Avira problem

Started by Serephino, June 20, 2016, 08:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

I got on this morning and logged onto E.  Then if I tried to click on anything I got redirected to Avira's upgrade website... the European one...  It got worse.  It got so I couldn't do anything without my browser opening with several tabs of Avira update page that would not close unless I went to the task manager and did it that way.  Removing Avira seems to have fixed it, but now I don't have antivirus.  What the hell....

midnightblack

I haven't used Avira personally, but I think it's a bit self-understood nowadays that "free" software that also comes with a "pro" upgrade will annoy the living daylight out of you in an attempt to take your money (or inject adware and other obnoxious things in your system to compensate).

I've been using avg free edition as an antivirus for better than a decade now and while the devs behind that product have been resorting to some not-so-chivalrous tactics as well, it's been nothing close to what you are describing. Then again, an antivirus won't really help out as far as online security goes if you have bad Internet habits. As long as you have a firewall on, a decent set of plugins in your browser to block scripts & ads and don't click on fishy links, you should actually be fine.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Lilias

I got rid of Avira after it failed to complete its sweeps for several days in a row (sweeps that slowed everything to a crawl for hours). I replaced it with Bitdefender, which is literally no-maintenance, and have been browsing happily and safely ever since.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caedy

I have been using avast for years and have had no problem.  I used Avaria for maybe 6 months or so several years ago and was never actually satisfied with it, thus my switch to Avast.
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

Nico

Yep. I only can recommend Avast. It's a very good protection and for free!