Legend of the Five Rings - Samurai Fantasy- {Interest Check}

Started by Pumpkin Seeds, September 12, 2011, 10:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

I felt compelled to put up a thread seeking interest in a Legend of the Five Rings game.  There don’t seem to be many, if any, going on right now and I find that a shame since the world is so rich and vibrant.  So I would love if someone would run a game set in the Legend of the Five Rings universe.  In particular if they used the new 4th edition rule set.  Still I understand if someone prefers the old systems and that is fine for me as well, except for the d20 system. 

Is there anyone else out there that wants to play or run a Legend of the Five Rings game.  Please speak up and maybe we can get something going on Elliquiy.

LightNight

I know the game well Seeds & you are right about its world, I'm realy surpised there is not many roleplays about it already.
Enjoy the Fantasy just don't live your fantasy.

kckolbe

I would definitely be interested in playing in L5R, either 3rd or 4th edition.  I would gladly help run, but would strongly prefer to not be the primary GM.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kirinis

I'm very much interested in L5R and I would be interested in playing.  I do have a story concept I would be willing to test try, but it needs some more time to cook.  Too much ambition and not enough practical grounding for it to actually take off.  So for the meantime, if someone's interested in running a game, I wouldn't say no at all.

HairyHeretic

I've been running a 4th ed L5R game on mumble, using the old 1st ed City of Lies campaign setting. We're almost at the end of the Night of a Thousand Screams, which I used as an intro to the campaign.

I'm going on to a new shift now (nights) so will be putting it on hold til I settle into the new shift, then will see who wants to play on at it. I may have slots free.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Muse

It's one of those games I'd rather have a good chance to play before I tried to run, but I'd love to run. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Altair1983

Raises hand  Yes im so up for this. and lets up remember we must shun the abomination you must not refer to the evil the wizards of the coast let out into the world.

Pumpkin Seeds

So now we just need someone to want to run a game.  And I know there are more ladies out there that love these samurai stories!  I know I can't be the only one.

arikelillusion

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 12, 2011, 04:59:03 PM
So now we just need someone to want to run a game.  And I know there are more ladies out there that love these samurai stories!  I know I can't be the only one.

you are not the only one! ;) -waves- love it too!
but i dont think i could run the game...
Anxiously
wildly
madly
My body is calling you
"On fire"!!

Enigmaticx18

I'm interested aswell, I have a ungodly love for the Samurai era. However I may have played DnD before but i am not that familiar with it. I'm still a noob *scratches head* Hope that wouldn't be a problem as i do learn things easy

Kirinis

Hmm...after much deliberation and locking my instinct for self-preservation in the cupboard, I will give running a campaign a roll.  Now before I start making grandiose statements, I would like to take a sample survey from the people currently here on what they would be interested to have in a Emerald Empire campaign.

1] Is there a particular era you would like to play in?

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.]

3] What elements would you prefer not to play a bigger role in this campaign?

4] Multi-clan party or single clan?

5] What you want to get out of the game?

And also if you have anything you want to address, feel free to speak up.  I'll factor it all into my campaign plan.

Enigmaticx18

Quote from: Kirinis on September 13, 2011, 10:56:01 AM
Hmm...after much deliberation and locking my instinct for self-preservation in the cupboard, I will give running a campaign a roll.  Now before I start making grandiose statements, I would like to take a sample survey from the people currently here on what they would be interested to have in a Emerald Empire campaign.

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.]

And also if you have anything you want to address, feel free to speak up.  I'll factor it all into my campaign plan.

Count me in, It'll be one of my first but hey have to start somewhere.

1. Honestly since this is a Samurai era, i was thinking towards the end of the era. Where gun's are being Implemented. I love the stories about Samurai still fighting Valiently against rebels or emperor armies who started using guns and Cannons. That's just me though, i don't mind what kind of era we rp in.

2. Focus upon the clans really, IE: Shingemumi if i spelled that correctly. Mind as well call them the Mibu Wolves, If that's an option i would love to play one of them.

3. Actually i don't have any that i wouldn't prefer.

4. Multi-Clan Party, it brings about more personalities than just a single clan would.

5. Fun with other fellow samurai rpers.

kckolbe

Enigmatic, we are talking about a specific setting called Legend of the Five Rings, not just a generic oriental campaign.

As for Era, I am fond of the Four Winds era, but definitely open to other periods, like Steel Chrysanthemum or Clan War.  In general, I would like to not start after 1159, as I feel the setting got kinda nuts after that.

Elements, eh?  *I* am a fan of the Kaeru (a ronin family) pre-Lion, personally, and love other concepts that don't really fit but have become part of the culture.

I would love if Yoritomo Kumiko never existed or at least was executed for concealing the taint.  I hate her.  I am also okay without the other realms being prominent.

No preference on #4, depends on the story

Just looking for a good story.

If courtiers are present, I would suggest some house rules for making them a little more diverse.  Every courtier can be a great courtier by just stacking Awareness.  I would make Etiquette based on Willpower, and games on Int, spreading them out a bit.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

rancorius

Muse

*Grins* 

Awesome Kirinis. 

Are you looking at 4th edition?  Or an earlier? 

I have some experience, but I'm not sufficiently versed with the metaplot to really have preferences yet. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LightNight

Quote from: Kirinis on September 13, 2011, 10:56:01 AM

1. I personaly like the Destoryer war as it was major event in the timeline as well was alote of combat but would not mind doing it after the war as well.
2. Elements well not realy sure I have to say I'm not much for Court stuff. -mumbles some thing about weak crane-
3. Not sure about this one.
4. Multi-clan it more interesting as most my chars I have done have some to do with two clans not just one.
5. Not realy sure just to see what happens next.
Enjoy the Fantasy just don't live your fantasy.

Pumpkin Seeds

1.   I do prefer stories that are set earlier in the history, but in truth I have no real preference for an era.

2.   I am a big fan of playing warriors and so obviously do enjoy the martial aspect of the game.  That being said I do like courtly intrigue and politics.  One of my favorite aspects of the game is how even a great warrior must play the game of politics if they want to advance socially.  I think this is especially true for a female character that has to worry about marriage and producing children as a duty to their family and Clan.  I enjoy playing out those aspects.

3.   I am not a big fan of High Magic as in..Gods and Dragons coming down on high regularly.  I like those elements to be played as life changing events, not over sake and rice cakes.

4.   Multi-party is fine, but I do like group cohesion.  So characters need to be willing to at least work together.

5.   Fun for me is when I feel like my character has left something behind them.  Whether that be a budding legacy with a child they worked hard to get into prestigious schools, altered the future of Rokugan somehow or obtained a difficult goal.

arikelillusion

1. i dont have any spacial era.. for me any era is good...
2. i like the court intrigue...
3. dont have any that i dont like playing
4. multi clan, but i dont mind single one too...
5. fun =)
Anxiously
wildly
madly
My body is calling you
"On fire"!!

LordAnubis

I would have to join the list of people who wsnt to play, but not run. I am running two games with my local people and do not want to add a third run until i get to play.

Personally any era is fine with me.

I would like court and the politics of it. Otherwise ypu only have half the world.

Have not found any elements i dislike.

Small multiclan, one or two clans. Unless they are assigned to an emerald magistrate.

I want to build towards some accomplishment with the chance to fail. If it is just given then it feels empty.

Altair1983

1] Is there a particular era you would like to play in? Any Era is fine with me

2] What elements of the setting would you like to see more of? [Court intrigue, Kolat/Gozoku, Peasants, etc.] A healthy mix of everything is always good

3] What elements would you prefer not to play a bigger role in this campaign? N-A

4] Multi-clan party or single clan? Multi clan always makes for good roleplay. Also not exactly a clan but would definitely like to see ronin thrown in for good measure.

5] What you want to get out of the game? Well first to have fun and build a intriguing  story that includes and draws together the player characters.

kckolbe

Vek, I see you peeking!  By the way, a new female member named Idariel is interested, but feeling pretty sick right now.

Intro Thread

Lady Kitsune

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 13, 2011, 01:54:50 PM
1.   I do prefer stories that are set earlier in the history, but in truth I have no real preference for an era.

2.   I am a big fan of playing warriors and so obviously do enjoy the martial aspect of the game.  That being said I do like courtly intrigue and politics.  One of my favorite aspects of the game is how even a great warrior must play the game of politics if they want to advance socially.  I think this is especially true for a female character that has to worry about marriage and producing children as a duty to their family and Clan.  I enjoy playing out those aspects.

3.   I am not a big fan of High Magic as in..Gods and Dragons coming down on high regularly.  I like those elements to be played as life changing events, not over sake and rice cakes.

4.   Multi-party is fine, but I do like group cohesion.  So characters need to be willing to at least work together.

5.   Fun for me is when I feel like my character has left something behind them.  Whether that be a budding legacy with a child they worked hard to get into prestigious schools, altered the future of Rokugan somehow or obtained a difficult goal.

What she said.... :P

I have only been newly introduced to L5R but I really like it.  I do have some of the books.  I will throw my hat in.
I am working on it, I swear!

Kirinis

Alright, I neglected to ask an additional question.  I'm fine with running either 3rd or 4th editions.  But I'll run the edition that everyone has the books for.  So sound off on which edition you would prefer.