sex, however, that we be allowed to explore the possibility of potential offspring (in character actions can have in character consequences), if only because that is an intriguing story line that would self develop and add some intriguing death; but no one will be pushed into that.

Amarlo

-Shakes fist at Xurg.- Dirty pleasure seeking cretins!

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Xurtan

Love the new avatar, 'Marlo. :P And hah, mostly just curious. It's an interesting sort of... everything with the Garou. Not only their hierarchy but the way they view sex. Wolves tend to mount males to show dominance. Older Garou (according to the Kinfolk book) don't approve of same sex relations as it's also a detriment to the 'we need kids' spiel. Which goes off into the Kinfolk meme of keeping them for breeding and the general really awful mindset and society of the Garou, with them basically being religious fanatics at best. *snicker* They have their good sides, but they're definitely assholes. We're also moving into the modern age, and considering Glass Walkers and the way people are questioning the old ways, things are a changin'. I could see my guy sort of trying to go with the true wolf pack thing, wanting to be alpha, have an alpha bitch at his side, and mounting the guys to show he's stronger. *snerk* I need to do more research, I have a few books open and hope they'll further clear things up.

Amarlo

-cackles.- That's pretty humorous. Also, thank you. I found it peeking around and was like "MUST USE" ^^

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Intimate Ink

Quote from: Xurtan on September 08, 2018, 06:33:50 PM
. I could see my guy sort of trying to go with the true wolf pack thing, wanting to be alpha, have an alpha bitch at his side, and mounting the guys to show he's stronger. *snerk*

So, you are telling us that you are playing Luka?

Xurtan

He's... more muscular than Luka? :P And not as verbose.

Amarlo

What I'm hearing is he needs an alphess that's not afraid to butt heads with him. -flutters lashes.-

Side note, I'm changing my faceclaim to Frances Bean Cobain. -smiles sweetly.-

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

CurvyKitten

First off I too love the new avatar! hehe I need a new one, just not sure what I want.

Anyway hehe, I know Aoife will be more I guess classic in her views.  Part of that is because she hasn't been changed that long. It's going to be so funny seeing her interact and learn how things are in human society. She isn't dumb, she just doesn't get why the humans do so many stupid things LOL. If any of that makes sense?

And once she is part of a pack she is loyal to a fault. And NO ONE fucks with her people...or wolves in this case. LOL

That is if she gets approved. I'm off to work on her now!

Xurtan

Makes perfect sense and is generally a Lupus mindset, I suspect. Wolves are very practical and tend to see things in 'threat or food', without caring beyond that. Humans tend to be very focused on the 'why' of things, and if it doesn't actually matter (Such as the societal reasoning behind hand shakes--a Lupus probably wouldn't care to know the details, just 'do this when you meet a human') they're more likely to consider it some convoluted human mess. I suspect Mason and Aoife will get along just fine.

At least so far on paper she'd probably be his first pick for "alpha bitch" given an option, because they'd come from similar backgrounds and mindsets. Although right now of course we have so few details it's hard to say where anything is going to go, or what the final approval list is going to look like. I'm definitely curious where we end up and what the pack looks like, we have a fascinating array of auspices and tribes available.

I'm trying to get through the Kinfolk, Guardians of the Caerns, Player's Guide to Garou, Tribesbook: Uktena, and the Book of Auspices PDFs at the very least. It's good reading and gives a better idea of what we were probably taught immediately, both as cubs and post-Rite. Trying to get a handle on how much Mason actually knows, and how specialized knowledge wise he is. It's a bit of a difficult balance, honestly.

@Aethyr - Do we expect Caern ownership or the Umbra to come up much? Wondering if we're more of a Questing pack, or what, assuming you can answer either right now.