D&D Classic Adventures Interest Thread (Now Closed)

Started by HannibalBarca, January 10, 2018, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

In the UA they have dice pools to optimize the chance of being a given class OR roll 4d6 dropping a die re-rolling '1's' and roll eight times keeping six that is sometimes good enough. I might suggest let people roll in order and keep the results in return for a decent starting magic item going 'Iron Man'.

National Acrobat

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 11, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
In the UA they have dice pools to optimize the chance of being a given class OR roll 4d6 dropping a die re-rolling '1's' and roll eight times keeping six that is sometimes good enough. I might suggest let people roll in order and keep the results in return for a decent starting magic item going 'Iron Man'.

I know he'd mentioned Point Buy Pool upthread, but the UA method with the dice pool is for humans only if you do RAW due to Demi Humans having so many other abilities.

RubySlippers

But point buy doesn't feel ,right, to me I'll do it but part of the fun is trying to qualify for harder to do so classes and if not having to make do.

HannibalBarca

Back home...let's see what I can do to answer questions.

QuoteNow besides the rules changes your keeping all the other rules as normal for character creation, are you limited Unearthed Arcana classes and are you using the racial level limits there are reasons for those humans can't multi-class and that has - advantages.

I'm using Unearthed Arcana as well.  Racial limits, no, because this is less a by-the-book roleplay session than a shared storytelling.  The rules are there to form the framework of the tale we'll tell together.  There will still be dice rolls, but the narrative is more important than the numbers.  This won't be sandbox, and I have a clear path I want to take everyone in as far as plot.

Quote-grins.-  Thanks, Hannibal.  Chula's offered to hold my hand, as well, and guide my through, so the burden isn't on you as much.

That's awesome--thanks Chula!

QuoteI found The Barrens on the map and am reading about Rovers of the Barrens, what sounds like a likely culture. What year would you say this takes place?

It will be around 577 of the Common Year.  I do have background current events that will shape the world as we play through it--it will not be static.  There was a good deal of strife and upheaval written about Greyhawk as the years went by in the real world.  I'll be combining what was done by TSR with things I worked out in some of my older campaigns.  It's not going to be pretty for the Flanaess.

QuoteI don't remember the exact combo but there was always a multiclass (or was it dual class?  It's been a while) from the 2e Dark Sun setting that I wanted to try but never was allowed to touch.  I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again.   Probably be easier than trying to bring back my undead characters that I built but never really got to play.

I never played in the Dark Sun setting, but shoot it my way and I'll see if it will fit.

QuoteI am down for a good old fashioned high elf fighter/mage from Highfolk. Count me as super interested.

I’m currently running one of my RL groups through a high level adventure in the Drow City of Kalan-G’eld located under the Sea of Dust and just started a rp here running the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. I loooooove Greyhawk.

I think I saw that group RP...but don't worry; I won't be using that adventure in this RP.  And we could have our characters familiar with one anther, since Highfolk is right next to the Vesve.

QuoteHee hee... I was thinking of you because I was in your Titties and Dragons game that used 1e-ish rules. I'll probably use the same pic for because it was full of 80s fantasy art goodness but she'll be ever so slightly tamer.

I'm thinking of either magic-user or cleric of Boccob/magic-user, either way she'll be from the City of Greyhawk. 

Lol, I was planning on using Felicity Jones as the avatar for my character.  She looks about as close as I've imagined the character, even if she's an elf and not a human.

This will put us so far at three mage or mage-combo class characters so far.  I have some more melee-based NPCs who will help balance things out though.

QuoteI know he'd mentioned Point Buy Pool upthread, but the UA method with the dice pool is for humans only if you do RAW due to Demi Humans having so many other abilities.

QuoteBut point buy doesn't feel ,right, to me I'll do it but part of the fun is trying to qualify for harder to do so classes and if not having to make do.

We'll be doing point buy pool, probably 80 points. Character stats wont be as important as character personality and background.  I'll keep an eye on things, since I don't want any Mary Sues/Marty Stus, but I expect everyone will be able to craft a believable personality with strengths and weaknesses.  The ability stats are just there to flesh out their class, really, in my eyes.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Annisthyrienne

I think I could handle two posts a week, though they won't likely be as long as my usual story posts.  Then again, they probably won't need to be since this is a group game.  However, since there seem to be many more players interested than you have slots for, what would you say to my character being sort of an NPC?  I mean this in the sense that she might not necessarily need to be fully fleshed out with the stats, (Or you or I could figure them out, just for the record) but I would provide a back story and personality for her.  Nominally she would be a certain race and class, just like a character, but I wouldn't be so concerned with gaining experience and rising up in levels as I would in playing the role within the group/story.

Just an idea, in part because I'm not sure what resources I have as to rules book.  I think I might still have a 2nd Edition ADnD players handbook somewhere.  But I never had 1st edition.  And editions after 2nd ADnD came along without me since I had moved on to other game systems. (Arcanum)

As I mentioned above, I'd like the character to be a half elf female ranger (apprentice?  I highly recommend those books, btw.)  She is more comfortable around humans than 'real elves' because in the community she came from, humans thought her elvish appearance to be an attractive quality, while the pure blood elves looked upon her with the same sort of stigma as an illegitimate child would be.  To them she was a half-breed, a constant reminder that one of their kind 'slummed it' with a human.  So she is never sure of her reception among pure elves, whereas humans didn't judge her as much and generally liked her.

I think she was the daughter of a miller in a small town.  The miller had no sons, so she had to help her family in the mill.  Hoisting around bags of grain and flour has conditioned her to be strong, especially for an elf blooded female.  But what piqued her interest to become a Ranger is when her father or uncle or someone in her family was rescued by a solitary ranger or a ranger patrol when the relative got in some trouble while hunting.  Maybe they were attacked and captured by orcs, or some other enemy or nuisance race or monster.  Since then, she's had a sort of hero worship mindset for rangers, and she finally managed to get herself apprenticed to one.  Perhaps to one of your other NPCs or if someone wants to play a ranger that she might logically be apprenticed to....

That's what I am thinking so far.  I'll find an image to post of her, one that reflects her beginner status.  She'll be proficient with a short bow and probably a simple bladed weapon, like a short sword or at most, a long sword.  She'll also be equipped with a large hunting knife type of thing, which is like a trademark ranger tool.  It's most often used for utility more than fighting, but it could be used in a melee.  It would be bigger than a standard dagger, but more of a slashing/chopping weapon than a stabbing one.  I'm thinking of something like a big Bowie knife in design.  Or heck, maybe it could even just be a hatchet, that she is learning to throw as well as use as a tool.  I'm flexible on that.

Let me know what you think.

Foxy DeVille

Hee hee... I'm leaning toward a half-elf too. Cleric/magic-user and more than a little full of herself since she has so many nifty spells at her fingertips. Not to mention being easy on the eyes because... half-elf. So the campaign won't just help her grow in power but just plain grow up. Or maybe she'll get tempted by the Dark Side.

HannibalBarca

Here's an example of the character sheet we'll be using (my own character here), and I've got the code for it at the end:

Kirien Silverlark

Race: High Elf
Class: Cleric/Mage
Level: 1 / 1
HP: 6
SP: 5 (cleric) / 5 (mage)
AC:
Birthplace: Vesve Kingdom
Current Home: Beratana Village, Gnarley Forest
Deity: Ehlonna
Sexuality: Pansexual

Abilities:
Str: 9
Int: 16
Wis: 16
Dex: 15
Con: 9
Cha: 15

Physical Appearance

Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Green
Height: 4'8"
Weight: 75lbs
Age (Actual/apparent): 237 / 20
Distinguishing Features: Kirien is a slight woman, even for an elf.  Her face seems to have an appearance of eternal youthfulness, although this can be offset somewhat by what comes out of her mouth.  She wears very delicate, thin deerskin gloves on her hands, to cover up a fair number of ugly scars she received when she botched an experimentation with a burning hands spell.  She almost expects comments on her eyes, after over two hundred years of life, but she's a fairly humble person about the rest of her features, which she considers modest.

Personality: That particular combination of smart and wise, which is rare even for elves, though she has a sharp tongue at times, as she doesn't suffer fools.  As an initiate Spellmaiden of the Inner Circle of Ehlonna back in the capital of the elven Vesve Kingdom, she was sheltered and educated to an almost ridiculous degreee, but at least she's aware of some of her lack of experience with the outside world, and tends to be rather humble.  Kirien is wholly dedicated to her goddess and her people, and while she is much more cosmopolitan than many sheltered elves who never leave their realm, she won't brook disparaging speech about her kind.  Other than that, she is a warm and welcoming person, particularly to animals.  She usually opts to hang back and observe before commenting on anything.  The bond she shares with her pseudo-dragon familiar Teria is deep and close, more like a mother to a child than a friend or sibling.  Like many elves, she is fascinated by magic, but due to her study of both divine and arcane magic, she really has an abiding interest in the history of magic, as well as history in general.  More of a bookworm than a go-getter, Kirien knows her physical limitations, but keeps herself in as good a physical condition as her studies and work permits.

Teria is Kirien’s pseudo-dragon familiar, and an exceptionally brilliant one at that.  She spends most of her time within Kirien’s cape or clothing, but pops out now and then to take in the surroundings.  Her hearing is quite good, and will often interrupt conversations she has been listening to while hidden within Kirien’s cape, interjecting telepathic comments.  She is naturally curious, but is also quite cautious, often entreating Kirien to be more careful.  One could go so far as to say she's cowardly, but even a mention of this will wound her dragonish sensibilities.  The truth is, she's been as sheltered as Kirien, has never been in a combat, and is absolutely terrified of fighting in any way.

Backstory/History: Kirien was identified by her parents as gifted with magic at a very young age, as well as perceptive--an old soul if there ever was one.  She was quickly brought to the attention of a dedicated Spellmaiden who was a friend of her mother's sister, and her education was geared towards such a task.  She was an inquisitive child, and even more than most elves showed a fascination and hunger to know about magic.  This precociousness extended into other fields as well, particularly botany, animal husbandry, and history--not just of her people, but of the world in general.

Through her childhood and adolescence, she continued to throw herself into her studies, spending little time with others her age, which had both positive and negative side effects.  She works quite well with others, particularly those who would be considered her elders, and can take a leadership role fairly well, but actually prefers to work alone or in small groups, where she can focus on doing things her way.  She isn't quite an iconolast, but she does like to be her own guiding light.  Romantically, though, she's almost a beginner, and still a virgin...which, for an elf at 237 is quite a remarkable feat.  Surprisingly, she's also a very sexual being, and seems to be able to become aroused at the smallest actions that to others might seem innocuous.

When she was taken in as an initiate Spellmaiden, she was excited, but not as much as she'd expected, after so many years of preparation.  Some of her superiors noticed this, and, while they did not wish to disappoint her parents--who by now had great hopes for her politically and socially--they could see that she was not really the sort of personality who would become an asset to the temple.  Surprisingly for her, she was sent on an assignment to the distant Gnarley Forest, to become a village's live-in healer and apothecarist.  When she arrived, she found the village was a multiethnic mix of elves, half-elves, humans, and halflings, which was precisely what she needed...which was why her understanding superiors had directed her there in the first place. 

She's spent the last five years there, happily assisting the good folk of the village and the countryside.  It was while there that she found that even this blissful life was not long for keeping her happy, and she began to make forays outside the village; then forest, frequenting roadside taverns and inns for gossip and personal interaction.  It was in this way that she became acquainted with her friends in the party, although so far they've only talked of adventuring, and not actually done anything adventurous beyond accompanying some down-on-their-luck merchants a score of miles as caravan guards to the nearest small town, and encountered no troubles.

Secondary Skills (no more than a few): Seamstress, flute player, singer.  Kirien is a fairly good tailor, often sewing her own dresses and other gear.  She's also an accomplished flautist, and every Spellmaiden is required to sing their votives and devotional prayers every day, so she's honed her skills quite well with her voice.

Sexual ons/offs, sexual interests, and miscellaneous sexual details: See player ons/offs.  Aside from her own exploration of her own body, Kirien is devoid of most sexual discoveries even young human adults will have attained.  Partly to blame because of her bookishness, and partly because of her seclusion in the Vesve, Kirien is almost bursting to discover romance and sex, regardless of the gender or race of her possible partners.

Weapons/Armor/Important and Personal Gear:
ironwood staff, carved with holy symbols of Ehlonna and her own name, as well as sigils of the Spellmaidens of the Inner Circle
composite elven shortbow
hip quiver with twelve arrows
2 holy symbols of Ehlonna, one on a necklace, one on a charm bracelet, and one stowed in her backpack
backpack, with standard writing materials, her spellbook, a couple bottles of holy water, healing herbs and bandages
a flute in a finely-carved case, stowed in her pack

Here's the code for the character sheet:

Character example:

[size=24pt][b]Character Name[/b][/size][float=right][img padding=5 height=300][/img][/float]

[hr]
[float=right][img padding=5 height=300][/img][/float]
[b]Race: [/b]
[b]Class: [/b]
[b]Level: [/b]
[b]HP: [/b]
[b]AC: [/b]
[b]Birthplace: [/b]
[b]Current Home: [/b]
[b]Deity: [/b]
[b]Sexuality: [/b]

[b][u]Abilities: [/u][/b]
[b]Str: [/b]
[b]Int: [/b]
[b]Wis: [/b]
[b]Dex: [/b]
[b]Con: [/b]
[b]Cha: [/b]

[hr]

[size=18pt]
[b]Physical Appearance[/b][/size][float=right][img padding=5 height=200][/img][/float]

[b]Hair: [/b]
[b]Eyes: [/b]
[b]Height: [/b]
[b]Weight: [/b]
[b]Age (Actual/apparent): [/b]
[b]Distinguishing Features: [/b]

[hr]

[size=18pt][b]Personality: [/b][/size]

[hr]

[size=18pt][b]Backstory/History: [/b][/size]

[hr]

[size=18pt][b]Secondary Skills (one or two): [/b][/size]

[hr]

[size=18pt][b]Sexual ons/offs, sexual interests, and miscellaneous sexual details: [/b][/size]

[hr]

[size=18pt][b]Weapons/Armor/Important and Personal Gear: [/b][/size]

[hr]
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Bibliophilia

HB, hun, do you prefer pictures or can we use realistic-ish artwork?

HannibalBarca

QuoteLet me know what you think.

I'm good with that, Annisthyrienne.  Rangers were always one of my favorite classes in D&D, and they're so damned useful.  Going a route for your character with less emphasis on the game part and more on the writing, as a sort of NPC, is workable.  We can work out how combat with her will go--if you want me to do most of it, or if you want to work it out together.  Or you could even bring her up to full PC status.

In fact, that's a topic I really need to address.  I've had more people than I was planning for playing, offer to make a character.  What I need to do is go over, on a first-come-first-serve basis, who wants to play, then ask for character sheets first from those who showed interest first.  Those who don't make the cutoff will be kept in consideration as replacements, as there's almost always losses in a group game at some point.

QuoteHee hee... I'm leaning toward a half-elf too. Cleric/magic-user and more than a little full of herself since she has so many nifty spells at her fingertips. Not to mention being easy on the eyes because... half-elf. So the campaign won't just help her grow in power but just plain grow up. Or maybe she'll get tempted by the Dark Side.

She should be interesting, with her classes the same as my character--we'll have to see how she differs in her training or studying and background.

Normally, in a group RP, I make a male character 75% of the time, but this specific female character I'm using is the one I used in prior versions of this plot, so I'm going with what I know and what has worked.  She's also pansexual, and that means she will be open to possible romance/sexual interest from any of the other characters, regardless of gender or race.  Not that I'm planning for an orgy any time soon, but she's a long-lived elf, and I always suspected elves would get bored being pigeonholed into liking just one or two possibilities for a partner.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

HannibalBarca

QuoteHB, hun, do you prefer pictures or can we use realistic-ish artwork?

Photos, artwork, anime...I'm fine with what you want to represent your character as.  I almost went with an image from one of my 1E Greyhawk books that would make her almost an avatar of the goddess she worships:

However, it had been probably a decade since I'd last looked at the picture, and even though I'm not a fan of Star Trek: TNG, I could see the problem and I didn't want my character looking like a fairytale version of Deanna Troi XD
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: HannibalBarca on January 11, 2018, 09:19:38 PM
She should be interesting, with her classes the same as my character--we'll have to see how she differs in her training or studying and background.

Normally, in a group RP, I make a male character 75% of the time, but this specific female character I'm using is the one I used in prior versions of this plot, so I'm going with what I know and what has worked.  She's also pansexual, and that means she will be open to possible romance/sexual interest from any of the other characters, regardless of gender or race.  Not that I'm planning for an orgy any time soon, but she's a long-lived elf, and I always suspected elves would get bored being pigeonholed into liking just one or two possibilities for a partner.

Yeah, I see some roleplaying possibilities there as I see my PC as more urban and arrogant. So they could have some shared background stuff but significant personality differences that could make interaction fun.

And maybe bone down. >:)

Bibliophilia

-giggles.-  All the brunettes in artwork from that era seem to be very Deanna Troi.

HannibalBarca

Looking over this thread, here's a list of who has offered to join, first to last:

Foxy Oni
Zenkai
Muse
National Acrobat
Arcanist
Annisthyrienne
Dhi
Karma Sinclair
Chulanowa
Green Goo Theory
LizzieV
Bibliophilia
RubySlippers

I haven't seen a post from some on the list since the first day, so I might move to the next people on the list.  I was thinking, maybe I should give everyone a shot to play, take character sheets from everyone who sends one in, and pick from those.  This is my first run as a GM here on E, and as much as I'd like to just take everyone, I don't think my plot will handle thirteen characters.  Maybe eight.  I think I can bump up that much and still make it work, but I can't pull a Thorin and Co. out of my hat :P

I'm still in the interest phase of this, however.  I wanted to start by seeing if someone wanted to play, and I guess that got answered pretty quickly!  I didn't expect it to take so much time today to just churn out the character sheet, but part of that was transcribing over the info from my character from documents on my laptop.  I still need to make other threads for the game, as well as pertinent information--if not written in a thread, at least links to stuff we'll need to know.  I own pretty much everything ever written for the City of Greyhawk, but I have to see if any of it is online, or I'm going to be posting a lot of jpegs in a 'maps' thread, for when we go traipsing into the most famous city in the world of Oerth...
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

HannibalBarca

Quote-giggles.-  All the brunettes in artwork from that era seem to be very Deanna Troi.

I'm not complaining; Marina Sirtis is amazeballs...plus, I was a teen in the 80s, and I still look favorably on the hairstyles from that era  ;D  And if I didn't go with a Star Trek woman, I ended up going with a Star Wars one instead...honestly, I knew who Felicity Jones was before Rogue One, and had been wanting to use her as a character portrait for a while.

QuoteYeah, I see some roleplaying possibilities there as I see my PC as more urban and arrogant. So they could have some shared background stuff but significant personality differences that could make interaction fun.

And maybe bone down. >:)

Some competition mixed with cooperation seems inevitable :P
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Bibliophilia

Fluffy hair seems quite popular with the boys.  -giggles.-

Dhi

Annisthyrienne

For combat, I could still roll dice just like anyone else. That would be the fairest thing I think.

HannibalBarca

QuoteFluffy hair seems quite popular with the boys.  -giggles.-

I think it wasn't just the 80s hairstyles, because I liked the short androgynous cuts on women, too.  It probably had a lot to do with my early interest in anime, and the insane hair of a lot of the female protagonists in that medium.

QuoteI'll back out. Have fun all!

You're 7th out of 8 in the list, Dhi, so you're more than welcome to stay...I really liked your character idea.  I hope we'll have a chance to write together eventually!

QuoteFor combat, I could still roll dice just like anyone else. That would be the fairest thing I think.

That's perfectly fine then.  I'm not planning for too much rolling.  I haven't used the dice generators here in a couple of years, actually, so I'm going to refresh myself on them, too :P
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Bibliophilia

I'm torn between two potential ideas...

Thief                                      or                                            Thief

RubySlippers

I prefer to fill in gaps in the group than not, since there is not group I'm at a bit of a loss on what to submit. However I'll whip up something interesting today.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 12, 2018, 12:25:54 AM
I prefer to fill in gaps in the group than not, since there is not group I'm at a bit of a loss on what to submit. However I'll whip up something interesting today.

Well, I've fired off a cleric/mage to the boss who also has one.  I think National Acrobat said he was interested in a fighter/mage and my little eye has seen a couple thieves mentioned.  And there's a possible ranger.  Dunno what will actually pan out but maybe that helps.

RubySlippers

I'll work on a Human Fighter, not the fanciest character class but well with so many scoundrels and magical sorts muscle could be needed. And they are easy to build in a shorter period of time.

HannibalBarca

QuoteI'm torn between two potential ideas...

I think they both look good, but the second one looks more like a 1st level who's about to go on her first adventure :D

QuoteI prefer to fill in gaps in the group than not, since there is not group I'm at a bit of a loss on what to submit. However I'll whip up something interesting today.

I don't mind multiple similar classes, as long as the personalities are different.  If you're looking for something different than the others, we're short some more melee type classes.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

HannibalBarca

QuoteI'll work on a Human Fighter, not the fanciest character class but well with so many scoundrels and magical sorts muscle could be needed. And they are easy to build in a shorter period of time.

That can still be a very broad area to create a character in, from a generic sword-and-shield militia member, to a battle-ax wielding forester, to a duel-armed scimitar blade dancer.  You can look at the map of Greyhawk, check out some of the countries where humans are dominant, and get an idea from some of those--or something from the real world.  Options are countless!
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

RubySlippers

Nope dual weapons are limited to a hand axe or dagger in the off hand, and with double specialization the fighter is ideal for a weapon master focusing on one weapon. But the mighty Dungeon Master can change the rules.