Beast: The Primodrial - American Legends (Interest Check, System, all welcome)

Started by eternaldarkness, August 17, 2016, 09:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

Beast version 2!  Based very loosely on the Beast of Gévaudan, Hack/Slash, Slasher, Friday the 13th/Halloween type movies, etc.   I couldn't find an image I liked, so I am using Jason for now.

Delphi is (was?) a bartender in (city), located not far from a local university.  A mainly student bar, before Delphi showed up it had numerous problems with organized crime, sexual predators, and local gang-bangers.  After she showed up, the problems seemed to stop.  There is an unspoken rule among those in the know, stay the fuck away if you plan to cause trouble.

A predator of predators, Delphi hungers after those who think they have, or crave, power.  She doesn’t always kill them, she’s quite happy to leave them feeling helpless, exposed, and afraid.  Her main fair are the bar types.  A man trying to roofie his date.  A tough guy who wants to show how bad-ass he is.  Her preference, however, is for things a bit worse.  When she’s in the mood, when she craves something special, she hunts Slashers, Vampires, and other so called alpha predators. 

Delphi doesn’t tend to get along with Vampires, Werewolves, and similar creatures.  She has an odd sympathy for Changelings and Prometheans, and often allows Changelings to feed in her bar as long as they’re respectful.

Delphi’s horror is still humanoid, but no longer human.  The proportions are all wrong, skin stretches over strange movements beneath, limbs lengthen and shorten, her jaw opens impossibly wide, and so on.  Occasionally it collapses entirely, into a swarm of alien arachnids, sometimes contained by her skin, sometimes not. 

Delphi Fairburn
Namtaru Tyrant

Aspiration: Defeat a True Fae
Aspiration: Own a bar
Aspiration:
Kinship: Changelings
Legend: Vicious
Life: Selfless

INT: 2       STR: 5       PRE: 2
WIT: 3       DEX: 2       MAN: 1
RES: 3       STA: 6       COM: 3

Willpower:  6
Size:       5
Health:    11
Speed:     16
Defence:    4 = 2+2
Initiative: 5
Satiety:    6

Armour: 3/2 or 4/3
        +2 vs Bashing, +2 vs Lethal
        Ignore first point of damage
        Heal 1B p/t, 1L p/30m, 1A p/3d

MENTAL (-3 unskilled*)
Academics:     
Computer:
Crafts:        1 – Jury Rigging
Investigation: 1
Medicine:      1
Occult:        2
Politics:     
Science:       

PHYSICAL (-1 unskilled)
Athletics:     2
Brawl:         2
Drive:         
Firearms:      1
Larceny:       
Stealth:       2
Survival:     
Weaponry:      5 - Machete

SOCIAL (-1 unskilled)
Animal Ken:
Empathy:       1
Expression:
Intimidation:  1
Persuasion:    1
Socialize:     2
Streetwise:
Subterfuge:    2 - Lying

LAIR (2)
3 max Chambers
3(/1) Traits
5 Skill Limit

Sealed Exits, Swarms?, Razored?

NIGHTMARES
You Cannot Run
You Are Not Alone

ATAVISMS
Atavisms
Birthright* : Optionally, after establishes contact (touch, eye contact, conversation),
              other character's composure is one lower.
Infestation (Namtaru)
             : Can squirm through any opening at least one foot in diameter.
                          speed halved, can’t use defence.
             lowSat: Can move up to normal speed while squirming.
                          takes bashing, not lethal, from firearms/piercing.
                          can give up defence to automatically inflict lair lethal vs attack.
             satExp: Turn into swarm with radius equal to 2*lair yards.  Damage shrinks.
Alien Allure (Makara)
             : +lair to all social rolls based on looks/attractiveness.
                          always starts with a good first impression.
             lowSat: Social rolls involving appearance count as exceptional with 3+ successes.
                          as long as avoid hard leverage, opening all doors gains charmed.
                          dramatic failure changes to hostile.
             satExp: Treated as having fame or status merit equal to (10-sat, max5)
                          ignore penalties up to lair when forcing doors.
Eye of Heaven (Ugallu)
             : For each turn spent studying, can learn one of
                          virtue/vice/aspiration/condition/tilt/weakness/wound/fate/destiny
             lowSat: If used first level, first attack is a surprise attack.
             satExp: Name victim’s foretold doom, single attack is a rote action.
Cyclopean Strength (Anakim)
             : Dead lift/shove/pull any object whose size does not exceed (Size * (Lair + 1)).
                          add lair as automatic successes on str+sta to perform feat of strength.
             lowSat: Anything can lift, can throw or use as an improved weapon.
             satExp: Gain automatic successes equal to lair on all str rolls.
Mimir’s Wisdom (Anakim)
             : Any mundane attempt to deceive automatically fails. 
                          knows when supernatural powers used to affect thoughts/perceptions.
                          once per chapter, request information from storyteller.
             lowSat: rote on mental skills aimed at sating hunger.  Untrained mental penalty -1.
                          knows one damning fact about anyone comes into physical contact.
             satExp: Gains int+lair in temp mental or library dots.
Relentless Hunter (Eshmaki)
             : heal one bashing p/t, one lethal p/half-hour, one agg per three days.
                          add lair on stamina+resolve to resist poisons/toxins.
                          stay awake/active 10-satiety before fatigue
             lowSat: downgrades damage equal to 2xlair at end of scene when hurt.
                          need not eat, drink, or rest as long as active pursing satiety.
             satExp: all bashing/lethal or agg equal to lair is immediately healed.
                          cannot be stunned or incapaciated, no penalties from injury.
Shadowed Soul (Namtaru)
             : Can see in total darkness as if broad daylight.
                          can merge with large shadows.
             lowSat: Extend senses through contiguous shadows. 
             satExp: Teleport to other shadows in sight. 
Unbreakable (Namtaru)
             : 3/2 general armour rating.
             lowSat: skin changes, gain 4/3 and does not suffer bashing if lethal reduced
             satExp: Firearms/melee cause bashing, bashing ignored, armour applies to agg

MERITS
Merits
Direction Sense (1) : Always know direction, no penalties to navigate.
  -Advanced (2)     : If has sensed something, can tell direction.
Striking Looks (2)  : +2 social rolls influenced by looks.
Sympathetic (2)     : At begin social maneuver, can accept Condition
                      to eliminate two doors.
Iron Skin (2)       : 2 armour vs bashing, willpower to downgrade 2
                      lethal to bashing.
  -Advanced (2)     : 2 armour vs lethal, willpower to downgrade 1
                      agg to lethal.  Doesn’t work on anathemas.
  -Epic (2)         : Ignore first point of damage from non-anathemas.
Epic Potential (1)  : Stamina can be 1 higher than normal max.
Indomitable (2)     : +2 dice to contest supernatural attempts to
                      influence mind.  If resisted, -2 from monster’s
                      pool.
Area of Expertise(1): +2 instead of +1 bonus on Machete specialty.
Eidetic Memory*     : Mimir’s Wisdom. No roll to recall past events.
                      +2 bonus to recall minute facts or vast swaths.

EXPERIENCE
+Resolve (4)
Indomitable (2)
+Stamina (4)
Iron Skin, Advanced (2)
+Stamina (4)
+Stamina (4)
Iron Skin, Epic (2)
+Strength (4)
4*4 Atavisms (16)
2*3 Atavisms (6)
+Strength (4)
+Lair (5)
+Weaponry (2)
Area of Expertise (1)

TheBlackThrone

Just so that I'm not going to spend points of pointless skills, you said that this is a suicide-style game, right? So are all the characters just captured, placed on a team, and forced to work to achieve a common goal? There won't ever be a sandbox period where they go about normal lives? Or is it they're going about their normal lives but when that shadowy agency calls them to work, they have to abandon everything to go handle whatever mission that agency has them do?

Also, how does this work when it comes to feeding and all that? Are the characters capable of switching to the monster forms or do they just always stay in their human form (not sure if you're going with your way or the manual's way)? My character may also be too unique for the Beast The Primordial skill options...but I'm still working my way through the document in combination with CoD 2.0 (for certain things) to create my character.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on August 25, 2016, 10:07:03 PM
Just so that I'm not going to spend points of pointless skills, you said that this is a suicide-style game, right? So are all the characters just captured, placed on a team, and forced to work to achieve a common goal? There won't ever be a sandbox period where they go about normal lives? Or is it they're going about their normal lives but when that shadowy agency calls them to work, they have to abandon everything to go handle whatever mission that agency has them do?

Also, how does this work when it comes to feeding and all that? Are the characters capable of switching to the monster forms or do they just always stay in their human form (not sure if you're going with your way or the manual's way)? My character may also be too unique for the Beast The Primordial skill options...but I'm still working my way through the document in combination with CoD 2.0 (for certain things) to create my character.

It's sort of in the spirit of Suicide Squad, but not every member was necessarily captured (though they could be). Some might have accepted VASCU's offer for other reasons such as having them do something that the Beast couldn't otherwise accomplish themselves. VASCU prefers willing participants to coerced, unwilling ones. Between episodes you can do whatever you want with whomever you want! In fact, feeding is expected to happen a lot during these periods, and your satiety when you go into an episode depends on how high or low your satiety is when you get called off on a mission.

As for how we're doing it, generally you look human (in the mortal world) unless you spend Satiety on an atavism. THEN your monstrous traits start showing through to anyone who can see you, with the exception of atavisms that by their very nature are intended to be subtle. If you need any help nailing the character concept mechanically, just ask away and i'll gladly help.

TheBlackThrone

If you guys want to start without me, then that's fine. I am still trying to work the kinks out. I didn't get a chance to this weekend because I was too busy having an awesome weekend  ^-^. But I'll eventually reach completion now that the GM has answered all my inquiries.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

eternaldarkness

Everyone who is done with characters go ahead and post them in the character thread and we'll get this going sometime later today.

TheGlyphstone

I still had 10XP left to burn, and I wasn't sure what to do with it. I can just dump it into combat skills, which would fit the concept, but I wasn't sure what skill you'd have us rolling if we needed to track/follow someone (Survival seems to be only for animals).

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 29, 2016, 10:18:28 AM
I still had 10XP left to burn, and I wasn't sure what to do with it. I can just dump it into combat skills, which would fit the concept, but I wasn't sure what skill you'd have us rolling if we needed to track/follow someone (Survival seems to be only for animals).

Survival is what you'd roll regardless of what kind of animal you're tracking - even the human animal :)

TheGlyphstone

VioletPanda

Just need to add the extra XP, but I will look those uses tonight after work! Tis almost done~

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Aka Manto

Note: While the Aka Manto is Japanese in Origin, spirits or monsters who punish are an almost universal trait in cultures across the world.

Family: Eshmaki
Hunger: Hunger for Punishment

Aspirations
-Long-Term: Keep the stupid college kids in line
-Short-Term 1: None
-Episode Aspiration:

Life: Honest
Legend: Unexpected/Watchful

Description: Though only other Beasts can see her non-human form, it is manifest in her thin frame and delicate 'painter's fingers'. She is also rather petite, at only five  foot two, with dark hair to her shoulders. There are no bald spots, though her hair is rather thin.
Horror Image:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

History:   Alicia was always different. Even though she never understood the difference until college, when she came into her Horror, children in school did as they often did and she was the target of bullying. And her nights were worse than her days, being stalked at night by something couldn't see. She was afraid of the dark as a child, though it was after she left home that this really began to bother her.

She was not used to having roommates, she was not used to sounds in the middle of the night, or that too quiet hush as she walked home from night classes that made the hair on the back of her neck stand up even though she couldn't see anyone around. Was it any wonder the nightmares started up again?

After the Devouring, she realized what it was that had always set her apart and it was a major relief to finally know why she'd had the dreams. And even more important, she knew they had a purpose; there were so many people who got away with things, in the dark. Crimes they had thought no one else would ever find out about. Maybe they killed someone. Maybe it was one of those crimes that never healed even after years, like a home invasion. Her Horror doesn't care who is punished, for any transgression, so long as there is punishment. But Alicia likes to think -and tries to make it so- that what she does has a higher purpose.

There's apparently this agency that wants to study her or something- what they want she doesn't care about matter to her as long as they don't get in her way and defend the idiots who brought their punishment on themselves.

Attributes 5/4/3
Intelligence 1
Wits 2
Resolve 2

Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 3

Presence 1
Manipulation 1
Composure 1

Skills 11/7/4
Mental 4
Academics 1
Computer 1
Crafts
Investigation 2
Medicine 1
Occult 1
Politics
Science 
Technology
Theology

Physical 11
Athletics  2
Brawl  1
Drive  1
Firearms
Larceny 0
Stealth  4
Survival 3
Weaponry

Social 7
Animal Ken
Empathy 1
Expression 1
Intimidation 1
Persuasion
Socialize
Streetwise 2
Subterfuge 2

Merits
Small-Framed (2)

Lair:

Satiety: 7

Health: 8

Willpower: 6

Atavisms
From the Shadows
Mimir’s Wisdom

Nightmares
You Deserve This
Run Away

Size: 4
Speed: 10
Defense: 6
Armor:
Initiative Mod: 6
Beats: 0
Experiences: 60/60
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

TheGlyphstone

Oh, and I don't think I ever got an answer to the question of if Wings of the Raptor would work for me when I was mounted/riding a motorcycle.

ShadowFox89

Still trying to think of an exact concept to use for this. Monster that is always just at the corner of your eye? Kinda like Slenderman I suppose.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

When in doubt, tap classical mythology, and if you can't find anything suitably in Western/European lore, go to other cultures. There's some seriously freaky stuff in various Asian and African cultural myths.

VioletPanda

My A/A PageMy O/Os

eternaldarkness

Yeah, definitely draw on other cultures and tell me how that monster made it to america. Get those characters done so we can start this party!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 29, 2016, 01:57:19 PM
Oh, and I don't think I ever got an answer to the question of if Wings of the Raptor would work for me when I was mounted/riding a motorcycle.

Pokety poke.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

LordRod

So should I just make something up for my custom night mare? And if so can I pitch some others?

Do you allow flaws btw? (are those a thing in nWOD?)
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

eternaldarkness

Chronicles of Darkness/GMC uses a different way of handling flaws. You can have as many as you feel appropriate for the character but unlike previous editions they don't give you bonus points at character creation. Instead, every time that flaw or complication comes up in play and causes your character difficulty you get to take a Beat. So more inconvenient flaws will yield more experience, and you can make them up yourself.

ShadowFox89

Hey ED, wouldn't happen to be able to hop on AIM so I can bounce character ideas at you, would you?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

LordRod

That's neat.  I'll have to do that.  Do we have an ooc discussion thread yet btw?
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

VioletPanda

I should be able to add the bonus points after work today,  I hope!

My A/A PageMy O/Os

TheLaughingOne

Hello!! Was peeking on this group while undergoing approval, and now that im ok, was wo dering might be a slot open still...

Also! Shadowfox, you were looking for a corner of the eye monster...? Might i suggest the "Hidebehind" north american monster cspable of contorting its body to hide behind anything near by, used to hunt loggers way back, best known protection being drinking... Alot.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!