News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Do what I did. Buy the parts and case and pay a technician to put it all together. They charge a fee, but it's a better option then just buying a whole PC.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 12, 2013, 11:23:00 AM
Do what I did. Buy the parts and case and pay a technician to put it all together. They charge a fee, but it's a better option then just buying a whole PC.
It's kind of a moot point, I've got no job. XD

It's just a game of what if really.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on June 12, 2013, 10:51:34 AM
Only skimmed Google, no idea how accurate this report is.

They said it at the press conference that the ps4 will be able to stream ps3.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Slywyn

Quote from: Inkidu on June 12, 2013, 11:09:34 AM
If I knew anything about building a PC I'd go for it. I wouldn't even know where to start. :P

Besides, if I'm going to build my own rig I don't want to have to touch it for at least five years. :\

That is almost impossible now.

Any computer you make, with the speed that things are being updated, is obsolete almost as soon as you build it. If you want to keep top of the line you're going to have to update it.

My computer was fucking awesome two years ago and now it struggles with the graphics of some online games.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Moraline

Quote from: Sabby on June 12, 2013, 10:51:34 AM
Only skimmed Google, no idea how accurate this report is.
It's accurate. They announced it at the press conference. They are going to have more then just PS3 games, it's going to include the back catalog for PS1 & PS2 as well eventually.

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 12, 2013, 11:02:22 AM
A good gaming PC is going to cost a bit, it's cheaper to get the parts.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013741/build-a-killer-windows-8-gaming-pc-for-under-1-000.html
Few suggestions here for PC's that are barely over the $1000 USD mark but are top notch gaming rigs and you don't have to build them yourself:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=175159.0

It's almost silly to build your own computer these days. Most of the time someone out there is selling all the parts at a discounted rate pre-built.  The only time it's really worth it, is if you spend the time to pick and choose your parts slowly and buy them at really great deals.  ...but then you gotta wait for it and if you don't know how to build a computer then it's doubling annoying because you have to wait for a friend's help.

So, while building can be a good option, it's rarely worth it these days. Usually once you factor in the cost of an OS, it ends up being cheaper to buy a cheap pre-built rig. (Not always, but usually.)

Inkidu

Quote from: Slywyn on June 12, 2013, 12:32:25 PM
That is almost impossible now.

Any computer you make, with the speed that things are being updated, is obsolete almost as soon as you build it. If you want to keep top of the line you're going to have to update it.

My computer was fucking awesome two years ago and now it struggles with the graphics of some online games.
Yeah, that's my fucking problem with PCs. At least with a console you know it's going to play the damn games. A PC is obsolete when you take it out of the box. :P

My point was that it's never been possible.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on June 12, 2013, 12:58:26 PM
It's accurate. They announced it at the press conference. They are going to have more then just PS3 games, it's going to include the back catalog for PS1 & PS2 as well eventually.
Few suggestions here for PC's that are barely over the $1000 USD mark but are top notch gaming rigs and you don't have to build them yourself:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=175159.0

It's almost silly to build your own computer these days. Most of the time someone out there is selling all the parts at a discounted rate pre-built.  The only time it's really worth it, is if you spend the time to pick and choose your parts slowly and buy them at really great deals.  ...but then you gotta wait for it and if you don't know how to build a computer then it's doubling annoying because you have to wait for a friend's help.

So, while building can be a good option, it's rarely worth it these days. Usually once you factor in the cost of an OS, it ends up being cheaper to buy a cheap pre-built rig. (Not always, but usually.)

1200 USD for a comp I'm planning to get so I can give my wife the one I am on.  16gb ddr5 ram, eight core AMD 4.0 GHz processor and a GTX 660 ti 2gb.  Comes with self sustaining hydro cooling and if needed I can buy fans.   

Florence

PC.

BUT, for the sake of argument, if I had to decide which one I'd rather buy, PS4 wins hands down. But honestly, I'm not thrilled with either one. But the PS4, at least, I only really have 1-2 complaints with, the Xbox One is just... a massive joke really. I can't find a single redeeming quality in the system. I won't even bother pointing out the problems with them, because I'm sure it would just echo what dozens of people have already said. Microsoft really screwed the pooch with this one.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

SinXAzgard21

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Koren

I find the above article pretty cool actually

Its nice to see that while Sony has taken the move to make multiplayer a paid service, which is fair enough really even if it sucks after having ps3 free, but they arent enforcing that on games that would be free otherwise.

Chris Brady

Even new ones, like Warframe (which is f2p) won't have, either.  According to Digital Extremes.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Sony is really just kicking MS while it is down...  And I am fucking loving it.

Chris Brady

Thing is, I don't think Sony is doing it on purpose.  I mean, a lot of these presentations are rehearsed and set up weeks in advanced.  They don't have time to actually wonder how to counter the competition.  They just gotta go out there and do what they plan and hope for the best.

As a podcast that I listened to recent, it's just that Sony brought a nuke to a fist fight.

BOOM!

Inkidu

What'd they do? Steal Microsoft's lunch money and give them a wedgie? Details!

Most one-sided fight in console history is shaping up here, people.

Chris Brady

Everything that we posted here, Inkidu.   The lower price point, the no restrictions of used games.  The Free to Play rules saying that the publisher doesn't need to use PS+ for their game...

They are just beating Microsoft bloody.

Inkidu

At this point you've got to wonder if Microsoft is going to have a camp for the console war, at least one that will by more than CoD and Madden.

(Not saying those are bad, but there's a certain demographic that seems to buy those games exclusively)

Moraline

Quote from: Inkidu on June 13, 2013, 06:04:25 AM
What'd they do? Steal Microsoft's lunch money and give them a wedgie? Details!

Most one-sided fight in console history is shaping up here, people.
Yes. Sony pretty much beat MS up and took their lunch money, girlfriend, and homework. It looks pretty bad for MS at this point.

Here's a handy list:

Note:
PS+ is cheaper then Xbox Gold
PS+ is going to give away 4 free games a month to it's subscribers
Xbox Gold is giving away 2 free games a month to it's subscribers
(Obviously quality of free game will play a major factor but Sony announced they were giving away a couple of their major titles)
~ http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/03/playstation-plus-in-june-five-free-games

Inkidu

It's still really internet heavy, about the most I'm willing to do is Steam activation. I doubt I get four free games in the mail. :P

Jude

For the record, you can build a gaming PC that will play everything for years to come just fine. I paid roughly $600 for mine 2 1/2 years ago now and I haven't encountered anything I can't run. To be fair, there's a lot I can't max out (and that will continue to be the case), but things will be perfectly playable for me for a few more years. If I'd been more cautious/knowledgeable at the time, I could've shaved another 100 bucks off of that easily too. And the price difference between PC & Console is easily absorbed by cheaper games given how many bundles/sales occur that you just wouldn't see on the console side.

If there's demand, I can do a build off of newegg in a separate thread to give people an idea of how much it would cost to build a decent gaming PC setup today. I'm gonna guess around ~$600 if you already own a TV/monitor you can use with it.

Oreo

Jude, any chance you might be willing to write that up as an article for the Herald and Post?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Jude

Yeah, I could probably do that.

EDIT: I'll have to see about my general workload first, since writing up a full article would take a lot more time and mindshare :P

Oreo

SWEET!! Sending a PM.

That reminds me, since it is a topic of interest, if anyone would like to do an objective, comprehensive review of the XBone vs the PS4 for the Herald, shoot me a PM.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

ShadowFox89

That assumes someone would buy them both and still be objective :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Slywyn

Quote from: Oreo on June 13, 2013, 01:01:21 PM
SWEET!! Sending a PM.

That reminds me, since it is a topic of interest, if anyone would like to do an objective, comprehensive review of the XBone vs the PS4 for the Herald, shoot me a PM.

Betcha can't do it if you don't own both. =p
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.