Religion Class Final Project

Started by Opheliac, November 29, 2009, 12:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opheliac

So my final project is we have to attend a religious ritual in a religion not our own, and write an ethnography on it. Rough draft is due monday, but the buddhist Shotsuki Hoyo service isnt until next sunday... Can I get a buddhist to explain and describe the service to me, so i can have a general outline to turn in? Google searches and such has ended in failure. :(

Kotah

Hehehe.

Do your final on atheist.

Stay our ritual is to stay home,  play video games until the early morning, and sleep in.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

Sabby

Moonsword

The irony here is that until I posted, you were the only guy in the thread. ;D
Doing better now.  I think.  We'll see.

Oniya

http://www.buddhist-temples.com/buddhism-facts/buddhism-ritual.html

This might be useful.  It doesn't give a detailed description of the monthly memorial service, but it might give you enough to go on until you can attend.

Is there a reason that you selected that service in particular?  It seems to be somewhat more specialized than a 'typical' service (something analogous to a Catholic's weekly service).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Opheliac

I chose it because its was the next service I could go to and have time to request it off of work. I work all day sundays, and I had to give my boss notice before he put the schedule up.

Oniya

Sounds reasonable - just curious :-)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

Quote from: Kotah on November 29, 2009, 01:32:27 AM
Do your final on atheist.

Stay our ritual is to stay home,  play video games until the early morning, and sleep in.
I'm under the impression that atheists don't subscribe to the notion of a deity, but religions do...?

Cythieus

Quote from: kylie on November 30, 2009, 05:04:26 AM
     I'm under the impression that atheists don't subscribe to the notion of a deity, but religions do...?

There are atheistic religions, for one to be an atheist all they have to do is not believe in a god. But religions don't necessarily have to have a god either.

HairyHeretic

I think that depends on your definition of a religion, and the only one I can think of offhand that doesn't necessarily have a deity or deities at the top is some sects of Buddhism.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cythieus

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 02, 2009, 01:43:48 PM
I think that depends on your definition of a religion, and the only one I can think of offhand that doesn't necessarily have a deity or deities at the top is some sects of Buddhism.
I think its mostly eastern religions that can be counted, but some just have ideals about how to live and the like.

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure ideals would be enough to be considered a religion though. A philosophy maybe?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Moonsword

Eastern religions and philosophical paths, like some earlier Western sets, but not more recent ones, tend not to be mutually exclusive, and defining something as a religion in Western terms that isn't Western can be difficult.
Doing better now.  I think.  We'll see.