The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireStar

Bryan Cranston also provided the voice for Commissioner Gordon in Batman First Year and The Batman cartoon. He might be able to pull off the role. It just depends how they might approach the character. Though the Mr. Sinister character always seemed to appear suave, yet sadistic in the comics. Jonny Lee Miller might be an interesting alternative for the character.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 13, 2015, 09:05:13 PM
Bryan Cranston also provided the voice for Commissioner Gordon in Batman First Year and The Batman cartoon. He might be able to pull off the role. It just depends how they might approach the character. Though the Mr. Sinister character always seemed to appear suave, yet sadistic in the comics. Jonny Lee Miller might be an interesting alternative for the character.

Never saw that first one and Gordon was unremarkable in The Batman so I don't recall him much at all.

There's always fun questions on those youtube channels devoted to superhero movies, my favorite being 'pick a celebrity who hasn't yet been in a Marvel or DC movie you'd like to see enter into one or both of them'. That list is getting short but here's what I want: If they ever bring back the Red Skull...gotta get Christoph Waltz in there, man. An actual German and someone who's been in a semi-superhero movie (Green Hornet) before.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

I would probably die if Harrison Ford was casted for a superhero movie.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Read an article about the next Thor movie. Apparently, the reason the new director was hired was to tone down the dark material in the script. Um, do the executives ever read the scripts? If they wanted a lighter movie, it shouldn't be called Thor: Ragnorak. Also the Hulk is supposed to be in it, as is a rumor that Valkyrie will appear. The article even mentioned the possibility of another Thor movie without Thor/Chris Hemsworth  ??? So, does this possibly mean we'll see Jane Foster as Thor if they do another Thor movie?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 14, 2015, 08:59:16 AM
Read an article about the next Thor movie. Apparently, the reason the new director was hired was to tone down the dark material in the script. Um, do the executives ever read the scripts? If they wanted a lighter movie, it shouldn't be called Thor: Ragnorak. Also the Hulk is supposed to be in it, as is a rumor that Valkyrie will appear. The article even mentioned the possibility of another Thor movie without Thor/Chris Hemsworth  ??? So, does this possibly mean we'll see Jane Foster as Thor if they do another Thor movie?

That must be one of the three untitled new movies they announced that will be taking place after Infinity War/Inhumans. If Ragnarok is a big reset button on the 9 realms, that could mean they're getting ready for the perfect excuse to replace Hemsworth as Thor and every other Asgardian. Whether that replacement is female (I doubt Natalie Portman will be that, I hear she isn't into returning at all, at least not as Jane Foster).

The MCU needs to go darker, it has to be said. Ultron was nowhere near as menacing as he appeared in the trailer. Hell, Ant-Man had darker moments than Ultron.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I think they are afraid to take that step into letting the movies be darker for fear of angering fans. Not to mention losing a lot of money in marketing with kids toys, and other merchandise. Which is a bit baffling considering some of the comic book titles of marvels were not afraid to have some darker tones. In the West Coast Avengers, they killed Hawkeye's wife, Mockingbird just as they reached safety through the portal. There was the Dark Phoenix Saga, where the Hellfire club messed with Jean Grey's mind through mental manipulating which in turn set about unleashing the Dark Phoenix causing the Shi'Ar to get involved and try to execute Jean Grey/Phoenix as she was now a cosmic threat.

From what the article said, it was possible a next movie would focus on Sif and the character Valkyrie. Though if they want to do one without Thor, they could do Thunderstrike.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on October 15, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
Thor: A Lighter, Fluffier, Ragnarok?

Naomi Watts as She Hulk. 

Dark Phoenix Saga is the greatest story Marvel ever told. I wish Bryan Singer had got a shot to direct a real version of it. Oh well. :(

Well when you consider they've brought her and everyone else back from the Brett Ratner-verse timeline, it's possible she might be what finally stops Apocalypse. I mean, the guy has so much power, what else could possibly defeat him?

CaptainNexus616

▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

SapphireStar

Happened upon an article regarding more Marvel TV shows. FX has ordered up episodes of Legion, which will focus on Professor X's son, who in the comic was responsible for the Age of Apocalypse timeline when he went back in time to try to kill Magneto and wound up killing Professor X.

There is also going to be a show based on the Hellfire club, called Hellfire. Presumably it looks like Kevin Bacon, January Jones and the others from First Class who formed up the Hellfire Club might be returning.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 15, 2015, 07:16:24 PM
Happened upon an article regarding more Marvel TV shows. FX has ordered up episodes of Legion, which will focus on Professor X's son, who in the comic was responsible for the Age of Apocalypse timeline when he went back in time to try to kill Magneto and wound up killing Professor X.

There is also going to be a show based on the Hellfire club, called Hellfire. Presumably it looks like Kevin Bacon, January Jones and the others from First Class who formed up the Hellfire Club might be returning.

Is FX owned by Fox? And I thought they needed Marvel's permission to do X-Men TV shows, which is why they were in negotiation with them for certain Fantastic Four characters that could be integrated into the MCU.

And there's no way those actors would do a TV show...is there? Man, the world is changing.

SapphireStar

Fox still owns the rights to X-Men so they can do their own tv shows. There is a rumor being reported that Marvel will soon have the Fantastic Four added to the MCU. So, it looks like something is in the works.

Kevin Bacon has been doing the Fox tv series The Following, and January Jones just came off the long running Mad Men on AMC. Doing TV shows doesn't seem as taboo as it once was. For an actor to go from doing movies to tv was like one step away from being a nobody. Lot of Movie actors have been turning to tv. Rosario Dawson on Daredevil. David Tennant on Jessica Jones, also Doctor Who. Netflix and others have opened up a whole lot of different venues for the actors to reach a wider audience.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 15, 2015, 09:25:08 PM
Fox still owns the rights to X-Men so they can do their own tv shows. There is a rumor being reported that Marvel will soon have the Fantastic Four added to the MCU. So, it looks like something is in the works.

Kevin Bacon has been doing the Fox tv series The Following, and January Jones just came off the long running Mad Men on AMC. Doing TV shows doesn't seem as taboo as it once was. For an actor to go from doing movies to tv was like one step away from being a nobody. Lot of Movie actors have been turning to tv. Rosario Dawson on Daredevil. David Tennant on Jessica Jones, also Doctor Who. Netflix and others have opened up a whole lot of different venues for the actors to reach a wider audience.

Huh. Didn't give a fig about January Jones but that Kevin Bacon data surprised me. Interesting.

I don't think Fox owns the TV rights, though, from what I've been reading on the IMDB forums, but they do have the right to put a cease and desist order on any shows that are too similar to it being produced by Marvel. That's why Marvel/Disney can produce unlimited cartoons featuring X-Men characters and stuff without repercussions, unless the reality vs. animated issue is separate.

Does anyone have the relevant, concrete data on this? I'm really curious what the real deal is. Especially if it concerns bringing the F4 home at long, long last.

SapphireStar

The live action and animated series are probably seperate entities. The original X-men animated series from the early 90s was largely produced by Saban entertainment, but was disturbed/aired upon the Fox/Fox Kids Network during their animated block. There was a 2011 X-men series which was more anime based which was done through the G4 network. Wolverine and the X-men was distrubed/aired on Nicktoons. All the animated shows were licensed out to various production companies in association with Marvel Studios at the time, Marvel didn't have a studio to produce both live action and animated. Probably the only one which keeps both live action and animated in house is Warner Bros. Studios.

Fox studios has done previously live action X-men based productions. In 1996, Fox did a live action made for tv movie based on the characters from Generation X which was the team led by Emma Frost and Banshee. Finola Hughes played Emma Frost. 20th Century Fox also made the 1998 live action made for tv movie, Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. with David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury. Bryan Singer will be Executive Producing Legion and Hellfire.

Mini Update: Powers Boothe has been added to the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a recurring bad guy Gideon Malick who is described as "incredibly menacing" who even Grant Ward would fear. Interestingly, Powers Boothe was also one of the members of the World Security Council seen in the Avengers. So, does that mean that Gideon Malick is the same person? They did have the council members in shadow.

Chris Vance had been cast as Non for Supergirl. Vance was last seen starring in the Transporter tv series.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 16, 2015, 09:32:32 AM
The live action and animated series are probably seperate entities. The original X-men animated series from the early 90s was largely produced by Saban entertainment, but was disturbed/aired upon the Fox/Fox Kids Network during their animated block. There was a 2011 X-men series which was more anime based which was done through the G4 network. Wolverine and the X-men was distrubed/aired on Nicktoons. All the animated shows were licensed out to various production companies in association with Marvel Studios at the time, Marvel didn't have a studio to produce both live action and animated. Probably the only one which keeps both live action and animated in house is Warner Bros. Studios.

Fox studios has done previously live action X-men based productions. In 1996, Fox did a live action made for tv movie based on the characters from Generation X which was the team led by Emma Frost and Banshee. Finola Hughes played Emma Frost. 20th Century Fox also made the 1998 live action made for tv movie, Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. with David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury. Bryan Singer will be Executive Producing Legion and Hellfire.

Mini Update: Powers Boothe has been added to the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a recurring bad guy Gideon Malick who is described as "incredibly menacing" who even Grant Ward would fear. Interestingly, Powers Boothe was also one of the members of the World Security Council seen in the Avengers. So, does that mean that Gideon Malick is the same person? They did have the council members in shadow.

Chris Vance had been cast as Non for Supergirl. Vance was last seen starring in the Transporter tv series.

So has Fox had the rights to live action X-Men TV shows all this time and just never used them? WTF?! This whole uncertainty thing about whether they need Marvel's permission and if they're relinquishing certain F4 rights for it is killing me.

SapphireStar

They probably didn't see a market for doing a live action show based on a comic book till now. Especially with the success of Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Arrow, and few others. Not to mention some of Fox's shows don't last long so they're probably scrambling to keep up with the other networks.

There are conflicting rumors now about the Fantastic Four. Several articles say that Marvel is getting the rights back, others are saying the reports are bogus.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 17, 2015, 01:23:09 AM
They probably didn't see a market for doing a live action show based on a comic book till now. Especially with the success of Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Arrow, and few others. Not to mention some of Fox's shows don't last long so they're probably scrambling to keep up with the other networks.

There are conflicting rumors now about the Fantastic Four. Several articles say that Marvel is getting the rights back, others are saying the reports are bogus.

Cough *10 seasons of Smallville* Cough. Just shows to go that Fox can really be morons when it comes down to it.

Yeah, I've been hearing more that the reports are bogus. Fox's sheepish lack of practicality and ambition really defy all common sense, no wonder big rumors get started. Surely if it took them this long to figure out what a good idea would be, the only two realistic explanations would be that they're really that stupid or that their latest dumpster fire made them desperate enough to make a deal with Marvel like Sony did.

CaptainNexus616

Got some news concerning the new Spawn series due to arrive. Looks like its scheduled to be released April 10th. The big news is concerning the voice acting crew. I said this before but Keith David is coming back as the titular character (Yes!) Mark Hamil has been casted as Detective Twitch (I would have loved him as Clown/Violator but YES!) Michael Jai White (whom played the Spawn from the movie!) Carl Weathers! (Apollo Creed), Phillip LaMarr (Green Lantern from the 2003 Justice League show) Bruce Boxlietner (Played Tron), Clancy Brown (Another big name in voice acting), and Cree Summers (Too many notable Voice Actor Roles but if you grew up with the 90's and early 2000's she did a lot of voice roles for cartoons)

So yeah I'm really excited for this line up. No word on who will play the Clown yet but this is looking promising. Unless this is a lie I'm really impressed Todd Mcfarlane got all these people.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 21, 2015, 04:50:00 PM
Got some news concerning the new Spawn series due to arrive. Looks like its scheduled to be released April 10th. The big news is concerning the voice acting crew. I said this before but Keith David is coming back as the titular character (Yes!) Mark Hamil has been casted as Detective Twitch (I would have loved him as Clown/Violator but YES!) Michael Jai White (whom played the Spawn from the movie!) Carl Weathers! (Apollo Creed), Phillip LaMarr (Green Lantern from the 2003 Justice League show) Bruce Boxlietner (Played Tron), Clancy Brown (Another big name in voice acting), and Cree Summers (Too many notable Voice Actor Roles but if you grew up with the 90's and early 2000's she did a lot of voice roles for cartoons)

So yeah I'm really excited for this line up. No word on who will play the Clown yet but this is looking promising. Unless this is a lie I'm really impressed Todd Mcfarlane got all these people.

So when you say a Spawn series, you are referring to it as animation then, yes? Just wasn't 100% sure since you did mention voices but then in the Flash series which I just finished up on Netflix is having some characters in common (Clancy Brown as General Eiling, Mark Hamill as the Trickster) and some of the characters are voice only (Grodd, for example). I did like the Spawn movie, John Leguizamo was impressive as the clown/Violator, but I definitely think Hamill could have nailed that role too.

Is anyone else thinking Marvel should just cap Phase 3 with their Infinity War Part I and let the rest of the films (including the untitled 3 new ones they recently announced) be Phase 4? That would make Phase 3 and Phase 4 be 7 movie apiece, if you count the Sony-produced Spider-Man which does still technically take place within the MCU continuity. If those three new ones are being kept in Phase 3, it's pretty crazy, but that would mean Marvel's Phase 3 is longer than the entire planned DCCU, which I think at most had 10 or 11 films, if you include the already-released Man of Steel.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Mathim on October 17, 2015, 07:49:29 AM
Cough *10 seasons of Smallville* Cough. Just shows to go that Fox can really be morons when it comes down to it.

Yeah, I've been hearing more that the reports are bogus. Fox's sheepish lack of practicality and ambition really defy all common sense, no wonder big rumors get started. Surely if it took them this long to figure out what a good idea would be, the only two realistic explanations would be that they're really that stupid or that their latest dumpster fire made them desperate enough to make a deal with Marvel like Sony did.

Actually there is an 11'th season of Smallville...

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 21, 2015, 04:50:00 PM

About damn time! *cough* New Rocky movie only with Apollo Creed's kid... *cough* Honestly I'd like to see John Leguizamo come back and voice Clown/Violator unless they can get the animated Clown back.

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on October 22, 2015, 10:21:07 PM
Actually there is an 11'th season of Smallville...

About damn time! *cough* New Rocky movie only with Apollo Creed's kid... *cough* Honestly I'd like to see John Leguizamo come back and voice Clown/Violator unless they can get the animated Clown back.

11 seasons? Damn, that just rams the point even further. Come on, Fox, get it together!

Leguizamo could do other characters' voices and would probably take whatever parts he can get right now, but if he hasn't already been officially cast it probably won't happen. Still, the nostalgia value would be really high to get that many of the cast of the original movie to be on the show, even if only as cameos.

SapphireStar

They did a comic book version of Season 11 introducing Batman and Wonder Woman. Season 10 had its moments, but the episode with AC and Mera was kind of ruined when they used recycled footage from Season 4 episode introducing AC. They used the underwater footage from when he fought Clark under water and you see him wearing his tank top and his appearance is leaner.

Apparently, Peyton Reed is close to sealing the deal to direct Ant-Man and Wasp.

I wonder if they'll bring back Melinda Clark to play Jessica Priest?

Sasquatch421

I honestly think the only reason for the Season 11 comic, was because Buffy managed to pull it off. Don't remember if they continued doing Angel in comic book seasons though... I think I'm one of the few that honestly enjoyed Smallville. Chloe may or may not have been one of the reasons.

Quote from: SapphireStar on October 23, 2015, 08:37:45 AM
I wonder if they'll bring back Melinda Clark to play Jessica Priest?

Is it bad that the only reason I recognized Melinda Clark in the movie was because of Days of Our Lives? One of those big "Hey! Isn't that Faith?" moments.

Mathim

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on October 23, 2015, 11:45:14 AM
I honestly think the only reason for the Season 11 comic, was because Buffy managed to pull it off. Don't remember if they continued doing Angel in comic book seasons though... I think I'm one of the few that honestly enjoyed Smallville. Chloe may or may not have been one of the reasons.

Is it bad that the only reason I recognized Melinda Clark in the movie was because of Days of Our Lives? One of those big "Hey! Isn't that Faith?" moments.

Getting through the last few seasons definitely started to feel like a chore, I won't lie about that. The ending also confused the crap out of me.

Who is Melinda Clark/Jessica Priest?

Also, finally the OFFICIAL Jessica Jones trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

Watched it and thought to myself...is there really any reason they didn't have the ability to just show this before, when the first teaser dropped? It's not like a lot of it is really that technical, did they not have the practical special effects done yet or was it just confusing about how to edit it together just right? Because honestly, it couldn't have been that difficult, when it was meant to be released in its entirety in less than a MONTH.

My impression, though: This is going to be WAY darker than Daredevil. And I'm happy as hell about that.

CaptainNexus616

Does that really matter at this point? Its going to be recommended to anyone who watched Daredevil.  Marvel has been hitting home run after home run with there releases with the lowest being Iron Man 3. So factoring this in with the fact the last Netflix show Marvel did was a hit. The Hype Train is 100% real!