Need help purchasing a hard drive

Started by Evil Tim, August 21, 2013, 01:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Tim

The time has come to upgrade my computer with more RAM and a new hard drive.  The problem I'm having is my computer has a unique...ailment.

When I bought the computer unbeknownst to me and the man I bought it from, the SATA cable running from the hard drive to the motherboard was a faulty cable.  By the time we found out (after problems had already started to the point I couldn't even run my computer) the damage had been done and now the SATA connectors on my motherboard are completely shot.  The hard drive I'm using now connects to the motherboard via ribbon cable.

I'm wanting to buy a terrabyte hard drive but I'm not sure if they sell ones that connect to the hard drive by ribbon cables.  If anyone can help me find one like that I'd really appreciate it.

Oniya

They appear to be a vanishing breed - have you considered using an external 1TB that connects via USB?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Evil Tim

That seems to be my best bet.  Sucks that my SATA jacks are dead.  Only way to fix them would be a completely new motherboard.

Hades

I'm not sure if they will have what you're looking for or not, but I use NewEgg for when I buy new computer components.

makizushi

Unfortunately it sounds like you need a new motherboard. At this point I would recommend going through NewEgg and customizing a computer with a new case, motherboard, processor, hard drive, and then use your own CD-rom and new RAM you got. Make sure the RAM you purchased is compatible with the motherboard!!!

klamity

I'll say what they said: sounds like you need a new motherboard. I know its costly, but its the best option, since the rest of the computer is based off the performance of the motherboard.

kylie

If you do get into building your own machine, [H]ardForum is another good place you can check out for advice on what to get, and even how to go about assembling it.

Some major geek debates and a lot of details/ shorthand flying around in there, but generally good stuff.