Slowdown notice

Started by Vekseid, April 13, 2013, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Between Blue Moon setting pm caps and my other alterations there, slowdowns are 100% caused by pulling Elliquiy data from disk, now.

Am working on purchasing and setting up a new remote backup server, also to function as a secondary host for a 'status' site as well as hosting the various minor sites I own and manage. This will replace our current remote backup, and I'll move most of the current slave server's functions over (Everything except DNS and slaving, really), shutting that down as well.

This will completely break search, rather than just being broken for new posts, until we get moved to a new server. Connection to mumble might improve or degrade - not sure. If it degrades, I'll move it to the new slave server on our new host.

I'll hopefully make a more detailed post regarding fundraising, etc. soon. I am sorry this is taking so long, everyone. I know people are frustrated.

Viper

>.>

<.<

>.>

I dunno if its just me...or maybe I am not online long enough to notice...but elliquiy seems to be running fine for me...unless it is a problem I can not see myself. *has no understanding what so ever about computers, servers, or running a internet site*

Vekseid

Generally, it only happens when 16 people are reading something that requires info to be pulled from disk at the same time.

Meliai

We understand Mr. Veks! Thanks for all your hard work ♥
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

LunarSage

Question.  If a lot of members were to delete most of their PMs, would it help?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Vekseid

No.

The amount of PMs really only affects you.

Vekseid

Alright.

New remote backup server ordered, hopefully will be up tomorrow afternoon. This is just raw hardware - I still need to install the OS, configure everything, etc. I typically spent a month dinking around with things with previous orders, but hopefully the fact that I am a great deal more experienced with such things now will speed that up significantly >_>

It should give us a little bit more breathing room.

LunarSage

That's great news Veks.  Thank you so much.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Beguile's Mistress

*leaves cookies and the beverage of your choice*

Lord Drake

*leaves beer*

Thanks Veks, the site right now seems almost frozen PM-wise so I really hope this will be a breather for us.

Thank you for all your awesome work!
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Remy

Not sure if posting lags is still required, but for the first time in a while, it's taken me almost 6 minutes to access the site just now.  Completely down.  It's Dublin time, so would have happened between 8.01 and 8.07 if that helps.

Vekseid

No need to report anything.

One way or another I'm getting Elliquiy to a better server by July.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Vekseid on April 22, 2013, 04:21:37 AM

You rock and we all appreciate you lots!!!! =)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Dovel

Quote from: Vekseid on April 22, 2013, 04:21:37 AM

Thank you Veks for all the effort you put into this and for getting us a better server. Everyone really appreciates all the work you do.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Rogue

Quote from: Dovel on April 22, 2013, 06:56:00 PM
Thank you Veks for all the effort you put into this and for getting us a better server. Everyone really appreciates all the work you do.

+10000000....000000000 Insert so many zeros it hurts my head.

Vekseid

It turns out one of the websites I was hosting was being hit by spammers so hard, it was responsible for a quarter of the server's traffic.

Didn't notice because I wasn't watching disk usage. Being limited to two processes at once, spammers can only stuff it so full... it wasn't actually possible for a human being to see the site. It was only able to take an eighth of the server's resources... but it was doing so constantly.

Anyway, I've just turned it off, and am cleaning up its database. Spammers are just bouncing off of nginx now of which the server's request/second limit is a six digit number.

Really ashamed I didn't notice.

Still going through with the server, else we'll be in a worse pickle next year.

Formless

I'm not well versed in tech stuff.
You've got so much to handle ,We're thankful to have the website to begin with.

I wanted to show my gratitude is all.

So thank you. :)

Lord Drake

I am adding my personal admiration to the gratitude.

It is beginning to dawn on me that our Veks is not only helpful, relentles and a really hard worker but it is also damn good at his job.

>_>

Wow...
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

rahatngt

Its actually great that its something easily fixable like shutting the site off rather than fixing the forum or redesigning it I guess :).
Thanks for making it all work.