News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[Pathfinder] 2 High Fantasy Game Ideas

Started by Wintercat, June 17, 2013, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'm not sure if I'll beable to make the deadline by tomorrow(well today actually at time of post).

We'll see though.  :-)

Question Mark

Hey, got my first Wi-Fi signal in 8 days here in Port au Prince airport.  Unfortunately, all I have is half an hour and my iPod, so I can't finish Ada now.  I'll be returning to my house later than I had expected due to extenuating circumstances, approximately 1 am tonight.  I'll do my best to complete my profile then, but forgive me if I enjoy my first hot shower and cold beer in over a week first!  Still, I'd like to elaborate on Ada a bit, and respond to your summary Wintercat.

On the Chelaxian/Varisian fluff: I originally made this character for another game that would follow the Pathfinder Society adventure in Varisia.  He was level 1, and his backstory was built for the setting.  Unfortunately, that particular game never got off the ground, but I liked the character too much to just give him up, so I decided to adapt him to this game.  Since much of his gear, skills, spells, etc. were the same, I used the same sheet.  He was half-transformed when I left, so pretty much all of the fluff is inaccurate.  His new backstory will be roughly as follows: he was a farmer who lost his family and discovered his sorcery in his grief.  Thinking his time is limited after a magical accident injures his heart, he sets out into the world to live an exciting life before he dies.  Along his travels, he comes across the academy and decides to "enroll" for a short time for XYZ reasons.  Still a WIP, but them's the basics.

Time to board.  Thanks for your patience.

Wintercat

Oh, no worries, I'd just like to get the game started on the 8th, but if there's a clear reason I did mention I'd wait. I was originally planning to make the decision on the 5th, but thinking it over it seemed best to let people prepare during the weekend, and I'll set the game post up on Monday. Included in the OOC thread then will also be the list of players, though I do think if everyone's ready it would be good to have the ideas set on Sunday.

Question Mark, I understand that reasoning and I considered it a possibility, merely its presence sort of threw me off a little, causing me to wonder. I will look forward to seeing your work.

Same with EFA, I'll try and wait a bit more, if necessary getting the game post up on Monday and only then having the call.

Keep in mind, I don't need 100% ready as long as I know the player is commited and interested. Little things can be worked together during the start anyhow.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Muse

*Grins* 

Sounds like a great group is shaping up.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

spooky

I have taken The Oath of Drake.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Committed and interested, just behind character creation for other campaigns so might be a little late, so do not wait on my. Will hopefully get something up soon.

Foxfyr

Ooo, I like the notion of playing Tavah from a standpoint where there would be a fair amount of prejudice against him. I could definitely see that being a great source of character development.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Nalin Goodhammer

Nalin grew up in a large underground dwarven city, a member of the Goodhammer clan. The Goodhammers were a clan that valued martial prowess, honor and strength. They sought to protect those that could not protect themselves and strived to make the word a better place through their faith in Amathos. The Goodhammer clan assisted in the fighting against Mortanius. In preparation for Mortanius' possible return(or a threat just as great), his training began when he was rather young, following the in traditions of his clan.

It was a role that he happily accepted and rose to meet every challenge laid down before him. His faith in Amathos seemed natural, very since he was young, his free time was spent reading over her holy texts. This did not change in his early adulthood when he joined the military. He served in the dwarven military for a couple of decades, solidifying the martial training that would allow him to fully serve Amathos. For the last 15 years he has been a dedicated soldier of his church, going where needed. His most resist assignment being to assist the Academy in Human lands.

Question Mark

Here you go, the more or less finished product.  Gear, spells, skills, feats, and stats are all finished, but I'm having difficulty writing a meaningful bio when I don't know much about the setting.  I'll see if I can't crunch through something in the next few minutes.  Still, this should be adequate for the game!

Ada Stonewrought, the Banner of Mount Alister
Level 5 Human Sorcerer, Draconic Bloodline
Charismatic Stranger, Experienced Explorer, Talented Archer, Clever Illusionist, Support Caster

Ability Score Rationale
STR (10): Average person, not especially strong nor weak.  His constant travel and use of the bow keeps him lean and wiry, more dextrous than strong.
DEX (16): He is naturally dextrous due to his lanky frame and a steady hand.  The +2 racial bonus is due to his years of practice via archery.
CON (8): His initial foray into magic resulted in a minor heart attack.  Although he recovered, the experience left him with a heart condition, making him physically vulnerable to trauma and injury.
INT (16): He has a sharp mind, above average, and can learn most anything if he focuses on it long enough.  This is further enhanced by the Headband of Mental Prowess he wears, giving him an additional +2 bonus.
WIS (14): Ada is very perceptive and aware of his surroundings, and years of travel have expanded his once narrow world view.  On the rare occasion he speaks, Ada enjoys philosophical discussions.  That said, he is still prone to developing tunnel vision and ignoring what he deems to be "unnecessary" parcels of information.
CHA (21): Although quiet and naturally introverted, Ada's striking appearance, straightforward honesty, and unflagging determination give him a charismatic gravitas.  The rigorous development of his inborn magical talent has further increased his appeal, resulting in a +1 attribute bonus.  In addition, his Headband of Mental Prowess grants a +2 bonus.

Summary and Ancillary Notes
  • Summary: Ada was a grief-stricken farmer who, upon learning of his latent magical potential, abandoned his farm and struck out into the world to become a traveler.  In the past five years, he has evolved from a backwards country bumpkin to a worldly explorer who's well on his way to seeing it all.
  • Appearance: Tall with handsome, albeit sharp, features.  His lanky build, angular face, and olive skin indicate a mixed heritage.  His clothing is fine and well made to the common eye, but surprisingly durable and travel-proof underneath its rich appearance.  Ada proudly wears the colors of his dynastic heritage -- jet black and vibrant orange -- either unaware or unconcerned of the attention such eye-catching colors will attract.  His sharp features, colorful and fine clothing, and the distinctive Bow of Alister ensure that Ada's face is not one to be easily forgotten.
  • Combat: Quiet and kind, Ada prefers to avoid combat when he can, preferring to talk his way out of tense situations.  If that fails or is unfeasable, he'll make use of his growing skill with illusions to evade or hide from enemies until he can sneak past.  When he must fight, Ada prefers to use his magical abilities to keep his opponents distracted and at a distance while he peppers them with arrows.  If they close with him, he can use his draconic claws for a short time until he manages to get some distance.  If he's losing, Ada has no compunction against using illusions or trickery to flee or hide.
  • Personality: Ada is a man of dualities.  He is kind and compassionate, but can be callous when impatient and suffers from a short temper.  He possesses great charisma, and yet he's reluctant to befriend others, and prefers to keep people at a distance.  Despite his intelligence and discerning instinct, he is prone to tunnel vision, and can even be ignorantly defiant when confronted with unpleasant or conflicting information.  Although intelligent and thoughtful, he believes he is not long for this world, and so is prone to taking risks or making snap decisions "just because."
  • Alignment: Being Neutral Good, Ada acknowledges the usefulness of law and order in creating a prosperous society, but also realizes that Lawful Good can occasionally become Lawful Stupid.  As such, he has no compunction against disregarding laws or customs he finds unwise, pointless, or obstructive.  Being a man who is convicted and sincere in his beliefs, Ada will even take pride in breaking these unnecessary social mores, and may conflict with authorities on the matter.  He treats oaths a similar way: he prefers to keep to his word, but he won't be losing any sleep over a broken promise.

Bio
Ada was born one of many children, on a farm in a remote corner of the world.  It was a peaceful and steady life.  His parents had secured a large plot of arable land in a region dominated by rocky tors and limestone flats, and every autumn brought impressive profits in the markets of the nearby town.  By the time Ada was of age to work the fields, his parents had already begun hiring laborers.  When Ada was old enough to own land himself, the farm had tripled in size.  His father said that Gaun had blessed their farm, while his mother insisted that it had been Dia's luck that had brought them success.  Ada, never a pious man, did not care much either way, and spent his free time satisfying his wanderlust by roaming the nearby countryside, practicing archery in anticipation of one day owning the Bow of Alister.

His father had told him that the Bow had been forged on the burning peak of Mount Alister, in a time when their ancestors had lived on the slopes of the mighty mountain, far to the south and east in lands forgotten by time.  According to legend, the brass dragon Alisterix had forged the bow and given it to her lover, saying that for as long as her draconic blood ran in their descendant's veins, the Bow of Alister would stay true to their line.  Whoever wielded it would be the Banner of Mount Alister, the scion of her noble lineage.

One by one, Ada's many siblings departed the farm.  Some by the southern road, others by Than's hand.  Eventually, only a 19 year old Ada remained.  When his elderly parents and a quarter of the laborers were taken by a pox, the farm -- and the Bow -- passed to him.  He married, siring a daughter, and continued running the farm.  It was not the life he wished to live, but he saw no other choice.  The farm was where his family was, and dozens of other families were dependent on his leadership.  He could not bring himself to leave.

Eight years prior, Ada's wife fell from a horse, breaking her neck against a tor.  Not long after, his daughter left the farm to join the bards college.  While trying to cope with his grief from his wife's death, Ada discovered his latent magical spark.  It seemed that Alisterix's blood flowed strong through his veins, and suddenly a vast potential appeared in front of him.  Ada readily embraced the sorcerer inside of him, using the development of his magical skills to cope with his grief.  He sought out a sorcerer in the nearby town and studied under her tutelage.  When she passed away from old age, she left her sizable library of magical tomes to him, allowing Ada to continue his education.  He eventually realized that he couldn't bury his past with sorcery alone; he'd have to leave his farm behind, and seek out a new life in the open world.

During his training, he erred in casting a spell, seriously injuring himself and leaving him with a weakened heart.

As the years went by, he withdrew from his duties at the farm, and eventually passed the majority of the responsibilities on to someone else.  Five years ago, Ada finally judged himself ready to set out and begin his new life.  Worried that his weak heart would result in an early death, he traveled the world with unbridled enthusiasm.  He sought out the great cities and gazed upon ancient artifices raised by primordial man.  He climbed mountains and crossed oceans, following the winds and his whims.  He did not want to be a great hero or a famous name, simply a faceless traveler, never staying in one place longer for a fortnight, with no responsibilities or needs beyond his own.  He relished the anonymity and freedom this life granted him, but as his skills with bow and sorcery grew, so did a desire for purpose.

After four years on the road, Ada sought out the academy, hoping he could find a goal to dedicate the remainder of his short life to in those esteemed halls.

Sample
You see him from a mile off; any half-blind fool could.  His dark brown hair stands a full head above the average man in the crowd, crowning an angular and dark skinned face.  The smooth, thin end of a longbow of fine make pokes above his left shoulder.  Through the bustle of limbs and bodies clogging the city's thoroughfare, you glimpse flashes of bright orange contrasted against midnight black.  The cloth is fine, suggesting a fat coinpurse or wealthy sponsor, but the way he moves indicates that the rich stranger is no easy mark.  He takes each step deliberately, sliding through the crowd like smoke through the branches of a tree.  Dark eyes periodically scan the surroundings, switching between impressed awe and suspicious alertness.  So he was new to the city then, unlikely to be involved with any of the sticky politics that the council and Lord-Mayor indulge in.

As you begin to wonder why the colorful stranger is in your city, a bulky man roughly bumps into him.  You easily spot the flash of a dagger as the clumsy cutpurse robs the poor fellow.  Without missing a beat, the tall outsider whirls around, an orange and black fletched arrow suddenly in hand.  The crowd parts around the ongoing unpleasantness, not wanting to get involved, and incidentally giving you a better view.  The outsider has the blade of the arrowhead pressed against the cutpurse's throat, his free hand holding the thief firmly in place by the shoulder.  The bulky man's eyes bulge as his would-be victim whispers something in his ear, and he hastily returns the stolen coinpurse.  After a moment's hesitation, he gives him his own coinpurse as well.

As the cutpurse scurries away into a nearby alley, the colorful stranger melds back into the crowd.  You smile to yourself.  Turns out you were right about him being no easy mark, but that won't stop you.  It just means you'll have to get creative.

Stats

Ada Stonewrought
Level 5 Human Sorcerer

Status unknown.
HP: 29/29
Subdual: 29/29
Hit Dice: 5d6
Init: +5

Saves
Fort: +1
Reflex: +4
Will: +6

Defense
AC: 14
Touch: 13
Flat: 11
CMD: 15

Offense
Melee: +2
Ranged: +5
Bow of Alister: 1d8+1 (x3), 100 ft.  Magical.  Point-Blank Shot, Arcane Strike, Gravity Bow (2d6+1)
Claws (x2): 1d4 (x2).  Magical.  Uses left: 8/8 rounds

Spell Slots
Cantrips- ∞
1st - 8/8
2nd - 5/5

Inash

Sorry,  I'll try to finish up tomorrow afternoon.  I lost track of where I was on this.

Wintercat

Alright, it seems we have 8 people in different stages of readiness. I am ready to start off this game today, and have been waiting to see if the folks are ready. I am impressed with your work, Question Mark, and I definitely want Ada along for this tale. Still, I'm waiting a bit about what is the end result between our Clerics.

In the meanwhile, I think a few cast members are clear.

Accepted
Muse
Callie del Noire
Ixy
Loki Aesir
Question Mark

Waiting
Inash
EroticFantasyAuthor

Reserve
spooky

Alright, my apologies first off to spooky. I like your magus, but with two warriors, and a combat-ready archer plus a rogue bring in a lot of fighting prowess. Two full casters, meaning a cleric as well as a sorcerer do complement the group well. I did consider including all 8 people that have shown interest so far, but I have encountered difficulties keeping a large group together in games that go on for a fair while, and that groups beyond 6 player characters tend to slow down tremendously during combat.

However, I will ask a player vote on this: If people feel its worth the risk, I can include everyone, nobody goes to reserve, but it does add a little risk. In the meanwhile, I'll look forward to seeing the characters fully completed and with a bit of description to them.

I'll post the OOC thread and the IC thread next, to NC-Exotic System Small Groups board, just in case. Its been a default board for me to use usually, though it is a 'just in case' choice, not meaning anything of particular nature has to take place, merely opening the possibility. If people prefer, I can also ask for the posts to be later moved to a different board.

I'll post here with the links, or edit them in to this post, once the game posts are up.
OOC Thread is up.
IC Thread is up.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Inash

Ebirc Aldonat
M NG Human Cleric, Level 5, Init +0, HP 39/39, Speed 20
AC 20, Touch 10, Flat-footed 20, Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +9, Base Attack Bonus 3   
+1 Battle Aspergillum  6 (1d6+1, x2)
+1 Breastsplate, +1 Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +3 Shield)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 14
Condition None
Domains:  Healing, Magic

Background:

Ebric hails from a temple of Jeal near the academy.  Its location and purpose made it a target during Mortanius's uprising.  It was razed and subsequently rebuilt.  Ebric was orphaned at a very early age due to the troubles surrounding Mortanius, <sorry, I don't have a feel for how long ago it was.>  and was taken in and raised by the temple during its rebuilding.  This has left him with a strange combination of sheltered upbringing and having 'seen everything' as a healer.  So while the side effects of the 'stimulant' an old Lord might use to enjoy his new bride don't earn a raised eyebrow (call the healer if it has been more than 4 hours...), the point of most children's games completely eludes him.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Character post updated with character background, let me know if anything needs adjusted/changed.

I vote that everyone gets in, it should work if we all help each other remain active.

Inash

I, for entirely noble reasons I assure you, vote withEroticFantasyAuthor on this.

Muse

:)  I'm all about a group with a strong arcane and divine arm. 

Also, d20 system anticipates adventurers in increments of four.  So if you think you can handle eight, the system can too. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Question Mark

I still maintain that the smaller the group, the better.  Less people means less delays, less confusion, and less drama.

Foxfyr

I'm in agreement with Question Mark with this one. Play by post RPs tend to get clunky around or beyond the 6 player mark, doubly so for any involving a system. It is all too common that I see a story brought down because people are waiting forever for a response or for their turn to come around.

However, if we do allow everybody in, I recommend we put things in place in an attempt to make things run more smoothly. Things such as removing a post order, group battle initiatives so the party can post their move at any time, and possibly even enacting some sort of posting deadline policy to keep things moving.

Wintercat

I tend to agree with Question Mark and Loki Aesir, I decided I'd bring the thought up since I've seen folks do a good bit of work and 8 isn't a huge stretch from 6, but still, I think it does carry a noteworthy risk of stalling a game.

I can agree with the group-initiative easily enough, it makes things a lot easier too, not having to wait around. As for the posting delays, I wait 2 days for people to post and then move on. For example, everyone gets a chance to post during this Tuesday for the starting thread, and tomorrow on Wednesday I'll continue on, at latest. I might enter a small post today in reply to those who have posted.

So it seems, 3 people vote for allowing everyone in, 2 people vote against, and no comments from 3 others.

I find myself most comfortable with 3-4, and can run a game with 5 or 6, but beyond that seems likely to create some chaos at least, but I'll wait and see. Either way, all those already approved should feel free to make their entry post.
A&A

Inash

So we are waiting on votes from Callie del Noire, Ixy, and Spooky?  But 8 would give us enough to safely split the party... Nooooo don't split the party.  Inash, shut up and get more coffee, you've gone loopy.

Ixy

Smaller is better in this case; it's easy to lose track of who did what and when.  I like small groups, personally, but I hate excluding anyone; I want to go with Wintercat's original split, as the GM should decide who goes where.

Thanks... will post more tonight.

Callie Del Noire

Playing catch up. Will post tonight. I'm good with pretty much anything the other players settle on.

EroticFantasyAuthor

As long as everyone is responsible and sticks with their obligations to the campaign, 8 players really shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to bookmark the campaigns threads and check on it regularly for updates.

spooky

... somehow I wasn't sure I got a vote. I'm all for an 8 man group.
I have taken The Oath of Drake.

Inash

So, 4 for, 3 against, 1 abstain.  3 of the 'fors' are those who will benefit most, and the DM is very hesitant to go beyond 6.  I think that describes the situation.  What is the ruling?

Wintercat

Ultimately, I think that a group beyond 6 is hard to manage properly and adds its own risks. While I am willing to try, I think the numbers speak for themselves. Most of those who would agree are those who are undecided on, and those who disagree with adding new ones tend to be the ones that are already secure in the game. Still, 8 people can be managed, and I am willing to try it.

That means I keep the game moving though, and if the deadline to post is missed the game moves on with those who have posted, others can be along quietly at that point or if in combat, miss that round, so forth. Being gone long enough will be probably seen as having abandoned the game if that occurs.

Sadly, I do figure there may be a drop-out or two, that seems to be something that happens for various reasons in a lot of games, and why I was considering having a couple of people ready to jump in if something like that occurs, but for now, all 8 can join along and let's see how things go.

(TL;DR:  Alright, all 8 can play)
A&A