The Winged Ones (Supernatural, Horror)

Started by IStateYourName, January 07, 2014, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IStateYourName

Synopsis: Characters play townspeople and investigators in a small desert town in Arizona, circa 1940, where two murders have shocked the local folk.  Based loosely on the movie Gargoyles (not the cartoon series), with elements of Christian theology (also loosely interpreted), and Lovecraftian/gothic horror.

Content: Violence, explicit sex, non-consensual sex, sex with (anthropomorphic) monsters.

System: Freeform.  GM will set chances of random events, attacks, attempted feats, etc. and call for die rolls where appropriate.

The peaceful desert town of Twin Rocks, home to around 4,000 souls, has not seen deadly violence since 1931, when a drunk at the local tavern shot another man in a dispute over a woman.  Now two townspeople have been found gruesomely murdered, and another has vanished.  No one knows why.  Suspects include a Mexican motorcycle gang--outlaws with a reputation for trouble that have recently moved into the town.  However, when the sheriff picked up two of the bikers for questioning, both denied involvement, and in fact had alibis.  The local Church of St. Elsinore (Catholic denomination)'s priest has been muttering about some unseen evil, but few take him seriously.

News of the murders have reached the desk of the Sunrise Herald, a newspaper in Phoenix, and reporters have been sent to investigate.

Characters can include:

Locals
Mexican bikers
Newspaper reporters
Local cop
Transient
Church of St. Elsinore priest or nuns*

* Note that Catholicism is being used fictionally here; no relation to actual Catholic personnel or doctrine is intended.

Characters can be "good," "evil" or anything in-between, as this is not a single adventuring party.

Post interest of character concepts or questions here.

Roo

This looks interesting. Could I play a local who was perhaps connected to one of the murder victims and/or is also a big fan of Lovecraftian horror?
"Are you crazy, is that your problem?" -Jack Burton

KnightNelson20

IStateYourName

Quote from: Roo on January 07, 2014, 02:22:40 AM
This looks interesting. Could I play a local who was perhaps connected to one of the murder victims and/or is also a big fan of Lovecraftian horror?

Sure.

Robyn Hood

I'm interested. Thinking of playing a deputy investigating the murders.

IStateYourName

Three brave souls so far...when we get 5, I'll start the storyline.

IStateYourName

One more detail: each character will begin in his or her own thread, unless you want to arrange ahead of time to being the adventure partnered (or otherwise associated) with another character.

Roo

How would that work eventually? We would all merge into one thread then . . . or?

Also, can we wait until we have more people and everyone posts a character to decide if we want to be partnered or not?

IStateYourName

Quote from: Roo on January 08, 2014, 11:47:19 AM
How would that work eventually? We would all merge into one thread then . . . or?

Also, can we wait until we have more people and everyone posts a character to decide if we want to be partnered or not?

Sure.  Threads combining all depends on how the action unfolds.  But you can make the decision to begin partnered at any time.

IStateYourName

Roo

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 09, 2014, 11:12:41 AM
Go ahead and make characters.

Do you have a particular format you want us to employ for character write ups, or . . . just do whatever?

Faeli

I'll jump into this thing... I'll go ahead and make a transient, to offset our lawperson!

Brit Adams

Brittany Adams, known as Brit to those who know her on a personal level, is something of a stranger around town.  Callous, lewd, and socially unacceptable are words which can easily describe her, in fact there have been several who peg her as a prostitute, though little evidence exists to definitively earn her that label.

She doesn't work, and instead can be seen amidst any numbers of bars, dives, clubs, or seedy motels around town, usually on the arm of someone who has only known her a few days or weeks.  She is a lot of fun to have around, but also keeps her distance, rarely willing to talk about her past and utterly refusing any discussion of steady dating. 

She uses her body like an amusement park, and can be easily talked into putting any amount of liquor or drugs into it, an action that has landed her in handcuffs more than a few times.  Still, she isn't considered dangerous.  About the worst crime she has committed to people other than herself is cheating at cards.

IStateYourName

Quote from: Roo on January 10, 2014, 12:59:30 AM
Do you have a particular format you want us to employ for character write ups, or . . . just do whatever?

Just write the concept out.  I'll probably come up with a (rather abbreviated) character sheet format later.

IStateYourName

Quote from: Faeli on January 10, 2014, 03:00:42 AM
I'll jump into this thing... I'll go ahead and make a transient, to offset our lawperson!

Brit Adams

Brittany Adams, known as Brit to those who know her on a personal level, is something of a stranger around town.  Callous, lewd, and socially unacceptable are words which can easily describe her, in fact there have been several who peg her as a prostitute, though little evidence exists to definitively earn her that label.

She doesn't work, and instead can be seen amidst any numbers of bars, dives, clubs, or seedy motels around town, usually on the arm of someone who has only known her a few days or weeks.  She is a lot of fun to have around, but also keeps her distance, rarely willing to talk about her past and utterly refusing any discussion of steady dating. 

She uses her body like an amusement park, and can be easily talked into putting any amount of liquor or drugs into it, an action that has landed her in handcuffs more than a few times.  Still, she isn't considered dangerous.  About the worst crime she has committed to people other than herself is cheating at cards.

Looks fine to me.  Welcome aboard.

Roo

Miss Lehman is a young bachelorette who has just returned from her schooling at the College of Saint Mary-of-the-Wasatch, a private, Catholic women’s college run by the Sisters of the Holy Cross in Utah. While she was there she studied library science and has returned to her home town, Twin Rocks, AZ to work as an assistant librarian. She often hosts story time for the local children, attends church semi-regularly and lives quietly by herself in a small home. In her spare time Miss Lehman enjoys reading the Weird Fiction of Randolph Carter, the lives of saints, and books on early twentieth-century art. She sometimes writes in her small home in free time and would like to write her own series of children’s books and novellas.

IStateYourName

IStateYourName

So far we have two females, I'd love some males, especially bad guys, to balance it out.

Robyn Hood

Sorry about that! Life kinda got away from me a couple of days ^_^ Anyway:

Aja Brennan

Aja is the daughter of Mike Brennan, a popular ex-mayor of Twin Rocks although he and Aja’ mother had moved away to balmy Florida a few years ago to retire. She felt quite at home in the dusty town and even though she had opportunities to seek her fortune elsewhere, Aja was always drawn back home. Her father was an honest man and instilled that sense of duty in her. To the dismay of her parents though, she forgo marriage and sought an advanced education, going to Arizona State University to study to become a teacher.

Whenever she returned to town though she felt she could do more and struck up a father-like relationship with the Sheriff, Marcus Gelber, in hopes that she would eventual become a deputy and rise to Sheriff herself. Such a thing was unheard of but the war gave her an opportunity. Her father’s popularity and the Sheriff position being an elected one, Sheriff Gelber was eventually pressured to keep with the good graces of the town (and in no small part due to Aja’s attractiveness) to allow her to at least try her hand at being a deputy as so many of the young men of the town were off to fight the good fight.

Aja has only been in the position a handful of months when a gruesome murder took place.

IStateYourName

Good character.  Still looking for a couple more, preferably males, maybe bad guys...

Faeli

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 12, 2014, 05:32:51 PM
So far we have two females, I'd love some males, especially bad guys, to balance it out.

I think I might be a bit of a bad girl :)

IStateYourName

IStateYourName

Sorry, everyone.  Got bit by the flu.  But feeling a little better now.  Anyone else interested?

GypsyBook

Color me interested. I'll be play a male PC. I'll know concept better once I read through other people's characters. 

IStateYourName

Quote from: GypsyBook on January 26, 2014, 12:50:50 AM
Color me interested. I'll be play a male PC. I'll know concept better once I read through other people's characters.

Great.  Characters can be whatever shade of good or evil you like.

GypsyBook

Debating between styles.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Cthulhu-208345639
Transient fellow with a good, but sad heart. Has seen the dark side of humanity quite a bit being an off and on traveling salesmen, homeless man, and handy man. Has a simple understanding of occult matters having dealt with voodoo and superstitions in small towns and swamp lands.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Crazed-Arsonist-CoC-188363442
Transient fellow with a well hidden dark heart. Is part of the dark side of humanity being a traveling salesmen and arson hobbyist.