The Winter of Discontent [Recruitment; Pathfinder Golarion]

Started by Cythieus, October 13, 2014, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwheel

Let's try to play nice :P

We don't know who we'll be playing with, and better to make friends than... frenemies? ;D

Angie

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 17, 2014, 08:09:22 AM
Yup. One more HP.

What are you gonna do with that handaxe though, tickle something? pfft.
It's called being prepared. We're going to run into something that laughs off my crossbow, like a skeleton or a zombie, and then I will be prepared with extra weapons.

No joke, I've seriously seen a party almost get TPKed because nobody brought a slashing weapon to a zombie fight.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Ghostwheel

Chulanowa

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 17, 2014, 11:18:16 AM
It's called being prepared. We're going to run into something that laughs off my crossbow, like a skeleton or a zombie, and then I will be prepared with extra weapons.

No joke, I've seriously seen a party almost get TPKed because nobody brought a slashing weapon to a zombie fight.

Thankfully, this will never happen against skellingtons; so long as someone made a small race character, you ALWAYS have an improvised bludgeoning weapon  ;D

Pumpkin Seeds

:: munches on elven treats::

Just let them fight it out.  They're dwarves, it's what they do.

Angie

And considering the ranger has a Cha of 5, he's not exactly going to be doing much socializing. Everyone else can do the face stuff, he'll be the comic relief because he's so damn serious all the time.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 17, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
And considering the ranger has a Cha of 5, he's not exactly going to be doing much socializing. Everyone else can do the face stuff, he'll be the comic relief because he's so damn serious all the time.

My character experiences the problems of MAD as well :-(

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 17, 2014, 04:33:38 PM
Thankfully, this will never happen against skellingtons; so long as someone made a small race character, you ALWAYS have an improvised bludgeoning weapon  ;D

I don't think the ally would have quite as much fun :P

Blinkin

Not to worry, the Swashbuckler has a CHA of 15, so if she's in, the chatty one is covered.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

That's good *nod*. My character's got trap-finding, disarming, pick-pocketing, and general sneakiness down.

Cythieus

Good, we're getting more people and all, I'm going to push this back until Monday for the recruitment. Launch weekend at work and one of my best friend's birthdays so I'm beat.

Karma Sinclair

Is this still open? I don't have a character yet but I've been wanting to try Pathfinder.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Karma Sinclair on October 19, 2014, 02:25:41 PM
Is this still open? I don't have a character yet but I've been wanting to try Pathfinder.

Quote from: Cythieus on October 18, 2014, 01:25:30 PM
Good, we're getting more people and all, I'm going to push this back until Monday for the recruitment. Launch weekend at work and one of my best friend's birthdays so I'm beat.

You'd have less than a day, FWIW...

Cythieus

This is still technically open. I'll give one more applicant some more time. I spent the whole day sleep, but tomorrow I am going to start with the selection. I can work with just a concept if it's good enough.

Cythieus

Okay, that was plenty of time. Going over things and will get back to everyone later on tonight.

Cythieus

Big change in plans, going to just take everyone since there's such a nice distribution of character types. It might allow us to do some kind of wild things within the game and even split into two teams at times.

Here's our list of peoples and the like.

eBadger - male elven rogue
Muse - female halfling cleric
Ghostwheel - male tiefling monk
Blinkin - female human? swashbuckler
Jaded - female human oracle
pumpkin seeds - female elf wizard
chulanowa - female dwarven fighter
Tydorei - female elven inquisitor?
Angiejuusan - male dwarven ranger

If I could get everyone to PM me their character sheets or a link to it if you're using Mythweavers.

Ghostwheel

Cythieus, I would ask you to reconsider, even if it means that I'm one of the people that's cut from the list. In all of the system forum games where I've been in, DMs both tend to burn out incredibly quickly when trying to run two groups (especially when they tend to run on different time tracks due to people's posting speeds), and too many people (above 5-6 or so at the very most) leads to people usually getting confused as to who's doing what and what's going on, especially when it comes down to combat.

I say this not to be spiteful, but because I'd like to see an awesome game, and I fear what I've seen happen time after time after time, again and again when DMs try to run two groups at once.

eBadger

I partially disagree.  Breaking into two groups presents a lot of difficulties, time continuity being one of them (if one group is done with their scene and the other is not, it can easily make half your players sit around for a month or more without a chance to post).  I would avoid it. 

Larger groups, however, present more opportunities for interaction, which reduces the onus on the GM to provide plot, and frankly the way of E is that a third to half our group will be checked out/barely active within a month (I will never understand why).  Having enough players to be able to remove the inactives and still continue the adventure is very helpful. Similarly, combat can be a pain but it can also mean that moving along without waiting for one or two people to post isn't going to hamstring the entire group. 

Chulanowa

Nine people... is quite a crowd for a pathfinder group.

Angie

I think I'm with eBadger on this one. I'm also willing to sit this one out.

Blinkin

I would remind everyone of one little factor. The game is probably going to loose about half of it's players in the first 3 or 4 weeks. It's a known and proven fact with E and forum games. In spite of all of the best intentions, some of us will simply disapper rather quickly. So, I would be surprised if we have 4 or 5 players this time next month. If our DM wants to start with 9 players, I wuld be more in favor of 1 group and see what happens. The posting rate is going to be as slow as molasses in winter, but I can see some advantage to this. The game might survive after the drops and have some kind of decent sized core.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

Blinkin's right. 

And a game this big sin't such a  big deal in a playbypost format.  If we were around a tabletop, no one would get any attention, but when the GM has a few days at a time to sort out what everyone's doing it can be pretty easy. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

eBadger

She might get chilly :) 

Cool pic, though.  I like the pose and close up effect of the sword. 

Jaded

I am going to back out, sorry.  Have fun everyone. :-)

eBadger

Very bummed to see you go, Jaded!

For the rest of us, any status update/ETA on starting this?