News:

Main Menu

Movies and why...

Started by Sugarman (hal), March 09, 2007, 07:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sugarman (hal)

Ok I wonder what movies turn you on.

Please and a (why) as it will make the topic more interesting.  ;D

Gettysburg... I found this movie as one of my favorite because it treys to show both sides of the Civil War in a evenhanded way. It's more about courage and duty then anything. In my book it rates an A. Although the extras show slight signs of amateur the principles do a excellent. The whole thing gives a feel of reality... my opinion  ;D
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

CaptainErotica

A pretty tough question to answer since htere are so many that I like. I loved the American Pie movies simply because I had so much in common with each of the guys(I was such a shy, geeky kid in school, who somehow managed to pul loff a few Stifler, or Oz moments).
   Of course I'm a huge Star wars fan, even though i was disapointed in the newest three, I stil lthought htey wer pretty good, with the third one being my second favorite of the bunch, behind Empire Strikes Back. Something about being a jedi just had an appealing nature to it for me, though I'd proably succomb to my emotions and slide to the Dark Side.
  There are so many others, but one more that deserves mention is What Women Want. I thought it did a pretty good job of ashowing just how much of a curse being able to read women's minds, despite the obvious benefits. That such, I'd love to have that ability.

RogueJedi

It is hard for me to say, since I work within the industry.  I still say that one of the greatest moments in all of film is in Casablanca when Laszlo gets the entire club to sing Le Marseillaise (sp?).  But that is me...

shadowheart

I have to go with the first movie I remember seeing in the theater as a kid (geez this will age/date me!  Gah! oh well!) 

Star Wars.  The real original .. Episode "4"

The opening scene alone blew my young mind away .. of the rebel blockade runner being chased by the star destroyer.

I still love that movie.

CaptainErotica

*Yoda voice* Old you are not. When look like me old you will be.

TheAlchemist

Casablanca is my 2nd favourite movie of all time, and I agree with RJ - it's a great scene. My #1 however, is Blade Runner. Brilliantly made, and chock-full of things to think about. #3 is the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup. Pure Genius comedy.

Spookie Monster

I'm in Robguy's boat: There are so many movies that I enjoy that it would be difficult for me to cover the many whiches and whys.  I would like to get involved with this thread, though, particularly because I myself was planning to start a similar thread this weekend - ha!  Therefore, I'm going to mention just a few movies that I like.  They're some of my favorites, but not my very very favorites, if that makes sense.*

The Thing.  Despite the glaring mistakes (e.g., the day-night transitions, the weather, the fact that the outer wall of the station looks like it's only about an inch thick) within it, I'm freakin' bonzo for this movie.  It takes a very simple concept, runs with it, and doesn't get bogged down in the details.  Whenever I watch it I can't help but be impressed by the way John Carpenter and the script handle the numerous characters and tangled situations.  I feel as though I'm mystified when I'm supposed to be mystified and that I know exactly what's going on when I'm supposed to know exactly what's going on.

And, of course, there's the paranoia.  Or is that all in your head?

As for the cast... jeez.  Kurt Russell?  Keith David?  Wilford Brimley?  I challenge anybody to collect a cooler cast than that.

The Big Lebowski.

Great, great, great movie.

Yeah, well, you know... that's just like, my opinion, man.

If you understand that, you'll understand why I love this movie; if you don't, I doubt that I could ever explain...

Ed Wood.  I'm amazed that this movie got made.  I'm even more amazed that this movie got made so well.  As a huge fan of bad movies - I can't tell you how many times I've seen Plan 9 from Outer Space or Monster A Go-Go or Howling II - I was probably one of the few people who was excited to learn that this was coming out.  And it absolutely didn't disappoint.  Okay, it does gloss over some of the more unsavory aspects of Ed Wood's life, and a lot of facts were fudged in the interest of drama and comedy, but it's a fantastic movie nonetheless.  Even if it had been fiction from top to bottom, I would have found it... well, inspirational.  Here's a guy that most people would regard as having no talent, but he never lets it get him down; he follows his heart and he's satisfied with his accomplishments.

Anyway, those are some movies that I like.  Any other fans of The Thing, The Big Lebowski, or Ed Wood here?

Oh, and before I head out, please allow me to commend you guys on the good taste that you've displayed in this thread so far.  Star WarsCasablancaBlade RunnerDuck Soup?  As a fan of Star Wars, a fan of Bogart, a Dickhead, and un Marxiste, tendance Groucho, I'm impressed...

Great thread, halspeedyrp! :)

Spel

* If I tried to list my "top ten" or whatnot, I'd doubtless feel bad for leaving this one out of the list or that one out of the list...

You understand.
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Swedish Steel

Who said Bladerunner? Yeah man, excellent choice, that damn movie is poetic even.
"I've...seen things, things you wouldn't believe."

Damn, I get like 20 movies popping up in my head that are all amazing, but I can't pick one of them.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Sugarman (hal)

I liked Logan's run, the 76 one... old but very interesting.

Go here===> http://www.transparencynow.com/Logan/logtable1.htm
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

Brittlby

My FAVORITE is the newer "The Count of Monte Cristo"... the undeniable brilliance of Alexandre Dumas seamless bonded to the extreme edibility of Guy Pearce.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Lancis

My list in no Particular order.

Aladdin- I identify a lot with the main character, also Robin Williams great performance as the genie.

Princess Bride- Its a classic! I have always liked this movie!

Awakenings- Another Robin Williams movie in which he plays a Doctor, but a much better perfomance I think anyway then "Patch Adams"

Last Action Hero and True Lies- Two Arnold movies where the man proves he can act... on occassion :)

Monty Python- The Grail movie- As always a great movie from the Python clan and by far my favorite work of theirs that met the silver screen... no dead parrots here ;)

Defending your Life- A great and under rated movie of what happens after you die... the "Past Lives Pavilion" makes this worth seeing if you never have!

Anyway thats just a small gathering of movies I like and feel I needed to list here.
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Solace

First off, I reserve the right to reply to this more than once, because I know I'll never remember my entire list in one sitting!

Princess Bride?  Awesome choice.  I attended a wedding once where they did the entire "Wuv, twoo Wuv" speech as a reading.

Logans Run?  Wow.  Talk about bringing back memories.  An audio Drama group I know of are working on releasing a version of it for internet download (www.brokensea.com).

Star Wars 3-6 (of course), Blade Runner (a given), The Thing (I love horror) - I love all of those also.

Cabaret - biting social commentary about an lesser known side to a well documented time in history.  Joel Grey is so surreal he's almost alien, and Liza Minnelli is so believably desperate and despairing.  Uncomfortably I've known people with exactly the same manic behaviour masking many similar insecurities.

When Harry Met Sally - okok, I know it's a classic chickflick, but so what?  It had great comedy, poignant moments, was a wonderful illustration that sometimes the most enduring kinds of love are those that grow over time rather than those that spring upon us nearly fully formed, AND it had a kick ass soundtrack by Mr. Harry Connick Jr.

Godfather 1-3...  They don't really need an explanation do they?

Alien - The original which I still think is the best of the bunch despite a distinct school of thought that favours Aliens ...  Which I also like, though marginally less.  Something about the isolation of the crew in the first film, the sheer terror of not knowing or understanding what they were up against, the absolutely cold logic of the android.  It's still one of the most terrifying films I've ever seen, past or present.

"As the bombshells of my daily fears explode, I try to trace them to my youth." - Indigo Girls, 'Galileo'

SpirituallyAddicted

There's no real order to this as far as most favorite or least favorite. And like others there are a bunch of other movies I love that I'll probably forget to mention.

The Grudge: I liked this movie because it drifted away from the modern day hack-n-slash bloody mess and put the scare back in scary/thriller movies. That little japanese woman freaked me out and the kid was just creepy, it was a good goosebumps movie. The best part... the good guy didn't win.

Crank: An awesome movie, funny as heck and a decent amount of action. The camera effects were really cool, and the story to me seemed original and the best part is I don't think Quentin Tarantino had anything to do with it.

Saw: Not the last two because they became another hack-n-slash but the first one. Not so much because it was a horror movie but because the whole thing was like a puzzle instead of a movie and for me it kept me guessing. I like thinking movies.

Space Balls: The very first Mel Brooks movie I ever watched when I was a kid. The third with the late, great John Candy (in my opinion one of the best comedians in his time). I remember watching it with my brother on Thanksgiving after dinner and Star Wars. Not only a great laugh movie for me but brings back great memories.

Step Up: I hated Dirty Dancing after the hundredth time mom slipped it in the vcr. But this one turned out to be good, good music too even though I'm not a fan of the type. It was a nice love story without the over sappiness of it.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights & Princess Bride: Very funny movies but also I was a teen when I saw them and developed a big crush on Cary Elwes.

Spider-Man: Big marvel comics fan, great job taking it to movie form in my opinion.

Daredevil: Finally a Ben Affleck movie that I liked and actually went along with other women's opinion and found him hot. Plus it's the marvel factor again.

Of coures, Star Wars: The first (or last?) three movies were great. I loved watching the saga of Luke Skywalker taking his journey from whiney little farm boy to kick butt jedi knight. I still cry at the end of Return of the Jedi, it's my Old Yeller!

HairyHeretic

In no particular order ...

Monty Python movies .. the Holy Grail and Life of Brian are my favourite two, but then Monty Python was one of my big comedy influences growing up.

The Marx Brothers .. I have all the movies, but Duck Soup is probably my favourite. Got to love Groucho :)

The Princess Bride ... my sword fight atop the Cliffs of Insanity is a true classic.

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Shaolin Soccer / Kung Fu Hustle - Over the top martial arts comedy.

A lot of Jackie Chans earlier stuff ... Armour of God, Wheels on Meals, Project A .. the ones he did with Samo Hung and Yuen Bu.

I like a lot of oriental stuff, ranging from The Seven Samurai to Akira to Mister Vampire (the original Chinese hopping vampire movie).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sugarman (hal)

Well I just watched the movie Rise: Blood Hunter.

Some movie. Very dark but done well.

rundown: Reporter Sadie Blake (Lucy Liu) awakens to find herself in a morgue, transformed into a member of the undead by a vicious vampire cult. With the help of cop Clyde Rawlins (Michael Chiklis), who lost his daughter to the same sect, Sadie undertakes a mission of revenge against those who took away her life. Carla Gugino and James D'Arcy co-star in this terrifying supernatural thriller. Marilyn Manson appears as a bartender.
"And in the end
The love you take

My On/Off's

Monochromatic

Hooookay. Now for my all time favorite movies.

Labyrinth – This movie has been my all time movie; literally since before I could speak. My mom said when I was younger I wouldn’t sleep unless she had the movie playing on in the background XD. I use to fall asleep to the song “As the World Falls Down”. I’ve never grown out of the movie and I still watch it all the time. I have every DVD and VHS release D=. *Huggles my Labyrinth Action Figure of David Bowie*

Also, it’s just a really good movie all around. I’ve always been a bit of a day dreamer with a big imagination. I believe that this movie is probably the reason for that xD.

Phantom of The Opera – Another one of my favorite movies/musicals. I have almost every version of it, but can say without a doubt that the newest is my favorite.  Can’t really explain why I love it, I just do xD.

Pans Labyrinth – Oh… god… this is the ONLY movie to ever make me cry. Almost everybody I know hates it, but it just did something to me. In my opinion it was beautiful. I love how it tied in reality and fantasy – leaving it hanging so that you wonder if it really happened or was it the imagination of a young girl going through extreme trauma. All around in my opinion it was a fantastic movie that had me on edge the whole time. I’ve watch it several times, and even though I know what happens, I still end up crying.

Edward Scissor Hands – Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Need I say more?